[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 9 KB, 399x325, sifting-through-ideas.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2039996 [Reply] [Original]

post them. Here's mine that i'm currently pending:

The Protag is your average joe until one day after a failed suicide attempt decides to become a serial killer after he saves his neighbour and accidentally kills the culprit in self defense.

genre: satire, slice of life and physcological.

>> No.2040016

A series of drafts of a play, along with a series of communications between the playwright and his colleagues. Explicates the blending of the character's personal experience with his fiction.

>> No.2040022

The book is set in the near future where everything is digitized and connected through the internet. In this world, governments are shaking at their foundations in a constant war against countless small organizations that have access to power and arms.

The protagonist starts up a server one day, and ends up creating a nation whos people are not bound by geographical borders but connected through internet.

>> No.2040036
File: 66 KB, 685x487, 1311705087827.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

About 20-30 pages in now. Not a huge achievement, but I'm happy with myself.

The story takes place primarily in a house the size of a crawlspace, owned by a 23 year old man named Clyde, where he spends most of his days imagining his perfect woman - he draws shoddy images, writes poetry, and incites himself to have common dreams about her, all while commonly pleasuring himself to the thought of ever finding such. The book is divided into 2 parts: the first, titled "Awake" revolves solely in the place of Clyde's home, circulating solely on his lack of passion/self doubt among his work, his serious in and out depression, previous interest in the military (the section holds multiple flashbacks to his training experience, based on trigger words), an extended dream with a girl, which includes inner turmoil within Clyde between his sexual nature and the need to find more so along with the struggle to understand what is the middle of these lines, and attempting suicide at the end of the section by trying to jump from his window – the section ends with a poem that blows out of the window onto the ground nearby written by Clyde.

>> No.2040038

>>2040036
>>2040036

The section, near the middle, derives into another half-section describing his meeting with a girl in a park - the meeting is pleasant, with them sharing adoration on certain aspects of their lives until she invites him for a car ride back to her place. Clyde begins to hyperventilate in the car, deforming the reality around him and sending him into a state of shock - the girl begins to discuss her family life to Clyde, unbest knowing he is slipping away from reality, and the emotion in the girl about how her brother, whom she wanted to have an incestuous relationship with, never cared for her in such way seemingly parallels the heightened pressure of Clyde being with her. The section ends with her stopping in front of her house, asking Clyde if he had ever loved somebody while he lets his body sleep.

>> No.2040041

>>2040038
>>2040038

The final section is "While sleeping..."; this section begins with Clyde preparing himself to go out with a girl he had met previously, who is unnamed. A portion of the first part is Clyde imaging various scenarios involving the objects he uses to prepare himself of how the evening will occur, fantasizing himself early on as a handsome and daring fellow and eventually, as he continues to let his imagination run, the ideas turn rancid, inciting Clyde to sulk into depression – Clyde, hastily prepared and unkempt, leaves the house anyway to avoid such. As he drives, Clyde deteriorates into a mess of emotion over the clash between who Clyde wants the girl to be, who he remembers he to be, and who she really is, the section often referring or retelling moments from the park girl’s car in the perspective of the girl watching Clyde, yet Clyde moments return where Clyde is simply realizing he is watching himself. As the radio dies out when Clyde swerves off the road, nearly slamming into a wall, Clyde sits in static shortly before walking the rest of the way, down the road, admiring the scenery to that in his dreams. At the end of the road, Clyde enters a diner and sees a crowd of people eating, to which he slowly looks around at the faces, manuvering the diner as he does, looking for the girl – he finds her in the corner, at which, the other patrons disappear and the table she is sitting at is candlelit. The novel ends with Clyde sitting down, suddenly in tears and the girl looking at him, her face blurry and the entire scene collapsing.

>> No.2040054

a former civil war veteran makes his way into the world of the wild west, pursued by an abomination of an alien robot, an abrasive rival with impeccable skills and confidence with revolvers and his own vivid hallucinations

drama/faget shit and i'm not sure where the fuck its gonna go from there

sage for not /lit/ though

>> No.2040061

>>2040054
>a former civil war veteran
as in he used to be a veteran, but no longer is?
do everyone a favor and don't ever write.

>> No.2040067

It's a book about a space rocket racing team in the distant future year of 1997. Their drivers are a human named Tim The Incredibly Badass Space Captain and Bob Calamari, a genetically augmented space octopus. And while racing across the universe, they fight crime.... Mostly by hitting it with their rocketship.

>> No.2040077
File: 67 KB, 361x496, robes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

The former civil war veteran could be the reincarnation of Robespierre.

DECAPITATION TIME, BITCHES!

>> No.2040082

Tell me how this sounds
a man in his mid twenties go out to hitchhike across america, to recreate the experience jack kerouac had in the 40s and 50s. This is all hes everywanted to do ever since he read the book when he was a teen. This is what he was born to do, but when he gets out there he realizes its hard and finds guidence through keroauc and on the road, and ultimately learns morea bout the country were living in, and the people here and just life in general.

>> No.2040107

There's a guy who's a real gary stu with sparkles and all but he meets this old badass war veteran (with replaced limbs and a smoking addiction) who puts him in his place lol. They go adventuring from town to town.

>> No.2040642

A young adult becomes bored at an amusement ark and begins to wander. He stumbles across a "Peek into the Future" ride that appears shut down from the outside. When he enters to look around, he discovers that the ride is on and seems to be running perpetully. He stops it and about 8 people step off of the ride who seem to have been trapped on it for decades. When they orient themselves, the teenager must address all of their inqueries about the future (eg. why dont we have floating cars, the ride said we would have this by now)

>> No.2040662

>>2040642
I'd fukin read this if I liked the prose

>> No.2040671
File: 258 KB, 1280x960, 1303416091047.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>twist on typical America saves the world action-movie type story
>main character is abducted off the street.
>chosen to lead the squad because he's the best of the best need to make the whole thing work
>actually implied to be an aspie. Military stuff is his a aspie-focus but he has to deal with not really understanding people
>General in charge of the top secret unit actually created it to use it for his own ends. Wants to go out in a blaze of glory in an attack against china just for the sake of principle, becoming a Knight of Faith
>Nuclear terrorist attack against america. Iran responsible, Nuke purchased from North Korea
>Chinese intelligence knew about the attack, and knew that the Americans were trying to stop the terrorist cell responsible. China intervenes and agents kill the undercover American agents, allowing the terrorist attack to go under way. with Iran and NK as china's unwitting pawn
>Nato coalition invades the two countries
>china uses this as diversion to anex neighboring countries with iraq-war level bullshit justifications
>main characters girlfriend (his only real connection to other human beings) assassinated. She was a defecting walk-in double agent working as a honeypot for the General to keep tabs on the main character. Their whole relationship was a farce. all that his girlfriend want was revenge for the murder of her parents during the Tienanmen square massacre.
>Main character confronts general. agrees to keep fight, but for his own reason, not the general's
>main characters squad makes a last stand against chinese military just for the sake of 'fuck you'
>everyone dies
> themes of angst, depersonalization, nature of war, free will
>many references to Nausea and the Art of War

>> No.2040691

>>2040662
This is one that I have actually considered givng some life too. I wouldn'tmake it too preachy, I'd just draw out the prose and let the reader see where the message is going.

>> No.2041255

bump

>> No.2041265

An anthropomorphic Shinto shrine recounts three murders, one birth and two people vomiting as it is taken apart in the city it has been a part of for decades and re-built far away nestled in the nook of a quiet green mountain.

>> No.2041267

>>2040671
Sounds like a whole load of shitly-manipulated plot to me.

>> No.2041268

A down on her luck highschool girl with lofty ideals and fantasies meets a hot guy who turns out to be a time travelling vampire.

>> No.2041269

A peasant boy who finds out he is a wizard.
The realm is under attack and he is the only one who can defeat the enemy.

>> No.2041270

>>2041265
That sounds funny.

>> No.2041271

ITT: Attention whoring and shit that will never actually be written.

>> No.2041272

>>2041271

well you can just fuck off then

everything starts off with an idea, it helps if you get your criticism early on rather than write out your entire story and have it crapped on by critics

>> No.2041273
File: 20 KB, 389x241, 1309671336589.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2041271
>implying I'm not already a third of the way through writing mine

>> No.2041275

Book about a guy who somehow gets haunted by a spirit. The spirit tells him, he lives, if he can give him the right answer to three questions.
To find out the answer, he might ask the spirit everything and the spirit will answer. The man won't know though if the spirits' answer is true or false...
So its pretty much a little battle of wits, with the spirit wanting to give him the wrong answer and the man trying to find out the right one

>> No.2041276

>>2041269
Sounds like Merlin.

>> No.2041278

>>2041275

um

why should the spirit ever tell the truth?

just lie all the time

>> No.2041280

>>2041267
My focus is on mostly on characterization

>> No.2041281

>>2041270

Ideally it would be around 40k to 50k words.

It would start off quite slow, then the pace would pick up as the work men come to take the shrine apart then once it is all in the truck (or trucks) the pace would slow down. As the rebuilding process begins the pace would pick up but there may be an issue, a fault or a twist at this point that the reader (hopefully) did not see coming. Then the pace would pick up dramatically ultimately climaxing with one clear vision being shown. And that would be the end of that.

I'd like to make it humorous in a very dry and middle-aged-computer-nerd kind of way.

>> No.2041279

>>2041272
>crapped on by critics
Never did twilight any harm.

>> No.2041282

>>2041278
Exactly what I was thinking.

>> No.2041284

Dante's inferno, but Dante is a modern day hobo. Virgil is a camp-gay type character. Hell is this gigantic corporate building floating on a mountain, in the dark abyss.

>> No.2041285

>>2041284
Sounds like Dante's inferno.

>> No.2041286

>>2041284

Are you a britfag?

Can you explain what camp means?

Ive hear it used often on british television especially when david walliams is on, but I have no idea what it means and the internet is garbage.

>> No.2041288

>>2041278
>>2041282

Well that is the thing the character has to find out. Also, this is a question everyone would ask himself, why shouls he ever tell the truth and the character is thinking that too obviously. So maybe he just tells the truth to put him off and to confuse him. Maybe he tells the truth all along, since the character is expecting him to lie. You see were I am going?

>> No.2041290

>>2041286

basically a gay stereotype. is theatrically feminine, has a lisp, says "fabulous" a lot, sassy, flamboyant

>> No.2041291

>>2041272

>it helps if you get your criticism early on

On what? A paragraph summary and vague concept?

>rather than write out your entire story and have it crapped on by critics

Most writers have a period between finishing a story and receiving post publishing reviews. During this period, they edit, re-draft, and get insight from other people that actually helps because these other people now have something to actually analyze and critique.

Anyone can sit back and spitball general ideas. Writers write. No one makes or contributes to these threads like these because they want to write something. They do it so they DON'T have to write.

You want criticism? Here's when you get it:

1. Idea
2. Write (first draft) piece on idea in full
3. Reread
4. Second draft
5. Reread and proofread
6. NOW. NOW YOU CAN SHOW IT TO OTHER PEOPLE.

Why then? Because now you actually have something.

Ideas and concepts don't matter for shit if the actual writing and story sucks. In fact, if the writing and story are good, the concept often barely fucking matters.

>> No.2041292

>>2041290
you should name him after one of our tripfags

>> No.2041293

>>2041288

Not really no. There will never be a way to know if the spirit is lying or telling the truth unless you ask 999999999 questions to eventually corner the truth out of one question.

Unless your dialog is incredibly thought out like one of those logic puzzles, it wont be much of a read.

The character has about a 1/8 chance of living, thats all really.

>> No.2041294

>>2041291
If I linked a sample of what I have, would anyone here actually read it?

>> No.2041295

>>2041294
Tried this yesterday and a grand total of 2 people replied. Neither of whom gave any sort of criticism.
I wouldn't bother.

>> No.2041297

>>2041291

Guh.

You CAN get constructive criticism on your ideas as well, why cant you?

For example if I have an idea for a story:

Two boys vie for the attention of a girl.

Thats a fucking bland idea. Until somebody comes along and says: "you know what, make boy1 a vampire and boy2 a werewolf."

And then your novel becomes 200x more interesting.

If you write out an entire section of a story based on a bland idea, the most people can contribute is correcting your grammatical errors / blah.

>> No.2041301

60 year old man, disappointed of how the world turned out to be (Wars, Financial crisis etc.) makes a plan to plant bombs in government buildings and places where people are (subway, airports etc.). His dog, a pug, finds out his plan and goes on a mission to warn the world about this mans plans. Is this any good? I'm still working on the plot. But this is the general idea.

>> No.2041303

>>2041294

Probably, but with a sample you should at least have a specific reason for posting it. Such as, "Hey guys, can you take a look at this and tell me if the dialogue sounds right?" or "Is the setting and action clear in this?"

You should also do this for complete stories as well. Basically, if you want a real critique, ask for it. If you don't, most of what you get back will be general "I dis/liked it" responses.

>> No.2041306

>>2041293

That is the big idea of it. I want it to be like a logic puzzle. I actually want the reader, to think about it while he is reading it.
Also this story won't be too long. Simply because if I would write 800 pages of it, no one would read it. If I make it 100 pages or a less, people would probably read it (like you said, if the dialogue is good).

>> No.2041309

>>2041297

I would love to meet this remarkable person who has the talent, skill, and imagination to write brilliantly but desperately needs help when it comes to expanding on a vague basic premise.

>> No.2041326

>>2041306

I suppose if I see this as a short story maybe a couple of pages long (and well reviewed) I might read it as an exercise in thought while I take my morning crap.

But it will be tough to work this one out, and tougher to get glowering reviews.

>> No.2041343

The protagonist attempts suicide but is saved by a man who refuses to let the progatonist die until he does everything he's wanted to do with his life. The book ends with the protagonist becoming a pilot and the man, whose last item on his to-do list was skydive, sky dives out of the protagonist's airplane without a parachute to die happily.

>> No.2041363

Having decided to stay in WWII Leningrad during the siege, a 17-year-old boy is caught looting a German paratrooper's corpse. The penalty for this is execution. But the local Colonel offers to spare him if he manages to find a dozen eggs for the colonel's daughter's wedding cake somewhere in the barren city.

>> No.2041481

There's no such thing as bad ideas.

Only bad execution.

Captcha: iewared cliched

>> No.2041487

>>2041363
I just read City of Thieves. Twas really good. I enjoyed it a lot.

>> No.2041501

>>2041301
It sounds like it could be a good comedy.