[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 111 KB, 763x1152, Spengler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20712389 No.20712389 [Reply] [Original]

What exactly is the second religiousness?
And why did Spengler, whose entire work was lamenting the predominance of technics over philosophy, then go on to recommend people in the West to seek careers in science and technics instead of arts and philosophy?

>> No.20712393

>>20712389
Is this photo after his stroke?

>> No.20712407

>>20712389
nigga looking like a lawful neutral Crowely fr

>> No.20712411

>>20712407
this post is bussin fr fr no cap

>> No.20712417
File: 86 KB, 681x487, post.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20712520

I understand it as a civilizational impulse towards religious feeling and in particular the early religion and springtime religion. He identified anabaptism, but I think he was referring more to the sort of tendencies within anabaptism than he was saying it would be anabaptism.

I really don’t think he lamented the domination of technics so much as he lamented the fading of culture, but he recommended it out of cold recognition that the defining characteristic of this epoch is indeed technics and there’s nothing that can be done about that. So on one hand, someone with an artistic impulse might feel frustrated, but on the other hand, he’s looking at things as a historian, and as a German nationalist from a time where there still appeared to be a silver lining. So in regard to the latter his sentiment is like “Look, you can dedicate yourself to art but you’ll probably just end up frustrated and no one will really care if you succeed anyway, or you can dedicate yourself to technics and take part in this thing which is going to thrive whether you want it to or not. Keep in mind, he was basically a historian. He’s approaching things from the lens from an imagined historical canon to a certain degree. I think that doesn’t make much sense and won’t to a natural artist but that’s how he seems to view it.

>> No.20712851

>>20712520
And it’s not necessarily an endorsement of career either. To some extent, Spengler would concede that virtually all “careers” are subordinated to technics. In fact, at one point he suggests all modern painters are more workmen than creators. What he’s endorsing is creative contribution in some capacity, just in this case to technics. He’s just saying that a Cicero is more appropriate for our time than a Sophocles in regard to creative contribution.

>> No.20714319

>What exactly is the second religiousness?
The Second Religiousness is to a Culture-Civilization's religious tradition as a corpse is to a living body.

>seek careers in science and technics instead of arts and philosophy?
Because the West will be in a period of immense technical capacity and artistic/philosophical stagnation for a bit more under a century and you can still make a name for yourself doing really big projects.