[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 27 KB, 620x348, myeyes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20710827 No.20710827 [Reply] [Original]

Recently I was reading a story that contained a very graphic and sadistic torture scene. Even before reading I knew it would bother me, but my curiosity got the best of me. Since then, I can't stop thinking about that scene as the words play out over and over again in my head. I know "it's just fiction", but it's starting to drive me mad how often it pops up.

What do you guys do when you come across scenes like this?

>> No.20710860

>>20710827
realize the world is full of as many horrible things as there are good things and recognize myself as above duality

>> No.20711010

That’s sort of how I felt when I got to the part in Call of the Crocodile with the demon made of baby fetuses. It was just so fucked up

>> No.20711176

the image of the girl raising her fist at stovrogin in the censored chapter of Demons is burned into my mind

>> No.20711264

>>20710827
What novel?

>> No.20711997

The bit in Kafka on the shore when the stone started moving on its own and a ghost snake came out of it freaked me the hell out I couldn't sleep that night

>> No.20712067

When Forrest Gump sees Jenny with a kid.
What's worse, it's his kid being raised by another man who willingly married a pregnant slut.
Amazing how people were accepting of that lifestyle so long ago. I thought it's a modern thing.

>> No.20712940
File: 536 KB, 1200x945, Sade_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20710827
I just keep on reading...
Since I'm currently especially selecting books that are deemed disturbing, I don't have a problem with these scenes. IMO the worst in that kind is the Marquis de Sade. While the 120 Days of Sodom starts rather slow, later it's just an endless barrage of rape, torture, murder mostly aimed towards children. Since he run out of time in prison and had to leave his draft behind, the last chapters are only bulled points of endless lists of above mentioned rape/torture/murder scenes he wasn't able to draft out. Some seem to think that De Sades works are just some naughty BDSM novels, while especially the 120 Days is more the novel equivalent of "A Serbian Film"... just so much more gruesome.

I'm currently reading de Sade's "Justine, or The Misfortunes of Virtue" which also has lots of the above mentioned scenes, just not es many as the 120 days. But I'm more disturbed by De Sade's bad writing style and the many moments where you can almost imagining him "tipping his fedora". Even in movies it's a really bad trope when villains explain their plans in detail. De Sade is even worse, there are pages after pages of antagonists not just explaining their plans to the protagonist, but also rationalising their deeds and anti-religious, anti-humanist and anti-society philosophies. It's like if De Sade's cosmos of characters only consists of ruthless highly intelligent sociopaths with excessive logorrhoe when asked about their reasons (or even when not asked at all since they're just that chatty). Every single antagonist in every chapter has these moments when the plot is stopped in its tracks and now you have dozens and dozens of pages of just them talking about their worldview.

>> No.20713607

>>20712067
>Forrest Gump
>so long ago