[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 136 KB, 672x1024, ts_eliot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2038489 [Reply] [Original]

How should I get into poetry? The only stuff I've really ever read was Poe (a hand-me-down collection), along with a few random ones here and there. I'm really interested in romantic poetry, to be quite honest, and I'm wonder where I should start.

Also, does memorizing poems make one look like a pretentious douche?

>> No.2038493

your picture is 100% related. also bukowski and baudelaire

>> No.2038498
File: 19 KB, 250x266, TAVISAGE.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2038489

YOU ARE SO BIASED, CONVOLUTED AND OVERSOCIALIZED THAT I ALREADY DISLIKE YOU, SO INSTEAD OF ANSWERING YOUR TRITE QUESTIONS I WILL BRIEFLY & VAGUELY EXPRESS MY DISGUST TOWARDS YOU VIA *THIS* POST.

>> No.2038501

>>2038498

ok

>>2038493

Thanks, I wrote down those names. Will do some research.

>> No.2038503
File: 34 KB, 576x443, 1310070695944.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

> Also, does memorizing poems make one look like a pretentious douche?

The way I see it is, if you memorize it because you feel you adore it so much you want to carry it with you for yourself everywhere, then it's fine.

It's like - you shouldn't remember poetry just to recite it to others, you should remember it for your own pleasure.

>> No.2038505

Read major works (Paradise Lost and such), read from poetry collections, when you like something dig deeper into that author, etc.

Out of curiosity, why Romantic poetry? That's my primary area of study.

>> No.2038510

OP, this is: >>2038505

If you reply to tripfags within the same post as replying to me I might miss your post.

>> No.2038512

t.s. eliot is absolutely my favorite poet.

my first time reading his work was difficult though, because he makes reference to so many other great pieces of literature.

charles bukowski is wonderful too.

and I'm also a fan of leonard cohen, though he's primarily known for his songs rather than his poetry.

>> No.2038514

>>2038505

I like the art, I love the music, why not get into more areas of that era?

>> No.2038630

>>2038512

TS eliot isn't difficult. Read Prufrock, it's his earliest and best work. His later work, Wasteland, Ash, Hollow, quarts, doesn't measure up to the sheer 'newness' of Prufrock. It's entirely laudable that the man was able to create a whole branch of literature in his early 20's with a single work.

Enough of my jerking of Eliot, for Romantics read Wordsworth, skip Coleridge, Shelley and Keats are essential, Tennyson (Three M's: Mariana, In Memoriam, Maud), Wallace Stevens is difficult but honestly one of the greatest poets ever go into him slowly, theres alot of really good poems by Ezra Pound that are quite romantic but you have to dig them out, then Bishop and Ashbery. Read Lycidas, save Paradise Lost for much much much later.

>> No.2038660

>Also, does memorizing poems make one look like a pretentious douche?
who cares? The only thing that makes one pretentious is maintaining pretense, valuing how you present yourself to others over what you actually like is practically the definition of pretentious.

>> No.2038689

I just bought a nice side by side translation of some Baudelaire. Personally though i'm not a great fan of romanticism in general.

>> No.2038835

>>2038489
Octavio Paz is the greatest poet of all time.