[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 134 KB, 728x514, sad-face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2036922 [Reply] [Original]

Hi lit.

I'm going through a really difficult time right now. I need recommendations that are uplifting, humorous, or absurd. Thanks.

>> No.2036925

dances with wolves

>> No.2036928

Pynchon? Is that you?

>> No.2036933

Catcher In the Rye

The Bell Jar

American Psycho

Haunted

>> No.2036951

How 'bout some good ol Hank the Cowdog

>> No.2036982

I'll try to help. I'm probably not that great a judge of what others will find uplifting, though. My sense of humor is questionable as well.

>uplifting
anything related to King Arthur and the knights of the round table
Mary Oliver, esp. "Wild Geese" and "The Summer Day"
Kahlil Gibran (not really my cup of tea but people seem to like him)
Joseph Campbell books
the Daodejing (I found it uplifting, anyway)
The Little Prince (again, not my cuppa, but it's ai'ight)
Watership Down (if King Arthur seemed like a suitable suggestion this might also work for you. adventures and heroic deeds and whatnot)

>humorous or absurd
Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
P.G. Wodehouse
Edward Gorey
Gulliver's Travels/Jonathan Swift stuff
Roy Orbison In Clingfilm - this is the funniest shit i've read on all of the internet
James Joyce's sex letters (i think they're rather sweet, tbh)
Forrest Gump by Winston Groom (the film is funny, but also dramatic. the book is mostly just funny and weird. he flies to the goddamn moon in the book, for example)
the Principia Discordia (also uplifting IMO)
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Metamorphosis (i saw someone say this book was depressing. it makes me lol though)
The Lost World by ACD (i havent finished this, but Professor Challenger is lulz)
"The Heart of a Dog" and "The Fatal Eggs" by Mikhail Bulgakov
The Hunchback's Tale (from 1001 Nights...alot of the 1001 Nights stories are funny/absurd/fucking crazy)

reading sherlock holmes can distract me from just about anything, but then i have a freakish attachment to the series; might not be for everybody. I really don't know.

i hope this helps you, OP!

>> No.2036983

>>2036982
>Daodejing
>Daodejing
>Dao
>de
>jing

TAO TE CHING.

I MEAN, I KNOW YOU CAN FUCKING DO IT EITHER WAY, BUT THAT SHIT JUST LOOKS RETARDED.

>> No.2036988

>>2036982
Thanks man, very much appreciated. Reading some of those suggestions to distract myself would be really helpful right now.

>> No.2037005

Anything by Terry Pratchett.

>> No.2037010

>>2036983
no it doesn't! don't make fun of me!

>>2036988
you're welcome :)

>> No.2037012

>>2036983
IDIOT

>> No.2037013

Read John Hodgeman's "All the Information that Your Require" and "That Is All" for absurd funniness. There's also a moment when he writes about aliens in one of them that's uplifting in a weird way.