[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled. 2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/lit/ - Literature

View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 7 KB, 141x150, joyce.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20794556 No.20794556 [Reply] [Original]

"Last man standing claims the permanent name 'Penelope's Bloom' with whatever trip" edition, and it's gonna be me

Ithaca: 22403 words; 6 days
Penelope: 24059 words; 6 days

Last thread >>20770873

>> No.20794558
File: 45 KB, 276x1741, ulysses_schedule.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

3 days left of Ithaca and Penelope to soon follow

>> No.20794700
File: 91 KB, 287x176, 85746227-852F-4E93-9BB3-92D927946299.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20794556
>it's gonna be me
I think you will win. I finished a week ago and would like to carry on but got permabanned for posting an Eric Clapton album (in jest, of course) and maybe i should really just stop using 4chan anyways. It was a fun ride

>> No.20794910

>>20794556
My first comment in the whole read of the whole Joyce's Ouvre here.
This Irish man changed my life. A Portrait changed my life. Ulysses is changing my life.
Bloom is the most human a human can be. The funny part? The fucker don't exist. His house, his family, his journey, his day, was invented, maybe just like the life and journey of Odysseus, maybe just like the life and journey of Socrates, maybe just like the life and journey of Jesus. But they all are humans of the most human to me, and they all changed my life.
Thank you OP.
Thank you /lit.
Thank you Joyce.
Here, I don't know if I thank Homer and Plato for inventing their "characters". Still, i'm glad of had read them.

>> No.20795156

>samefag general dies the second that the samefag bumps it all the time
Colour me surprised

>> No.20795271

>>20794556
>someone saved my low-effort mspaint edit
heeheehee

>> No.20795364

>>20794556
op here! thank you so much for beginning the new thread.

>> No.20795936

bump

>> No.20795983

>>20795271
It perfectly encapsulates Ulysses

>> No.20796309
File: 9 KB, 401x323, where.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ulysses illustrated...
... in ms paint.

>> No.20797127

Necro'd. Who here still reading?

>> No.20797147

>>20794910
> His house
I believe his house does exist. Saw a video, where dude says Joyce asks his aunt to go measure how high Bloom would have to jump.
It should be one of the three Ithaca vids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QjOr4tUNnM&list=PLxlGs_Xj2HYA8P6E2Jy6Ub9m7eqs-9lcU&index=27

I agree that there’s so much in this book, I will have to read it again and again.

>> No.20797739

And caught up! I really like Joyce's use of the stars and astronomy in this chapter. It really makes me feel lonely. Bloom and Stephen must feel the same way.

>> No.20798265
File: 476 KB, 1000x1519, Portrait_de_Dante.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20797739
>I really like Joyce's use of the stars and astronomy
You should read the Divine Comedy

>> No.20798272

>mfw Joyce pronounces it oolisays

>> No.20798404
File: 174 KB, 800x1214, 800px-James_Joyce_by_Alex_Ehrenzweig,_1915_cropped.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reposting from the last thread:
Where do you think Stephen goes after leaving the Bloom household?
Will Stephen and Bloom ever meet again?

>> No.20798413

>>20798265
I got to the 7th level of Hell and stopped because I started Ulysses.

>> No.20798772

>>20798272
Yes similar to Ouranus to Ooranus- to Uranus to your anus.

>> No.20798885

>>20798272
where? i've only heard 2 recordings of his voice

>> No.20799506

What did anon think of Ithaca?

I found the chapter to be beautifully written, with many a scenes nostalgic.

What was nostalgic about the scenes anon did not mentioned?

It reminded anon of the many times where his family would have guest over and they would feed and give drink to them, and how his grandmother would boil water or milk and make hot cocoa.
It made him think of the nights where the full moon was out, and he would hide behind walls, peeking out to see if the bright pale moon was still following him.

What do other anons thought of the chapter?

>> No.20799603

>>20799506
I've got 20 pages left but I agree, beautifully written. The thought of Bloom and Stephen seeing a shooting star together while pissing was kind of heartwarming. And then Stephen was gone and Bloom realized he was left alone and recounted all the people who he had lost. That whole section was very good, very Odysseus, remembering how he's the last one left after all his travels.

>> No.20799979

How many times have you all read Ulysses?

>> No.20800543

>>20799979
this is my first time. and certainly not my last.

>> No.20800678

I've only just started Scylla and Charybdis

>> No.20800802

>>20798413
Inferno doesn't relate well with stars(with an exception at the end), you should make an effort to finish it and start with Purgatory

>> No.20800899
File: 2.50 MB, 4313x2952, ulysses, joyce, sinbad the sailor and tinbad the tailor and whinbad the whaler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

done.
beautiful.
will post highlights later today.

>> No.20800949

>>20799979
My first time too. Also not my last. But given how involved it is, I will have to make time for it again later.

>> No.20801055

>>20799979
Read it once. Won't read it again. Ullyses is really something, but the only lesson I took away from this book is the human ability to create meaning from the meaningless.

>> No.20801317

>The irreparability of the past:

>socalled fixed stars, in reality evermoving wanderers from immeasurably remote eons to infinitely remote futures

>its universe of divisible component bodies of which each was again divisible in divisions of redivisible component bodies, dividends and divisors ever diminishing without actual division till, if the progress were carried far enough, nought nowhere was never reached.

>[...] though an apogean humanity of beings created in varying forms with finite differences resulting similar to the whole and to one another would probably there as here remain inalterably and inalienably attached to vanities, to vanities of vanities and to all that is vanity.

>the attendant phenomena of eclipses, solar & lunar, from immersion to emersion, abatement of wind, transit of shadow, taciturnity of winged creatures, emergence of nocturnal and crepuscular animals, persistence of infernal light, obscurity of terrestrial waters, pallor of human beings.

>Silent, each contemplating the other in both mirrors of the reciprocal flesh of theirhisnothis fellowfaces.

>The cold of interstellar space, thousands of degrees below freezing point or the absolute zero of Fahrenheit, Centigrade or Reaumur: the incipient intimations of proximate dawn.

>Of what did bellchime and handtouch and footstep and lonechill remind him?
>Of companions now in various manners in different places defunct:

>From infancy to maturity he had resembled his maternal procreatrix. From maturity to senility he would increasingly resemble his paternal procreator.

>Nadir of misery:

>sound without echo, desired desire.

>the continued product of seminators by generation: the continual production of semen by distillation: the futility of triumph or protest or vindication: the inanity of extolled virtue: the lethargy of nescient matter: the apathy of the stars.

>What moved visibly above the listener's and the narrator's invisible thoughts?

>He rests. He has travelled.

>> No.20801742

>>20799979
This is my second time.

>> No.20802820

bump. raise your hands if you're still reading!

>> No.20802864

>>20802820
Checking in. Got 13 pages left in Ithaca and I'll either finish that tonight over dinner or tomorrow before my morning meeting. It's been nice to have this group be here to encourage me to read.

>> No.20803785

>>20802864
this group has been great. probably the best read-along on /lit/.
my only regret is that the anon who promised to tell us about his crossdresser stephen theory never did so.

>> No.20803867

Almost finished Ithaca. Probably will have to wait until tomorrow to read the rest though since I'm spending time with friends this evening.
I'm grateful this read-along was started. I've been dancing around reading Ulysses for a while and this finally motivated me enough to do it. Well worth the time and effort.

>> No.20804448

>>20803785
My first read along. I started with portrait didn’t get to do Dubliners.
It really was great. These last chapters have been slower but anons write thoughtful posts.

>> No.20804587

>>20803785
As long as we can keep strong. It's crazy to think that we started Dubliners with so many people actively reading it. I guess Ulysses really ended up being a filter.

>> No.20805185

>>20804587
The jump between even Dubliners and Portrait can be a bit of a challenege but Ulysses is a different level. There's no shame in being filtered by something like Oxen. In saying that, everyone who did stay just became much more capable because of it.

>> No.20806087

before we move on, can anybody explain what this means exactly?

>What moved visibly above the listener's and the narrator's invisible thoughts?

>> No.20806092

>Equanimity?
>As natural as any and every natural act of a nature expressed or understood executed in natured nature by natural creatures in accordance with 684his, her and their natured natures, of dissimilar similarity. As not as calamitous as a cataclysmic annihilation of the planet in consequence of a collision with a dark sun. As less reprehensible than theft, highway robbery, cruelty to children and animals, obtaining money under false pretences, forgery, embezzlement, misappropriation of public money, betrayal of public trust, malingering, mayhem, corruption of minors, criminal libel, blackmail, contempt of court, arson, treason, felony, mutiny on the high seas, trespass, burglary, jailbreaking, practice of unnatural vice, desertion from armed forces in the field, perjury, poaching, usury, intelligence with the king's enemies, impersonation, criminal assault, manslaughter, wilful and premeditated murder. As not more abnormal than all other parallel processes of adaptation to altered conditions of existence, resulting in a reciprocal equilibrium between the bodily organism and its attendant circumstances, foods, beverages, acquired habits, indulged inclinations, significant disease. As more than inevitable, irreparable.

>As more than inevitable, irreparable.
A part of me wants to bemoan that this line is true and anyone getting married should expect this. Another part of me wants to say Bloom had this coming after not drilling his wife for over ten fucking years after Rudy died. And I think I read correctly: Molly only has been cheating on Bloom for about nine months and a day, now.

>>20806087
It's a pretty straightforward line. As Molly and Bloom lay in bed and think about their day and all their complications, what is happening in the room around them? The next line describes the reflection of the lamp light on the ceiling.

>> No.20806312

Geetings, fellows! Apologies for the silence during the last few chapters, I had almost no time between readings to do a write up. I'm sorry, but I have read ahead of schedule and just finished Ulysses this hour. I am by no means an intelligent person, as a matter of fact I am closer to mental retardation than the average IQ of an Amerifag, let alone Eurobros lmao. Anyway, this was a wild ride. The most wild, in fact, of my reading history. This book opened my eyes to what literature can be. This was one of the most interesting reads of my life and, anons, I am ever grateful to have experienced this with you all and wouldn't trade it for the world. You retards really made this brick fun to read. Thank you. I will make another reply soon detailing some more closing thoughts, highlights, and questions. Thank you, Joyceboros. Godspeed.

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action