[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 339 KB, 916x1210, CC444AAC-87FA-412C-ABCA-661799DD5777.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20623661 No.20623661 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here read Idylls of the King? It's absolutely criminal how little this KINO gets mentioned even when the Matter of Britain does come up here. I don't even normally like poetry but it's just beautifully written.

Anyway, ITT, discuss anything and everything related to King Arthur, the Grail, and the works about them.

>> No.20624696

>>20623661
youtube.com/watch?v=lTX75uA80T4

Wagner replaced the asking of the question with the return of the spear, which was only possible through Parsifal's identification with the suffering (and the cause of the suffering) of Amfortas. As such the meaning remains essentially the same, and Wagner can further extrapolate on the theme of Amfortas' suffering with the masculine and feminine connotations of the spear and grail. In the words of Jung "The undeniable sexual symbolism might easily lead to the one-sided interpretation that the union of spear and Grail merely signifies a release of sexuality. The fate of Amfortas shows, however, that sexuality is not the point. On the contrary, it was his relapse into a nature-bound, brutish attitude that was the cause of his suffering and brought about the loss of his power."

>What is important is not the question, but the recovery of the spear (Cosima's Diary, 30 January 1877).

If you're interested read Levi-Strauss' interpretation of the myth:

monsalvat.no/levi-strauss.htm

>> No.20625771
File: 2.40 MB, 4000x3337, perceval.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20624696
absolutely based effortposter

>> No.20625870
File: 53 KB, 331x500, 51zAV9grztL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've just started picrel, a gigantic epic spanning seven days, characters include Arthur, Merlin and Taliesin. I can't say anything about it personally, but his novel A Glastonbury Romance, which also has an Arthurian aspect to it, is my all time fave novel. Others have said
>Porius is, I think, Powys's masterpiece. It calls to mind novels as diverse as One Hundred Years of Solitude, Finnegans Wake, and Alice in Wonderland. At times it reads like an extended study of what Powys called "the three incomprehensibles": sex, religion, and nature. At other times it reads like a magical mystery extravaganza. In one chapter an owl metamorphoses into a bird-maiden; in another the hero, Prince Porius, mates with an aboriginal giantess while her father is plucking corpses off a battlefield with cannibalistic intent; in another the bard Taliessin (Powys's mouthpiece) chants verses about "The ending forever of the Guilt-sense and God-sense, / The ending forever of the Sin-sense and Shame-sense...." I can imagine the alarm in the offices of Simon & Schuster, Powys's American publisher, when the 1,589-page manuscript of the novel arrived.
>Porius is a Shakespearean-epic sweep of historicity with a Jamesian finesse of psychological detail and acuity. Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom!, which I believe to be the American masterpiece after Melville, is a smaller thing by comparison."

>> No.20625881

>>20625870
I'm already reading three other novels, but I guess I'll download this and check out a couple chapters

>> No.20625891

>>20625881
You can't treat Powys so blithely!