[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 647 KB, 2048x1536, 1246172824413.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2046141 [Reply] [Original]

I'm looking to be a better writer… writing tips?

>> No.2046146

Read more.

>> No.2046152

Write more.

>> No.2046154

kill yourself

>> No.2046248

>>2046154
You first.

>> No.2047203
File: 108 KB, 1024x768, bearmount.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

stop hanging out on /lit/. it doesn't help.

>> No.2047215

Stop sitting infront of the internet!
If you write on a computer, plug the internet for your writing time or go somewhere else, were you don't have internet or any distractions.
Same goes for your reading.

Also write a lot and read a lot! Make yourselfs some simple rules on how many you can read and write on a normal work / school day, print these rules and keep with them.
If you have something like read 50 Pages a day and write 1000 words a day. Then stick to it!

>> No.2047226

http://750words.com/

This may be relevant to your interests. It also analysis your writings and displays your works mood and themes through organized charts and statistics. It also has fun badges you can earn for various reasons, just to give you something to strive for while you maintain your quotas. Enjoy!

>> No.2047255

Read different styles, ie minimal and elaborate prose: Hemingway and Angela Carter, Samuel Beckett and Virginia Woolf. What moves you the most? Do a pastiche. Read poetry as well as novels.

>> No.2047257

Everyday you don't read put fifty cents in a jar
Everyday you don't write put twenty-five cents in a jar. After a few months double the amount - when you complete a project go spend the money on something nice. Finally when you get to writing and reading enough without putting money in that money jar you should just spend some money on yourself based on the largest amount of coin you had put in the jar for one project. Also don't be a homo start with a few short stories and get rejected a few times before you go for a book.

>> No.2047286

>>2047257

Not OP, but that sounds like a really good idea! Thanks for that! Now I am off to find a jar to put some money in!

>> No.2047301

>>2047286
Good. : )
Oh and maybe time limits might come into play later. I don't think you should force yourself to write all day but a ten minute writing session sorta sucks. Also the reading thing shouldn't be much of a problem or anyone on this bored. Share the idea. I've always thought it was good. That is if it's actually done. Good luck!

>> No.2047307

Sup bro.

I just got told a really good one.

Every morning when you wake up do a 'morning page'. Like, straight away. Doesn't have to be relevant to your project, can just be stream of consciousness or even 'i have nothing to say i have nothing to say etc'. No editing, to pausing.

It's a great habit to get into and you can pick out some great little phrases or gems from your still woozy morning brain.

Read through it at the end of the day.

Also set yourself little 'prompt' exercises. Flip through a dictionary, pick a word at random and write like, 20 lines or so on the word. Whatever comes into your head.

>> No.2047314
File: 11 KB, 249x251, 1298163861651s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

A good idea I found here on this board a while ago was this little chart here!

Go to a page with a random number calculater. Create a number between 0 and 99. Look at the chart. No you write something regarding the numbers on the chart.
It can be hard, but that way, you get a feel for some genres you never would have touched before. A romance about farmers? Realism about aliens? Well what ever, go write something about it.
No need to do this everyday, but once every week, go sit down and write a paragraph or a short story with this.

>> No.2047325

Write and read a lot (that's a no-brainer).

Always begin with an idea, if you want to produce anything of interest. Chances are, that if you "just write", it will be boring first person stream of consciousness poetry.

Visualize the scenes, and basically describe what you see in your inner eye to your reader, as if you were describing a movie to a blind person, *but* when possible, do it via the POV characters (or the protagonist if first person) That is, show, don't tell.

Favor limited third person POV.

Don't neglect or overdo colorful description.

Murder your darlings, and tidy up the scenes.

Avoid clichés, tropes, violence and supernatural themes, unless you wanna be like everyone else. Write moar.

>> No.2047329

The best tip I can give you is ignore everyone in this thread and just start writing.

>> No.2047366

>>2047307
That sounds like a pretty good idea.