[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 47 KB, 300x467, my-brilliant-friend-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20637264 No.20637264 [Reply] [Original]

why is it so popular? what does it mean when a novel is both critically acclaimed and incredibly popular with regard to its future status in literature?

>> No.20637307

>>20637264
If the near future still has/cares about a canon, it will be in it

>> No.20638271

Women took over academy

>> No.20638528

>>20637264

Read the novels with honesty and make your own opinion.

I liked it because of a number of factors:

The characters are well built and, as they are presented over a long time, you end up taking an interest in them; moreover, the psychology of many of them is presented in a ruthlessly realistic way.

The language of the books is generally simple, precise and direct, but there are moments of great poetry with the use of striking and creative metaphors and similes.

Political and social issues are presented impartially and objectively

Much of the book deals with a topic that is of particular interest to me: how a person with an absurdly high IQ lives, especially how such a person lives when surrounded by a world of poverty, ignorance, and all sorts of limitations.

The author is concerned with telling a story and presenting various themes that all humans have to deal with: love, fear, hate, ambition, envy, loneliness, sexuality, children, illness, aging, death, etc. There is no postmodern arrogance and the kind of things you find in novels where pseudo-inventions of language are more important than the characters.

Some of the sections in the book about the lives of workers in sausage and bologna factories are as sober and frightening in their brutal honesty as Chekhov's later short-stories (I know these passages are true because I work with Labor Law, and believe me. me: factories in countries where labor legislation is weak are horrendous environments of exploitation and abuse).

For anyone who wants to learn how to realistically create female characters these novels are a great source of learning.

>> No.20638579

The first book at least will become a part of the future canon for its fascinating and pretty much unique depiction of female friendship.

>> No.20638652

>>20638528
Have you read Penelope Fitzgerald? If so, brief comparison, please.

>> No.20638665

>>20638652

Sorry, I have never read her. But I will go after her work. Thank you for the tip.

>> No.20638684

>>20638665
Blue Flower, The Beginning of Spring....

>> No.20638689
File: 42 KB, 479x641, 458.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My /chicklit/ general thread died with a whimper.

>> No.20639398
File: 142 KB, 820x1383, ferrante on imagination.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lila doesn't exist, she's too perfect to be real.
Elena is Ferrante herself, and the novels are her autobiography. most of the events and characters are imaginary, but the thoughts are real or "adapted". she did feel those things over the course of her life.
Lila is Ferrante's figment of imagination that pushed her to be better, helped her overcome difficulties and served as a sort of internal motivation mechanism.

thoughts about this theory?

>> No.20639980

>>20639398
I think it's more likely we see Lila through Lenu's eyes who idealizes her to the extreme.

>> No.20640145

>>20639980
I judge Lila by her actions and by how other people react to her. Lenu doesn't lie about that. she has a distorted perspective, mainly her moral judgement is many times negative, sometimes she even sees Lila as evil, but that's not what her actions tell me. Regarding Lila's abilities, it's not just Lenu that sees her as remarkable, brilliant, it's everyone (except Daddy Cerullo, ofc).

she's too perfect to be real.

>> No.20640152

>>20637264
Because people falsely believe it was written by a woman despite the fact that it has been proven to be the work of a man using a pseudonym

>> No.20641791

>>20640152
coping moid, your kind can't write like this just accept it

>> No.20643291

>>20637264
Just read it.

>> No.20643417

>>20643291
I did, I think it's going to be part of the canon, it's probably the best work of italian literature in the past century, or at least half century. trying to see what people think.
the comparable work in modern literature, Knausgaard's Magnum Opus is dwarfed in popularity, and that says everything about the neapolitan novels.