[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 493x402, 1290053099224.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2055472 [Reply] [Original]

How many of you guys actually let other people read what you write?

Iv written a bunch of short stories about these two vampires, a man and a woman. They have all sorts of adventures, some together and some alone. Iv been writing about these two since before the recent vampire insanity.

I don't think I'm a terrible writer, I just can't bring myself to let other people look at my work. Because of all the recent nonsense I don't want people to look at it and say "Oh look another vampire story *yawn* I bet he's copying True Blood"

Am I just being an insecure douchebag?

>> No.2055482

In your case you are absolutely right not to let other people see it.

I would suggest you shelve those stories, and ten or fifteen years from now after this vampire shit has blown over, let them be seen.

Until then, just try to diversify your writing.

>> No.2055489

Changing your "Iv"s to "I've"s might be a good start in your attempt to prove that you're not a terrible writer to a skeptical audience.

>> No.2055493

>>2055489

Jesus bro. End of the fucking world. Maybe he didn't proofread.

>> No.2055513

>>2055489
Mild punctuation errors are fine in small amounts, but no-one likes that guy who makes a big deal about it.

No one.

>> No.2055514

>>2055493
>Maybe he didn't proofread.
That's rather inauspicious for someone trying to prove he's a quality writer, no?

>> No.2055518

>>2055514

I see a guy asking people if they let other people read their work. Not someone trying to prove anything. Writing stories isn't about having perfect grammar. That's why authors have editors. Sure it's good to look over your shit but it's not the end if you miss some things. You're not writing an instruction manual for the English language, nor are you teaching a class. You're writing a story.

>> No.2055521

Constructive criticism will almost certainly help you improve.

The current vampire trend might cause you problems, but an honest, well-reasoned opinion, or several of these, can be quite helpful.

>> No.2055523

I let people read my works because I know they're great and that even my uni teachers won't have a single negative critique at the end of their lecture.

>people 'mirin, people 'mirin errywhere

>> No.2055527

>>2055482
What? Now is exactly the right time to get your terrible vampire story published. You just need to write a fairly coherent story that promises vampire action on the cover and SOMEONE will pick it up on the basis that it's like that show/movie/other book they like.

>> No.2055529

>>2055514
He's not trying to prove he's a quality writer, he's asking if he should feel weird about not showing his work to people. And 4chan posts are on a lower level than serious writing, you know that.

OP, odds are that you only write these things because you are dissatisfied with your life and it gives you a chance to experience all the emotional gratification you are lacking in your life. Like day dreaming on paper. It's probably best not to show them to people.

>> No.2055541

>>2055529

That could probably be said about most writers.

>> No.2055544

>>2055541
Yeah, but most writers are crap.

>> No.2055551

>vampires
stop that.

>> No.2055552

I don't think it's about being able to show off your work, it's about who you show it off to.

Find the right person and let it leak.

>> No.2055553

>>2055518
True, and I don't care enough to continue the argument and derail the thread any further. However, writing vampire stories and making simple grammatical mistakes strike me as somewhat ominous. It's not the grammar in and of itself but the whole situation that engenders some skepticism from me.

>> No.2055565

Whatever you do, adverbs are not your friend.