[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 93 KB, 1280x720, 1543486655391.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20679032 No.20679032 [Reply] [Original]

“Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.
Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness, and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo...and it's worth fighting for.”

>> No.20679351

>>20679032
you should read the LOTR books, the trilogy, I think you will like it even more than the movies, the speeches are even better

>> No.20680247

>>20679032
you just know this was right before some hobbit cheeks got clapped

>> No.20680262

>>20679351
Isn't that just YA shit? Lit tells me to avoid this kind of fiction stuff

>> No.20680287

>>20679032
Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.
Sam: But you have a +5 sword and +5 armor. Even with the hobbit stat penalties you're a beast with the initiative bonus. Despite the ring of invisibility being cursed you can use it for short periods and I have my level 3 cleric spells.

>> No.20680389

>>20680287
kek
what kind of party has 4 bards anyways

>> No.20680406

>>20679032
>Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo...and it's worth fighting for.”
That's what every tyrant leader in the history thought

>> No.20680458

>>20679032
>Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?
>Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo...and it's worth fighting for.”
yes so it's atheistic delusion

funny how atheists used relativism to take power, then they say ''there is some objective good values bros'', and yet they never say what those are

>> No.20680466
File: 227 KB, 1080x1080, 1656075575209.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>“The Balrog reached the bridge. Gandalf stood in the middle of the span, leaning on the staff in his left hand, but in his other hand Glamdring gleamed, cold and white. His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings. It raised the whip, and the thongs whined and cracked. Fire came from its nostrils. But Gandalf stood firm.

>'You cannot pass,' he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. 'I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.'

>The Balrog made no answer. The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly onto the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall; but still Gandalf could be seen, glimmering in the gloom; he seemed small, and altogether alone: grey and bent, like a wizened tree before the onset of a storm.

>From out of the shadow a red sword leaped flaming.

>Glamdring glittered white in answer.

>There was a ringing clash and a stab of white fire. The Balrog fell back and its sword flew up in molten fragments. The wizard swayed on the bridge, stepped back a pace, and then again stood still.

>'You cannot pass!' he said.

>With a bound the Balrog leaped full upon the bridge. Its whip whirled and hissed.

>'He cannot stand alone!' cried Aragorn suddenly and ran back along the bridge. 'Elendil!' he shouted. 'I am with you, Gandalf!'

>'Gondor!' cried Boromir and leaped after him.

>At that moment Gandalf lifted his staff, and crying aloud he smote the bridge before him. The staff broke asunder and fell from his hand. A blinding sheet of white flame sprang up. The bridge cracked. Right at the Balrog's feet it broke, and the stone upon which it stood crashed into the gulf, while the rest remained, poised, quivering like a tongue of rock thrust out into emptiness.

>With a terrible cry the Balrog fell forward, and its shadow plunged down and vanished. But even as it fell it swung its whip, and the thongs lashed and curled about the wizard's knees, dragging him to the brink. He staggered and fell, grasped vainly at the stone, and slid into the abyss. 'Fly, you fools!' he cried, and was gone.”

>> No.20680471

>>20680262
It's better than YA, but not as 'good' as real literary works. Still worth reading, especially for someone who otherwise is inclined to enjoy the movies.

>> No.20680555

>>20680471
Tolkien is real literature.

>> No.20681620

>>20679032
The movies are so comfy

>> No.20682045

>>20679032
so they were gay right?

>> No.20682182

>>20682045
You are an immund tranny, neck yourself NOW!

>> No.20682582

>>20682045
You must not be male or have real male friends

>> No.20682762

>>20679032
>Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?
>Sam: Your big fat cock, Mr. Frodo...