[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.65 MB, 3840x2160, Post-Apocalypse town.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20774885 No.20774885 [Reply] [Original]

Post-Apocalypse town Edition

Previous Thread:>>20768073

>Recommended reading charts (Look here before asking for vague recs)
https://mega.nz/folder/kj5hWI6J#0cyw0-ZdvZKOJW3fPI6RfQ/folder/guIyhAzS

>Archive
>>/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=sffg

>Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg

>> No.20774928

Bakker will never rule supreme

>> No.20774938

>>20774885
Can I skip the Shallan chapters? I disliked her character from the very beginning but now that the stupid bitch started lying about literally everything for no reason I outright hate her and can’t stand to read her chapters anymore. I’m still in the first third of Words of Radiance and while it has been pretty solid so far the recent developments around Shallan doing this whole „con“ bullshit is making me sick. Maybe skip the chapters and only read the last two pages to see what happened.

>> No.20774951
File: 178 KB, 809x1200, 71Nc4m2FIJL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>never interested in Bakker despite all the Bakker-posting
>someone links me some random retard on Youtube calling his Prince of Nothing series as misogynistic and sexist
>suddenly I feel like reading him
I also dig the cover art for the books, really nice artwork.

>> No.20774958
File: 70 KB, 560x432, drunk owen wilson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20774938
skip the entire book and read something good

>> No.20774963
File: 2.08 MB, 415x498, 9468.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Book 3 of DCC
I hope the author will actually develop this Katia Grim character instead of just giving some throwaway lines ("Mordecai liked her") cause so far she's been pretty useless while still getting freebies. Also, I must have missed something cause I don't understand why Donut agreed readily to Hekla asking for help.

>> No.20774972
File: 236 KB, 918x800, 1643516875328.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I dont love Mistborn #2

>> No.20774985
File: 283 KB, 720x1013, 1593270341296.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just finished reading Riftwar and one of the main characters marries a Milf Elf Queen who has grown children.
Does anyone know of other fantasy books/series with older women?

>> No.20774997

>>20774985
Black Company

>> No.20775003

>>20774951
I'm reading it now and it's just... alright.
The world is interesting but there's something that I can't quite put my finger on about his writing style that gives me a headache.

>> No.20775011

>>20774985
Paladin of Souls

>> No.20775018

>>20775003
I like the prose, though the unusual names bombarding me right from the get go threw me off for a bit.

>> No.20775093

Ah, fuck me, I'm passing a webnovel to read Prince of Nothing next. I'm already missing much as it is by seeing bakker spammers posts.
Time to leanr what's with that misogyny, grimdark and pseudo-philosophy. I hope the woman-hate is real, I need a counter-balance after reading only modern stuff for a while

>> No.20775100

Why is everything being put out recently either completely farcical, or obscenely edgy?

>> No.20775128

>>20775093
People calling Bakker a misogynist is so dumb. You can write a misogynistic character without being one. His world is a patriarchy, as was our world until the last hundred odd years.

>> No.20775148

>>20775128
>People calling Bakker a misogynist is so dumb. You can write a misogynistic character without being one. His world is a patriarchy, as was our world until the last hundred odd years.
I was exaggerating, I know it's unlikely for the book to be actually misogynistic. It's just that reading book after book where sex doesn't matter no one even acknowledges a single difference between male and female is exhausting. I'd prefer to read something more grounded in reality.

>> No.20775161

>>20775128
He writes a society of genius monks who base every decision on logic and then has them decide the best thing to do with women is to turn them into baby factories.
It's absolutely authorial misogyny because he sabotages his own worldbuilding to include it.

>> No.20775167

>>20775161
dont forget they are superhuman swordsmen also

>> No.20775189

>>20774951
>>20775128
People who claim The Second Apocalypse is misogynistic are genuinely retarded. I was actually looking forward to it because I found that I greatly enjoy books which are labeled as „misogynistic“. But in this case I was disappointed. One of the female main characters starts as a literal prostitute that enjoys her job but ends up as supreme queen of the empire, with all men and women regardless of status having to bow to her and with her sins forgiven (according to Kellhus). This is exactly the modern female fantasy: „Do whatever you want, sleep around, be a subhuman, cheat and betray but when you finally decide to stop everyone must love and respect you!“ Then, the next female main character in TAE (also a prostitute) receives very special treatment as well. I don’t want to spoil too much so I’ll leave it at that. Just because you don’t have some overpowered witty female warrior that is good at everything from the get-go doesn’t make the series misogynistic.

>> No.20775190

>>20775161
Holy fucking based. Maybe the Bakkerfags were right all along

>> No.20775219

>>20774958
No, I’ll keep reading. It’s been very enjoyable so far. Only the Shallan parts are absolute crap.

>> No.20775221
File: 143 KB, 252x276, 1629513405139.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Crossroads of Twilight
>*Elaine takes a bath*
Holy shit why? Why is this happening? This is the worst fucking PoV in entire series. And it never ends. The circus/Nynaeve's PoV in Fires of Heaven looks like Dumai's Whell compared to THIS. Hell I even like Nynaeve's PoVs and her character now but I start hating Elaine more and more thanks to her shitty PoVs. Why is JR like this? Where are my UOHHHHHHHH TUON EROTIC chapters? Where is my boy Rand? I hate it.

>> No.20775242

>>20775221
you got memed into reading wot

>> No.20775264

>>20775161
Is this bait? What's a more logical role for women than mothers?

>> No.20775282
File: 17 KB, 720x1001, 1654653895463.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20775242
I like reading wot.

>> No.20775289

poodon pooderson author of pooborn the poo of kings

>> No.20775359

>>20775289
For all the hate Sanderson gets here he's not that bad by fantasy genre standards. He's far above the worst fantasy has to offer. And the best this genre has is not that many tiers above Sanderson.

>> No.20775471

>>20774963
Donut is a fan of Hekla

>> No.20775476
File: 63 KB, 317x475, dragon strike.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I read the fourth book of Age of Fire (or the first of the second trilogy? Hard to tell) and I'm dissapointed. It's not that quality dipped, although I'd say it did, but because the series has little to offer after its first two books. Maybe the author had some big plan - it would appear so basing on all the set-ups he'd made throughout the story - but in the end it all fizzled out. The dialogues and characters in the fourth book sucked, extremely so. Not just in idea, but in quality and writing. It was quite some time since I've read dialogues this forced, stilted and unnatural.

I'd have to the other anon who reads the series as well to give his opinion, but to me the author just gave up on any resemblance of authencity in this book. It's all plot events and script done through puppets that are supposed to be characters. An outline of a story given form, but instead a story being made from an outline it's an outline that became a story. THe result is discomforting. The story in turns meanders and rushes, not allowing for any solid emotional impact to grow. I considered dropping the book half-way through, but for some strange reason prevailed, just to be sure I'm not doing things prematurely. Alas, maybe I should have.

I belive the characters of Dragons were the strongest part of the series, but the author simply couldn't come up with anything past the first book. The first has a solid story and mood, with a bit sudden but explainable finish. A classic fantasy story through eyes of a Dragon. The next one was derivative, trying to do the same but a bit differently. The third was stale. The fourth? It's obvious the author had a grand plan in the making, but had no idea how to write it.

I am dissapointed. Very dissapointed. I'm not sure what the author was thinking while writing the last two books, that he has to rush them out? If he just rewritten the drafts two-three times then surely he would make it much better. Does he not read other books to make a comparison? An average webnovel cares more. Damn, I wish it was better.

For any people interest in a fantasy series where protagonist is a Dragon: Read just the first book, Dragon Champion, and end at that. Maybe the second book as well, if you found it to your tastes. Otherwise - don't read the other books.

4/10

>> No.20775495
File: 35 KB, 333x500, 51VoBFhc2GL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In my attempts to read some LitRPG webnovels (mostly the published ones because I'm not that enthused to dip into reading them as webnovels) I recently finished the Primal Hunter book that're out and while I generally enjoyed it, I have a similar feeling of dread because of how many similar beats to DotF are playing out, including the tutorial thing ending with the book showing a bunch of other notable big-name players, because in DotF most of those people got like a couple chapters of screen-time at most and became completely irrelevant because it's all about Zac. I generally enjoy Jake as a character more than Zac because Jake IS a character, albeit only sort of one (he's just kind of an awkward loner dork who happens to be really good at the lone hunter deal), and some of the side-characters in PH are at least fairly intriguing and I'd like to see where some things go, it's just... The book sort of ends before the interesting stuff could happen so I'm having a passive sort of dread about it. Not enough to want to start reading the webnovel, though, that's never really happened for any of these except Dungeon Crawler Carl which stopped being a webnovel. System apocalypse LitRPG stuff seems to have a bit of a samey-ness problem with their storybeats though (protagonist is isolated near the start of the apocalyptic thing, ends up thriving despite oppressive circumstances to become a top-tier powerhouse on Earth which attracts attention they don't want, etc.)

>> No.20775520

>>20774885
Smeagol vs. /sffg/
https://trinket.io/python/7274b4453a?outputOnly=true&runOption=run

>> No.20775523

>>20775495
Primal Hunter has better characters (on average) than DotF, but otherwise it falls behind in everything else when compared with DotF. The system is the biggest offender, as it's uninteresting, basic and boring. The story succeeds in spire of it, rather than with its support. I don't know where the book 2 ends compared to the webnovel, but the story has decent amounts of progress and drama after the tutorial. Though admittedly I got into a habit of skimming most of the fights. They are just boring.

>> No.20775543

>>20775523
That's fair. So far most of these stories haven't had super interesting fights. HWFWM's fights were interesting but the end-result is Jason kinda locked in his power-set so he just does the same thing every fight. DotF has Zac just unga-bunga everything. Unbound's fights are mildly interesting because Felix seems to genuinely be panicking most of the time, though his powerset is so broad it's hard to really feel too excited. Randidly Ghosthound is... I genuinely forget, I think he just does vines and spear stuff all the time it's pretty mediocre. DCC's fights aren't really numbers/power games most of the time so they're way more interesting, they're often Carl having to puzzle his way out or execute a plan. Book 2 of PH ends at him just having promoted Miranda to run the city, basically. I found the abundance of intermissions with very little link to Jake a little odd, but I suppose they're set-ups for future interactions, though seeing Jake's brother just around was neat. I don't hate the system as such, but I do see what you mean with DotF's being more interesting, whereas PH's is just there.
I'm moving on to the dense nightmare that is Infinite Realm now and that'll be a fucking journey and a half I'm sure.

>> No.20775561

>>20775543
>I'm moving on to the dense nightmare that is Infinite Realm now and that'll be a fucking journey and a half I'm sure.
Infinity Realms Is better than both DotF and Primal Hunter, but not as focused. The author certainly has ambition, but so far I'd say he's delivered with the story. To me, Infinity Realms is one of the best LitRPGs, if not webnovels.

>> No.20775566

>>20775561
I've only just started and it doesn't really care about you not knowing what's going on in the medis res opening, huh. Nothing much with characterisation so far, but you don't really expect a huge amount in what is more of a "How did we get here" thing. I did the two-protagonist structure, because it hopefully means the author has done stuff to differentiate them and make them both interesting to follow.

>> No.20775599

>>20775566
>I did the two-protagonist structure, because it hopefully means the author has done stuff to differentiate them and make them both interesting to follow.
Oh, the protagonists are different. Very much. Though Zac is generally disliked, but even If didn't like his plot as much as Ryun's, then it has its own qualities. Even so, each of the protagonists in the story have enough of characterization to fill 10 average litrpg webnovels.

>> No.20775613

>>20775599
Well, we'll see. I find I tend to like some widely-disliked characters actually (I generally quite liked early Jason in HWFWM just because he was a pretty realised character, even if not a super-likeable person but I totally get why people hate him) so we'll see how Zach works out for me.

>> No.20775638

>>20775476
I like your reviews anon.
I went and finished all of the second trilogy. I loved the second and third books of it. Everything moved a lot better with the split PoVs.
Sometimes I feel like things are glossed over, but usually the things like that noticed were involving the human characters, so I wonder more if it was an intentional thing to press how they are simply not that important to the dragons.

>> No.20775664
File: 104 KB, 617x1000, 002436.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20775190
>>20775264
It's just Gor except written for Godless pseudointellectuals who like sniffing their own farts and reading awful prose so purple it transcends the visible light spectrum and goes ultraviolet, readable only by brainless poisonous arachnids and jellyfish.

>> No.20775676

>>20775638
Well, I'm glad that at least you enjoyed the series more than me. I hope to find other books about Dragons soon, unless I decide to try Bakker.

>> No.20775679

>>20775221
Why isn't there an edited and abridged version of Wheel of Time that excises all the crap that literally nobody on the planet earth likes or cares about EGWENE and leaves only the worthwhile content and dialogue and action and worldbuilding and plot? You could probably pare that series down to 8 or 10 books and lose absolutely nothing.

>> No.20775683

>>20775676
>I hope to find other books about Dragons soon
There's Gordon R. Dickson's Dragon Knight series, but unfortunately he died before he could finish the last book and didn't leave any notes so it's NEVER EVER going to be concluded.

>> No.20775694

>>20775676
Realm of the Elderlings has lots of dragons along with some dragon povs

>> No.20775716
File: 60 KB, 841x1024, 1657409683078.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

which is an legendary enemy that isn't absurd to be destroyed by one knight? I really wanted a dragon, but that's a bit too much I think

>> No.20775741

>>20775716
A dragon can be defeated by a solitary knight if you want. It depends on what levels of groundedness you're trying to have, admittedly. A well-prepared knight in a more low-fantasy setting with more down-to-earth stuff would probably do well against, say, a troll or something when able to prepare to fight it.

>> No.20775747

>>20775716
a dragon (but smaller)
a giant/ogre/troll whatever
a big fucking bear
a wendigo
a lich
there's tons of things, what kind of legendary enemy are you looking for? do you want it to be a mere force of nature that needs to be trimmed like a lawn, or something spiritually allegorical out of religion and myth, or something poignantly tragic like a werewolf or what?

>> No.20775791

>>20775716
Tolkien has one man killing a dragon but it depends on how you want to go is it a planned encounter, a lucky victory, a sudden encounter that he wins through skill or part of a larger battle?
Like if you're going for surviving by the skin of their teeth after running into one it's best to be vs a dumber monster that can be tricked into running itself into a wall or whatever.

>> No.20775807
File: 102 KB, 500x678, 1657384443958.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20775741
>A well-prepared knight in a more low-fantasy setting with more down-to-earth stuff
this is exactly what I am trying to do. I will probably do a golen, but thank you anyway

>> No.20775840

>>20775664
It's not like Gor whatsoever.

>> No.20775841

>>20775189
One of the criticisms I've heard is that a lot of the female PoV characters are prostitutes and that he's incapable of writing a female character who isn't one.
Not sure how accurate of a statement that is, but it's what I've heard.

>> No.20775846

>>20775189
The stupid reason to call Prince of Nothing misogynistic is because it portrays the role of women in a medieval society accurately, namely as whores and spoils of war. There's also a notable lack of female characters overall, which makes sense given that 90% of the trilogy covers a war march but go explain that to Becky LibArtsMajorsson. Arguably, the actual reason PoN feels misogynistic to some is because Bakker was clearly way to horny when writing it and made his only two women characters of note prostitutes who just fucking love getting boned by random dudes. And then in Aspect-Emperor he overcorrects HARD and just makes every single woman character a megaspecial superduperimportant uberwarrior 300 IQ Mary Sue.
>most powerful cult priest in the world? Woman
>her god? God of Moms
>mage training manifests in teenage years and takes decades to master meaning that every powerful mage in an old grandpa? Fuck it here's a guild of teenage ninja sorceresses who outmagick old crusty Scarlets easily
>most powerful of Kellhus' children? Girls
>Esmenets daughter? Oh she's just gifted with the rarest type of magical power in history, literally favoured by gods

>> No.20775860
File: 289 KB, 800x907, Mathilde_und_Hugo_von_Cluny_als_Fürsprecher_Heinrichs_IV._(cropped).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20775846
>it portrays the role of women in a medieval society accurately, namely as whores and spoils of war
Spoken like somebody whose entire knowledge of Medieval history was gained from reading Mark Twain and Cracked.com listicles.

>> No.20775878
File: 128 KB, 1024x1010, 1653171395932.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I just finished the first Saving Supervillains book after seeing it in a previous thread and it scratched my itch for superpower stories. Now I am hungry for more does anyone have any recommendations?

I have read most of the well known/good ones like Worm, Brennus and others.

PS
Do any of you know were to get an Epub of the super powereds series? I read it years ago on the authors blog but he has taken it down and published it.

>> No.20775910
File: 223 KB, 400x600, perfect run.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20775878
>So I just finished the first Saving Supervillains book after seeing it in a previous thread and it scratched my itch for superpower stories. Now I am hungry for more does anyone have any recommendations?
The second Saving Supervillains book was published recently, if aren't aware.
If you are looking for superpower story, check The Perfect Run by Maxime J. Durand (Void Herald). Has some flaws, but it's good.
As for Epub, just check zlib. It even has converter, so you can change pdf -> epub, whatever you want.

Btw, can zlib links be posted in this general? Not sure if it's bannable or not.

>> No.20775914
File: 40 KB, 316x475, super sales.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20775878
Oh right, there's one that I forgot and which you might like, Super Sales on Super Heroes.

>> No.20775943

>>20775841
There's only two pov female characters and they are both prostitutes

>> No.20775945

>>20775860
Female children were often sold or left to die of exposure, and women had to be whores at least part time to survive without a male guardian.

>> No.20775946

>>20775910
>>20775914
Thanks for the recommendations, I read the first chapter of The Perfect Run but dropped it. I will give it another try.

>> No.20775954

>>20775946
I've heard it's a weird start because the protagonist comes across as a lolrandom type, but that's kinda the point because he's just looping and trying random bullshit.

>> No.20775970

>>20775161
He uses a lot of time to depict the Dunyain as pure evil in the Aspect Emperor series, using the special eye ability of Mimara to underline it.

>> No.20775983
File: 50 KB, 247x403, AnneMcCaffrey_Dragonflight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has anyone read any of these books? How is it?

>> No.20776021

>>20775970
Dunyain are no more evil than anyone else. In case you missed it, everyone who isn't explicitly favoured by gods is doomed. The Gods of TSA are basically alien psychic parasites who occupy planets and feed on the souls of the dead, the "granary" as Kellhouse calls it. Mimara's moral compass eye is so twisted that she sees chorae, the object designed with sole purpose of murder, as a pure "tear of god". The whale mothers were not an act of maliciousness but of necessity, had they kept their women regular most of them would be going through the kind of shit Esmenet went giving birth to dozens of stillborns

>> No.20776051

>>20775878
Soon I Will Be Invincible is good, Steelheart is entertaining. This is good >>20775910. Super Powereds is junk food but I made it through. I remember liking Confessions of a D-List Supervillain but at this point I honestly can't remember one thing about it beyond that.

>> No.20776060

>>20775945
>Female children were often sold or left to die of exposure
That went out of practice by the time Christianity got a footing in the WRE circa 300-400 AD
>and women had to be whores at least part time to survive without a male guardian.
actual fucking coomer fantasy bullshit, after the fall of the WRE women could inherit property if there were no other male heirs even to the point of monarchy, not to mention the fact that women regularly joined convents of nuns (which were essentially schools/hospitals/libraries) as an alternative to marriage, could join the work force through guilds (almost always segregated guilds, not co-ed), and some viragos overstepped their husbands' authority - just look at Eleanor of Aquitaine and her much, much younger husband Henry II - to say nothing of the exceptional and rare amazonian noblewomen who actually donned mail and sword to engage in real combat, like Aethelflaed of Mercia

ironically, women were a lot more useful back in the middle ages than they are now

>> No.20776130

>>20775679
I don't know if you are serious or not, but that's been done, by someone in this thread who'd blog about doing so even.

>> No.20776159

What the hell does Silk see in Hyacinth? She's just a ho. Why does he salivate thinking about her for 4 books despite just meeting her once?

>> No.20776209

>>20776060
I've noticed people try to depict a realistic medieval world including the grittiness to counter the romanticization, but they go way too far the other way and make it unrealistically grimderp.

>> No.20776211
File: 24 KB, 310x475, vicious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20776051
>>20775878
There are also two books, Vicious and Vengeful by V.E. Schwab, if you are into 'Low Superhero' stuff. Basically, it's just few guys with superpowers that hate each other, no greater impact on the world, just personal vendetta.

>> No.20776219

>>20776060
From what I read, women had solid degree of power up to medieval times, where due to feudalism they could hold lands and as such do a lot. It's after the feudalism was abolished that their position fell.

>> No.20776332

>>20776060
>That went out of practice by the time Christianity got a footing in the WRE circa 300-400 AD
There are several major societal breakdowns between 400 and 1200 where people reverted to these practices, and nothing was uniform back then. Empress Theodora was given away essentially into prostitution at age 4, ca 500 AD, and that was normal practice for Byzantines at the time.

>>20776219
Most people were property of the crown under feudalism. You're talking about rules that applied to .001% of the population.

>> No.20776345

>>20776332
>You're talking about rules that applied to .001% of the population.
Around 5-10%, but yeah, when we talk about medieval times we talk about wealthy city dwellers or nobles. No one cares about the rabble.

>> No.20776361

>My interviewer hadn't closed the book yet. "It says you favor tall girls. Is that true?" Even as she spoke, her legs lengthened, and she was looking down at me where we had once been level. I felt a pleasant but embarrassing sensation that caused me to cross my legs. "It's a new moon tonight, you know. Most propitious for first couplings. One gold queening and I'm yours 'til midnight."

>"If you knew what I've done to get that money."

>"If you knew what I could do to make you forget."

>"Who's going to watch the shop? While I wreck your womb and enslave your heart, I mean?"

>"I had them both removed. And she will," she said, nodding at an older but still-lovely woman who had appeared behind the bar. A second look confirmed it was the same girl who sat across from me now, only twenty years older. This "girl" was no mere secretary or whore; she was quite probably a Worry (a high enforcer), taking direct orders from the Problem (think mayor). My skin flushed warm with an ugly, seething jealousy. However she had doubled herself, whether grafting, echoing, or somehow bending time, I would never do magic that strong. Never.

>> No.20776396

>>20774972
No one does.

>> No.20776424

>>20775221
You're in the slog, where instead of giving us one shitty book focusing on tying up Perrin's shitty Shaido plotline we get 3 books of the shitty Shaido plotline interspersed with shitty filler plotlines for the rest of the cast.

>> No.20776464

>>20775221
>>20776424
Basically, skip every Perrin POV, skip every Elayne POV from her finally fucking deciding to go back to Caemlyn onwards, skip every Egwene POV from the moment she's elected as Amyrlin to right about the moment she has the conversation with Verin and then every Egwene POV afterwards, definitely skip every Gawain POV. You can skip the Galad POVs but I personally wouldn't. Definitely skip the Black Tower POVs once Sanderson comes along because jesus christ the man categorically does not understand the beauty of a magic system that isn't more heavily exploited than a Fillipino child in a sweatshop.

>> No.20776536
File: 1.97 MB, 1668x2224, 8yjwubqo8di61.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

read cradle!

>> No.20776547

>>20775878
I'm reading this right now. 100 pages in and not a single sex scene(though its a breeze to go through). Instead I get fights with goooey monsters and super heroes that I can only imagine in the cheezy Sky High aesthetic.

Not what I was looking for.

>> No.20776558

>>20776547
Cont.

Also the world building doesn't make any sense.
7 to 1 gender ratio? How hasn't society collapsed yet? Women successfully running the civilization is more unrealistic than super powers

>> No.20776581

>>20776219
>>20776332
>>20776345
Feudalism itself was not a uniform phenomenon, it was an ideal that was only approximated very late in the day in only a few "countries" insofar as countries could be said to exist in terms of medieval geopolitics. For example "real" (ideal) feudalism hardly even existed in any meaningful capacity in the British isles, the Low Countries, Scandinavia, Poland-Lithuania, or Italy, but was intensely strong in France, Germany, Russia, and Spain. But even then, only at different times; in Western France, women could inherit noble titles into the 1300s, but by 1400 women had become essentially property throughout the country - unless of course they were a peasant, in which case they had the rights to choose or refuses their spouses, a phenomenal degree of liberty in those days, or if they were an inhabitant of a city, the ability to join certain guilds, or to inherit their father's property. It's all very complex and nuanced, and any attempt to reduce the medieval era to trite cliches is whiggish victorian nonsense at best.

>> No.20776619

Who's the best prose stylist in sci-fi?

>> No.20776645

>>20776619
Michael Crichton

>> No.20776681

>>20776619
A. A. Attanasio

>> No.20776726

>>20776159
I wondered about that too. I’m sure there is going to be some crazy explanation that nobody expects. I just assumed that she was so beautiful and also the first woman that acted attracted towards him that he simply couldn’t get her out of his head. As time went on it probably developed into a kind of obsession, especially coupled with his priestly beliefs of forgiveness and absolution. I see their relationship similar to that of Prince Myshkin and Nastassya in The Idiot.

>> No.20776760

>>20776159
Wait until you hear the story of how they met.

>> No.20776787
File: 37 KB, 300x450, radix.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20776681
The modern man's PKD.

>> No.20776809
File: 155 KB, 600x1405, 1637392048838.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20776464
That's pretty radical speedreading/skipping tho. I can't really think of skipping any male POV, especially Perrin, no matter what. Because it's men's view. Even if you're reading non stop slice of life filler.

>> No.20776850

>>20776787
Lol he was writing contemporaneously with Dick for some years.
What do you want to tell me about Radix? Attanasio gives me schizo vibes but I guess he isn't.

>> No.20776952

>>20776850
Was he really? I've admittedly never looked into him much but he's the only author I've read that's living and sounds like Dick. Plus the dude lives in Hawaii and trips on acid all day. If you're not taking psychedelics then you're not expanding your imagination.
Radix tetrad is cool although it isn't all necessarily required to read, as far as a complete series goes. I need to reread Radix itself as it is mostly a fever dream now. In Other Worlds, the second Radix tetrad book, might be a better introduction to Attanasio('s sci-fi). It involves the relatively unique plot of a dude being tasked to help/save some nth-dimensional creature at the end of time by collecting fuel pig manure and it involves a lot of concepts that feature significantly in the overall universe, like the zotl. Despite that, I've managed to convince 0 others to read it.

>> No.20777015

>>20774938
Shallan flashbacks are literally the best part.

>> No.20777020

>>20776809
Perrin's so heavily wrapped up in moping about his beaknosed cunt of a wife being gone that he really doesn't merit reading. Skip that shit.

>> No.20777042

>>20777015
Yes, the flashbacks have been pretty good so far. Her father and brothers, especially the oldest are amazing characters and I really hope we get to see way more of them. But it’s the present Shallan that I can’t stand. And of course she takes up most of her chapters.

>> No.20777118
File: 3.72 MB, 1370x2068, 1658193143057.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>woman dooms humans by calling out to aliens
>later humanity is thoroughly emasculated by the aliens so they can't even activate the MAD deterrence on their own
>women constantly make the wrong choice and fuck up humans

I'm sensing a theme here and I think I'm liking it
decently based

>> No.20777124
File: 135 KB, 736x981, 7ac0e7e0a8efbcab9d974b8beaf7ec57.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are there any other scifi stories about pioneers settling the frontier similar to "Farmer in the Sky"?

>> No.20777220

>>20777042
If you really cant stand her presenta chapters just skim them. But take note of what happens because i think some of the coolest reveals are in her presenta chapters.

>> No.20777226

>>20777118
she's proven right in the end because intelligent species all over the universe collectively doom it due to ruthless application of game theory

>> No.20777336
File: 61 KB, 300x400, 300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20777395

>>20776547
>>20776558
You are right the story is nothing special. Im just in a bit of a slump for more serious reading. The worldbuilding is also about as sloppy as can be expected from midrange erotica.

>> No.20777466

>>20777395
>You are right the story is nothing special. Im just in a bit of a slump for more serious reading. The worldbuilding is also about as sloppy as can be expected from midrange erotica.
The author is just about average when looking at self-publish as a whole, but if you read Worm and Super Sales on Super Heroes you'll quickly realise they guy doesn't isn't capable of any original world-building. Most of the stuff in Saving Supervillains is straight up ripped from those stories. Only thin's that decent is the execution and the characters, and I'm not convinced he didn't ripped them from some story as well.

Good if you want some decent erotica, though. I only have issue with the writer being a bit of a ahck, but comparing to other people in harem/erotica self-publish the guy's a literary genius.

>> No.20777469

>>20776726
Silk is a lot like Myshkin. I was thinking of him a lot while reading. I hope he gets a happier ending. I wish the series was written in 1st person so we could know what Silk really thinks.
>>20776760
When she had one of those bad girl hissy fits and wanted to murder him for entering her bedroom? Happens to everyone.

>> No.20777501

>>20774885
What's a book that has good action sequences?

>> No.20777502

>>20777469
Try reading Short Sun once you’re done with Long Sun. It might give you more clearance about what Silk is truly thinking.

>> No.20777521
File: 19 KB, 336x188, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ARCTURIAN Light Language STARSEED ACTIVATION

https://youtu.be/fJuZS_ypWxo

>> No.20777632

>>20777521
is this real

>> No.20777667

>>20777124
I haven't read it, but I seem to recall that being a facet of Children of Time

>> No.20777694 [DELETED] 

>>20776581
>>20776345
>>20776219
>>20776060
Sounds like cope to me
>"B-BUT MY 2 OUTLIERS THAT STAND OUT IN HISTORY FOR THE VERY REASON OF BEING WOMEN AND NOT TREATED AS CATTLE!"

If women weren't treated as property in the middle ages, why did Bakker, the greatest author and thinker in our millennium, depict them as such, huh?
I think I'll ignore your deranged cope.

>> No.20777703
File: 42 KB, 325x500, Mythagowood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Could this be counted as backrooms literature?

>> No.20777721
File: 74 KB, 366x1000, St_Olga_by_Nesterov_in_1892.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20777694
Wow what a strong argument. Would you mind discussing it in this building that locks from the outside?

>> No.20777724

>>20777721
Anon, the thread has been slow and comfy so far, don’t ruin it by replying to a retard who isn’t interested in debating in good faith.

>> No.20777747 [DELETED] 

>>20777724
here, how's this for some comfy good faith discourse

*BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTT*
*ahem*
*BRRRRRAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP*
oh my, dear me
*bbbbbbbbbRRRRRRRRTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPppppPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP*

>> No.20777793

>>20777502
That's one of the big questions I took away from Short Sun: What the fuck happened between Silk and Hyacinth? She is dead, obviously, but I can't tell if he killed her or someone else killed her or if she killed herself. I think she killed herself, then he tried to kill himself. He's really fucked up about her. The song "Sad experiences teaches me" is breaking his heart, and he frequently mistakes Seawrack for her.

>> No.20777814
File: 244 KB, 805x993, see_no_evil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20775878
There's 'The Legion of Nothing' and 'Summus Proelium', both are good original web superhero stories. But some of the best online superhero fiction are fanfics, mostly worm fics but there are also a surprisingly large number of good DC fanfics. Try 'See No Evil' from Ideas-Guy if you are interested.

>> No.20777854

>>20777501
Wiil Wight's stuff (Cradle, Traveler's Gate, Elder Empire) tends to have decently-written action. Very anime-ish, but if that's your thing go for it.

>> No.20777959
File: 41 KB, 508x640, pirate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20777854
Traveler's Gate (at least the first book) is terribly written except for its action though.

Elder Empire is competently written, although the constant flashback -> current era -> flashback cycle its written in is annoying and the plot sucks.

Cradle is good though.

>> No.20777963

>>20777959
Yeah, Traveler's Gate is definitely rough apart from the action, though I'd say the third book has some of Wight's best fight scenes. Utterly lacking in his strong characterisation that you see from Cradle though.

>> No.20778082

>>20777854
i was thinking about reading Traveler's gate but i got mad at the offscreen fight in Dreadgod and people told me that traveler's gate book has this shit and im good

>> No.20778112

>>20778082
Simon is much better for not apologizing and frequently going off to do his own thing. If Simon were on Cradle, he'd be a Monarch by now and probably ascended.

>> No.20778121

>>20777501
I love the tournament sequence from Fred Saberhagen's Berserker's Planet. It's not a great book, but it came out two years after Enter the Dragon and you'll feel the similarity. For novelization purposes, the contestants get a few lines of ironic backstory before being disposed of. Good stuff.

>> No.20778191
File: 511 KB, 1448x2048, 1659489972791.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

TWI 6.21 D
[Scrying] has been mentioned for the first time in like five whole volumes and I feel like even the author had completely forgotten about it
This is another one of those things I shouldn't think too much about, right?
Just doing so for five minutes has made me think of why hasn't it been used in any meaningful way in situations where [Scrying] would have been the perfect and easiest solution

>> No.20778192
File: 61 KB, 333x500, 51ej+oVqIZS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20774885
Why is it such well written a piece of shit?

>> No.20778375

any books with this feel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sBOsh-vyI
specifically high technology mixed in low tech setting. already read botns.

>> No.20778399

>>20777042
She only gets worse in latter books. You think she’s insufferable now? Strap yourself in for book 3

>> No.20778437 [DELETED] 

>>20778192
You can take the Jew out of Russia but you can't take Russia out of the Jew. His roots reasserted themselves late in life and he got caught up in the collectivist dream.

>> No.20778612

>>20778192
there was this really weird schizo from a star wars general thread some years back, can't remember which board (/tg/ maybe?) but he absolutely religiously and violently insisted that Asimov's Foundation series was the number one inspiration for George Lucas when he made Star Wars

I never understood that wierdo but I'm glad he's gone

>> No.20778666

>>20778612
There are some elements
Let's see if it makes sense:
The decaying Galactic empire
Castes of mind controlling individuals
That's it i guess. Can't recall any sand planet or special alien weaponry

>> No.20778670

>>20778612
>>20778666
It's very clearly 1936's Flash Gordon serial mixed with Kurosawa

>> No.20778681

>>20778612
>>20778666
>>20778670
the main inspiration is literally john carter of mars but nobody on this board knows anything about pre 1950s speculative fiction

>> No.20778731

>>20778681
Star Wars would be way cooler if the protagonist was a murderous manchild psycho-sperg pretending to be the hero.

>> No.20778736
File: 522 KB, 1180x1741, star-wars-is-a-pastiche-how-george-lucas-combined-flash-gordon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20778666
well obviously I wouldn't doubt that there were some probable elements pulled from it as Lucas formed his pastiche of every science fiction trope and plot device he had garnered from his adolescence watching something like Buck Rogers or reading Dune or watching Star Trek or whatever but this guy I'm talking about was convinced beyond all reason that Star Wars was first and foremost a ripoff of Foundation and all other considerations were tied at a very distant second to the point of being negligible influences
it was all so fucking surreal

>> No.20779177

>>20778191
I don't remember what was [Scrying] used in those chapters, but in general it's not as simple as you think it is. You cannot just [scry] anywhere, and it requires a proficient mage. Although yeah, about some things you shouldn't think too much.

>> No.20779204 [DELETED] 
File: 39 KB, 566x329, 1651637467175.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wonder what happened to the whole "it's the actor's talent that matters, not the race" That was the liberal response to race changes in wheel of time and witcher adaptations

>> No.20779219

>>20779204
Only applies to wh*tes

>> No.20779230

>>20774885
Best fantasy with naval combat? I search something like the black sails tv series

>> No.20779243

>>20779230
one piece

>> No.20779254

>>20779230
[hurdy gurdy intensifies]

>> No.20779348

>>20775716
The meme of "dragons are god-tier and only demigods can beat them" needs to die. Dragons in the western sense derive their importance for what they represent, a symbol of the chaos that lurks at the end of the world, the hybrids that threaten defintion, Satan himself in many cases. They are not necessarily more powerful than a pious paladin or warrior, but rather deeply symbological on its role and therefore a milestone.

>> No.20779352
File: 247 KB, 1280x1913, grigori.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20779348
My favorite depiction of a dragon in recent media is Grigori from Dragon's Dogma. He's less rampaging beast and more tempter devil.

>> No.20779354

>>20774885
Any horror fiction or sci fi with conspiracies (similar to X files but really anything with conspiracies and freaky secret agencies or societies)?

>> No.20779433
File: 52 KB, 1024x768, oreb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can someone help me with Book of the Long Sun? I've just finished the first half (Litany) and I feel confused because on one hand it seems much more explicit and easier to understand than BotNS, but on the other hand I still don't really know much about the overall story.
The only connections between the two series that I've noticed are that Pas is Typhon, Jonas and the chems both mixing and matching parts, and that maybe there's an undine in Lake Limna. I assume that the whorl is a failing spaceship created by Typhon and sent to colonise another planet but I don't really get is:
>the connection of the whorl/long sun to the short sun and to Urth
>who Typhon used to populate the whorl and why he had to kidnap/force them onboard when he could have just done the human reprogramming thing
>the relationship of the Outsider to Urth, the short sun, the whorl, and the pantheon Typhon created - did he exist in the BotNS?
>where all the aliens and some of the advanced tech from BotNS (eg hierodules, Abaia et al, the mirrors) ended up
Should I know all this already or will it be explained in the second half? Please don't spoil anything, I'm asking because I can't work out if I missed as much in BotLS as I did the first time I read BotNS.

>> No.20779438

>>20779348
They fly, can you fly?

>> No.20779473

>>20779433
Just keep reading. Most of this will be laid open in the rest of Long Sun. Some of it in Short Sun. Generally I’d say that when it comes to Wolfe‘s works you should always finish reading the whole thing and then ask questions once you’re done. Many things will become clear throughout the course of the story.

>> No.20779689

>>20775841
Yes I’d say that is, if anything, what makes Bakker’s books misogynistic. He can’t write a female for shit other than maybe Esmi, but her internal conflicts are 80% shame and 20% horny. Serwe is just a fuck toy who gets maybe 3 moments of inner dialogue/background

>> No.20779752

Currently reading the name of the wind after the umpteenth recommendation.
Everybody swoons over its functional prose. It's well-written, but not mind-blowing.
What I am having an issue with is how self-indulgent the author is, how enamored he is with what he has to say.
Also, in literally every single chapter there is an emotional spoiler, telling the reader how to feel about what is about.
>I had a very tough time. This was the beginning of three years I spent in this city [proceeds to tell you what happened the next three years]
>It wouldn't matter, because my parents died anyway [proceeds to kill the parents]
I guess it works as a cheap way to keep the average reader engaged.

>> No.20779879

>>20779752
Yes, in fact the less you know about the author, the less you will come to hate the books.

>> No.20779882
File: 129 KB, 768x1024, cuckkiller chronicles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20779752
>after the umpteenth recommendation
Why do you come to /sffg/ if you get your recommendations from Reddit?
NEWFAGS BE GONE

>> No.20779977

>>20779752
Literally everyone here hates that author lol
At most you'll get people who say the first book has some pretty writing.

>> No.20780016

>>>/vm/2723817
kek is this one of you

>> No.20780105

>>20774885
alright lads, just picked up the lies of Locke Lamora. what am I in for?

>> No.20780106

>>20780016
Oh I fucked up the link.
>I don't like calling things soi but I have no other word for riot's artstyle. It's like Disney fused with a mobile game, pruned of all edges for maximum commercial appeal. Boringly attractive people in stupid outfits. Autistic fantasy "world building" Brandon Sanderson style bullshit with no characters or themes. Pure soi, condensed entertainment slurry.

>> No.20780148

>>20780105
the 5th best heist fantasy of this century

>> No.20780154

>>20780148
whats the top 4?

>> No.20780182

>>/a/240911739
>dude talks about Diamond Dogs and Turquoise Days by Alastair Reynolds
>gets a whole bunch of key facts wrong

>> No.20780228

>>20778082
There's one in the first book that's offscreened for baffling reasons, but nothing else that could be interesting is offscreened.

>> No.20780499

>>20779882
I got my recommendations from people in the real world. Touch grass, gatekeeper.

>> No.20780530

>>20775100
Sci-fi stuff has gotten ridiculously edgy. I have also noticed in the past 6 new books I've read have to mention how primitive and dumb people were for believing in God. Its like everything sci-fi is written by a college student now. SAD

>> No.20780533

>>20780105
>alright lads, just picked up the lies of Locke Lamora. what am I in for?
You're in for an amazing and story fo adventure and thievery.
Just remember not to read the rest of the series, it sucks.

>> No.20780588

>>20777336
the post that saved /sffg/

>> No.20780622

>>20778681
>nobody on this board knows anything about pre 1950s speculative fiction
How new are you? Old fantasy is discussed all the fucking time.

>> No.20780654

Gormenghast would be perfect if Peake actually utilised proper grammar.

>> No.20780674

>>20780499
hope that taught you to not take recommendations from normie redditor faggots

>> No.20780686

Anybody own a decent Dunsany omnibus? I'm searching eBay at the moment, but it's all just expensive paperbacks with only one story.

>> No.20780710

>ywn have a knife-fight naked in the winter moonlight for the hand of your true love, Keda

>> No.20780711

>>20775221
I stopped listening (I refuse to waste my time reading anything not worthwhile) about half way through Crown of Swords. Morgaze’s POV, in addition to Naeneve, just annoyed me way too much. It also lost the comfiness factor of the first three books

>> No.20780811

any good thief-focused fantasy on the level of fafhrd and the grey mouser
i've read locke lamora and it was shit

>> No.20780885
File: 372 KB, 1920x1080, 1658440414751325.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If any sci-fi writers want a cheap editor, reply to this post. I specialize in dialogue and character development

>> No.20780896

>>20780885
Why do you shill here and not in writers general? Idiocy.

>> No.20780963

>>20780896
I am tired of editing nonfiction, Captain

>> No.20781006

>>20774938
You skip the whole series.

>>20774972
Based.

>>20775003
>>20775018
Most of the names thrown here and there don't matter and you are good just remembering those that appear more often.

>>20780885
wrong general

>>20780654
Any example of bad grammar?

>>20779882
>>20779752
I will never read NotW.

>> No.20781015
File: 3.03 MB, 1740x1667, the chart version 6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I heard some people were looking for recommendations.

>> No.20781049

Gotta say mate, I absolutely love the chart. Gets better each time you post it. Like an onion it's just got so many layers and twists and turns to it, I absolutely am not tired of seeing it, even for the 30th time!

>> No.20781059

>>20781006
>Any example of bad grammar?
Many, but I shall not be replying to a man who's post contains leddit spacing.

>> No.20781069

>>20781059
I reckon you just didn't understand some of the older English. Lmao

>> No.20781072

>>20781049
SEETHING

>> No.20781075

Is there anything cool currently being published or rediscovered?

>> No.20781079

>>20781069
>older English
Painfully obvious you've not even read the book, friend.

>> No.20781084

>>20781079
Actually, the following is the sentence where I struggled.
>Not a hierophant but had heard at one time or another the sound of that sinister shaft mounting in loudness as the Master of Ritual thrust himself forwards, his withered leg and his crutch between them negotiating the tortuous corridors of stone, at a pace that it was difficult to believe.

>> No.20781087

>>20781015
>tfw read almost everything in A+3+
Is genre fiction finito no bonito for me? Just mediocre pigslop left?

>> No.20781092

>>20781087
Yes, and no. You can try to finish all the books why the A and S tier authors. Then you are on your own.

>> No.20781136

Tolkien wanted to make a prehistorical mythology for England using Anglo Saxon England's preexisting geography, language, mythology. What would a mythology for the USA look like? Just based on Native American tribes? Because Middle-earth is supposed to be prehistorical, and by the time Europeans arrive the Europeans already have history.

>> No.20781167

>>20781136
mormonism

>> No.20781171

>>20781136
wild west but with things like anthropomorphic bison and wolves and vultures, and cryptids like bigfoot and jersey devil, and indian shaman magic being equivalent to faery/elves

>> No.20781181

>>20781136
American Gods

>> No.20781207

>>20781171
the old west you envision is already a fiction tho

>> No.20781233

>>20781207
Then it seems even more ideal

>> No.20781236

>>20781136
>>20781167
>>20781171
>>20781207
American mythology is literally just english mythology
jefferson even wanted hengist and horsa on the american seal

>> No.20781260
File: 865 KB, 541x1297, 1653669118072.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My year is going great

>> No.20781275

>>20781260
Star wars is fucking gay. But tell me about Dead Space, is it a good sci-fi horror?

>> No.20781290

When you click on the "Mythology" link it goes to the mythology of Native Americans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_States

>> No.20781343

>>20781260
>tfw cape-shit reaches even the books
We shall never rule supreme.
Honestly though, are those movie knock-offs really entertaining to read? I would pressume not

>> No.20781353

>>20781260
God of War series has novelizations? What the hell? Anyway, Anon, you seem to be the kind of person that would enjoy reading the novelization of Planescape:Torment. I'd recommend you to read it, as the core material is much better than any of the books on this list

>> No.20781384

>>20774885
Maybe a specific question, but which book should I pick if what I'm looking for is romance as the central theme in fantasy? Not very into anime, but just finished watching Rage of Bahamut Virgin: Soul and I really liked how well developed the romance is and all the world, and plot. If you know something similar, but /lit/, I'll be very grateful.

>> No.20781391

>>20780686
Time and the Gods from the Fantasy Masterworks series. It’s also just a cheap paperback but has a lot of stories.

>> No.20781400 [DELETED] 

>>20781096

>> No.20781413

>>20774951
People in this general like these books because good reads reviews claim it's sexist and obtuse, not because the books are actually good
it's basically just being contrarian

>> No.20781471

Is there any discussion on the cradle series? I know there's a "read cradle" spammer but I'm not them.
Anyway Dreadgod was great.

>> No.20781483

>>20781471
people seemed mixed on it here.
haven't had time for it yet myself.

>> No.20781521

>>20781471
You missed it, people already discussed Dreadgon after it'd released. Now no one talks about it

>> No.20781546

>>20779752
I really liked the second book because it has the self insert protagonist dicking amazon women who believe you dont need men to make babies

>> No.20781557

Maybe not the best thread for the question but I was wondering when you write, if you do, do completely let your hands loose and write in terrible prose and later refine it or think about and craft every paragraph.

>> No.20781568

>>20781557
There may be cases you can, but I haven't met anyone who could write the perfect paragraph on the first try. Writing is about, yeah, re-writing and polishing what you wrote until you're satisfied.

>> No.20781613

>>20774951
But it's neither sexist or misogynistic. You're listening to reviews made by self-centred morons.

>> No.20781642

>>20781260
grow up

>> No.20781644
File: 526 KB, 1600x600, reckoners-banner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20775878
Since you're already used to shit literature I might as well recommend The Reckoners series by Sando.
People with superpowers started appearing when the protagonist was a kid but for some reason there were all assholes. He grows up to be a supe turbonerd hellbent on exacting revenge on one of the most supes for killing his father. The books are regular Sando fare and the third one is a bit underwhelming but I definitely think you should try the first one to see if scratches your itch.

>> No.20781665

>>20781343
Not him, but I hate capeshit in every form except books. Any visual component makes it just too ridiculous for me. But when it's just printed or spoken word I can smooth out the absurdity in my imagination.

>> No.20781687

>>20781557
You are supposed to writer your first draft that way. Just write it through. Edit later.

>> No.20781710

>>20781557
>>20781568
>There may be cases you can, but I haven't met anyone who could write the perfect paragraph on the first try. Writing is about, yeah, re-writing and polishing what you wrote until you're satisfied.
That advice only makes sense if you write for prose. Most of writing isn't about that. I personally don't believe re-writing and polishing is neccessarily positive to the quality of stories. For some - yes, and you're probably better off if you take at least one look at what you wrote and fix up the mistakes or clunky fragments. But the story itself is vastly more important than writing itself.

Even published books don't fixate on writing too much. Webnovels? A lot of amazing stories were written as webnovels and those rarely see more than one look once written. And yet people love those. Why? Because the story is more important.

>> No.20781712

>>20781521
Shit I only had the chance of reading it this week, I was stuck in the hospital

>> No.20781733

>>20781644
Why do I feel that the author for the My Hero Academia series took inspiration from Sanderson's Rekoners Series?

>> No.20781784

>>20781733
Because the human mind is desperate to see connections where they don't exist. The author for Negima has explicitly said he wrote it because of Harry Potter. There are many others inspired by Western properties as well.

>> No.20781805

>>20775983
I just finished that last weekend. It's okay because I like the setting but I thought the plot was a bit bland and predictable and contrived towards the end (Didn't really like the time travelling dragon idea).

>> No.20781814

>>20781644
YA garbage compared to Stormlight
even Skyward is better than this shit

>> No.20781832

>>20781260
all shit

>> No.20781842 [DELETED] 
File: 71 KB, 720x396, kellhus_6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20781814
>>20781644
>>20775878

The following are works of Brando Sando that can be considered worth reading. But one must keep in mind everything he writes is YA so this is recommended for "beginners."
>Mistborn (Only the first trilogy)
>Stormlight Archive (AT MOST FIRST TWO BOOKS, but mostly only the firsty)
>The Emperor's Soul (The only work of any actual literary merit by Mr. Sanderson)

Mock me all you want, but some of Sanderson's work is decent for getting to know fantasy but are his works by no means "great" like the ones by Herbert, Tolkien, Wolfe, or Bakker.

made you look

>> No.20781875 [DELETED] 

>>20781842
>doesn't rate Warbreaker or Sanderson's Brain in jars short stories

>> No.20781888 [DELETED] 

>>20781875
>Forgetting his Magic The Gathering novel and videogame novelizations

>> No.20782022

>>20781557
bash it out now, tart it up later

>> No.20782042

>>20781384
The Night Circus
Curse of Chalion

>> No.20782070

>>20782042
Thank you a lot, anon! I will read those. I'm thirsty for more of the kind of story I enjoyed recently and need more. Very appreciated!

>> No.20782126

>>20779752
Fat Rotpuss is a wretched writer. And I say this as someone who’s left leaning

>> No.20782162

>>20779354
Tim Powers writes supernatura secret history type books. Declare is WW2/1960s spy stuff in that vein

>> No.20782188

>>20782070
Night Circus is one of my favorite books. /sffg/ hates her ofc but Sarah Maas writes best selling fantasy romance.
If you’re ok with sci-fi then try Silver Metal Lover or Bujold, who wrote Curse of Chalion, has the Vorkosigan sf romance series

>> No.20782198

>>20779354
a lot of Lovecraft's fiction has this, most especially Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Call of Cthulhu
Dan Brown is famous (or infamous) for his stories that began with Da Vinci Code
The Stars My Destination has a conspiracy behind its plot but its not exactly horror

>> No.20782204

>>20782188
Will be reading everything, anon! I'm taking note of all the titles. All I want is a baed romance + fantasy and, ehy not, I'm taking sci-fi too. Especially if you think that author is good!
Chris and Nina from Rage of Bahamut really gave me the vibes of a beautiful romance that's crucial for the story.

>> No.20782212

>>20779354
any cthulhu mythos

>> No.20782227

>>20782188
Maas is just not a good writer. Bujold is legitimately one of the all time greats, though. I didn't love Night Circus, but it is certainly a good book.
I'd also add Guns of the Dawn to the list, which draws heavily on Jane Austen for influence

>> No.20782237

>>20782070
>>20782188
I read a book by Bujold recently called The Spirit Ring and I really liked it, it had a cute little romance - a bit young for my tastes, being between a 17 year old guy and a 15 year old girl, but reasonable enough considering it was set in 15th century Renaissance Italy
the romance is important to the plot but it's not really the "point" of the plot though, I wouldn't exactly call it an actual romance novel

>> No.20782252

>>20782227
I want to expand my criticism of Maas beyond bad. My view of her goes something like this.
Melodrama is a genre in which the plot is subservient to the conflicts between characters. This can be good in its own way, but you have to go in understanding that people and events will often be irrational, because that's the best way to increase conflict.
More often, modern readers prefer plot driven novels, where it's more about the tension of the events as a whole, rather than the character's specifically. Plot twists often dominate because that effect is most desirable, and these twists rely on a rational sequence of events to have impact.
Sarah J Maas writes plot driven books with melodrama plots.

>> No.20782258

>>20782237
Adding it to my reading list as well, anon! Thanks!

>> No.20782304

>>20779354
Whitley Strieber

>> No.20782309

>>20782237
The Chalion series isn't primarily about the romance either, but it's used as a vehicle for a huge amount of the character development

>> No.20782339

>>20782204
>Chris and Nina from Rage of Bahamut
Love them. Enemies-to-lovers is such a delicious dynamic when well-written.

>> No.20782505

>>20781260
Phasma is currently my fave Star Wars book and I didn't like the new movies. I felt like the movies introduced Phasma and then tossed her in a trash compactor.

>> No.20782517

>>20780530
Sci-fi has always been edgy.

>> No.20782555
File: 490 KB, 1591x2288, 81H72sp2BHL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20782517
spoken like a true middle-schooler

>> No.20782625
File: 27 KB, 306x500, 1642546092165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This book is really making me clench my asshole with all the descriptions of snake-sized tapeworms and anal prolapses.

>> No.20782641

>>20779752
I've read those books (the ones that are published that is), and they're decent reads. I only have some issues with the women in the story. We meet: MC's oneitis, who doesn't love him; a literal retard; and some sort of forest dwelling sex faerie. Not an exceptional support cast really. Also MC is 100% convinced all the time to have the moral high ground because he's good at magic. It's not a bad story per se but it has some rough patches.

>> No.20782659

>>20780105
Fantasy Lupin learns that crime doesn't pay

>> No.20782661

>>20780105
Read The Blacktongue Thief instead.

>> No.20782662

>>20782555
Does like 2 books from 2 centuries ago that doesn't align with my generalization, make it not true?

>> No.20782679

>>20782662
aside from the fact that Jules Verne wrote a lot more than 2 books and that his earliest is only 160 years old, you're ignoring
>Georges Melies
>Edgar Rice Burroughs
>Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon et al
>Hugo Gernsback
>John W. Campbell Jr.
>Isaac Asimov
I don't figure how those giants are "edgy"

>> No.20782681

>>20782661
More like the Gaytongue Queef.

>> No.20782687

>>20781384
The Ladies of Mandrigyn
Unnatural Magic is a recent romantic fantasy I actually liked even thought the A plot/pov/romance is boring the B one is lovely.

>> No.20782692
File: 1.02 MB, 1739x2560, A1Zz1-OdzpL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just finished Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said and couldn't quite understand why Jason reality was the only one affected by the drug taken by Alys.

>> No.20782694

>>20782681
peepee poopoo

>> No.20782697

>>20782679
I'm sure a lot of these were egdy for their time

>> No.20782701

>>20782692
I think because she knew him from TV. Something to do with her intention. Anyway that book sucks.

>> No.20782702

>>20782697
Probably not but they're very deliberately picking dogshit pulp instead of key writers from the genre's development like Wells, Bester and all of weird fiction to make their point look true.

>> No.20782711

>>20782188
Ive read Night Circus. Nice comfy book. I imagine everything I read so I still remember some fo the magic scenes years later.

>> No.20782721

>>20782702
Wells isn't edgy but Bester is

>> No.20782723

>>20782188
>but Sarah Maas writes best selling fantasy romance
Popularity is not an objective measure of quality.

>> No.20782785

>>20782723
I'm tempted to read some of the recent popular stuff like Red Rising and that Tower of Babel series to see how good or bad they are. That Nick Cutter anon posted above too.

>> No.20782808

>>20782785
Babel is really good, although i haven't read the last book yet. The first one is so incredibly anxiety inducing though, the whole plot being literally built around a grown up version of the feeling of losing your mom at a department store is legitimately difficult for me to read

>> No.20782826

>>20782785
I tried to read the first book and didn't enjoy it enough to complete it. One big thing that bugged me is right off the bat, they (the story begins with MC and his waifu) are told to be careful in the hustling shady city and sure enough, by I think it was chapter fucking 2, she's kidnapped.

>> No.20782829

>>20782808
What's the deal with the setting? It's like steampunk, but the Tower of Babel exists just cuz?

>> No.20782838

>Then she went blind, her eyes were boiled away with a soft, unfelt laser, and her mouth was a vapor of bone shards and dim echoes bouncing inside the tiny, almost poisonous cabin.
>Her skull was evaporated.
>Her bioceramic brain lay exposed.
>But even her small old mind was too massive, too cumbersome. What the autodoc took away next required several days and a fine touch that was only possible in deep space and nearly perfect zero gee. With a laser chisel and a nanoscopic precision, the machine removed the bulk of what was extra and what was standard. Half of Mere’s soul was surrendered to the oblivion, and what was left—hopefully the most learned, wisest half—was placed into a thin iron envelope and eased out of the Osmium, riding that fine long tail as it twisted and curled, slowing her still-terrific momentum until she fell into the path of the oncoming alien.

>Riding inside a tissue-thin jacket of hyperfiber, guided by electrostatic charges and a practiced hand, the black hole had been nudged into position and fixed in space. Stripped of every eye and its minimal power to maneuver, the Great Ship had plunged into the waiting hazard at one-third lightspeed.
This book is WILD as shit, bros. Imagine being a HUGE FUCKING PLEB who doesn't read hard sci-fi or enjoy it.

>> No.20782847

>>20782829
It's just generically steam punk. It's not the Tower of Babel from the bible, the author just called it that because it immediately evokes the right feeling in readers. A tower of pride doomed to fall

>> No.20782944

>>20782721
He genocides ireland in the shape of things to come lol
And also the start of this reply chain described edginess as just writing about athiesm and he definitely fits that.

>> No.20783046

>>20782785
Red Rising is meh to alright, but book 2 is where the series really shines

>> No.20783081

>>20783046
I hope I don't like them. 400+ pages, four books in each series? I've been reading stuff 200-300 ereader pages and I'm convinced these series are going to be fluffed up.

>> No.20783105

>>20782944
well if fedora-tipping is the standard for edginess in science fiction than HG Wells would certainly take the cake

>> No.20783249

>>20782339
I didn't feel like they were enemies since they fell for each other before they learned they were in opposite positions. But Nina never chose a band, really. She chose Chris over the world and didn't give a fuck, and that was top romance.
>>20782687
Thanks, anon. I'll be taking a look at this book too!

>> No.20783258

>>20781015
This bait is a bit too subtle, anon. You might try adding one of the Clifford the Big Red Dog novelas to A5 and then moving the Name of the Wind up a couple of tiers. Best of luck.

>> No.20783396

>>20783258
It's not bait, that guy's had a consistent weird taste for years now

>> No.20783474

>>20774951
Wish they kept the old cover style for the aspect emperor series instead of the shutterstock-tier phtoshop image they went with.

>> No.20783522
File: 147 KB, 605x1000, 71NaxVhqo8L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20783474
Still sublime.

>> No.20783531

>One cannot drive on roads that are not paved

>> No.20783550

>>20783531
>One cannot reign supreme on threads that are ruled by Bakker

>> No.20783551

>>20783522
Idk man whenever I see an attractive real photograph of a man on a cover, it just gives me cheap airport romance novel vibes.

>> No.20783607

>>20782188
Night Circus is terrible. DNF. Avoid unless you have or aspire to vagina.

>> No.20783645

>>20783607
What would you recommend then?
Seemed a good rec for what the other anon is looking for (?)

>> No.20783654

>>20783396
That's quite a long way of saying anon is retarded.

>> No.20783668

>>20783522
that looks awful

>> No.20783724
File: 313 KB, 929x1580, robertjordan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What the hell was his problem?

>> No.20783757
File: 58 KB, 720x720, rafe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20783724
More importantly, what was hers?

>> No.20783758

>>20783724
society not accepting bondage kinks

>> No.20783763

>>20783724
the original waifufag

>> No.20783822 [DELETED] 

“And yet you forget,” the Most Holy Bakkerposter replied, grinning.
His reflection raised a knee, stamped a sandalled heel down …
A cataclysmic thump, mazing the obsidian polish with concentric fractures, resounding through the /sffg/, where it reverberated and returned to rock all the sandisois …
Without uttering a word of sorcery.
“I AM MASTER HERE.”

>> No.20783869

When a fantasy book has LGBT as a genre such as Gideon the ninth or A Memory Called Empire for example, is that literally just "there's a gay or non binary character somewhere in the story" or is one third of the book made around gender problems and how much a guy craves dick in his ass or how much a woman love pussy?

>> No.20783888

>>20783869
It depends on the book

>> No.20783901

>>20783869
It means you do not read that book. No exceptions.

>> No.20783902

>>20783869
If it has a single gay character into the trash it goes

>> No.20783930
File: 313 KB, 1448x2048, 1659582162639.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

TWI 6.25
I skipped 6.22 D to 6.24 D, I was really having a hard time focusing and finding in the Baleros stories very interesting.
What a giant contrast with 6.25 though holy fuck, you really can't beat Izril. Seeing Ryoka improving and growing is a real delight, all her interactions with new characters are interesting and entertaining. And Lady Bethal. What a way to end the chapter. The tension building up the moment Ryoka recieved the request and the rest of the runners started to gather leading to Bethal's mologue and slip of the mask. I already liked her quite enough but my interest on her has really swollen with just this chapter. I just hope she doesn't go full anime joker.

>> No.20783984

>>20783869
Both those books are pretty "tasteful" about the gay stuff
but, no. It not just 1 rando character
It's a pretty big deal about the main character's character, and even a driving part of of plots

hmmm
They manage to not feel preachy, because they handled it like being a lesbian was totally normal and accepted in the setting
and that was that

>> No.20783992

Gay necromancers, in space

>> No.20783996

>>20783869
It's not any more sexualized than the usual books would be. You're the one thinking it's going to be like that.

>> No.20784013

>>20783869
Try - A Memory Called Empire
that's the one that focus most on "issues"
if you can't handle that.. I'm sorry, I don't know how to say this: I think you are pretty much done with books written this century

If you survive, there's a 2nd book, that is much worse, because it's doing a rehashing of the same story + less novel ideas
and a 3rd book coming, woho

>> No.20784019

>>20784013
Did you not enjoy the lesbian fisting in the second book? It wasn't anything new to me. I've read a few others with it.

>> No.20784020

>>20784013
I thought the emperor being gay-ish was a really cool plot twist. So simple, yet still a huge deal

>> No.20784047

I know its ridiculous to ask but maybe someone has insight. Is the Drizzt series any good? I had this hankering to read about beholders and other grand dark and gritty powerful characters manipulating the world in evil plots. So I tried dnd books. They all fucking suck and the dnd neediness annoys me. Does it get better with Drizzt? Is there anything good that I am describing?

>> No.20784106

how pozzed would you rate modern sf&f on a scale from 1-10?

>> No.20784108

>>20784106
There hasn't been one based and redpilled series in 20 years

>> No.20784109

>>20784106
So much so that even asking that question makes you as well because the answer is so obvious.

>> No.20784133

>>20784047
That isn't what the books are about at all.

>> No.20784208

>>20783901
>>20783902
this, unless the gay is a villain that gets killed in an interesting manner, like how Sparhawk cuts off the pedo's head in the final book of The Elenium

>> No.20784215

>>20784106
>>20784108
>>20784109
modern scifi is 100x more pozzed than modern fantasy and that's saying a lot, but you can actually find good fantasy written in the past 20 years that doesn't have sjw shit in it if you browse the right recommendations of Amazon
or for that matter, https://www.christianbook.com/page/fiction?event=EBRN&catid=1143009&cat=Fiction

>> No.20784227

Recommend non-pozzed books

>> No.20784247

>>20784227
narrow your search criteria

>> No.20784275
File: 32 KB, 331x500, abythis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20784047
Read Black Gate series imo

>> No.20784277

>>20784227
Recommend the most pozzed books

>> No.20784287

>>20784277
anything by Stephen King

>> No.20784307

>>20784287
but he is popular, popular is pozzed.

>> No.20784399

>>20784047
>Is the Drizzt series any good?
Just to clarify, are you saying if a book series that's based on a tabletop game that's meant to be enjoy by said tabletop game fans, any good?

>> No.20784424

>>20784275
Alright, tell me about it.

>> No.20784434

>>20784047
>I know its ridiculous to ask but maybe someone has insight. Is the Drizzt series any good? I had this hankering to read about beholders and other grand dark and gritty powerful characters manipulating the world in evil plots. So I tried dnd books. They all fucking suck and the dnd neediness annoys me. Does it get better with Drizzt? Is there anything good that I am describing?
Drizzt series is the worst book series I've ever read and I say it without any exaggeration. I hate it. I hate every single thing Salvatore wrote, from insane plot, stupid characters, non-sensical world-building or his attitude to the differences between DnD and books. Fuck Drizzt series and fuck Salvatore.

>> No.20784462

>>20782838
What book

>> No.20784487

>>20781710
>I personally don't believe re-writing and polishing is neccessarily positive to the quality of stories.
Ask me how i know you never managed to publish anything

>> No.20784494

>>20784487
>Ask me how i know you never managed to publish anything
I post on /lit/.

>> No.20784495
File: 721 KB, 1920x1280, twi hesheit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20783930
>TWI 6.25
Sorry to hear you didn't like the V6 baleros arc, it was one of the few things from Balers I actually liked. Looking back, I don't think it had too much impact plot-wise, but you should at least read 6.24D for the epilogue to the arc and see the story set-ups, such as Tulm's Class. As for Ryoka, her chapters are only going to get better in V6, so you're in for a treat.

How did you like Ksmvr chapters?

>> No.20784498

>>20784434
>Drizzt series is the worst book series I've ever read and I say it without any exaggeration. I hate it. I hate every single thing Salvatore wrote, from insane plot, stupid characters, non-sensical world-building or his attitude to the differences between DnD and books
So, it’s your big-standard fantasy novel?

>> No.20784500

>>20784487
>Ask me how i know you never managed to publish anything
Who cares about publishing these days? I want good stories. I don't need published stuff to get them, and I'm going to get an endless barrage of same-y stuff that's aligned with ideological dogma on the market. Webnovels have real passion and talent behind, even if unpolished.

>> No.20784504

>>20784498
Pretty much, yeah. The first Drizzt is good.

>> No.20784519
File: 57 KB, 1214x310, clearly a mistake.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Call me curious, but I just wonder why are posts like >>20774928 not removed, yet my completely valid, on-topic, non-trolling post was removed?

>> No.20784524

>>20784504
>Drow elves
I’ll see you in hell.

>> No.20784548

>>20784519
Maybe you're just really hateable. Have you considered suicide?

>> No.20784549

>>20784548
I'd kill myself if no one hated me.

>> No.20784551

>>20784424
Orc finds a magic demon circlet that gives him bigbrain powers. He fights against a racist/caste-based theocracy that has demon powers. There's also rebels and plots and schemes and demons hiding in the dark and in plain sight.

>> No.20784552

>>20784549
>I'd kill myself if no one hated me.
based, a man's worth can only be decided by the caliber of his enemies

>> No.20784560
File: 39 KB, 1024x538, ezgif-2-0a8ed4c426.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20784519
I wonder why

>> No.20784573

Wolfe is shallow and pedantic.

>> No.20784574

>>20784573
We know, anon.

>> No.20784595

>>20783081
The books are very digestible, shouldn't take you more than a couple hours per book. Pierce's prose isn't all that complex, and the books are very fast paced.

>> No.20784598

>planning to publish
>don't show my stories to many people
>usually just get generic "it's good, write more"
>show it to this girl
>she's roasting my ass in the first few paragraphs and isn't even past the first page yet and has over a page of notes already
>she's a fucking savage

...I think I found a special and valuable person.

>> No.20784609

>>20784598
Supremacy of Bakker forever true.

>> No.20784614

>>20784598
she's a keeper

>> No.20784639

>>20784598
based watch out so you dont get a humiliation fetish tho

>> No.20784664

>>20784519
No one likes namefags, even jannies

>> No.20784704

when will narrative lit retake the romance genre from the jaws of the fems
too long have they dominated the fields

>> No.20784718

>>20784462
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/100327

>> No.20784746

>>20784718
I am not much into scifi but I dig the author's surname. Surely, it can not be turned against him here.

I like Dune but its actually scifi fantasy and not a pure scifi.

>> No.20784778

>>20784718
>Hugo award-nominated
ruh-oh
>2007
what's the cutoff?

>> No.20784808

>>20784704
>when will narrative lit retake the romance genre from the jaws of the fems
>too long have they dominated the fields
Men prefer to play games than read, they find fulfilment in that. Women read romance because it's like porn for them. The only way men can retake the the literary medium is by Litrpg and Progression Fantasy genres. You know, stories that actually resonate with men and their desires, not female ones. Few men want to read about how women have it bad or how the society is bad due to discrimination. Sometimes it feels like the entirety of literary medium is depressed, constantly talking about gloom and inevitable evil. We need more Dark Fantasy with inspiring heroes desu

>> No.20784809

>>20784778
It's fine, they didn't beceome a complete joke until the 2010s.

>> No.20784853
File: 478 KB, 660x330, 1659569759806442.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

HAHAHHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA FUCK YOU FANTASYFAGS

>> No.20784959

New thread
>>20784958

>> No.20784987

>>20784853
What's wrong with this

>> No.20785021

>>20774885
Bought the Clark Ashton Smith book published by Chaosium… it seems based