[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 854x480, snapshot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20589623 No.20589623 [Reply] [Original]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxwwGkt_E7I
>my grandfather died at 78
>good enough for me
Seeing intelligent people express this attitude baffles me, especially if they're successful and ambitious; don't they realize that without aging, they would probably live hundreds of years (until some accident or other illness did them in), in which they would be healthy, full of youth and vitality, and be able to accomplish so much more?
Ironically, Roderick didn't even make to 78; he died at 51.

>> No.20589629

>>20589623
Also, am I to believe that if aging was curable, these people wouldn't take the cure on principle?

>> No.20589630

>>20589623
Only Jews and satanists want to live forever to avoid eternal damnation. The children of God are not afraid to return to the Father.

>> No.20589641

>>20589630
>Only Jews and satanists want to live forever to avoid eternal damnation. The children of God are not afraid to return to the Father.
You'll still die, with or without aging. People today die all the time from non-aging related causes, like car accidents, an heroing, incel terrorism, COVID, or Monkeypox.
It's just a matter of when and how.
No aging means people would life hundreds of years on average, and they would be completely healthy during those hundreds of years.
This seems obviously preferable to what we have now.

>> No.20589755

>>20589623
>Why are intelligent people so bluepilled about x
Happens all the time. Most intelligent people are Democrats which tells you something

>> No.20589769

If you’re intelligent life is miserable so by 40 you’re ready to go.

>> No.20589782

Because they're not in death denial.

>> No.20589804
File: 22 KB, 300x450, 600-03865038en_Masterfile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20589623
I'll let you in on a little secret, kid. A lot of men and women become so tired of life as they come into middle age they end up seeing death as a relief, but they will take that secret to their deathbed, especially when they've had kids. There, that's the big secret.

>> No.20589834

>>20589804
>I'll let you in on a little secret, kid. A lot of men and women become so tired of life as they come into middle age they end up seeing death as a relief, but they will take that secret to their deathbed, especially when they've had kids. There, that's the big secret
So why aren't they pushing for aging to be cured, then?

>> No.20589958

>>20589834
You misunderstood him. It isn't that they are tired of life because they are middle age, it is because what is fundamentally required of people to eek out a living takes the joy out of life, for the vast majority of humanity living forever means working at walmart forever. They would rather die. Humanity isn't all going to turn in to 100k a day Alpha CEOs just because they live forever.

Which brings me to something I have thought of regarding immortality, that humans are not psychological equipped for it on a very basic biological level. Death has been around as long as life has, and it the inevitability of it is built in, accounted for, on some deep level that trickles down the people's psychological profile. Life is built around passing the baton on to the next generation.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that people simply choose what is abstractly the most reasonable choice, when it is well understood that they don't and are not even evolved to do so.

I think any kind of immortality will need to come along with some sort of complete rebuild of the human mind.

>> No.20590072

>>20589623
>MUUUUSTTTTT PROOOODOOOOOCCCCCCEEEEE

>MUUUUSTTTTT ACOOOOMMMMPLISHHH

wtf is wrong with atheists

>> No.20590147

>>20590072
>wtf is wrong with atheists
You're the ones who want to kys in order to be immortal forever. Aren't you?

>>20589958
>. It isn't that they are tired of life because they are middle age, it is because what is fundamentally required of people to eek out a living takes the joy out of life,
>>20589834
>>20589804

good points.

>>20589623
>without aging, they would
>be healthy,
Not at all the case.

I'm not sure how 'cell decay' would be stopped in the first place; since cells exist in a state of flux and constantly burn away and rejuvenate, repairing the immune system and the vitality of the organs, etc. and the brain. Peak human is about 30 yrs of age, 30 to 50, let's say, when body and brain have hit their maximum levels. But if this is slowed down or stopped entirely then the human would be likely become incredibly sickly and weak, kind of like HIV as a consequence as their immune system would've been turned off or greatly weakened as a consequence. Like with slow metabolism and fast metabolism.

>>20589782
>Because they're not in death denial.
yeah I think this is it.

>> No.20590152

>>20590072
It's more like
>MUUUUSTTTTT not want to get Alzheimer's
>MUUUUSTTTTT not want to get macular degeneration
>MUUUUSTTTTT not want to become incontinent
etc.

>> No.20590173

>>20589641
It would be preferable if there was a check on population growth. With everyone lingering around for centuries, the number of people would explode. How much more offspring could someone have if they didn't age?
The other, more likely, scenario is only the elite becoming unaging, which would also spiral into a very tenuous state of affairs.

>> No.20590185

I genuinely could not care less about this topic even if you held me down and fucked my face relentlessly while requesting that I start caring but I just wanted to drop some Rick Roderick appreciation.

>> No.20590221

>>20589623
He looks like Zizek but his philosophy is the opposite of Zizek.

>> No.20590222

>>20590173
>is only the elite becoming unaging, which would also spiral into a very tenuous state of affairs.
this is what they're already doing; john mccains brain was drained several times in an attempt to keep him medically alive so he could flail his wrists in a wheelchair like the grandpa from texaschainsaw.

>> No.20590245

Because the redpill is only useful to acquire access to a socially safe and prestigious position.

Once the thing is done the mind stops doing anything relevant and just focuses on keeping the acquired position.

>> No.20590256

>>20589623
Is he that guy who was calling out the Frankfurt school and the Foucault pedos like thirty years before anyone else even heard of them?

>> No.20590263

>>20590173
>It would be preferable if there was a check on population growth. With everyone lingering around for centuries, the number of people would explode. How much more offspring could someone have if they didn't age?
>The other, more likely, scenario is only the elite becoming unaging, which would also spiral into a very tenuous state of affairs.
Every country's fertility rate is declining, even in Africa.
Also people would still die, with or without aging.

>> No.20590287

>>20589623
Why do you want to live so long? When I was a teenager, living forever was kind of a dream to me, but now I don't feel too comfortable in this world. It's not a just world; it's not a good world. There is too much suffering. There are good things in life, but bearing the horrible things we must endure for more than a couple of decades is too much. Don't you feel trapped in this existence? We can't escape the laws of this universe... and these laws are blind and deaf to all our feelings; it doesn't even recognise us as beings, we are just more insignificant matter.

>> No.20590300

>>20590287
>Why do you want to live so long? When I was a teenager, living forever was kind of a dream to me,
I've never understood this, when I was a kid I wanted to be 30, and then be old and annoy people.

Can you explain why you thought "living forever" was attractive idea? genuinely curious to hear a reason 'why'.

>> No.20590314
File: 72 KB, 549x1020, 9A2613CF-3F2F-4E06-B2F8-96B1EF8FA792.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20590147
I’m a Christian who has no particular hopes or beliefs about the afterlife, other than I expect annihilation of my ego and body. Those almost certain eventualities make no difference to me, now embedded in this body and life, or on my decision to recognize Christ as the guide and exemplar of my life. Ps. I considered myself atheist agnostic until I stopped trying to rationalize god and allowed faith to enter into the equation.

>> No.20590362

Rick Roderick is great

>> No.20590403

>>20590314
I was just remarking on the irony of the thought process that took the christian claim of immortality and put it onto atheists.

I think other guy was correct; people who fear death are concerned about such things. Theism or Atheism doesn't really connect to fear of death or no fear of death, but it is just ironic that you, as a christian, recognize the silliness or childlike thought processes that would produce "i wanna live for ever" in the first place lol it's kind of the whole point of immortality with jesus, right? xd

>> No.20590439

>>20590300
I was naive; who wasn't? When we are young, we don't just believe we will get to have the girl of our dreams - which doesn't even exists -, we believe that this first love will last forever. Then, even if you get a special girl, and she doesn't leave you, you notice that, in just a few years, your love is not so strong anymore... I am talking about love, but everything seems better at that age. Everyone believes they have a bright future ahead of them, but we all just become vulgar, common; we just struggle to survive like everyone else; we lose our friends like everyone else; we develop fears like everyone else; we are not so sure about anything anymore. When we are young we feel so sure that we are good.

>> No.20590475

>>20590403
The difference is that, when achieving immortality with Jesus, everything will be perfect. You will be perfect; the earth will be perfect; we will be able to be close to our creator. Achieving immortality in this world would never compare.

>> No.20590523

>>20590072
you just described protestants tho

>> No.20590543

>>20589958
Good post

>> No.20590772

>>20590475
are you the same person i was replying to? hm. doesnt sound like the same position.

Well, um..
>, when achieving immortality with Jesus, everything will be perfect. You will be perfect; the earth will be perfect; we will be able to be close to our creator. Achieving immortality in this world would never compare.
give me a fucking break, this is dumb dumb dumb. If this is your reason for your religion; you ACTUALLY wanna be immortal - this is a serious thing you want - ... then rofl; this is like the super villain position where the villain sets out to gain immortality for no particular reason they ever mention, basing the notion of living forever to be somehow desirable.

But then you say that immortality with jesus in heaven is the best kind of immortality, but then this raises all sorts of impractical ideas most of them rooted in fantasy, so you've got no clear idea even of what the immortality would entail or actually be like. Presumably the idea is that you would be a powerful god-like being.

idk, it seems very silly to me. More silly than living forever in the world, because at least you could attempt to do something with the extra years if you remained an actual human with hands, and stuff.

>> No.20591107

>>20589623
You're approaching Roderick's video from the perspective he's attacking in the video (and in that series, The Self Under Siege, which you should watch). In that way it's fitting that you make this post about a video in which he discusses Heidegger.

Anyways, your post betrays that you think aging is something that could be cured to the point that we "would probably live hundreds of years (until some accident or other illness did them in), in which they would be healthy, full of youth and vitality, and be able to accomplish so much more". That this is possible is hardly a foregone conclusion (or even a likely prospect), and so your belief in it is revealing and has implications that need to be discussed before we can tackle your explicit question of whether or not it is desirable.

You imply that youth, vitality, and health (which you probably think of as an analog for youthfulness and vitality) are the paramount measures of human life, as in a higher measure of any of these is good in itself. This is exactly what Roderick's talking about in that video so watch that again and carefully. As people get older they try to maintain their youth, vitality, and health in a way that's ludicrous. He sums it up as this anon >>20589782 does succinctly in saying that they are running from death; it's escapism pure and simple, and it will be all the more tragic when the people that have spent their lives running from death are finally forced to stare it straight in the face as they begin to die anyways and in spite of their efforts. Death isn't something you can run from successfully, so what does it represent when people organize their lives around running from it?

That you apparently think it is possible is more important than whether or not you think it is desirable. It's liberal and/or technological hubris plain and simple, and an ideological abstraction away from reality rather than a practical view of reality. I don't know if that's you talking with that Christian guy, but if it is you're at least as retarded as he is. If his understanding of Christianity is that he will receive immortality ex machina in the afterlife, yours is that we can achieve an approximation here on Earth.

In my experience, medicine and science is not nearly as powerful as you might think, nor is man nearly as much the master of his reality as he believes himself to be. My parents were more active and healthy in their 70s than the average 20 year old but that didn't stop my dad from getting dementia or my mom from falling and breaking her hip. It did turn out to be a bummer all those times I invited them to eat and they denied so they could stay on their diet. Those extra years don't go as long as you think; what are you going to accomplish in your 80s or 90s? And what about quality of life?

>> No.20591181

>>20590772
I was not the same person and I am not adept to any religion. I am still in search for it. That aside, what I said is defended by the bible. We were created in perfection - perfect beings do not perish -, but deviated from the righteous path more and more. Salvation is achieving perfection once again.

>> No.20591193

>>20590772
>>20591181
>you've got no clear idea even of what the immortality would entail or actually be like
Yes, just like Adam and Eva weren't even aware of the existence of death.

>> No.20591199
File: 271 KB, 600x318, FE3D2E07-FD09-4A4C-B4EC-94BE9EECD191.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20589804
As a middle aged man, can confirm. I welcome annihilation and/or apotheosis. At this point I honestly think I’d prefer the former.

>> No.20591216

>>20591107
>succinctly in saying that they are running from death; it's escapism pure and simple, and it will be all the more tragic when the people that have spent their lives running from death are finally forced to stare it straight in the face as they begin to die anyways and in spite of their efforts. Death isn't something you can run from successfully, so what does it represent when people organize their lives around running from it?
False dichotomy between "running from death" (i.e., wanting to live forever) and being expected to welcome death after 50-70ish years of life, of which most are of declining, and eventual poor, health.
Nothing precludes you from opposing aging, while still accepting death, anymore than opposing Smallpox, cancer, or any other disease would.

>> No.20591225

>>20591193
>Yes, just like Adam and Eva weren't even aware of the existence of death
Sure they were; because they hadn't "eaten next of the tree of immortality" and gained eternal life, god threw them out expressly for that reason, so they were mortal before 'the fall'.

>>20591181
>I am not adept to any religion. I am still in search for it
might i suggest natural materialism

>We were created in perfection
indeed we were; a human from the ice ages was tougher, smarter, faster, absolutely superior. apex man.

>> No.20591362

>>20591225
You are completely wrong about this. Adam and Eve were not mortal before the fall. Death is a consequence of sin. God did not create us to die. We have death because of sin.
This has always been the Christian teaching.
>materialism
No!

>> No.20591403

>>20591362
I still have difficulty believing literalists like you exist, but whatever you have to tell yourself to make it through the week I guess ...

>> No.20591497

>>20591362
duude this just shows you haven't read your bible. The eden story is one of the greatest debunks for abramic theology, you ought read it today.

>> No.20591531

>>20591403
there is no 'good' analogy for what happens in the eden story either, it just gives a backstory for their god where their god is complete moron who 1) greatly fears tat humans develop a knowledge of right and wrong, 2) thinks (such) wisdom comes from eating a piece of fruit, 3) walks around looking for Adam, 4) creates Eve unaware of what she'd do, 5) is terrified that Adam and Eve actually 'have' become like gods because they now know the 'knowledge of god and evil', 6) exiles them to stop them from eating from the tree of immortality, 7) also curses a snake to crawl on its belly and curses eve to feel pain when he pelvic bone is torn apart during childbirth,

there's no many layers of stupid there in the first place, but the 'evil' thing - which could not be true of any creator god of humans - is that he thinks knowledge of right and wrong is bad and that it comes from eating a piece of fruit. This undermines much - or explains a lot, rather - of the idea of 'belief' being more important than virtue or good actions.

>> No.20591561

i mean, it should be fucking obvious: but a person who cannot tell right from wrong is not capable of 'not' doing bad things and cannot consciously do any good things either; for being unable to tell right from wrong.

cue the esoteric apologism for this, but it's all bogus. this story was obviously written by retards from the most backward place on the planet. 'or' it's an edited story, where the god is a fake god (or evil slave master) and the snake is the real god, something like this probably, from egypt or somewhere where snakes were considered holy most likely.

>> No.20591568

>>20591403
>>20591497
Yes it is literal and this has always been the traditional understanding.
This isn't some weird new age thing that evangelicals made up.
It's a fact.
I won't apologize for speaking the truth.

>> No.20591569

>>20591531
pedestrian - or raving homeless-person retarded, rather - understanding of the eden story.

>> No.20591617

>>20591216
It's more a dichotomy between moderation and immoderation. To continue your example, it's about denying (versus opposing) aging to begin with rather than death proper. People don't deny that they will die, they deny that they are getting older, and their fear/horror (versus opposition) of aging is what's immoderate. "I feel better at 70 than I did in my 20s!" "I'm 65 and I feel great!" Think of Roderick's examples; spending hours a day in a gym, a 90 year old on the stair-stepper.

>> No.20591646

>>20589623
Animal instinct and irrational fear aren't signs of intelligence, on the contrary. In regard to death, humans are only different from the rest of life as we know it in our ability to anticipate it, in the ends we go to in order to mitigate it, and in that we generally have the ability and the choice to reject these lower instincts and irrational fears. Embracing death then is the higher, sentient path.

What's more, you've fooled yourself if you thought those anti-aging drugs and technologies to come would be for you. The people who will bring them about are bound to their irrational, animalistic fear of death as much as they are to their desire for power. To think that they would voluntarily surrender their greatest tools for the acquisition of power, death and fear of it, is neither a sign of intelligence. We'd die mostly in our 30's or 40's as humans have tended to do if a longer life didn't enable and enhance our exploitation and so increase the power of those that rule over us. The first freedom from which all others derive is from the fear of death.

>>20589629
It being curable is not say it would be available. Were it available I would sooner choose to die. The prolonging of our suffering well beyond our usefulness isn't a rational, humanitarian choice.

>>20589630
Ironically to think that you might fool God is a surer path to damnation.

>>20589641
>incel terrorism, COVID, or Monkeypox.
All negligible causes and "COVID" specifically is entirely debateable.
>No aging means people would life hundreds of years on average, and they would be completely healthy during those hundreds of years.
As if aging were the only source of illness or disease.
Profoundly ignorant post, all in all.

>>20589804
"Middle age" today is when we were to expect it, if not sooner, for millions of years, for all but this last sliver of human existence.

>>20589834
They are, just not you.

>> No.20591648

>>20591568
>I won't apologize for speaking the truth.
You couldn't pass a lie detector on this subject so shut the fuck up.

>>20591569
I'm not trying to convince you, anon, I'm demonstrating to the reader why your ethos is completely baseless and produces a society who can't tell right from wrong, men from women, and ends up being ruled by the most corrupt people around whilst being able to offer no intellectual argument against ... anything.

See, you prove this, I present the simple story as it is, and you refute nothing, cite nothing and respond with insults. This just tells everybody that you know you're wrong, and it refutes your own claims at being moral.

>> No.20591661

>>20591568
>This isn't some weird new age thing that evangelicals made up
No, it's not. It's the first story of the Hebrew Canon, of which Jesus later comes around to tell you has destroyed your society, you hebrew.

>> No.20591679 [DELETED] 
File: 8 KB, 300x244, zapffe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20591646
>humans are only different from the rest of life as we know it in our ability to anticipate it
I know the other pessimists and I post about Zapffe, a lot, but I think everyone ITT would benefit from the revelation of reading The Last Messiah. It frames our predicament so well.

"But as he stands before imminent death, he grasps its nature also, and the cosmic import of the step to come. His creative imagination constructs new, fearful prospects behind the curtain of death, and he sees that even there is no sanctuary found. And now he can discern the outline of his biologicocosmic terms: He is the universe’s helpless captive, kept to fall into nameless possibilities. I wonder what Big Rick thought of Zapffe, if he thought of him at all.

From this moment on, he is in a state of relentless panic.

Such a ‘feeling of cosmic panic’ is pivotal to every human mind."

https://youtu.be/Yr4ZfEf-lF0

>> No.20591693
File: 8 KB, 300x244, zapffe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20591646
>humans are only different from the rest of life as we know it in our ability to anticipate it
I know the other pessimists and I post about Zapffe, a lot, but I think everyone ITT would benefit from the revelation of reading The Last Messiah. It frames our predicament so well. I wonder what Big Rick thought of Zapffe, if he thought of him at all.

"But as he stands before imminent death, he grasps its nature also, and the cosmic import of the step to come. His creative imagination constructs new, fearful prospects behind the curtain of death, and he sees that even there is no sanctuary found. And now he can discern the outline of his biologicocosmic terms: He is the universe’s helpless captive, kept to fall into nameless possibilities.

From this moment on, he is in a state of relentless panic.

Such a ‘feeling of cosmic panic’ is pivotal to every human mind."

https://youtu.be/Yr4ZfEf-lF0 [Embed]

>> No.20591758

>>20589958
And existing in perpetual illness and suffering long after you should have expired. It will only serve as a tool for our further exploitation so long as human nature does.

>>20590072
If you're not going to reproduce or believe in some higher power then this is the primary cope you have left. It's hardly exclusive to atheists though and it's the primary reason our cultures have "progressed" to what they are today. Every monument is to fear of death, every achievement done in it's service.

>>20590152
Then just die with your dignity in tact as much as is possible, don't seek medical intervention for the things that ail you. Expecting the tools that prolong your suffering and that rob you of your dignity to negate them is incoherent.

>>20590173
There are near endless checks on population growth, most every social movement serves this. That the world's population is apparently still steadily increasing doesn't change that. If we weren't controlling population it would have continued to grow exponentially over the last century, outpacing and exceeding carrying capacity decades ago. In your lifetime you'll probably begin to see, apparently, just how effective they've been. Many people are already recognizing the symptoms.
>>20590263
There are exceptions but that's the rule. A lot of the developing world is still above replacement though for the time being. It seems the hope is that we can all navigate that situation as Japan has, but somehow without other growing populations to exploit.

>>20590222
This will happen naturally as a function of the cost of such interventions at first. When the cost is no longer a barrier, if it's not already too late, they'll simply find some other means to exclude us.

>> No.20591782

I really like Rick, how he brings old ideas into his day. His idea that philosophy should be our time comprehended in thought really stuck with me. Though it feels like an immensely impossible task and not at the forefront of philosophical academia.

>> No.20591900

>>20591531
I feel you and share in your confusion. I interpret the apple metaphor several ways: a transition from a hunter-gatherer to an agrarian lifestyle, the development of abstract language processing allowing discernment of good vs. evil, etc., but yeah it seems pretty goofy as a creation myth even amongst a pantheon of goofy creation myths. If literally believing the details of Genesis is a requisite article of faith, man do I fail hard.

>> No.20592014
File: 670 KB, 2083x1842, Black-Wojak.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20591900
Please go and degrade the quality of discourse of some other place.

>> No.20592048

>>20591900
It could be as simple as >>20591693

Whatever happened? A breach in the very unity of life, a biological paradox, an abomination, an absurdity, an exaggeration of disastrous nature. Life had overshot its target, blowing itself apart. A species had been armed too heavily – by spirit made almighty without, but equally a menace to its own well-being. Its weapon was like a sword without hilt or plate, a two-edged blade cleaving everything; but he who is to wield it must grasp the blade and turn the one edge toward himself.

"Despite his new eyes, man was still rooted in matter, his soul spun into it and subordinated to its blind laws. And yet he could see matter as a stranger, compare himself to all phenomena, see through and locate his vital processes. He comes to nature as an unbidden guest, in vain extending his arms to beg conciliation with his maker: Nature answers no more, it performed a miracle with man, but later did not know him. He has lost his right of residence in the universe, has eaten from the Tree of Knowledge and been expelled from Paradise. He is mighty in the near world, but curses his might as purchased with his harmony of soul, his innocence, his inner peace in life’s embrace."

Eating the apple and gaining the knowledge representing man parting ways with nature and entering into the consciousness shitshow.

>> No.20592193

>>20591900
Well other than the things I pointed out there are the unnoticed takeaways from the story itself; Humans after all 'did' eat the fruit and so have become "like gods" - i.e. this is why we can tell right from wrong, but the god was against us having this faculty (despite allegedly making us with the brain), and that 'knowing right from wrong' is what makes a god a god, I suppose. And the humans already being mortal because of not eating from the immortality tree, that sounds like a tacked-on bit to answer for the first obvious question of "well if we're like gods then why aren't we immortal".

>goofy
it is fucking goofy. I think it's a story from Ancient Egypt, personally. It's only way the thing makes any real sense if the character of god isn't really a god at all and is just pretending, and the snake somehow helps the humans figure it out.

But anyway the idea that 'original sin' comes from humans desiring to be good is true and demented; a terrible setup for humans to consider the world from ... or that humans only became mortal 'after' leaving the garden, etc., this is shown to be false by the immortality tree. These aren't "my interpretations", this is just the story as it is, and it's surprising how few people who call themselves christians, jews or muslims actually bother to read the story 'as it is'.

>>20592048
>Whatever happened? A breach in the very unity of life, a biological paradox, an abomination, an absurdity, an exaggeration of disastrous nature
or just a work of fiction lol

I mean, obviously it's not a true report on any actual creator god or maker of humans - considering also how the whole concept original sin; this "curse", is supposed to come from this story as well it's... I mean.. you'd expect Adam and Eve to have actually done something bad and not simply desired to know how to be good people.

As a story it's cute and funny, but when you consider this being the basis for religious wars and lifetimes of misery under the delusion of 'sin' - i.e "humans are born evil, irredeemably evil because of this" - then ... s m h

>> No.20592212

>>20592048
>parting ways with nature and entering into the consciousness shitshow.
ah, but the earlier point still stands; if they didn't know right from wrong before 'the fall' then they could have been doing evil things constantly and wouldn't have known about it, nor would they have been able to know what doing good things was either. That can't be described to be an idealistic or good position; where brutal torture is morally ambiguous as to whether the tortured person likes it or feels intense agony from it - a person who wouldn't be able to tell the difference would be an insane barbarian, you know?

i.e. before knowing right from wrong a person cannot possibly be actually 'good'.

>> No.20592222

This thread really looks like a highschool classroom trying to argue Christianity and aging. Are you all teenagers?

>> No.20592232

>>20592048
>>20591900
and then again "right from wrong" could easily describe the nature of religious idealism itself; to do evil whilst believing one is doing good, this seems very apt as to what a big thing could be that would or could be described as "original sin".

It's certainly a puzzle. Good thing I don't believe any of it. :D

>> No.20592237

>>20592222
ha yeah this is pretty off topic ...

when the fuck will we got a /phil/ board???

>> No.20592243

>>20592014
And your little ad hom certainly contributes a lot. I’m not shitting on anyone’s faith, I’m just incapable of sharing it.

>> No.20592294

>>20589623
>Seeing intelligent people express this attitude baffles me, especially if they're successful and ambitious; don't they realize that without aging, they would probably live hundreds of years (until some accident or other illness did them in), in which they would be healthy, full of youth and vitality, and be able to accomplish so much more?
Cling to life like a starved little mutt all you want, the fact is you're going to be lucky to live to 100.

>> No.20592313

>>20592222
>if you're not a depressed self-hating tranny desperately clinging to temporal youth forever, then you are... le christian!

>> No.20592336

>>20592243
Listen, if I can tell that you're melinated by your diction and grammar, then so can others. This is an anonymous website. You're not anonymous if you talk like an ignorant, inner city youth. If you feel like you don't fit in with your peers in that catergory, fine, you may even be right, but then why would you bring all of their worst mannerisms here with you? Why do you feel the subconcious need to distinguish yourself in that way, particularly in a negative one? You're not going to get any extra points here, nobody cares unless you insist on bringing it up all of the time. You're just a person here, not a black person. You can put it away and accept being another faceless anon, you can go back to being the smartest animal at the zoo where the condescending white women all clap at your relatively impressive mental prowess, or you can keep makibg a foolof yourself needlessly here and seethe and cope when you get called on it. Those are your choices.

>> No.20592342

>>20592193
>But anyway the idea that 'original sin' comes from humans desiring to be good is true and demented
They LITERALLY disobeyed God, subversive Gnostic tard.

>> No.20592477

>>20589755
>most intelligent people are Democrats
>Democrats
>intelligent people

Excuse me while I laugh

>> No.20592492

>>20592342
Not them but if you've ever read the Bible they clearly didn't yet have a choice in the matter.

>> No.20592545

>>20589629
Aging is not one thing, it's multiple diseases, degenerations and damage you accumulate over lifetime.
Theoretically, if you can fix that damage like you you can fix and repair and change parts for a car then you could go for longer.
It's just that it's very complex and people for some reason are more obsessed with other shit. Perhaps they are afraid to even touch this subject.

>> No.20593690

>>20592336
You’re adorable my friend. I’m so white I glow in the dark, but by all means enjoy your delusions. Stupid nigger.
Captcha: tard8

>> No.20593704

>>20593690
>I'm white
Post elbow. Even if it were true, that's worse. You would have no excuse whatsoever.

>> No.20593776

>>20589623
>>20589641
>they would be completely healthy during those hundreds of years.
my grandma started getting dementia in her 80's, but lived to be over 100.
she forgot where she left things, like clothes and dishware and accused grandpa of stealing.
she hid cash in random spots around the house, and couldn't pay bills.
she couldn't recognize some of her own kids
she had night terrors, screaming anytime she slept or even took a quick nap.
all of this is BEFORE her health started to fail (kidneys, dialysis)
then the next few years was the above + moving onto a diet of protein/sugar formula from a tube.
then being bedridden and shitting herself.
finally her mind went. for the final 10 years, no more conversations or talking.
the shouting was replaced by moaning. we have no idea if she still had night terrors during that time.

fuck no, i don't want to live forever.

>> No.20593779

>>20589623
never liked this guy. always thought he was a hack

>> No.20593810

>>20590173
>How much more offspring could someone have if they didn't age?
women hit menopause in their early-mid 40's, but fertility already starts dropping beginning in the early 30's.

>> No.20593825

>>20590300
cuz life was easy as a kid.

no responsibilities
prime vidya
frens

life was good back then.

>> No.20593834
File: 139 KB, 1080x1010, 1655167928131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20593776
>we have no idea if she still had night terrors during that time

>> No.20594104

>>20593779
I suppose you've achieved great things then?

>> No.20594532

>>20589629
fpbp

>> No.20594582

>>20589629
>>20594532
>am I to believe that if luxury X existed, people would abstain and reject it???
you ever hear of jihad?

>> No.20594921

>>20592342
OHNO THEY DISOBEYED **GOD**! OH MY GOODNESS! Yeah you know when you're told as a christian about he whole lake fire and reason of jesus supposedly killing himself to fix orginal sin, etc., you'd expect the premise OF original sin to be something bad.

I know this is a religion of incels, lol, but if god is a parent and the humans are the kids then the parent, if he was good, would not have reacted this way to a child who was only "desiring to know right from wrong".

>disobeyed god
what's he going to do though? Curse me to die eventually? curse me to walk on two legs? lol

as i said, they were already mortal; "let them eat not from the tree of immortality" so where exactly was any punishment, or any sin, or that matter..

much baseless. pleas explain. i will join your church today if you convince me.

>> No.20594934

>>20592342
>(you) Gnostic(!)
naw, wrong. try again

>>20593825
i guess but.. sounds like it's not being young that these people want but ... free money? lol

>> No.20594938

> a religion of incels
thats not really fair. i mean that: incels typically concern themselves with the religion as a rulebook. that's what i mean.

>> No.20595230

>>20593776
I find that the trick to avoiding this is intelligent rational conversation. I imagine if I was surrounded by fucking morons 24/7 who spoke to me in baby-speak that I'd give up as well. I odn't mean you personally but it's rare that I find youngish people who don't adopt a 'baby speak' manner when they're around elderly people, as the person isn't even in the room, when they were having high IQ conversation before the youngish person walked in.

I work with elderly people so this is something I've observed. I'm not sure whether it is just them giving up and lowering themselves down to the level of the idiot, or trying to be polite and avoid offending the idiot, 'but' I'd imagine having no contact with other people aside from the idiot would begin to have a deleterious effect on the mind; second guessing ones own self, etc., being treated like an idiot by an idiot and eventually coming to consider ones self as an idiot.

I've noticed the same thing with stupid parents and their children; the parents brains are like busted-broken and they can't understand what's being said to them, and they blame the kid.

>> No.20595237

>>20592222
enlighten us with the truth, o' holy far-seer

>> No.20595255

>>20589630
>Only Jews and satanists want to live forever to avoid eternal damnation.
Pretty sure religious Jews believe they're pleasing their/your (lol u worship jewish god) God, and that (literalistic) Satanists would want to be in Hell. right?

imagine if you were on your way to hell because you weren't a fuckign jew, an you looked up and saw a bunch of smug baby-killing israelis pointing and laughing at you from heaven. that'd be funny.

>> No.20595308

>>20594582
What!!?

>> No.20595345
File: 217 KB, 2048x1018, tumblr_e5494e33bbb85f49e4edbc664d878905_3ea678dc_2048.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This post is so stupid. You could also ask why x people are so bluepilled on not being able to time travel or teleport. These things are, at least currently, impossible for human beings. The best way to cope with things that are not in our reach because of our humanity is to accept them and not make a big deal about them. It would be stupid to preocupy yourself with possibilities that are literally not part of the human condition.

>I don't mind having to travel to Asia by plane
>uhh, bbut don't you rrealise that if you could teleport you could be there in an instant?!??!
>I don't mind having to use oxygen tanks if I would like to dive
>uhhhh why are you sso bluepilled on diving?! Don't you realise that if you wwould be able tto transfform yourselff into a ffish yyou couldd dive forever wwithout tanks>!!

>> No.20595509

>>20594104
I'm not even concerned with that. Just day to day life is more important

>> No.20595948

>>20591107
Good post

>> No.20596245

>>20589623
>Why don't intelligent people think like me
I think you know the answer there, champ.

>> No.20596258

>>20589834
big "funko pop collector" energy coming from this post

>> No.20596434 [DELETED] 

>>20595345
>This post is so stupid. You could also ask why x people are so bluepilled on not being able to time travel or teleport. These things are, at least currently, impossible for human beings. The best way to cope with things that are not in our reach because of our humanity is to accept them and not make a big deal about them. It would be stupid to preocupy yourself with possibilities that are literally not part of the human condition.
>>20596258
The problem is, we already potential therapies for the hallmarks of aging.
For example, senolytics, which selectively clear senescent cells.
Also epigenetic reprogramming.
If humanity really strove towards this, it's likely we'd have a cure without 2-3 decades.

>> No.20596440

>>20595345
>This post is so stupid. You could also ask why x people are so bluepilled on not being able to time travel or teleport. These things are, at least currently, impossible for human beings. The best way to cope with things that are not in our reach because of our humanity is to accept them and not make a big deal about them. It would be stupid to preocupy yourself with possibilities that are literally not part of the human condition.
The problem is, unlike those other things, we already have potential therapies in the works for the hallmarks of aging.
For example, senolytics, which selectively clear senescent cells, and epigenetic reprogramming.
If humanity really strove towards this, it's likely we'd have a cure in 2-3 decades.

>> No.20596495

>>20596258
Retarded nigger beast energy coming from this post.

>> No.20597392 [DELETED] 

that last lecture series was pretty sad where he's ranting about how exercising is some shallow bullshit capitalists or ronald reagan or somebody bad tricked everyone into doing and he is too smart to waste his time on the stairmaster meanwhile becoming morbidly obese and shorty thereafter expiring. weird how he didn't have any conspiracy theories about who tricked him into downing tubs of fried chicken...

>> No.20597554

>>20589834
Because we have a cure, it’s called death

>> No.20597625

>>20597554
https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/4peAGkA4dd5HNjWmi/physicalism-implies-experience-never-dies-so-what-am-i-going

https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/iyfZC33ZmTSo4Xghs/suffering-focused-ethics-in-the-infinite-universe-how-can-we

I'm afraid even materialists are realizing its not that simple.

>> No.20599268

yes

>> No.20599354

>>20591107
>In my experience, medicine and science is not nearly as powerful as you might think, nor is man nearly as much the master of his reality as he believes himself to be.
This just sounds like you don't understand what you're talking about. It's not a matter of "if it's powerful enough" but "when". Age-related diseases will be cured, prevented, or treatable in the future, period, full stop. There's precedent for reversing aging in animals already, it's quite literally just a question of when. You in your own post list the reasons why your family would have benefitted from this better medical technology: quality of life in old age. These things like dementia or breaking bones are not a given if we're talking about a reality where we've surpassed death. It's natural decay but there's no reason we need to actually live with it, that mindset is a product of being required to resolve the harm we cannot control. This is arguably the most important fight we will have as a species technologically because it's the most pervasive disorder: the natural disorder of the body that accumulates and eventually causes death. Imagine replacing a disease like syphilis in the place of death in this argument, just because we don't currently have the ability to treat it does not mean that we should not strive for betterment in the future. For the majority of human history people just got it and suffered.

>> No.20599554

>>20599354
cool , now show me the flying cars since the year 2000

>> No.20599816

>>20591646

>Embracing death then is the higher, sentient path.

:)

>> No.20599834
File: 121 KB, 1950x1450, the_good_professor.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20599354

>it's quite literally just a question of when

Not really. Could ofc go full Frankenstein with replacement organs but that would still not fix neurodegeneration. Issue is intrinsic genomic instability due to our evolutionary path (which involved a lot of retrotransposon integration ... gods, so much retrotransposon integration!!). The uploaders are actually less delusional in comparison and that tells you something!!

>> No.20601056

just because we know we're going to die doesn't mean we can't pretend to be immortals. if we did this we wouldn't fear threat from our neighbours. you take this wager or face the fact that the weak scum float to the surface

>> No.20601124

>>20599354
This.
I'm perfectly OK with death, I just want enough time to accomplish what I want to, while still being young and healthy enough do so it, and to enjoy it.