[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 37 KB, 324x500, 51faLlm1iVL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20730491 No.20730491 [Reply] [Original]

This was just a guy seeing how high he could get at work without getting fired. I could just listen to coworkers rant at work and hear the same thing. Did I get filtered by Thompson?

>> No.20730499

>>20730491
Yeah.

>> No.20730527

>>20730491
If your coworkers rant with the same verve and panache as Thompson I can only congratulate you for choosing whatever career field you're in. The actual labor has to be tangential at that point.

>> No.20730529

>>20730499
That is yes, you got filtered. He was fairly solid on theme in his writing.

>> No.20730535
File: 2.15 MB, 1353x2162, 1654464378956.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20730491
Read this instead

>> No.20730537

>>20730527
they dont. his coworkers whine about that orange bad man in the whitehouse and insensitive people that dont wear their masks outside, using platitudes and mannerisms from twitter.

>> No.20730595
File: 85 KB, 306x306, 591.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20730529
Will re-read the book and see if it sticks.
>>20730535
Will do.
>>20730537
Their complaints are mostly that Biden won't increase minimum wage while inflation rises. They hate working in masks but are afraid of corona because some have had family and friends killed or crippled by the virus. It feels like everything is getting worse but pointing that out is wrong.

>> No.20730615

>>20730595
fuck, it's really sad when relatively normal people and not seething lefty 'normies' complain about shit getting worse and worse, it's the best indicator how fucked the world actually is

>> No.20730688

>>20730537
Speaking of Twitter, you need to go back there.

>> No.20730694

>>20730615
I just wish Monkeypox was actually deadly...at least then all the gays would be scourged from the earth. Every time I read a "I contracted Monkeypox, and let me tell you how bad it is and why you should worry about it!" article the author always has a line like this
>I spent the weekend having sex with multiple different men. A few days later I started to fee ill and noticed anal lesions and blisters.
Jesus Christ...gays are fucking degenerate retards. They must've bought the PC messaging the WHO was sending out about not stigmatizing Monkeypox since people who aren't gay can catch it, but then the WHO quietly says...99% of cases are contracted by gay men having unprotected sex with multiple gay men...

>> No.20730719

>>20730694
Something on your mind there anon?

>> No.20730727

>>20730719
I couldn't hack it on /pol/.

>> No.20730729

>>20730727
F

>> No.20730941

One of the worst """films""" I have ever seen, which soured me on the book completely.

>> No.20731000

>>20730694
>Jesus Christ...gays are fucking degenerate retards.
Yes. Homosexuality is a very serious public health issue, but if you try to address it you're "phobic". In reality there's nothing irrational about it. Syphillis, the STD that literally drives you insane, would be extinct in a generation if weren't for faggots. 85% of all cases today are homosexual men.

>> No.20731003

>>20731000
>100-85=0

>> No.20731016

>>20730941
Fuck you that film is a masterpiece.

>> No.20731353

>>20730491
It's made up

>> No.20731675

>>20730491
the sheer number of retards who think this novel is an autobiography in 2022 is shocking

>> No.20732041

>>20730491
It’s mostly made up OP. Thompson was trying to say something about the end of the 60’s and western society.

>> No.20732149

>This was just a guy seeing how high he could get at work without getting fired.
didn't he get fired at the end tho??

>> No.20732161

The book was an obituary and a warning, not a manual.

>> No.20732293

>>20730941
Terry Gilliam’s 1998 adaptation is one of the most faithful in the history of the medium.
Depp’s and Del Toro’s performances were fantastic, Ricci too and so many of the actors in cameo roles like Tibet Maguire who contribute to the film through their memorable bit characters.
Actual junkies avow that it’s depiction of LSD-induced hallucinations is fairly accurate to the real life experience of getting high.

>> No.20733307

>>20730491
Yeah.

>> No.20733332

>>20732041
It's probably best pointed out in this -
>“Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

>History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

>My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .

>There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

>And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

>So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

Which is undoubtedly the best passage the book has to offer in my opinion.

>> No.20733541

>>20733332
Anyone who has ever been with any movement that was shut down can relate to this quote.

>> No.20733567

>>20733541
Absolutely, he nailed it with this. Pulled the whole mish-mash of a book up until that point together as well. I don't know if he ever hit the mark on anything this well before or after this (though I haven't read everything he wrote so obviously I can't be sure).

>> No.20733612

>>20733332
So is he saying the book is essentially an homage to Las Vegas during that time period and he's glad he got to be part of some cultural phenomenon? Or am I missing a deeper point?

>> No.20733663

>>20733612
This is just my opinion but to me it always was about he (and everyone else at the time) was a part of something bigger. So the first 3 chunks of text here are his attempts to explain his actions during the madness, little bits of the madness itself and some of his actions after the madness.

Then towards the end of the 4th chunk and onwards he explains how they were winning what seemed an inevitable victory over evil -
>Our energy would simply prevail
And then the last sentence essentially explains that it didn't work out but "with the right kind of eyes" you can almost literally see where it collapsed. I hate using that to break down such a well-written sentence (and piece of text) but I hope that helps/makes some sense.

>> No.20733721

>>20733663
I liked the writing and how he conveyed the unquantifiable feeling of being a part of something bigger which I can relate to both in my past experiences as part of a college sports team with unifying goals and culture but also in personal philosophical experiences. I was mainly wondering if he identifies what he thinks this "thing" he's a part of actually is, or if he's really just relating what it felt like to be part of something bigger while not feeling it's necessary or even possible to identify what this thing is. It's a feeling that people who have done heavy psychedelic doses can relate to as well so this nondescript feeling actually would relate to the degenerate parts of the novel quite well even though I've never read it.

I feel like you could actually dissect that beautifully written passage in many ways without the context of the book but since I haven't read it I might end up making assumptions about what he's trying to convey that would likely be made clearer by the rest of the book. Either way he presents some cool ideas.

>> No.20733770

>>20733721
>I was mainly wondering if he identifies what he thinks this "thing" he's a part of actually is, or if he's really just relating what it felt like to be part of something bigger while not feeling it's necessary or even possible to identify what this thing is.
Only seems to really mention that this "thing" was the right thing to do. A case of mass synchronicity with a benevolent cause I guess you could say. Or that would be my stab at explaining it simply. If I remember correctly there isn't anything else in the book anywhere near this prescient but I'm sure there are a couple of other gems in there (it's been a while since I read it). Probably worth checking out though as it's an extremely easy read and less than 300 pages... I think. It's also probably one to tick off the list as far as things you're "supposed to read" go.

>> No.20733799

>>20730491
Yeah.

>> No.20733859

>>20732293
>Actual junkies avow that it’s depiction of LSD-induced hallucinations is fairly accurate to the real life experience of getting high.
It's not. I loved the movie until I actually dropped acid a few times and it's very inaccurate. The depiction is closer to a dissociative like DXM.

>me
>on acid
>peak is over, largely just sober with visuals
>non-druggie friends won't listen to a word I say
>"I look like a lizard to you right now don't I?"
>"can you see any unicorns?"
> "no guys, the trees are just real twirly like a fractal design"