[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 481 KB, 1000x861, 1602391345190.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20741433 No.20741433 [Reply] [Original]

So I just finished the Iliad. The overarching narrative is obviously Achilles his anger over his Argument and subsequent complete disrespect from Agememnon for taking his war booty girl Brisius. And finally, this anger getting further escalated by the killing of Patroclus by Hector. Then Achilles ass raping the Trojans. Killing Hector dragging his body around and getting angry again its not in complete tatters when hes done. Then Priam comes down asks for Hectors body. Achilles relents, calms down. He calls a truce for two weeks. The Trojans leave thee end basically.

the thing i'm not sure about is the entire meaning of it. Was it supposed to mean this great warrior can overcome his mental faults? and maybe even "forgive" his enemies? I also really enjoyed all the heroics by Odysseus, Diomedes etc. but the main driving force of the entire narrative the prior Achilles story. its what starts the story and ends it. everything else is just a backdrop or supplement. I did particularly like book ten where Diomedes and Odysseus kill some Thracians.

Overall. I really liked the story. I'm not going to read the Odyssey right away though. I read the Butler translation. I will read it after I read the next book. I also thought the sacrifices were extremely interesting. It made me imagine this like fuckin massive baggage train following the Greeks all the way Troy.

>> No.20742224

bump

>> No.20742268 [DELETED] 

Start with Call of the Crocodile.