[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 377 KB, 795x439, brain-activity.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20577536 No.20577536 [Reply] [Original]

The "brain activity" edition

Previous thread: >>20567174

For General Writing
>The Rhetoric of Fiction, Booth
>Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft, Burroway
>Steering the Craft, Le Guin
>The Anatomy of Story, Truby
>How Fiction Works, Wood

YouTube Playlists for Writing
>https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTCv6n1whoI23GmdBZienRW0Q0nFCU_ay Robert Butler
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6HOdHEeosc

Technical Aspects of Writing
>Garner's Modern English Usage, Garner
>What Editors Do: The Art, Craft, and Business of Book Editing, Ginna
>Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style, Tufte

Books Analyzing Literature
>Poetics, Aristotle
>Hero With a Thousand Faces, Campbell
>The Art Of Dramatic Writing: Its Basis in the Creative Interpretation of Human Motives, Egri
>The Weekend Novelist, Ray

Note to anyone posting a sample of your writing for critique:
>IF YOU HAVE NOT PERFORMED A CURSORY PROOFREAD, DO NOT EXPECT TO BE TREATED KINDLY. EDIT YOUR WORK FOR SPELLING AND GRAMMAR BEFORE POSTING.

Traditional Publishing
Pros:
>you get to focus mostly on writing
>you must write a proposal to the publishers and sell your story to them
>you make 10-15% profit max, but they also eat all the risk and the costs
>self publishing is basically like running your own company
>you only need to do some simple marketing and reach out to readers
Cons:
>you make 10-15% profit max
>self publishing you make 70%+
>they’ll still require you to do all the leg work of a self published author anyways

Self Publishing Options
>https://archiveofourown.org/
>https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/
>https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/writinglife
>https://www.royalroad.com/
>https://www.scribblehub.com/
>https://www.wattpad.com/

Self Publishing How-To
>risky, but much more profitable
>you must pay for everything yourself
>if you do, you will spend more time on running a business than writing, but can be worth it
>https://selfpublishingwithdale.com/

Poetry
>This Craft of Verse, Borges
>The Poetry Home Repair Manual, Kooser
>Western Wind: An Introduction to Poetry, Mason

Anime Writing (^・o・^)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4on26mKakgs
>https://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Anime-Story

For advertising
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQygKqJVFXg

AI-generated book covers
>https://nightcafe.studio
>https://huggingface.co/spaces/dalle-mini/dalle-mini
>https://app.wombo.art/

/wg/ Authors and Flash Fiction Pastebin
>https://pastebin.com/ruwQj7xQ

Other forums
>https://reddit.com/r/writing
>https://writing.stackexchange.com/

>> No.20577539
File: 22 KB, 467x682, calvin-coolidge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
-Calvin Coolidge

>> No.20577543

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MTDr2HHL-gdg834ffPrzwzPEcFZSSFOc?usp=sharing

>> No.20577572

>>20577543
Can't view in private, double check your share settings muh dude

>> No.20577586

>>20577572
Fixed

>> No.20577741
File: 8 KB, 400x300, FVXntpGUUAAsLm2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Plan for tonight: 4k words written, some of which is a new Vella episode
Asked my one friend I can trust to read the 4 episodes out so far and give me a review since I haven't gotten one yet
I get the feeling no one looks at a Vella until it has like 10-20 episodes
>>20577539
Thanks Mr.Coolidge
Needed to hear that today

>> No.20577747

>anon mentions Daniel Greene
>Dude write a book
>Read first chapter
>Nothing special
>Has some grammatical issues
>Rated 4-5 stars after 900 reviews
????? So it's okay to write poorly?

>> No.20577757

>>20577747
It is when you are an eceleb

>> No.20577782

For those publishing e-books I'd recommend draft2digital. They do a lot of the leg work for publishing on sites you've never heard of across the globe. It's worth for the random royalties it pulls in for me that I wouldn't be getting otherwise.

>> No.20577790

I'm tired of feeling unproductive when I have both commissions and my personal projects to work on. What can I listen to or take to get me in the mood to write like a machine?

>> No.20577808

>>20577790
I typically listen to a certain song or album that puts me in the mood for whatever piece I'm writing. Find that music muse.

>> No.20577809

>>20577790
Don't feel yourself into working, work yourself into feeling. Even if you aren't going to use the writing, write anything and eventually you loosen up and can start writing what you want, it will come to you. That is how I beat writer's block, I sit down no matter how empty I feel and then write what's on my mind even if it's about feeling stuck and eventually it takes me to questions I can answer. That's all writer's block is anyways, a lack of impetus to answer your own questions about what you must write. So write and it will come to you.

>> No.20577833
File: 164 KB, 1280x720, Cattle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20577536
I'm writing a book about The Lockdowns and have included a scene where the protagonist enters a supermarket, encountering people fighting over and hoarding sanitation products and toilet paper (pic related). I have an idea where when he exits back into the parking lot he sees a group of rats eating a slice of pizza. Should I have the rats fight over the pizza as a way of comparing the shoppers to rats or should I have them share it, illustrating how vermin have more dignity than the common man?

>> No.20577837

>>20577833
No one will want to read about Covid shit

>> No.20577840

>>20577833
What do you think actual rats would do?

>> No.20577856
File: 803 KB, 640x532, B3961715-C259-4819-8EEA-623A4A0DE178.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

From the last thread.
Daniel Greene earns 25k a month, roughly.
>>20575537

>> No.20577857

>>20577536
>writing general
>it's just links to read
bruh

>> No.20577869

>>20577833
You could do that. I vowed to myself I wouldnt ever mention the covid or the shots or masks in my writing. It's such an embarassment that makes me cringe to even see on a page. I did do a short story about a furlough but give little context behind it. I'm more interested in the social consequences of how people see eachother since then. I don't know if it's really changed culture as much as it reinforced it but I will still write where I think people feel they are going.

>> No.20577881

>>20577782
So kdp select isn't worth it?
I use d2d to format the book as a draft but never published one there
>>20577809
Solid advice right here.
>>20577833
Would make more sense if they share it as normal rats would do
Having them fight over it would be too in your face imo

>> No.20577910

>"brain" "activity"
Heh, yeah. Sure thing.

>> No.20577917

>>20577881
I've never used KDP select. I've heard mixed things about it and I do publish on amazon, but I'm not in the unlimited program. Maybe try a mixture of both if you have multiple titles until you find what works for you. I advertise mostly through Facebook and those users aren't motivated enough to actually sign up for Kindle Unlimited. They want a paperback or an ebook right away without extra steps.

>> No.20578009

>>20577917
I'm still working on getting a few titles under my belt but I was under the impression most people just bought ebooks on Kindle store outright anyway
Can I ask what kind of money you're pulling from d2d and with how many titles?

>> No.20578020 [DELETED] 
File: 35 KB, 314x500, 8100B6AB-74BC-4C7D-B84D-06AC91AE191D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is this the best book ever written?

>> No.20578022

Do what extent am I allowed to quote other texts that aren't in the public domain? If I quote the text from someone else's book or a research article and attach the author's name, the year it was released, and the name of the work, will I still get sued for stealing from them? Considering the fact that my work is commercial, and I'm essentially taking a piece of their work.

Or is it considered "fair use"? Like how e-celeb youtubers take bits and pieces of each others content and make money off it

>> No.20578037

>>20578009
You can have your book on the kindle store and still use d2d for all other platforms too. I have five titles out and maybe pull $20 a month from the weird sites I haven't heard of and that's without advertising for those platforms. It's not a huge gain, but I think it's worth the extra little bit of money. It all adds up to me. A good month for me is $300 across paperbacks and kindle sales. My highest amount made in a month through Amazon was $750.

>> No.20578043

I am completely convinced that nobody agrees on what good prose is, and all prose feedback should be ignored in favor of your own artistic taste.

Also, r8
>Something hit him in the back.
>He stumbled and lurched his weight. His muscles spasmed. Pain burned. Breath broke. Warmth flowed. Iron from his gut. Feathers in the back. Shaft through him. He grunted. Legs lost feeling. He fell, shoulder to stone. Impact tore it deeper. Istvan approached.
>With two feet and a hand, like a three-legged beast and just as lame, he crawled down an alley. Trail of blood behind him. The alley split, flowed around buildings. He chose darkness each time. Sweating and gasping, he made Istvan work to find him. It was nothing more than tracking a wounded deer, but he still had his sword clutched in a bloody hand. The arrow had gone through his right side. Might have struck his liver.

>> No.20578052

>>20578043
I get Robert E. Howard vibes in a good way.

>> No.20578072

>>20578043
Good prose or obnoxious hmmmm

>> No.20578083

There is SO much content out there these days.
People have no way to determine what's worth their time.
So I think we need to adopt a completely different method of attracting attention to our work.
https://youtu.be/2BT7_owW2sU?t=18

>> No.20578090

>>20578083
Reviews are supposed to be the indicator of what's worth your time. Would be nice if that was working better for me on royalroad though.

Still, don't try Uncle Ted's strategy.

>> No.20578113

>>20578043
I like it. I also agree 100% with your opening statement. People will either get it or they won't, it's up to the author if they decide to cater or stay weird.

>> No.20578175 [DELETED] 

>>20578020
Yes

>> No.20578324

Hmm today I will write about the very real emotions a young man feels about wanting to fuck the ladies and get married

>> No.20578331

Is it bad that even though I have a good idea, the first draft's execution feels poor as shit? There are times when I stop writing and think to myself,

"I know A needs to happen for B to happen, but was going from A to B like this in a straight line REALLY the best way to go about this???"

I end up stopping and rewriting in the middle of my first draft

>> No.20578360

>>20578331
For the life of me I can't figure out why people write in a linear plot sense like that.

If I as a writer know my character needs to hit plot points A, B, C, and D over the course of a novel, then I'm already bored. Characters change continually through the course of a story and make unexpected decisions, courageous, or weak ones.

An example of this kind of storytelling is Harry Potter. JK Rowling decided Harry's journey more or less from the beginning, had him go through key plot points, and that's why he 'grows' but he doesn't change much in an interesting way throughout the series. He's very reactive or passive depending on what the plot demands.

The alternative are writers like GRRM or Stephan King who let their characters go in batshit insane directions against the plot, which is more of a rough guideline that can be put on hold. That's why they write huge books. Ends up with unsatisfying endings however.

There's a middle ground of having character agency and unpredictability and having a rough guideline (note: its about finding fresh ways to test your character, not have them do XYZ because that's the plot that's been decided).

All of this is a difficult balance of course.

>> No.20578445

>>20578331
I try to catch problems like that at outline time.

>> No.20578457

>>20578360
I agree. Like for example, it sounds really stupid when I say it loud, but it didn't sound off when I was outlining. "So character A needs to get this legendary weapon to start the story, so...you're going to just...give it to him?"

Maybe I should start outlining by just having vague plotpoints I need to hit and leaving up how to get their to the writing process

>> No.20578602

>>20578457
>"So character A needs to get this legendary weapon to start the story, so...you're going to just...give it to him?"
That's not as bad as you think. The beginning of the book is where readers are most willing to accept coincidence in service of the plot, and the inciting incident is the point where the protagonist should be most affected by forces outside of his control. After that is where you need to stick to events that are put into motion by choices they actively make.

>> No.20578673

>>20578602
It depends I think. The traditional hero's journey starts with being presented with the quest and the initial rejection of the quest. If getting the legendary weapon kicks off the storyline, then it can't just go from A (see legendary weapon) to B(obtain legendary weapon) there must be an initial rejection of the weapon (This is a dangerous weapon, I refuse to kill, etc) before being backed into the corner and being forced to accept the weapon

>> No.20578681

>>20578457
Thing about your story less about plot (still you can have a goal/end point vaguely in mind) but think about it in terms of CAUSE AND EFFECT.

It's not A, B, C, D points in the plot reached.

It's:
>Character makes a choice
>choice consequences in the near-term play out
>Character spends time doing something
>consequences of things done and not done in the near term play out
>something sudden and unexpected happens to the character
>the near term consequences of this play out

The difference to conventional plotting here is that there are shifts in tone in your story. Like different musical notes.

Nobody wants to listen to a song that is just someone pressing the left-most key gradually going to the right-most key. Changing it up creates the exciting melody.

>> No.20578688
File: 98 KB, 750x641, 8C6D6B6C-C432-40E7-B059-1F90AD68B78F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20578709

>>20578673
That's true if you're deliberately following the hero's journey formula, but I don't believe it's necessary for story structure in general. One great example would be any Mike Hammer story. They start out with a killing, seemingly random but involving someone he cares about and dragging him into the investigation. There's no reluctance or rejection, but the exact opposite. He immediately is personally invested in a criminal plot, and readers become just as invested in the book's plot.

>> No.20578796

>>20578709
It's because his character has established that he spends the majority of his time solving cases. It's his routine. Police procedural stories (and similar) showcase a block of time, the career of the detective. Most books are plotted the same because of this. It's like Harry Potter where Harry goes to school 6 years in a row with it all being the same shit.

Inside of that routine the writer than has room to be inventive and shake things up.

>> No.20578825

>>20577543
>>20577586
I have a lot of thoughts but I'm sorry anon, I'm too drunk to formulate my thoughts well. I'm a weak man hung up on an gin strings.

Main concern is I think you are shifting tense a bunch. Not as big but also too much stuttering, dialogue on sensation before description (gun to back), something in the POV feels off but not sure what.

>> No.20578961

>>20578796
I don't think that's relevant to the point being made. What matters is that audiences can and will be invested in a story where the protagonist, by random circumstances which they are thrust into and wholeheartedly accept, enters the plot without any initial denial. Your only need as a writer is to convey a personal stake that readers will recognize as appropriate motivation.

>> No.20579075
File: 626 KB, 1200x960, CdyApple-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's the fantasy equivalent of candy apple red?

>> No.20579105

>>20578360
>There's a middle ground of having character agency and unpredictability and having a rough guideline (note: its about finding fresh ways to test your character, not have them do XYZ because that's the plot that's been decided).

Can you elaborate on this more? And do you do this rough planning during the "outlining"/prewriting stage before your first draft? Or are you literally jumping into your first draft with your characters and kind just writing with a vague ending in mind?

I ask because I'm working on a fantasy book series right now that I'm planning out, so I think I need a little bit of planning and structure because I have a lot of characters and I don't want to end up in a GRRM situation (like how he's having so much trouble finishing his series). And also I noticed that maybe because of his lack of planning the pacing of ASOIAF is kinda inconsistent and it seems like there's a lot of filler and repetitive stuff especially after book 3, which I feel like could've been avoided with more planning. But I think I'm like you in that when I start plotting too much and going off a preexisting structure, trying to hit plot points and hero's journey steps, etc. it completely destroys my creativity and desire to write.

So I feel like the process you've found for yourself would really help me.

>> No.20579107

>>20579075
honey pickled peaches.

>> No.20579173

>>20579107
Okay, I didn't know those existed, and that's awesome, and now I want them, but I actually meant the color. Like how would someone in a vaguely medieval world describe that bright, glossy red.

Right now I've settled on "poppy red," but I don't like it because I'm afraid people will read it as "bright, energetic red" and not "the color of red found on the flower of the poppy," because I don't think people think much about poppies much anymore.

I overthink things.

>> No.20579223

Day 13 editing
Sentences were unfucked
Yet a glaring plot hole was uncovered
>How does one learn to talk like an female african american prostitute?

>> No.20579242

>>20579173
>poppy red
Doesn't capture the high gloss which would be something very peculiar in your context
>how would someone in a vaguely medieval world describe that bright, glossy red.
Mirrors were made from polished metals, especially mercury alloys. The early glass mirrors followed were convex and colored. Colors were often named for the dyes and minerals etc. they came from. Cinnabar might be a good choice, all things considered, it was made from a mercury compound, been around forever, and it's beautiful but literally deadly. The word Crimson is more recognized, evocative and the dye was also known in the medieval world. Just spitballing, execution is left as an exercise.

>> No.20579264

>>20577833
>Should I have the rats fight over the pizza as a way of comparing the shoppers to rats or should I have them share it, illustrating how vermin have more dignity than the common man?
Former, because I actually seen Rats fight over food,and brother it can get ugly.

>> No.20579299

>>20578825
It's cool. I'd like further feedback if you ever figure more out about it. Thanks.

>> No.20579326

>>20579173
oh I misread.
glistening red. implies wetness

>> No.20579337
File: 88 KB, 800x574, cinnabar33451b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20579242
>Doesn't capture the high gloss which would be something very peculiar in your context
Well, it's someone's eye color. I really want to avoid conveying a dark or blood red, and in my mind their candy apple red. But I think any red is going to look glossy when it's someone's iris.

>Cinnabar
That might send people to their dictionaries, but damn, that is spot on. How did I go my whole life not knowing this stuff exists? Wild.

>> No.20579339
File: 18 KB, 713x161, shid.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wrote a short story over the course of the last week and its 18000 words and when I look back and re-read after minor editing I realize it is all shit. 99% shit. what do I do other than keep writing something new.

>> No.20579401

>>20579339
there is nothing else to do expect toil

>> No.20579423

>>20579339
Rejoice, for the next thing you write will only be 98% shit.

>> No.20579429

So I'm a couple of chapters in to my first long story (having only written a handful of short stories before this). It's obviously not very good, but I'm writing it more as an exercise. Would it still be a good idea to post the chapters on royal road or something? Do people there normally give decent feedback? Or is that a waste until I'm a bit better?

>> No.20579488

>>20579105
There's a huge amount of info I could share but it would require me writing an ebook. I'll try and give the very brief take on what I do.

Build CONTEXT. This is where most beginner writers utterly fail. They miscontrue knowing everything about their setting with context.

Context is knowing enough about what is needed for you to write your story. Let's say you've done the groundwork of thinking about your story's setting. You know the basic rules of the world, but as always there's more to learn.

How do you build context? Ask these three questions (never back to back).

1. How is my character spending their time?
2. Something unexpected/surprising happens, what is it?
3. My character has a choice to make that has lasting consequences, what is it?

Ask these three questions over and over and over and you'll build up a context of ANSWERS.

You'll not get writer's block anymore because writer's block is writers trying to invent context and writing prose at the same time. It's too much. You're just separating the process into context and execution.

For instance:

1. TIME: A man is driving to work.
2. EXCITEMENT: A cat falls from the sky and lands on his car.
3. CHOICE: Seeing the cat is injured he can either take it to a vet or abandon it on the side of the road.
- Outcome: He chooses to take the cat to the vet.

These three questions and answers have built a single story unit of context. You could write a 2000 word chapter now about a guy who goes to work in his car and saves a cat that fell on his car.

You can build context up to a whole arc of your story (like Frodo leaving the shire and going to Rivendell). You write the arc, then plan the context for the next one. Hope this helps I tried to make it brief.

>> No.20579516

>>20579488
That's one way to do it, I use scene-sequel format. That one asks different questions depending on the type of scene you do and your choice comes down to plot pacing.

>> No.20579525

>>20579516
My method asks the core questions. I fear the scene-sequel format (though I don't know how it works just guessing) asks hero's journey type questions that are leading and sort of guide the writer down a generic plot road. Want to share some information about it?

>> No.20579637

>>20579525
So scenes can be either Scene or Sequel:
Scene is a slightly faster pace and this is where actions are center stage.
>Conflict then Disaster
Sequel is slightly slower pace where characters and the reader can react to previous disasters, and have an unclear decision they must make
>Reaction, Dilemma, Decision
With each disaster and decision that takes place something is changing in the story. It doesn't matter as much whether conflicts or dilemmas are successfully dealt with (although if your characters fail or succeed too many times in a row it gets frustrating for the reader) as much as the story transforms when disasters and decisions occur. These can be as subtle as you want and really depend on the audience. Genre fiction has a tendency to go "bigger bomb" with each new conflict but in literary fiction it could just be a matter of revealing the conflict that was there all along, though eventually you may want some fallout. It could be something simple like "my wife won't look at me" and then "I failed to get her to look at me and she doesn't use mascara anymore either" or "I succeeded and my wife looks and smiles at me but she still won't bring me breakfast and a cigarette to my bed." You could also have conflicts with ideas, places and events, not just characters. It all depends on what you want to focus on and a novel can quickly become complex as you should look at all four and some of them will complement a conflict.

>> No.20579712
File: 89 KB, 500x626, dar0xrn-077d39c7-7f9d-422e-80b9-eeaa2bcc8856.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is it bad If I have a "thing" I do with my writing

Like say goats being common in my writing I just love goats

Is that ok? Or should I freshen up my work and not have a "trademark" in my stories?

(Like stephen king setting all his stories in manie)

>> No.20579764

>>20579637
Sounds interesting. I do think it is more of a forward thinking way of dealing with building the narrative. But yeah I like it.

>> No.20579769

>>20579712
I have lots of things like this. There are some ideas that almost have to be in my story somewhere otherwise I just can't get interested in doing it.

For some reason I'm fascinated by transformations. People transforming in weird, interesting, absurd ways. The difference between a person's thoughts and some strange new abnormal new appearance just appeals to me. (Not in the tranny sense).

Having 'things' in your writing is perfectly fine just so long as its always new and a bit different than last time.

>> No.20579782
File: 313 KB, 778x1100, lit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17lyhWQgkKEI5SO9g4D6gtJSXAxjpsyHsZTdB9VZQkrQ/edit?usp=sharing

>> No.20579817
File: 308 KB, 1125x584, 1655348777215.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20578688
wtf is this?

>> No.20579829
File: 139 KB, 1098x1652, 4ba6e90cb1d9afeb769fe7471529c462.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What to do when your writing lacks finesse?

>> No.20579896

>>20579829
Read more of the masters. Study wordsmith finesse. Then emulate it imbued with your own style.

>> No.20580015
File: 9 KB, 284x178, Michael Crichton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how was he able to explain science without it feeling tedious?

>> No.20580074

>>20579829
Like anon says, read. You can look at rhetoric or study how we perceive language in all various ways if you want to know the details but it's best to read a story you though was worded in a voice that grabbed you. Pick out passages that you really like. They don't have to blow you away from a story perspective thought that's important too. Consider some of these things when you look
>word length, sentence length, paragraph length, comparing whether sentences are getting more simple or complex as you read on
>vocabulary and word connotation especially in terms of words that took on new meaning for you when you read the story
>phonetics of sentences, look at syllable stress and if there's a pattern giving off a subtle effect to either reinforce a point or oppose it, cacophony, euphony etc
You form your own taste about what you think is effective and techniques you would use. There's a good number of things I've seen that I know others like but I won't use because they just make me cringe. Everybody has a different voice and no one can fully imitate another.

>> No.20580088

>>20580074
>here's a good number of things I've seen that I know others like but I won't use because they just make me cringe.
Give an example of this. Would also be interested in one of these subjective techniques you feel is effective.

>> No.20580207

>>20577539
Thanks Calvin, no idea who you are but I'll keep on keeping on.

>> No.20580216

>>20580207
https://www.google.com/search?q=calvin+coolidge

>> No.20580219
File: 747 KB, 617x477, 1640884342802.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20580088
So to give Faulkner as an example, unlike him I don't like to mess with the spelling that much in dialogue to affect how the reader pronounces a word. I understand why he does it to carry on the oral tradition but as for me I don't personally like to do it. I would rather stick to a certain voice and mess with the diction more instead.
One thing he does that I really enjoy is how he ends sentences with a comma and then a gerund. It has this lingering effect where you have the mental picture with some persistent action. He uses this to such great effect for a vivid experience. In the Sound and the Fury he does this with the word "bellowing" a lot that it became this agonizing vocalization of suffering through the story.

>> No.20580250

>>20580219
>unlike him I don't like to mess with the spelling that much in dialogue to affect how the reader pronounces a word.
Is this an extension of your hatred for the way China anon does dialogue throughout his chicken story?

>> No.20580287

https://bpa.st/Y4SQ

>> No.20580290

>>20579829
take a book you like and analyze a chapter
what is creating the tension
what are the stakes for the character
study the dialogue
study how the author moves a character in a scene
study how the author organizes his prose in paragraphs
study why you like the main character
see if there's a climax at the end of the chapter
etc

>> No.20580296
File: 521 KB, 853x1000, selflove.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20579829
I want to also add that reading the masters will teach you by example how to write the mundane in an interesting way. We all hit those slow points in our narrative writing. Those sections where you're just trying to establish a time gap. Or a transition. Or some banal action that progresses whatever, like a chore, or sequence of directions a character takes. You can learn how to write these sections with "finesse" as you put it.

>> No.20580332

Another old story of mine, its about man being sexually tortured by woman in sex education class
https://bpa.st/NJ2A

>> No.20580341

hello i want to learn how to make english writing beautiful sp who here is the teacher, please you help me learn.

>> No.20580358

If every story has been told what’s the point of deluding yourself into thinking you’ve anything new or interesting to write?

>> No.20580415
File: 315 KB, 220x174, 1632146644224.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20580250
I haven't read that one yet but I do like Wgon's writing, it has soul. I will say that if I mess with spelling at all I change a word into another and sometimes try to wave a flag subtly to help the reader understand it was intentional and not a mistake. I have an ESL character say "fill your hand" like "fall your hand." The character she talks to looks puzzled for a moment when she says this but he eventually gets used to her crazy grammar that he just runs with it. While changing most of the words to match the sounds can be neat I like to change words like that to give another meaning to statements. In the case of the ESL character, she ruins the man she talks to and I tend to do Adam and Eve allusions to just about every relationship in a story so "fall" seemed appropriate.

>> No.20580417

>>20580358
Because every story has not been told, nor will every story ever be told. I'd tell you to write but you demoralization cucks only exist to farm (You)s.

>> No.20580434

>>20580358
that's been true since 1800
the author takes an unoriginal idea and makes it appear original
brando sando wrote the mistborn books. the book received accolades for its original magic system
but magneto was using that magic system since 1963

>> No.20580443

>>20580358
People will knowingly read or watch stories of the same title again if it's by another author or director because the voice is different and has a contemporary spin on it. Steinbeck's East of Eden is worth it. Joyce's Ulysses is worth it. You can't go on thinking there's nothing left to say especially since many anons on this board are still quite frustrated looking for more authors that voice perspectives on what they see in their lives that writers seem to ignore. There are lots of things to write about and things for new readers to discover because a hallmark of humanity is that we have a short memory and we have to tell our stories again just about every century.

>> No.20580473

>>20580434
Magneto doesn't use the Mistborn magic system.

>> No.20580474
File: 60 KB, 300x300, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20579242
>execution is left as an exercise

>> No.20580498

>>20580473
Yes he does. He uses copper and tin the exact same way the allomancers do. I've never read X-Men or Mistborn but I'm pretty confident in this.

>> No.20580509
File: 125 KB, 725x526, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>fiverr girl
>does short creative fiction for you
>is reasonably successful
>picrel is the product
>4.9 stars, 190 positive reviews, even more clients, some returning customers

is this really the stardard these days for fantasycucks? how easy would it be to dominate this market with even slightly better written pieces? im thinking maybe people actually prefer it to be a little bit juvenile, as if a child wrote it, and i imagine that decent writers wouldnt do nearly as well

>> No.20580516
File: 273 KB, 631x918, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20580509
i mean its kinda based really, zero effort and people still give her money for it.

>> No.20580607
File: 54 KB, 601x415, 419FE45A-7B16-44A2-AF77-9051A2030D9B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20579782
Post more.

>> No.20580629

>>20580498
so, you're saying that if i tweak something a bit it's completely new and original?

if i write a story about a boy forced to live under the stairs by his shitty aunt and uncle until one day a giant appears to take him to ninja school

that's original?

>> No.20580632
File: 13 KB, 188x268, bronson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All my writing is about yearning. It keeps coming up. Should I embrace my true calling as a romance writer, or should I stomp out this shit?

>> No.20580636
File: 397 KB, 1785x3863, Aska.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Threw this opener together and could use some feedback. It's probably shit for a first draft but w/e

>> No.20580643

>>20580629
Not only is it original, it's a delightful pastiche, a clever allusion.

>> No.20580677

>>20580509
At least she's not making it by screwing a pooh named Koko and uploading it to porn sites I guess.

>> No.20580681

>>20580643
everyone will know it's unoriginal
now, say we have a boy slave. one night in the slave quarters, a thief barges in and hides in the shadows. guards enter and question our slave boy. the boy says he saw nothing, saving our thief. the boy talks the thief into freeing him. the thief takes the boy to thief school where part of the training, besides lock picking and hiding is magic.
that seems original even though it's "harry potter".

>> No.20580686

>>20580677
Pooch*

>> No.20580690

>>20580681
Is it? Loveable rogue is a popular trope.

>> No.20580698

>>20580509
How do you get Fiverr customers? When you start out you're just invisible.

>> No.20580708

>>20580698
Follow-for-follow twitter scams

>> No.20580751

>>20580708
Obsessed.

>> No.20580752

>>20580509
Quality doesn't always equate to sales.

>> No.20580758

>>20580690
my point is the "harry potter" story is better hidden. it's not immediately evident
you can replace the thief with an assassin or warlock, or whatever. come up with something you like.
"name of the wind" uses the "harry potter" plot, but ruthfuss makes a lot of small changes to hide the fact.

>> No.20580951

>>20580516
>>20580509
It's better than some of the stuff written here

>> No.20580956

>>20580751
In my country we have a saying, the dog älähts on which the calig kalahts.

>> No.20580975

>>20580629
It's potentially original...you need to change it enough to disguise its origins, or do it so well that it's compared favorably to its inspirations.
>>20580632
OMG, write romance! You'll be rolling in dough!
I WISH I could write romance...
>>20580956
Can you translate that for us?

>> No.20580990
File: 33 KB, 657x527, proud pepe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20580975
It means that the dog that älähts is the one which is hit by the calig (i.e. the calig kalahts on the dog).

>> No.20580993

Someone give me a writing prompt

>> No.20581005

>>20580993
Person goes on a simple errand. He is continuously distracted by encounters with random people, resulting in this simple errand taking him the whole day.

>> No.20581010

>>20580993
A struggling author pays a public-place shooter to carry his manifesto-like novel in his backpack during the rampage, in a desperate attempt to drum up publicity for his writing.

>> No.20581043

>>20581010
This is really interesting. How did the writer find him?

>> No.20581048

>>20581043
the same place the federal agents grooming the shooter did. discord.

>> No.20581049
File: 788 KB, 564x800, mecha.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My personal opinion is that what sets apart a good Fantasy magic system vs a great Fantasy magic system is that in a Great fantasy there is a moral/philosophical question that is presented and the magic system, at least in part, helps answer the question by showing it.

In Full Metal Daemon Muramasa (you probably haven't heard of it so I put up a pic), the question posed is "Is there ever a good reason to kill someone?" and the magic system works like this:

If you use Muramasa to kill someone for any reason, you will be forced to kill someone else for the opposite reason. If you kill someone you hate, you must kill someone you love. If you kill someone who you believe is evil, you must kill someone you believe is innocent.

This goes back to the question "Is there ever a good reason to kill someone?" The magic system basically says that, whatever your reason for killing someone is, is made obsolete by killing someone else for the exact opposite reason. This is to show that, no, there is never a good reason to kill someone. You may disagree but that is how the story chooses to answer that question.

Take Full Metal Alchemist for example. The 2003 anime asks the question, "What is the value of a human life? And what determines it's worth?" The magic system, Alchemy and the Law of Equivalent Exchange shows the answer to this when the Elric Brother's try to use Alchemy (a science) to play God and create life. The results are disastrous and takes everything from them because the answer God gives them in return is, "There is nothing of material value equal to the value of a human life". The ending further expands on the question of "How is the worth of a life determined?" when [Spoilers] Edward comes to the answer that "The worth of a life is the sum of the memories that person has made" and Edward attempts to bring his brother's life back by sacrificing his brother's memories in life.

>> No.20581055

>>20581049
Do you guys know of any other examples of magic systems that answer the moral question posed?

>> No.20581066

>>20581043
Perhaps the potential shooter tries to mug the author late at night, as the author was walking through the neighborhood.
The author, being a clever sort, engages the mugger in conversation to find the roots of his anger.
The author then tells the mugger his anger is completely justified, and offers to fund his rampage, in exchange for publicity.

>> No.20581084

>>20581049
What if I'm just a psycho and use it to murder people indiscriminately? Or what if I just use it to maim and torture people?

>> No.20581089

>>20581005
Cheers for this one.

>> No.20581090

>>20581048
>>20581066
Nah. The shooter is already a fan and writes him a long letter. On paper. Think 70 pages, a sort of rambling fan-letter/manifesto. The author tracks him down and instead of talking him out of anything, helps him rewrite his manifesto and asks him to keep the book in his bag, even signing it to emphasize how important the book is to the shooter.
Later on the police start wondering when the book was signed, since the killer's family was interviewed and he hadn't left his hometown at any point after the book was published, nor had the writer done any signings anywhere near there.
The plot thickens.

>> No.20581111

>>20581090
I assumed the author was too unknown to have fans.
I also assumed the mugger was too stupid to read.
Having said that, your direction could work too.
Except that, in our surveillance panopticon, the government would have a copy of that fan letter.

>> No.20581117

>>20581111
The government doesn't have the resources to check everyone's mail.
t. former mailman

>> No.20581128

>>20580951
/wg/ doesnt write though, so of course its better. thats not much of an achievement

>> No.20581134

>>20581117
The U.S. Postal Service has been photographing the exterior of every piece of paper mail for the past 20 years.
The Internet Covert Operations Program (iCOP) is headed up by the Postal Service’s law enforcement division.

>> No.20581141

>>20581134
Shit they've read all my suicide notes.

>> No.20581247

>>20579488
>>20579637
thank you for this. definitely helps a lot

>> No.20581301
File: 27 KB, 603x213, dghhjhh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20577536
Why do you keep writing the chosen people as greedy goblins, goy?

>> No.20581333

>>20581301
In my fiction trannies are usually the bad guys to some degree. There's always one in there somewhere being evil. Because they are motivated to spite God, etc.

>> No.20581408

I can't fucking do it, i've tried. I've summarised, I've Outlined. I just can't Coerce myself into doing it. Is there no other way, should i just skip the rope? Neck myself? Cure the world of a miscreant.

I'd never make it attempting to write original or authentic works. So why can't I persuade my soul to be a sellout.

litrpg and Erotica are the only things that hold a candle of chance of making money in webfiction, yet i find it unbearable to even try to write this drivel.

>> No.20581438
File: 333 KB, 1200x1947, zootopia jews.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20581301
Because it's true and they're extremely effective villains because, despite normies being propagandized to hell, all mankind holds a deeply ingrained hatred for the Jew

>> No.20581466

>>20581408
Then mix both erotica and LitRPG, and become the foremost LitRPG erotica Isekai writer

>> No.20581477

>>20581055
Orse Scott Card, of "Ender's Game" had a magic system where you could cast a spell, but if you did, someone you loved died.

>> No.20581484

>>20581408
you don't have to write. you can read

>> No.20581502

>>20581477
What if you didn't love anyone.

>> No.20581547

>>20581502
It could explain why wizards/witches are near universally recluses with, at most, some friends

>> No.20581553

>>20581333
based; saw a thread where BAP calls troons gnostics. Idk how true that is really (gnostics hate reality, they see it as an evil fake created by the demiurge) and troons hate reality, so I guess it fits

>> No.20581626

>>20581141
you should stop sending those to the IRS every year with your 1040.

>> No.20581628

>>20581301
Shaming people for shitty behavior is how we produce conformity and assimilate them. It's a very powerful motivator for most people and groups. Doesn't work so well on extremely low IQ or sociopathic populations populations but we still try.

>> No.20581641

>>20581301
my next book is going to have vampires that control society with usury and rat people that literally worship yahweh and spread their religion by turning people into rats. the rats will initially be presented as poor refugees.

>> No.20581671

>>20581301
Aren't they sometimes portrayed as basically orcs but weaker?

>> No.20581847

>>20581553
Gnostics are about transcending reality through enlightenment and self-realization. Troons just alter the material body without ascending their minds beyond the material and thus, are still bound to reality.

>> No.20581873
File: 1.47 MB, 1222x4777, rabbithole lore gnosticism 5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20581553
Troomers can be considered "gnostic" in the sense that they easily fit into gnostic classifications: They are Hylics in the truest sense, purely materialistic.

>> No.20581944

>>20579105
When you find yourself with filler and repetitive stuff, the answer is to cut that shit out. It's perfectly normal in the writing phase to be repetitive and have pointless filler, but it has to be removed when you are editing.

>> No.20581954

>>20579339
What makes you think that only minor editing is going to turn a first draft into a final draft?

If you're not willing to do the work of writing (which is editing countless drafts), then find another hobby.

>> No.20581979

>>20580636
Start with the Udis lying impaled on his throne. Delete everything that comes before that.

>> No.20582038

>>20580636
I agree with this >>20581979 wholeheartedly. There's nothing actionable or even very useful to the reader before this point. I'd also change the opening line to:
>Udis, the God of War and Progress, lay impaled on his throne by his own sword.

>> No.20582123

>>20581954
shut up fag. I'm telling you that the base is shit, editing will turn it into polished shit. you dont know that because you've never gotten good at a skill in your life. I am already proficient at drawing, I understand how skill development works. dumbfuck. retard. idiot. swine.

>> No.20582172

>>20582123
Seems like you already have the next step worked out, big boy

>> No.20582286
File: 75 KB, 547x434, kellhus gorilla nigger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20582123
okay there brain champion settle down and get back in the abortion bucket

>> No.20582308

sent the second draft of my novel to the person I trust most to read and give me feedback but they're just not getting around to reading it
I feel like sending it to too many people would be redundant if they're going to give the same feedback, but also I feel like the time I'm waiting for them to get back to me is time wasted

>> No.20582334

>>20577833
>should I have them share it,
K I N O but try not to make the comparison too on-the-nose.

>> No.20582662

Emily anon never did publish his book ad.

>> No.20582711

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/54100/wish-mountain-adventure-drama-fantasy-tragedy

One more chapter left until what I consider to be the first major arc completed in the story.

I plan to do review swaps, just started a new job so don't have lots of free time at the moment.

Thoughts on:
>synopsis
>poster

And if you take the time to read it
>story

>> No.20582752

Does anyone else sometimes write fanfic for their own books?
There is a protagonist that I have feelings for and I think he's amazing so I made a fan character self insert to pair with him
I would never actually include her in the story and thus character kinda has chemistry with someone else anyway (and I like them together too although I won't make any pairings canon)
It's just for fun

>> No.20582763

Is it okay if I think about possibly considering posting my work here?

>> No.20582776

>>20582711
You should consider not writing like a retarded high schooler, first.

>> No.20582780

>>20582763
Cpme back when you're definitely thinking about considering posting

>> No.20582829

>>20582662
I'm not home yet.

>> No.20582850

>>20578043
>He stumbled and lurched his weight
Where? In what direction?
>His muscles spasmed
Which? There are many muscles.
What is the image being created here?

>Pain burned. Breath broke. Warmth flowed. Iron from his gut. Feathers in the back. Shaft through him. He grunted. Legs lost feeling.
This is pretentious

>He chose darkness each time.
Each time...? He came to a split in the alley?

>he made Istvan work to find him
How?

I think it has a good aura, but a lot of things aren't well thought out. Check out "Techniques of the Selling Writer" by Dwight Swain for some tips on clarity in prose, especially the first couple chapters.

>> No.20582953

>>20577536
I’ve never hated women until last week, I applied for a writing grant for brown people, and all the successful recipients were all white women with mixed blood. None of the projects were literary and some were outright just arts and crafts. I am so extremely angry with women and their performative pontificating about social issues whereas a brown male writer is left to fuck off here and complain about it on 4chan

I hate you all and I hate everything

>> No.20582963
File: 118 KB, 786x275, seething-pseud-MY-THREAD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20582763

>> No.20583083

I'm gonna review all the notes I've taken on books I've read the past 6 months. I believe I picked up a lot of things first pass but skimming through the margins there are a good number of concepts to develop. Moby-Dick had a surprising number of hard-hitting aphorisms, I should have read it years ago.

>> No.20583123

>>20582953
Should've just lied and claimed to be a tranny or something

>> No.20583153

>>20582953
What makes you so sure your work was better than theirs? We have a lot of delusional writers here.

>> No.20583216

>>20579829
I actively strive to write without finesse. I want the simple and punchy style of the pulps.

>> No.20583277

>>20582850
>>He stumbled and lurched his weight
>Where? In what direction?
I bet you're the kind of writer that has to specify which hand does an action when it doesn't matter. In the context of the scene we can deduce it's likely forward.
>>His muscles spasmed
>Which? There are many muscles.
>What is the image being created here?
Does he need to list every muscle that spasms?
>>Pain burned. Breath broke. Warmth flowed. Iron from his gut. Feathers in the back. Shaft through him. He grunted. Legs lost feeling.
>This is pretentious
No it isn't.
Just because you can't think abstractly doesn't mean the prose is bad. >>20578043
I think the one line that catches me up is >With two feet and a hand, like a three-legged beast and just as lame, he crawled down an alley.
It paints an image but doesn't flow. I'd probably cut "with two feet and a hand" since that's the most obvious part. We know he's clutching his sword and you don't state he's missing any feet, so it becomes redundant.

>> No.20583291

>>20582308
You don't know for sure what feedback they're going to give. The more eyes the better. Send it. I once had a beta reader take 6 months to read a draft. If I didn't send it to other people in the meantime I'd go nuts.

>> No.20583299
File: 594 KB, 1778x1942, ad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20582829
This is what I did, the auto ad generator on Amazon isn't showing up though

>> No.20583324

>>20577809
Really thanks. You don't know how much this advice means to me.

>> No.20583348

>>20583153
My work may not be better but at least it was prose. One of the winners is literally group therapy and it was a writing grant. They also lied to me about my application which sent off alarm bells in my brain, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was an honest mistake, like the stupid stupid stupid brown man I am. Then I saw the recepients AND THEYRE ALL WHITE WOMEN WHO WON A GRANT FOR BROWN WRITERS I can’t even what they fuck reality oh wait this is what happens to brown dudes and we just gotta suck it up while you all shitpost about my face on /pol/ blah I hate you all

I literally never hated le wumen until now holy fuck PERFORMATIVE POSTURING IS FOR THE WOMAN BRAIN

>> No.20583351

I'm so fucking good it's actually unreal holy shit what a scene I'm too just too good

>> No.20583368
File: 404 KB, 1280x853, Tumblr_l_540363531060740.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Working my part time job in a call center and it's dead as hell
I've got 6k words to catch up on and I will not fail bros
>>20583351
It isn't enough to be good we have to be disciplined too

>> No.20583387

>>20583299
Hey, 8 whole clicks. But you have to figure of those 6500 impressions, 96% of them were filtered by an adblock software.

>> No.20583407

Oh boy, I just did a silly.
I stumbled across a magazine who had a deadline that was expiring in 40 minutes, with a theme of "Bittersweet". So I decided to look around and scrounged up so old poetry I had written when I was in college. I basically took old stuff I'd written over half a decade ago and submitted it.

>> No.20583579

Self-published author convicted of killing husband:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61786575

>> No.20583655

>>20581134
This is nothing but schizophrenic delusions
t. not a postal worker at all

>> No.20583876
File: 2 KB, 87x87, 1607847688336.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I find beta readers that aren't complete faggots?
Is there any beta4beta going on in here?
A few years ago when I published my first book I paid a few beta readers from the goodreads forum but it was a pain in the ass and demoralizing af to dig through users posting their services that included "sensitivity reading"
Fuck off with that gay shit.

>> No.20584018

In Writing Fiction by Burroway she mentions doing away with 'filtering'. Here is an example (emphasis is Burroway's):

>Mrs. Blair made her way to the chair by the window and sank gratefully into it. *She looked out the window* and there, across the street, *she saw* the ivory BMW parked in front of the fire plug once more. *It seemed to her*, though, that something was wrong with it. *She noticed that* it was listing slightly toward the back and side, *and then saw* that the back rim was resting almost on the asphalt.
Becomes
>Mrs. Blair made her way to the chair by the window and sank gratefully into it. Across the street the ivory BMW was parked in front of the fire plug again. Something was wrong with it, though. It was listing toward the back and side, the back rim resting almost on the asphalt.

This is something that I do all the time and I'll be working on doing it less as it does seem to create a more engaging description. My question is, are there any exceptions? Places where it's better to filter?

>> No.20584185

>>20584018
Sometimes "She saw x across the street" gets the point across much faster than descriptions and instantly switches the reader to the new scene.

>> No.20584294

Day 14 editing
Two weeks of rereading my own drivel
Fuck you all.
I am gonna make it.

>> No.20584332 [DELETED] 
File: 10 KB, 443x206, 1608757390614.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A snippet with some fetishes bleeding through
https://pastebin.com/ZEht8Vnk

>> No.20584359

>>20584332
is this a joke?

>> No.20584366

>>20584359
No, why?

>> No.20584677

>>20584018
>Places where it's better to filter?
Anytime you want to highlight locations/POV sensory filters or highlight the act of observing. From your example I would have kept in "she looked out the window" or "outside the window" because it gives context why in the POV of someone indoors we see something outside. Same would go with sound through a wall or maybe seeing a glimpse of someone between crowded bodies on a subway.

For highlighting the observer it would be for more reflective lines like "I watched my wife cook, slow and steady like the way she caressed my ding dong at one time."

I feel like I end up keeping like 1/4th of the filtering I catch myself use though. Just do it intentionally.

>> No.20584695

>>20583277
Fair point on the cut. Thanks

>> No.20584715

>>20583876
Anon the trick is to get sensitivoty writers to see how to be more based. Theyre very sensitive to it

>> No.20584873

>>20584294
Let’s be real, if you were going to make it, editing wouldn’t take 14+ days.

>> No.20584906

>>20584873
???? Editing is by far the slowest part of writing. If you have a completed manuscript in a rough draft state no shit you'll need a long time to properly iron it ot.

>> No.20584914

how do you base your entire story, is it around plot arcs or do you limit yourself by chapter?

>> No.20584923

>>20583876
>Trigger warning on books
When and why did this become a thing?

>> No.20584928

>>20584906
ngmi

That anon meant your book should take you significantly longer than two weeks to edit.

>> No.20584929
File: 92 KB, 900x679, 1636807026063.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20584906
Facts. First draft plays out differently for writers. Some like myself riff off a skeleton outline and passion and end up with a mess that is carefully molded into shape with all the technique and themes in later. Hopefully with more experience my style can come out more the first draft but for now my voice is nearly incoherent on first pass.
I know one scifi author that does very slow first drafts and then subtle edits for a couple days to fit his lore notes and then he's done. All just depends on how you approach it.

>> No.20584938

>>20584914
If you don't have an entire story, complete with your final themes and character arcs, before you start writing, then you've already failed.

>> No.20584958

>>20584914
I wrote a tragedy so there are 5 parts, and the mood shifts in between the chapters where these parts are without me indicating them explicitly. There's also 2 distinct arcs of time with a few years between each, and that jump in time also goes from anticipation and dreaming into the darker parts of tragedy: frustration, nightmare, and destruction.

>> No.20584983

How long does it take for you to write an outline of your story?

>> No.20584993

Am I the only one who doesn't hate my first drafts?
I write outlines first and I already know what is going to happen with giving the characters some room to surprise me
Hardly ever do I have to revise a huge chunk of the writing between drafts
You guys make it sound like you write a first draft and then all but do away with it
>>20584983
Some stories have been in my head for years so it might take a few days to really write the order of events
A brand new story maybe a little longer but I don't outline until I know the ending or have an idea of how it will end

>> No.20585062

>>20584983
Most of my outlining comes from idle thoughts while I'm at work, commuting, or in the shower. I jot them down in a pocket notebook and on weekends transfer them into a main outline, organizing in a way that makes sense. If the ideas are specific scenes I write them on note cards so they can be rearranged as needed. I usually have two or three stories stewing at a time and begin writing once the outline is sufficiently fleshed out and hasn't had anything added in a few weeks. I'd say on average it's about two months of active progress before hitting that point.

>> No.20585077

>>20584993
i do an extensive outline down to scene level
when i edit, i do things like removing a character or swapping chapter 10 with chapter 22
it requires a lot of rewriting
i think that the more experience you get, the less of these big revisions you'll have to do

>> No.20585096

Does anyone know how long Amazon pays you for royalties? The first time is 90 days then afterwards 60 days correct?

>> No.20585109

>>20584993
I don't hate the first drafts, but my prose can be sloppy so I try to put the ideas in better places later. My conception of the story, characters and themes are usually concrete before I start but I try to stay flexible because I tend to find more ideas once I start to write it. I had my first novel characters in my head for over a year before I tried to write it, one of the side characters changed significantly to fit one the arcs I was excited to alter.

>> No.20585125

brando sando outline for "skyward"
including two failed outlines

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/writing-advice/

(it's at the bottom)

>> No.20585164
File: 280 KB, 565x476, do_it_or_else.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20584873
>>20584928
>>20584938
He is going to make it. And so are you.

>> No.20585165

>>20585125
Double spacing after period.
>Rrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee

>> No.20585201

>>20585164
I spend twice as long editing my book as I spend writing it, and my next book is launching on august 1st.

So, yes, I am going to make it.

>> No.20585227

>>20584929
You're not a writer you're just a narcissist.

>> No.20585230
File: 24 KB, 476x357, 1625908997844.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't forget to read as well. A short story a day is what I say.

>> No.20585234

>>20585227
I don't follow.

>> No.20585297

>>20584906
>virgin discovery writer with years worth if plotholes to fix
Vs
>chad outliner with barey a few days worth of edits to fix

>> No.20585318

>>20577833
Have them share the slice, so you can portray humanity at it’s basest form, having less dignity than rats. Don’t make it unnatural, like five adult rats sharing one slice, maybe an adult rat sharing it with two or three of their babies.

>> No.20585417

>>20585297
I outline every scene and still half my project is editing. Waffling over sentences just bothers me I'd rather type up the story as I envision it from the outline and then either cut down or add to as needed.

>> No.20585424

how we doing english bro's? how is your writing education coming along? i have exam period in india soon so i need to become an writing legend in short period of time, i pray to milena velba.

>> No.20585443

The room is white, with year old paint. you can see that by the black marks near the window - where the man brushed his belt against the wall. There are two windows, one of them lacking a shade. The shade fell six months ago, and to dissuade the other shade from flapping in the wind, it is tied with a long strip of masking tape.

The desk is cluttered, and the items spill over to the small bedstand near it, which is fairly new and so has organized drawers. The wardrobe is open - always is. Work clothes are kept seperately, on a small platform where the shoes are, and the bed is large, the largest item in the room, and covered with cyan. One cabinet is next to the room, holding knicknacks and clothes which are inbetween dirty and clean.

Beyond that, there are a few paintings tied on the wall: one close up of a classical, one Pat Steir, one modern, unidentifiable piece, and a picture of Kasparov losing to Deep Blue hanging besides an old amber piece showcasing life in victorian london. The only ordered thing is the cork wax, hanging beside the desk, with markably few notes.

How old is the man?

>> No.20585453

>>20585443
>window shades
huh? what is that?

>> No.20585470

>>20585453
shades are rollers that hide the sun's light.

>> No.20585485

>>20585443
Middle-aged bachelor

>> No.20585521

>>20585485
oh shucks, he's 23

>> No.20585590

>>20577747
meanwhile i have a mental breakdown over minor grammar points being permissible or too provencial.
anons if i mix british and american spelling will the editor laugh at me? i decide on a word by word basis and don't adhere 100% to either one.

>> No.20585624

>>20585590
i would pick either american or british usage and stick with it

>> No.20585629
File: 195 KB, 1280x720, B7D6F8C1-ED2D-4AD0-9B10-41E10654B910.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20585590
>>20577747
Lol, you guys will NEVER be as successful as Daniel Greene, a bi-sexual depressed tattooed skinny bitch with little to no ability to write, all because he has a youtube channel and you don’t.

>> No.20585641

>>20585629
How could this happen to meeee~

>> No.20585647

>>20585590
case by case basis is fine. I always spell it theatre due to the roots from the latin and greek. I always spell it grey because I don't like faggots.

>> No.20585678

>>20585629
>judges a person's worth by his worldly success

I'm sorry you had to be born a midwit

>> No.20585685

>>20585590
So, Canadian spelling.

>> No.20585701

>>20585678
Sorry, who are you?
Nevermind, no one will care.

>> No.20585718

I'm proud of my shit poetry. Am I a bad person because of this?

It isn't well thought out, it just expresses the mundane nature of suffering.

>> No.20585778
File: 231 KB, 1280x720, 0251F707-5D5A-44A5-A2F4-F45E2318B071.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Oh what’s that, you decided to release your 20th book today?
>Haha, I’m sure somebody will notice someday champ.
>releases 3rd book to 450,000 subscribers and increases monthly income by 10k.

>> No.20585819

>>20585778
How do I start a YouTube channel guys?

>> No.20585831

>>20585778
He's so pretty.

>> No.20585841

>>20585819
If you have to ask…ngmi

>> No.20585850

>>20585841
How did he get so many followers? Is it because he's good looking and white?

>> No.20585884

>>20585778
>>20585629
He's attractive and has a good voice, and a strong work ethic. All things anons here likely lack.

>> No.20585890

>>20585850
If a book has a large following, he praises it and puts it on top of the tier list. "Lord of the Rings", "Disc World," "Wheel of Time."
That way the communities follow him.

>> No.20585901

6200 words for that short story. Finally, I started this shit like a month ago. Now to find a publisher for it.
>>20585850
He goes where the people are and does what people want to see. >>20585890 is right. If your aim is to sell to an audience, knowing what they want is critical and the rest is content production.

>> No.20585903

>>20585884
Can we start an anon one?

>> No.20585931
File: 36 KB, 406x720, 0905BEFF-7EA0-4EE0-821F-B7D9164AF2CE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20585884
You’re delusional. He’s just been doing this for years. He actually has a terrible work ethic and just planned way ahead of you.
Maybe you guys should be…. Building an audience before you release your first book?

>> No.20585961

>>20585903
Unreal Press already does this with interviews and reviews. There's a number of anons they haven't looked at, I'm not quite sure what their criteria is of what is considered "from 4chan" but that certainly limits the audience. They have done some reviews for other stuff though.

>> No.20585975

>>20582953
>>20583348
Here we see the nigger in its natural habitat, begging for what we now know to be called 'gibsmedats'

>> No.20586017
File: 12 KB, 360x360, MikeToreno-GTASA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>email from your reader
>says your romance story is the best romance they've ever seen
>praises chemistry between characters, development, realistic beautiful romance, it makes them want to cuddle and kiss their spouse
>TFW you've never had a girlfriend, never been in a relationship

>> No.20586025

how is o henry so good?
He writes the same story 90 times and each time im hooked

>> No.20586041

>>20586017
>things that never happened
How would a reader even get your email

>> No.20586105

>>20586025
He's got good humor and used a lot of different techniques to make stories amusing. He had great metaphors.

>> No.20586125

Just submitted my first short story lads

>> No.20586134

>>20586125
Noice one lad. How long is it, and where/what did you submit it to?

>> No.20586142

Anyone got any feedback?
Blurb and Chapter 1 together

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rv2tBd8mQDzwtrS2dViarWR_c3JxoxL0QsjncbI2qLE/edit

>> No.20586213

>>20586134
About 10 pages and to a magazine I saw on Submittable that has a good following and was closing their contest today. I did have to pay a submission fee, but that's the way it is and I can accept that. If it doesn't make it through, I'll tidy it up and shop it around some more. See if I can't find a home for it.

>> No.20586217

>>20586213
Noice. Good luck m8

>> No.20586300

>>20585975
When money supposedly is supposedly for brown writers, not black you nigger faggot, and is actually given to white women, so they can feel better about my race, with their performative posturing hermione granger complex, I will hate you all, and condemn you all for your white sin to burn in your white people hell for eternity

go on keep making me feel bad about my skin it’s okay I read how to kill a mockingbird I know what white women do

>> No.20586317

White women are the real enemy

>> No.20586327

>>20586300
Listen bud, it's not your fault you were born brown. Likewise, it's not our fault that brown people are shitty and dumb. And it's neither of our faults that SJW shit has become the modus operandi of corporations that should have failed a long time ago. But that's the system we all have to work in and so it's going to get exploited. Deal with it.

>> No.20586385

>>20586327
I am dealing with it by literally posting here hence this (You)

Your white mothers and your white sisters are the worst racists of all and they will feel the burn of Satan’s cock in eternity

>> No.20586390
File: 48 KB, 640x640, FM31n3-VgAI9m6X.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20586300
seething and brown and mogged by white women

>> No.20586446

>>20586390
Yes I am and your very normal chan insults vindicate my brown victim complex which is probably why I’m telling you about it

go on tell me more about how brown writers should worship the hairy fat cowed feet of white women tell me more

if a writer is meant to be lonely, and struggling in adversity, with a stories to tell. persevering through a world that literally hates you for the sake of truth in art. I am the authentic writer and after my death all you fuck heads and white women hermione granger cunts will revere my work and place me on a pedestal to absolve your white shame and white man’s burden just like Poe and lovecraft before me

but only after I die

See you then white people

>> No.20586447
File: 44 KB, 934x203, 1643737461241.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20586317
Bro you're forgetting your manifesto pictures.

>> No.20586464

>>20586446
Post hand.

>> No.20586496

Jesus christ I can't write anything longer than two paragraphs, my attention span is fucked.

>> No.20586511
File: 75 KB, 1200x675, nun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What was that term anon brought up last week that means belief that the Holy See is presently illegitimate? It's not "anti-papalism" it started with an "S" and I can't for the life of me find the word again because I forgot write it down.

>> No.20586518

>>20586511
Sedevacantism.

>> No.20586520

>>20586518
thanks that was fast

>> No.20586539

>>20586385
I don't have any sisters and my mother is an objectively horrible cunt. My wife didn't do nuffin though so leave her out of it or I'll dig your eyeballs out with a thumbtack.

>> No.20586555

>>20586539
If your wife is white then she benefits from my skin colour’s victim complex and she will suck and swallow the hot acid cum from Satan’s cock from her death until the end of existence. The dark lord of sin will tear her eyes from her metaphysical sockets to fuck each eyehole with his shit littered fingers

it’s your hell and your white sin my people didn’t make it

>> No.20586557

>>20586300
White people hell isn't actually that bad. Very smokey, but at least it's not menthols.

>> No.20586567

>>20586557
in white people hell Satan has sadomasochist orgies where he’ll fuck your asshole with your father’s cock until your ethereal soul is bloodied and loose and filled with the semen of sin

>> No.20586568
File: 96 KB, 315x423, 1626780740096.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20586557
>freezing smoke
now that is irony

>> No.20586574

>>20586555
Hey they're your eyeballs man.

>> No.20586588

>>20586574
no, my brown eyes will have lived a life of witnessing white people benefit from my brown victim complex and i will find absolution after my death up to and including immortality achieved through my literary work and my brown victim complex. but I have to die first, until then, I bare witness to the white people of the world being openly evil toward me

go on tell me more about being a brown man. I’m sure you have all sorts of negatory and derogatory insults hence my brown victim complex

>> No.20586596

>>20586588
I'd love to but I have to see a man about some eyeballs.

>> No.20586599

>>20586596
I hope it’s a white man so you can see the face of mediocrity

>> No.20586600

>>20586599
Only if you're LARPing.

>> No.20586626

How many books is good to plan for a fantasy series?

>however many the story requires
I don't know what that means

>> No.20586632

>>20586600
the last recourse of the white man is the purity test. which is a threshold required for the brown victim complex, and not you, the evil descendants of rapists and murderers. I’ve never been misanthropic until now. I believed in the inherent good of all mankind. No longer. The white person actually IS fucked up. They do weird shit and say weird shit and literally profit off my brown victim complex. dox yourself, you say, do the stupid thing so we the whites the fucked up will validate you.

Fuck (You).

your white women destroy race relations more than your simple chan insults ever could. you should congratulate them in hell

Atticus finch is a mirage

>> No.20586637

>>20586632
You could've just said yes.

>> No.20586679

>>20586637
negging for pics worked in 2005 on b but it’s obvious the white person needs purity tests to even have a functioning world view and apply this to the internet. you are allowed to have Anonymous above your name but I am not. ordinarily I wouldn’t care and almost agree but today I let myself feel every iota of the brown victim complex including this interaction and your negging for dox

if there are other brownies here then they too know this purity test when they speak from authenticity about their skin

white is the default on the internet and frankly I’m done with you fucks

>> No.20586687

>>20586679
Oh no that's a shame, we hate to see you go.

>> No.20586691

>>20586679
Can you stop shitting up the thread? The janitors are too sleepy to send you on vacation.

>> No.20586705

>>20586679
To be honest I don't disagree with you but could you please give me your thoughts on this before you go:

https://write.as/p2a54zm0e34gr.md

>> No.20586714

>>20586626
Plan one. If no one likes the first one, no one will read the sequels.

>> No.20586717

>>20586687
You actually would because you’re women are making money off me. wumen be shopping m I rite?!

>>20586691
The writing general is already a cesspool of schizophrenia and smash bros fan fiction. one time there was a 150ish reply chain about which font to use when literally every published manuscript was submitted in 12 pt courier until 2000ish when new times roman became contemporary because of word processors and idiots who can’t scroll a name table

>> No.20586723

>>20586626
>>20586714
This. Make sure it's self-contained but still has somewhere to go if you hope to make a series out of it. If nobody's reading you might want to focus your efforts elsewhere.

>> No.20586736

>>20586717
You are fucking retarded. Because you think something is shit, might as well shit it up more. Go figure you're a fucking nigger. You crab in the bucket mentality faggot. If it's already le bad, why try to make it better? God you are so right! Fuck you.

>> No.20586744

>>20586717
I thought you were leaving?

>> No.20586787
File: 2.10 MB, 320x320, 1415226852638.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20586446
didn't read alladat

>> No.20586802

>>20577536
Our language is misleading, because it is entirely made up of "high," "low," "future," "past." It is a three-dimensional language used to describe a world that has never been three-dimensional, any more than the sun "rises" anywhere. We are the ones who revel, who journey in our consciousness. And one day we will find ourselves naturally in the middle of a completely mapped-out Supermind, the way today we are in a well-ordered Mind... Indeed, it is the strangest experience to discover suddenly, stupidly, that our body knows better than we do and that it has a fantastic power, only veiled by our mental habits... At the end of the circle one finds the origin of things again.

>> No.20586855

>>20586736
The irony being but just saying “12 pt courier font” I’ve already contributed more to this thread than anyone else.

>> No.20586865

>>20586787
>didn’t read but gave me a (You)

thanks fren

>> No.20586940

>>20586385
>Your white mothers and your white sisters are the worst racists of all
I wish they were that based.
>satan
yahweh doesn't exist, nor does hell or satan
keep crying bitch nigger

>> No.20586984

>>20586940
I didn’t make up your hell and your Satan that’s all on you guise and that’s where you’ll go per your own rules

take it up with your ancestors the rapists and murderers and child fuckers they were

I have no problem accepting you as the basic evil you obviously accept being. It makes my brown victim complex purr with validation

>> No.20587215

>>20586626
>>20586714
I'll add you this that if the first one is good enough for continuations it'd probably be best to structure them into trilogies, even if only thematically.

>> No.20587233

>>20586984
Hey, you're still here! I was getting worried for a second, thought you might have self-harmed.

>> No.20587241

>>20586984
No one white is oppressing you.
No one white even acknowledges your existence.
Your problems are self-inflicted.
Anyway, take this to >>>/lit/wwoym/ . You're just seething now.

>> No.20587275

>>20587233
If I did self harm maybe I would’ve gotten the grant. And didn’t say I was leaving, I said I was done with white people. Unless you assume this thread only has the whites, you segregated fuck

>>20587241

White women literally are oppressing me and using my skin colour and existence to make money. They feel bad about my race, and how generally people hate the brown man, even (You), and they give each other money to make themselves feel better. 50,000 dollars was allocated for brown writers and only white women received it. The hermione granger retards they are. Maybe if they’re nice they’ll throw me a sock and set me free

>> No.20587288

>>20587275
>50,000 dollars was allocated for brown writers and only white women received it.
Let's be real, you were just going to buy drugs and rims anyway. Now it's going to help feed more white girls instead. That's called a win-win.

>> No.20587318

>>20587288
No in proposed in my budget the funds would be used for hiring editors, an agent if need be, and submitting the project manuscript. The grant was for native writers, and one of the recipients is literal group therapy to discuss trauma, for “writers”, and another is an actual arts and crafts table for children. Like actual lace and crayons and shit. That won for 10,000

White women are performative because of your insults and your insults are why they give each other money. Wow. Actual evil. But like I said I get angry and I’ll rationalize it in literature outside of chan and after I die this anger will become yet another token of brown victim complex for these white women to revere and worship and pretend they care about my race

Perhaps a writer’s career doesn’t start until they die. Most especially if they’re brown

>> No.20587377

>>20587318
>Perhaps a writer’s career doesn’t start until they die. Most especially if they’re brown
Don't be silly, you're never going to make it.

>> No.20587395

>>20587377
I could literally wipe the shit off my asshole with toilet paper, save it and frame it, commit suicide, and white women would literally cite my shit in some essay in some brown grant application

Insults aside, what I find the weirdest, is its ONLY women. Not a single man. Insult me all you like but wumen are clearly more insidious and exclusionary then you could possibly be on chan. At least I get a (You).

At least you’re honest and own your hatred toward me, the brown man. I’ve always preferred your internet company over others because I respect honesty whereas others just shadow ban and mute the righteous anger of the brown man. Thanks, writing general.

In return, a manuscript should be double spaced as to provide space for notes and sentence format implies final draft ie hard copy.

>> No.20587419
File: 108 KB, 660x660, 1644598390732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be cute white woman
>too schizo to use my photo as author pic and use something else instead
>never apply to grants or any of that shit
>just self publishing on Amazon and trying to get a grasp of running a business
>didn't even finish college years ago but that's okay because it didn't teach me anything about writing
>I'm somehow the bane of this dude's existence even though
All those words you typed about being a victim could've been like a while chapter

>> No.20587423
File: 35 KB, 589x494, crit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Attempting to capture Lovecraft's atmosphere but I feel like it's a little generic but could probably polish it up and make it more interesting

>> No.20587432

Giving up on writing is bittersweet. On the one hand, it's the only area of life where I felt competent. I dont have any other hobbies or skills. On the other, the pressure, stress, and ego-crushing insults were too much to handle. Sometimes giving up brings me to tears, but it's better than putting myself out there and getting humiliated again and again.

>> No.20587435

>>20587423
It's a lore dump.
Try to convey the same information with action, and it might be more interesting.

>> No.20587438

>>20587432
Are you suggesting there's an aspect of your life that ISN'T mostly crushing humiliation?
May as well keep writing, then.

>> No.20587449

>>20586385
>>20586300
Dangerous level of based
Even if white femoids steal whatever they can get their hands on, at least there are still grants available to you.

>> No.20587451

>>20587438
Writing is optional so I gave up to help protect what's left of my ego. Usually my being humiliated is a result of me fucking up, but I can at least take steps to reduce the chances.

>> No.20587454

>>20587432
F. Gardner?

>> No.20587460

>>20587395
Oh, come on, I don't hate you, Tonto!

>> No.20587464

>>20587454
We wish.
Experience shows he'd never have that level of self-awareness.

>> No.20587505
File: 122 KB, 614x588, pepe-whenwillitend.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm about 200 pages into "The Business Of Being A Writer" by Jane Friedman.
I wasn't expecting miracles, but sadly, it's confirmed my most cynical fears.
It openly admits that MFA programs are about writing "literary" fiction, while acknowledging that the commercial market for such work is nearly zero (with notable modern exceptions like Jonathan Franzen).
The other benefit of an MFA program is making "connections" that might help your career later, which doesn't apply to someone like me that's long out of college (STEM) and not about to go back.
It also admits that getting an agent to respond is largely a question of persistence (sometimes for years...dear God) and trying to tune your query letter to the agent.
The latter is the same BS I hear about my resume, and IMHO it leads to a ton of effort for someone that wasn't likely to respond to you in the first place, no matter what you did, so why bother.
It also acknowledges the only way to build up a personal set of contacts, people that might be willing to buy your work, is to have some sort of online presence, social media or otherwise, writing stuff that people want to read.
That's not really an answer...if I knew how to do that, I would have already.
The rest (so far) involves other types of paying work for writers. I don't need that; I already have a career that pays the bills. So, again, useless for me.
What am I learning here, other than the effective impossibility of the task, and how much sheer luck is involved? I'm the unluckiest person I know.

>> No.20587518

New thread >>20587513
for when the time comes...

>> No.20587519

>>20587505
Sounds like you should go self published then

>> No.20587525
File: 111 KB, 764x938, pepe-sysyphus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20587519
I already went the self-pub route...but I hardly sell anything.
There just seems to be no answer.

>> No.20587534

>>20587525
Check out Chris fox on YouTube
Dude started out mid at best and now pulls in a quarter a million a year
He inspired me to self publish and that I can do this but a lot of it is marketing
Don't give up if you've got the drive

>> No.20587551

>>20587419
>>be cute white woman
>be woman
>starts blogposting about things nobody cares about

also who tf refers to themselves as cute? serious discord tranny energies

>> No.20587553

>>20587551
He thinks he was born a woman

>> No.20587554

>>20587553
well if it's a man he's at least got the blogposting about inane shit nobody cares about down

>> No.20587560

https://pastebin.com/bj7Jrcv7

>> No.20587564

>>20587560
I ain't clickin' that shit, nigga.

>> No.20587566

>>20586142
Read first 2 pages or so, not the blurb. I liked the setting and atmosphere, and most of the descriptions were solid besides that super repetitive first line. Dialogue, what little I read, was fine.

I had more an issue with the content than the form, the POV was super distant from the character/felt floaty and info dumpy. I think we could get by with just the details of him navigating life on the boat or in town, don't need that much backstory out of the gate.

>> No.20587571

With the swallowing of the morphine, the inundant haze of relief traveled through the body in a flow so steady and all-encompassing it was more than physically liquid. As if the crystalline, viscous lunacy-water of its flask fully submerged the body, as the bathing balm that gently embraces it from the bone-chewing castigation of the bitter cold, dissipating the pain as it would the frigidness, making it so that in the same way the cold is a manifestation of the absence of heat, the pain is the absence of the drug. The surreal alchemic transformation of agony into ecstasy brought the flesh more than just relief. The pleasure of the body brought happiness to the heart, which was like a sharp chisel to the conscious mind, often times sculpted by the chemical joy found at the bottom of a bottle. Aphorisms and platitudes of love for all mankind would leave the lips through breathy whispers, on the off occasion there was enough energy to do so. The performance on the stage of the world, no matter how heinous, could pass as a beautiful spectacle to be watched by mesmerized eyes behind rose-tinged glasses. Interpreting its barbarism for grandiosity, the roar of explosions like the thunderous percussion of an orchestra, the vivid scarlet jets painting like the chromatic embellishments of Caravaggio, while something as trivial as the fluttering of the wings of a butterfly would be as entertaining as the somersaults of the most talented circus acrobat. But these spectacles were only a commonplace, skeletal rehearsal of the main attraction that would come in the shivering night terrors which haunted the early hours of the dawn. The demonic vaudeville acts of echoing specters, dragged from the dark mossy paste that passes as the half-conscious somnolent mind, in grotesque imagery and ideas.

>> No.20587620
File: 7 KB, 120x180, 30558257._SX120_[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20587505
this guy has a mfa in creative writing.
self published
made a ton of money

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Wight

i think the secret to his success is his book series is really good
11 books in the series so far

>> No.20587629
File: 741 KB, 1106x1012, 1646589547146.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can you write a 'sci fi' story but avoid making it genrefiction? Was LOTR genrefiction?

>> No.20587659

>>20587629
Emphasize character over plot.

>> No.20587738

>>20587419
>be cute white woman
Marry me please

>> No.20587765

>>20587505
On the contrary, I'm reading the same and I'm learning so much obvious shit that I'm taking to heart. The biggest thing I've gotten out of the book so far (at 100 pages rn) is "Go where the people are, because it's easier to go to them than to get them to come to you".

>> No.20587825

>>20587629
genre is like fantasy, sf, and horror.
lotr is fantasy
since sf is genre fiction by definition, i don't think you can avoid making it genre fiction

>> No.20587826

>>20587419
A chapter of brown victim complex which a future white women will cry and posture over

>> No.20587841

>>20587419
>hasn’t read How To Kill A Mockingbird

>> No.20587846

>>20587505
>What am I learning here, other than the effective impossibility of the task, and how much sheer luck is involved?
You're learning that if you want to reach people and sell stories, you have to write something that people want to read. It doesn't have to reach 1 million people. It just has to reach enough to form an audience around the work.

>> No.20587852

>>20587846
>you’re learning if you want to reach people, you need to be a white woman

>> No.20587909
File: 30 KB, 453x453, 1592524781232.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>He's still here crying

>> No.20587987

>>20587765
Glad you're getting something out of it.
I'm obviously going to finish reading the book.
I was already trying to pick more popular genres to write in...but I REALLY don't want to do blank-slate-girl young-adult fiction, or xianxia.
>>20587846
All I can do is TRY to write something people want to read.

>> No.20588020

>>20587909
Yes always I will never stop crying I’ll cry moar and moar

feed my brown victim complex plz

>> No.20588048

>>20588020
No. It's not healthy.

>> No.20588111

>>20588048
All you fucks and fags can say and do only one thing: insult

Whereas I admit the anger and type out the truth about white women and their performative reverence for my people. It accomplishes nothing but I do, matter of pointed fact, do feel better, and in turn you chan chuds insult my brownness, further soothing my brown victim complex to completion

It’s a win-win for me. If you’re annoyed by some meandering presence in your schizo fan fiction writing thread, then this is your smallest atonement for your white sin

I am a writer and all I need do is tap on these strange letters on some electric glass and I get (You)s. Go fuck yourselves whities, the mediocre, the murderers and rapists, and the definably average

>> No.20588141

>>20588111
"No, it's not healthy" is an insult?
"Feed my brown victim complex plz" is healthy?
There's a problem here, and it's not us.

Your seething about women is more accurately directed toward privileged lefties.
They are VERY condescending; they really seem to believe non-whites can't succeed without their help.
Why not write about that?
I'd love to read an "escape from the plantation" sort of book.
Like a fictional counterpart to Jason L. Riley, or Thomas Sowell.
THAT would be healthy.

>> No.20588183

>>20588141
I applied for the grant because I was literally working on some brown people literature. It’s really good too. Got about 1100 words into my planned 2500 when they said they’d give the project money to a white woman with crayons

And ONLY white women

That’s what gets me. Not a single man? Not even some white dude with a shitty multimedia project and like a quarter brown blood?

I want my sock, hermione. Set me free

>> No.20588285

>>20588183
Don't hate the players; hate the game.

>> No.20588399

>>20588285
I’ll hate both thanks

it’s a game (YOU) made and slapped my face on the cover

>> No.20588634

>>20586105
yeah he's something else. Every story one of his metaphors gets a smile out of me and every character is written with humour. Even if his stories get a tad repetitive, they still have that new thing that makes it worth my time, every time.

"Miss Conway was small and unobtrusive. She wore a plain, snuffy-brown dress, and bestowed her interest, which seemed languid, upon her plate. She lifted her diffident eyelids and shot one perspicuous, judicial glance at Mr. Donovan, politely murmured his name, returned to her mutton. Mr. Donovan bowed with the grace and beaming smile that were rapidly winning for him social, business and political advancement, and erased the snuffy-brown one from the tablets of his consideration."

I mean. He's so good. you immediately know who Miss conway is, even though he was writing for his time and audience, and the social ettiquete he's talking about no longer exists.

>> No.20588646

>>20588634
here's another good story-starter that's relevant to the thread

"There are a few editor men with whom I am privileged to come in contact. It has not been long since it was their habit to come in contact with me. There is a difference."