[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 10 KB, 193x261, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20418061 No.20418061 [Reply] [Original]

The ending of becoming (bhavanirodha) is exactly the goal of Buddhism.

>'When a noble disciple has thus understood being, the origin of being, the cessation of being, and the way leading to the cessation of being…he here and now makes an end of suffering. In that way too a noble disciple is one of right view…and has arrived at this true Dhamma.'
(MN 9.31 (p 137))

The cessation of becoming should not be confused with non-existence (vibhava), that is, the belief that an existing self becomes non-existent (see Iti 49), still, that is called the best outsider view (AN 10.29). What bhavanirodha means is nirvana in this life (AN 10.7), and even if one has doubts one should choose that as the right view:

>'Now as to the recluses and brahmins who hold the doctrine and view “there definitely is no cessation of being,” if their word is true then it is certainly still possible that I might reappear [after death] among the gods of the immaterial realms who consist of perception. But as to the recluses and brahmins who hold the doctrine and view “there definitely is a cessation of being,” if their word is true then it is possible that I might here and now attain final Nibbāna. The view of those good recluses and brahmins who hold the doctrine and view “there definitely is no cessation of being” is close to lust, close to bondage, close to delighting, close to holding, close to clinging; but the view of those good recluses and brahmins who hold the doctrine and view “there definitely is cessation of being” is close to non-lust, close to non-bondage, close to nondelighting, close to non-holding, close to non-clinging.’ After reflecting thus, he practises the way to disenchantment with being, to the fading away and cessation of being.'
(MN 60.34 (p 517))

What should be recognised is that a being (satta) exists as craving and clinging (SN 23.2), and becoming is about deluded identification that is an outflow/defilement (āsava).

>> No.20418062

>'How can one be certain here and now that this existence has ceased? This might sometimes appear as a big puzzle. But all the same, the arahant experiences the cessation of existence as a realization. That is why he even gives expression to it as: Bhavanirodho Nibbānaṃ, "cessation of existence is Nibbāna".
>It comes about by this extinction of influxes. The very existence of 'existence' is especially due to the flowing in of influxes of existence. What is called 'existence' is not the apparent process of existing visible to others. It is something that pertains to one's own mental continuum.
>For instance, when it is said that some person is in the world of sense desires, one might sometimes imagine it as living surrounded by objects of sense pleasure. But that is not always the case. It is the existence in a world of sense desires, built up by sensuous thoughts. It is the same with the realms of form and formless realms. Even those realms can be experienced and attained while living in this world itself.
Similarly, it is possible for one to realize the complete cessation of this existence while living in this very world. It is accomplished by winning to the realization that the influxes of sense desires, existence, and ignorance, no longer influence one's mind.'
(The Mind Stilled, vol 5, by Bhikkhu K. Ñāṇananda)

>> No.20418100

>>20418061
Are there any neuroscientific studies around Buddhist practitioners? Genuine question by the way

Think I've seen a study on pubmed about the differences in their EEGs, seems they produce more gamma waves. But how does their production of serotonin and dopamine work, considering their beliefs & aims centered around eliminating desire? There can't be a way to stop desiring completely, can there? Other than anhedonia I suppose

>> No.20418104

>Parinirvana is not an annihilation
>also, you and your consciousness are just constituted by a series of transient aggregates which come to an end and which don't continue in nirvana
>yea bro you aren't conscious of anything whatsoever in Parinirvana and Buddhists can't explain how its different in practice from nothingness or but just trust me bro, it's not an annihilation
was he trolling or just retarded?

>> No.20418130

>>20418100
There are and according to the five minutes of research on Youtube I did:
They are steady.
It's like comparing graphs for a keto dieter's insulin to a diabetic.
Gamma waves are more intense.

>> No.20418140

>>20418061
anyway, how do we explain the existence of consciousness in other people? Will I live all possible lives?

Logically, it may be possible for me to somehow experience everything at once, because to experience my current body means to be limited, and to have no memories that this body has not directly experienced (sorry, reincarnation is dumb, unless you admit there is no order to it, and no individual “soul”). But it’s hard to reconcile this seeming contradiction. Other people are experiencing things and I don’t experience it. If I somehow am experiencing everything, then will I actually experience those lives? Before/after this body? It’s as if I as pure Awareness want to experience everything but get trapped in memories of a single body, because that is something that must be experienced

>> No.20418145

>>20418104
>the end of midwit discursive thoughts and the illusions projected by piling them up is annihilation
for you

>> No.20418146

any religion that advocates for peace and passivity is so obviously a control mechanism to keep plebs in line, I feel bad for midwits that can’t take a step back and look at it dispassionately

>> No.20418148

>>20418100
>Are there any neuroscientific studies around Buddhist practitioners? Genuine question by the way
https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/mono/10.4324/9781315889580/mind-brain-path-happiness-dusana-dorjee

>> No.20418155

>>20418061
What is the opposite of Buddhism? The goal of endless becoming?

>> No.20418170

>>20418155
>What is the opposite of Buddhism?
Ignorance.

>> No.20418172

>>20418145
It is an annihilation if absolutely nothing of us and nothing of the experiencer remains, no amount of coping and goal-post moving can change this

>> No.20418179

>>20418100
>Are there any neuroscientific studies around Buddhist practitioners? Genuine question by the way
https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/abs/cambridge-handbook-of-consciousness/meditation-and-the-neuroscience-of-consciousness-an-introduction/C9CA89724ABFB8B49903EBD757905190

>> No.20418216

>>20418172
The way forwards is to embrace impermanence, change, and becoming. The end goal is to be in a state of endless wonder with the world - to flow with all things.

>> No.20418287
File: 157 KB, 960x960, 1591462856465.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20418172
>nooo don't destroy my illusions I wanted them to be real
I'll just be chilling while you seethe... gate gate paragate

>> No.20418370

>>20418287
Oh shit is that real?!
Holy shit a real Buddha!

>> No.20418385

>>20418146
Illuminati tier take.
Arahant tier take.
You can "relive" all your past lives and bully fear monger about it.
Too based to ever say out loud in physical financially liable space my nigga. Damn I wanted to say this but I did not have the balls to believe in this planet anymore. Damn Anon I hope you survive this Great Reset in some Amish compound or mountain abode away from the S*¥patrol or yourself are a happy merchant among the less enlightened kikes.

>> No.20418389

>>20418146
This kind of thinking is what's gonna get me writing essays on the mechanics of Mormon influence and managerial elites. Thanks, Illuminatanon

>> No.20418509
File: 96 KB, 688x332, utimate_of_questionability.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reject Buddhism and worship the Holy Question Mark - the symbol of the infinite and ever-changing Unknown. May you apply desire to itself, whittling striving into a piercing wonder that forever seeks the strangifying event.

>> No.20418532

>>20418172
An annihilation of the aggregates. Just as recovering from a flu is the annihilation of the viral flu particles which give rise to it. No one who has the flu would would identify their being with the flu, perhaps unless they've lived their entire life with it and been unable to see anything other than momentary reprieves (drinking cough medicine to ease their pain). No one who has recovered from a disease would want to remember it or the experience of it, it's not worth remembering.

>> No.20418749

>>20418172
Buddhism is annihilation of suffering just as Christianity is annihilation of sin

>> No.20418758

>>20418749
>Christianity is annihilation of sin
More specifically, the annihilation of death.

>> No.20418843

>>20418758
>More specifically, the annihilation of death.
Which is a big joke.

>> No.20418845

>>20418843
Cool.

>> No.20418924

>>20418061
I get the point by the way Buddhism words all this (at least in it's English translated form) sounds retarded

>> No.20419466
File: 333 KB, 1600x1387, 1652063567107.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20418924
Ask a monk about exactly in primary source what the Buddha said about anger or ill will. These words are gross English approximations butchering the culture as well.
Each word itself is a jargon of pali entendre. Buddha engaged in much play on words with Indian idiosyncrasies.
The New Testament is the origin point for many words in English and its other languages. Shakespeare the casual entertainment of his day and the grueling fancy Ivy League posturing of today is also is a major origin point text for these specific origin words. However with Buddha he says he discovered all this on his own but NONE of this is apparent in any English translation because all these concepts are brand new to English speakers and Buddha expected his Indian audience to understand implicitly which is a new polemical or revolutionary entendre and which is old fashioned by his borrowing of words like "Arahant" and "Dukkha". All rhymes are lost. This was a rhyming chanting culture.

>> No.20419530

>>20418758
(For Jews) esoterically