[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 200x265, crusaders1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2059470 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/,

Would you be able to suggest some good books on The Crusades?

I'd like them to be written for someone who has an interest in them rather than a full blown historian if possible. I've done some research looking at all of the ones on Amazon(.co.uk) but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start.

I'm fine with it being multiple books too. In fact, that's probably better than a 250 page book trying to summarise all of them.

Thanks

>> No.2059522

I don't expect you'll find a good one.

>> No.2059525

>>2059522
Care to elaborate?

>> No.2059539

Parzival mentions the crusades, but more as an aside about where the title character's father met his first wife. Most literature contemporary to the crusades says little about the crusades but dwells chiefly on the institution of knighthood.

Try this http://omacl.org/Tasso/

>> No.2059599

Deus Lo Volt, by Evan S Connell

>> No.2059607
File: 42 KB, 370x505, You stink.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2059470
>I'd like them to be written for someone who has an interest in them rather than a full blown historian if possible.

So you don't want a history book with a critical eye but rather a piece of fluff that inspires the reader to perhaps take up arms and start killing de muzzies. Right?

>> No.2059615

>>2059607
I think he kinda wants pop history, the same way pop science is just watered down science rather than full blown.

>> No.2059625

>>2059607
No, I want a historical non-fiction book(s) that isn't written for historians. As in it doesn't overwhelm with you information that a well researched historian would already know, but is written for someone who has an interest in it but no real prior knowledge.

I know I didn't mention I wanted non-fiction, but I thought it would be a given.

>> No.2059642
File: 44 KB, 326x500, 1453-Crowley.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2059625
I have been reading non-fiction, and mostly of a historical bent a lot lately. Sorry if I came off rude, but getting amateur books about history instead of professional just disgusts me.
Unless you're a 10 year old I see no reason to buy such drivel, and if you are, or are buying for a 10 year old, they shouldn't be reading about the fucking crusades.

Pic related. An easy to read professional history. The Fourth Crusade was nothing more than a pillaging expedition, and this is the story of the city they left behind.

>> No.2059643

>>2059625
>it doesn't overwhelm with you information that a well researched historian would already know
> but is written for someone who has an interest in it but no real prior knowledge

Pick one.
Nobody writes introductory histories that skip over everything the well-informed historians already know. Also all advanced writings within the field of history will by their nature target an audience with prior knowledge.

>> No.2059647

OP, maybe you could try a documentary if you want introductory stuff, Discovery channel's the crescent and the cross is pretty cool.

>> No.2059662

>>2059642
>>2059643
Ok, I'm not a stupid person, I just didn't want to get too bogged down.

I'll look into that book though, and then I guess I'll read wikipedia or something to get an idea before I read anything more complete on the other crusades.

>> No.2059677

I would suggest, as a starting place, Andrew Jotischky's Crusading and the Crusader States. It's only about 250 pgs and gives a good, general overview of the crusades, not just to the Holy Land, but also other varieties of crusading projects.

But, as has been noted already, you should really only look at books written by professional historians. Anything else is just ridiculous dribble not worthy of the trees sacrificed for its pages.

>> No.2059697
File: 180 KB, 652x581, 1312637345768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

The First Crusade: "The Chronicle of Fulcher of Chartres" and Other Source Materials by Edward Peters.
The First Crusade by Steven Runciman.
The First Crusade and the Idea of Crusading by Jonathan Riley-Smith
The Crusades Through Arab Eyes by Amin Maalouf

Are all pretty good historical views on the First Crusade. (there were around 23 all told, 9 "major" ones)
Incidentally the First Crusade was not quite as unprovoked as "common" history might tell you.
Also the Catholics pillaged several Byzantian cities and pretty much killed as many Eastern Orthodox followers as they did Muslims, essentially cementing the schism between the two.