[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 207 KB, 700x625, English-Iranian_Brotherhood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2029829 [Reply] [Original]

As an Iranian man I just wanted to say that although I've never met an Englishman in person, I have alot of respect for England. Growing up, my father would always tell me tales of great Kings of our motherland, he would always tell me tales of grand heroes and poets, as well, he would always tell me tales of English Kings and heroes, like Alfred the Great as well as great leaders like Oliver Cromwell. I've always felt close to England in spirit, the shows I watch from it, remind me of Iran; Iran is not a desert, it is like England except more mountainous. Sometimes when watching Fawlty Towers I'm reminded of the days before the revolution, the days when Iranians wore miniskirts and dressed in Western fashion... those days are over, but the memory I never had still lasts in my heart. I have always felt that a hatred of Iran or Iranians is based off ignorance.

In Iran we've always had a love for England in the periphery, perhaps after the coup, only anti-English sentiment was mainstream. It really pains me as an Iranian man living in Iran to hear people speak about my motherland negatively. People simply don't understand, they don't understand us, they don't understand that this Islamic Republic does not represent me, it does not represent my ideals, my culture, my civilization, my heritage, my history. I stand with the flame of Cyrus and Darius in my heart but am passed off as nothing more than a Muslim, a follower of an Arab whom hated my culture and people, a follower of a desert cult which destroyed the Sassanid empire. Iran hasn't lost its soul or culture, but it has been spat upon. If only the West would understand my pain and my love, but the West sees us Iranians as nothing more than barbarians, as villains... if only you Englishmen and Europeans could see the green hills of Iran, the castles of our heroes, the might of Persepolis and the true soul of Iran.

>> No.2029831

The history of Iran is a sad one. Before 1953 there was no anti-British sentiment in Iran, but then it all began, with the overthrow of Iran's democracy (Anglo-Iranian coup) and its replacment with a US backed dictator. Two in my eyes grand peoples who I wish could be in peace... but I suppose in the end, that's the nature of imperialism; this is the sad reality of the Middle East and its troubles, we've had so many movements for secularism and democracy simply overthrown by Western powers in the name of oil greed. Now what has this given the West in the end? Terrorism? Pain? What has it done to the cradle of civilization and culture? It has made us out to be "barbarians", "primitives", "babboons"... once great peoples are now called "terrorists" and "murderers"... how sad.

I wish this poem was translated into English, but it summarizes my views of Iran perfectly... it makes me cry everytime I listen to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0oXNVD_mIQ

>> No.2029866

All Iranians are terrorists.

>> No.2029878

mahmoud ahmedinejad is an enemy of the united states and has nuclear weapons

>> No.2029886

>>2029866
>>2029878

Am I on /lit/ right now?

>> No.2029896

I worked for an Iranian dude during my 'starvinf artist' phase. Motherfucker paid me less than anyone else I ever worked for.

Nice food in Iran though - what's that stuff called, something like Gourmet Sabji? Fuck knows how you spell it. Fucking lovely though.

Iranians seem OK to me, but what the fuck do I know? Most people turn out to be cunts anyway, so what difference does it make which shithole country, ruled by whatever cunt, you come from?

Rumi was Iranian, wasn't he?

You, who make all my hardship easy
And the garden, trees, flowers, drunk with your gifts;
The rose is drunk, the thorn is lost in dream;
Pour one more cup, they'll join in your wine's stream.

So what the fuck is it with early moslems and wine anyway? When did it become Haram or whatever to drink booze, because the early dudes and the moors and those fuckers, they were all drinking wine all the fucking time. So what's the fucking deal?

>> No.2029912

>>2029896

lol'd @ 12 year olds on /lit/

>> No.2029916

>>2029896
Rumi was afghanistani/turkish, wrote in persian though

>> No.2029919 [DELETED] 
File: 61 KB, 500x730, taxiderpy_lol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029912

>I worked for an Iranian dude

>12 year old

mfw

>> No.2029926

>>2029916

Still, he was a moslem, no? My question still stands. And what about Omar Khayam?

A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread-and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness-
O, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

And all that shit? Was he a moslem? He was definitely a Iranian, I think. Probably, anyway.

>> No.2029927
File: 11 KB, 375x273, u mad..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029896
>my 'starvinf artist' phase

>> No.2029930 [SPOILER] 
File: 89 KB, 659x699, STFU.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029927

Oh my fucking jesus, I mistyped something on the internet. I'm so fucking ashamed, I'm just going to go and cut my own belly out.

I'm not really, and you're a fucking knob

>> No.2029931

>>2029916

Rumi was Persian.

There is no such thing as "Afghan" ethnicity. Afghans are an Indo-Iranian people and are classified as Persian linguistically. Afghanistan is an artificial state carved out by the Brits.

It never existed when Rumi was around.

>> No.2029932

>>2029916

>Rumi was afghanistani/turkish

You can't be both. So what was he, a hillbilly terrorist or a kebabmaker?

>> No.2029938

Why an appeal to the English? Why not civilized humanity? By assuming they have some kind of greatness to appeal to, you invite all the unkind assumptions of Iran. Maybe you don't literally invite it, but don't fall for the trap you accuse others of.

>> No.2029941
File: 92 KB, 813x407, IRANIAN FAGGOTS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>> No.2029943

>>2029931
ok cool
>>2029932
he was from the area now known as afghanistan but he moved to where turkey is now.

>> No.2029945
File: 59 KB, 474x475, i_mad_monster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>Why an appeal to the English? Why not civilized humanity?

Since they are synonymous, it makes sense to just write 'English'. It's shorter, and easier on the reader.

Poor jealous yankfag, wants the terrorists to like him. boo hoo hoo.

PROTIP: A lot of the rest of the word doesn't consider whichever crapsack you spawned in to be a civilised country.

>> No.2029947

>>2029931

>Afghanistan is an artificial state carved out by the Brits.

You're welcome.

>> No.2029948
File: 23 KB, 183x122, 03 Fountain mosaic with Islamic patterns_thumb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029896
The whine mentioned in Islamic poetry almost invariably refers to the the Love of God and the intoxication it produces. The esoteric nature of the Taçawwuf discipline is the reason why the common should not delve into it until they've acquired enough knowledge of Islamic exoteric sciences such as Fiqh and Aqeedah.

>> No.2029954
File: 61 KB, 298x443, trolled_nearly.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029948

So why did the Moors irrigate al-andalus and start growing grapes there?

All that feeq and aiqhido shit just makes it look like you dropped a tin of alphabetti-spaghetti by the way. Just saying. You keep it up though if you think it's working out for you.

>> No.2029958
File: 97 KB, 438x450, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Remember, OP: "Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion." (2:120).

You're seeking approval in the wrong place.

>> No.2029960

>>2029958

Sorry, I don't read Qu'ran in translation. It's forbidden.

>> No.2029966

>>2029958

Are you fucking retarded? Does this guy seriously think I'm Muslim? Did you even read what I had to say you retard?

*strong facepalm* I despise Westerners who believe Middle East = Islam. It's like you people believe youth in Iran spend all day reading Korans instead of what they actually do, which is drink underground smuggled booze, curse Allah, goto underground ecstasy parties, and have massive gay anal gangbangs. *sigh* ... whatever, go back to FOX news or whatever the fuck you get your false bullshit on Iran from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFOt8rfiP2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Q5-1MxjYg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgBXQm3B40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiLENQhAtAc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4r_zKVTVo

>> No.2029970
File: 57 KB, 503x500, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029954

Are you questioning that the mention of whine in Islamic poetry is metaphoric or that drinking whine is illicit in Islamic law? Anyway, any law in Islam was broken by people who claim to be Muslims as embracing the Religion doesn't render one perfect.

I am a moor, and we have whine factories here in Morocco, and I can assuredly tell you that, despite of that, the uncontested consensus is that drinking whine is illicit and that people are still writing people where whine is used as the traditional metaphor. Moreover, I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of people who drink know that what they're doing is wrong and wish to quit more than anything else.

>> No.2029978
File: 110 KB, 336x368, 10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029966
Sure thing, brother, sure thing.

Just remember: "Those who love (to see) scandal published broadcast among the Believers, will have a grievous Penalty in this life and in the Hereafter: Allah knows, and ye know not."

>> No.2029980 [SPOILER] 
File: 464 KB, 708x568, trollapple.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029970

>> No.2029985

>>2029978

There's no use talking with you.

>> No.2029988
File: 56 KB, 448x450, 4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029980
Care to elaborate? What made you think I'm trolling?

>> No.2029991
File: 555 KB, 650x643, 9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029985
May I ask you why you find the modern Western world-view to be superior to the Islamic world-view?

>> No.2029994

>>2029991

I prefer the Iranian view. My culture is Iranian, not Islamic, my roots are in Iranzamin not in the deserts of Saudi Arabia.

>> No.2030016

>>2029966
so basically you're saying young iranians are gross little shits, and they probably deserve the repression they get?

Dear Iran,

Crack down on your disgusting citizens,

Sincerely,

America

>> No.2030025
File: 75 KB, 450x446, 12..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2029994
First, there's no such thing as an Iranian world-view. As things stand, the world-view of the overwhelming majority of Iranians is Shi'i Islam. Second, there's no such thing as a world-view native to a certain country. The presence of a world-view in any land was necessarily preceded by the existence of some other world-view. The idea of identifying with a world-view merely because it is though to be 'native' to one's country is a production of Nationalism, a modern Western doctrine, hence my question in the last post. However, I take it that you're referring to Zoroastrianism, but that would put a huge question mark on the way you're acting toward the West and Islam respectively, since Islam and
Zoroastrianism, being both Traditional religion, are far closer to each other than either to the modern Western world-view, the latter being a complete oddity in known history.

Besides, the data we have about Zoroastrianism is insufficient to reconstruct. The same can be said about Greco-Roman religion and we know much, much more about the latter. This means that it's impossible for you to adhere to an Ancient Iranian world-view. Do you think that drinking underground smuggled booze, cursing Allah, going to underground ecstasy parties, and have massive gay anal gangbangs are what Zoroastrianism taught?

>> No.2030039

>>2030025
Zoroastorism never went extinct, akhi. There are still adherents.

>> No.2030042
File: 9 KB, 320x240, lion_barry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030025

Is that an islamic argument? I only listen to Islamic arguments.

>> No.2030049
File: 11 KB, 233x216, 11..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030039
Yes, yes, I forgot about that. Still, it's obvious that our confused friend is much, much closer in inclination to common Liberalism than anything else, ancient or modern.

>> No.2030052
File: 414 KB, 500x519, 4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030042
I think it is. I hope it is. Anyway, that's not important, what's important is what's your saying is not Islamic. You can listen to deluded arguments. Heeding them is another matter.

>> No.2030060
File: 19 KB, 600x323, lion_barry2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030052

I am the Invisible Jihadi! They seek him here, they seek him there, but here's not there, he's blowing up your slag sister!

>> No.2030081

>great leaders like Oliver Cromwell

Great at committing genocide you delusional Arab fuck

>> No.2030098 [DELETED] 

mfw i am related to cromwell

>> No.2030107

>>2030081

Not that great. There's still a lot of Irish people left, last time I looked. There's one lives in the flat below me.

>> No.2030154

>>2029829

Sincerely did I read this post,
Gradually did I feel,
A yearning not dissimilar,
In wishing a state ideal.

A soul that has been moved,
Moves others in kind,
Forgive my brethren,
Pay them no mind.

As not all from Iran are wicked,
Truly not all of us are too,
Let honor not be sullied,
By misdemeanour of the few.

>> No.2030161

>>2030154
Indeed, not all Iranians are like OP, assuming his Iranian.

>> No.2030162
File: 112 KB, 300x400, sadmonkey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030154

>> No.2030176

op as a brit i've also always felt a strange affinity for persians, and definitely after getting to know them irl

i think it's in large part because we have the same kind of reserved cunning, the same sense of high, snobbish culture (incl. a lot of tea-drinking), the same elaborate systems of manners (when two iranians greet each other they'll literally say "please eat from my hand", "i'm not worthy of your soul" etc)

it's a shame we threw an obvious and close spiritual alliance away for a few oil fields, but what can you do.

>> No.2030186 [DELETED] 

>>2030176

>but what can you do

Not label them as sand niggers?

Voice out in their defense when the public forms an opinion of them?

Not accept their discrimination as a societal norm but as an impetus to justify perverse political ambitions?

>> No.2030191

>>2030186

i'm assuming you're the op? iranians aren't actually very common in england mein freund, and you'd also be fighting a losing battle trying to "separate" them from being lumped in with the arab phylum (how would the avg. brit commoner know the difference? your best bet would just to be light-skinned)

it's also hard to sell persians as being a peaceful people because while it's in a sense true (at least since 300 BC) they're also hardcore when it comes to war, scared the shit out of the marsh iraqi arabs by charging mine fields and tank emplacements

modern arab tactics are all ripped off from the persians even

>> No.2030202

>>2029896
>>2029926
wine was used as symbolism. they were talking about the drunkenness from spirituality

fuck, 12 year olds everywhere

>> No.2030205

>>2030176

There are tons of things you could do. None of them you could be arsed to however.

Would you stand on the side of justice when there is only loss to be had?

You may not be the perpetrator of an injustice, but to stand idly by is no less despicable.

>> No.2030211

>>2030205

>You may not be the perpetrator of an injustice, but to stand idly by is no less despicable.

lol it was 60 years ago dude, are you asking me to head a batch of royal marines to effect a regime change in tehran? i would imagine less british meddling would be more desirable to the average iranian, not more

>> No.2030218 [DELETED] 

>>2030202

>mfw you think only 12 year olds are this immature
>mfw you know they aren't 12 year olds
>mfw 12 year olds are actually a lot less racist and bigoted than most adults

>> No.2030307
File: 27 KB, 500x500, Huwa hu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>"People simply don't understand, they don't understand us, they don't understand that this Islamic Republic does not represent me, it does not represent my ideals, my culture, my civilization, my heritage, my history."

This is correct insofar as the current Shi'i/Rafidi system in Iran represents a departure from the Sunni orthodoxy of Persian luminaries like Hujjat ul-Islam Imam al-Ghazali, Salman al-Farsi, Imam Abu Hanifa, Farid ud-Din 'Attar, al-Hassan al-Basri, al-Junayd, Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Abu Dawud, al-Maturidi, an-Nasa'i, etc. etc. etc.

Your civilization reached its intellectual and artistic apex when it was under the aegis of (orthodox) Islam and tasawwuf. Suggesting otherwise and implying that Rasul Allah ﷺ "hated" Persians only betrays your ignorance of your own heritage. /rant

>> No.2030327
File: 54 KB, 1017x433, deprofundis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030154

>> No.2030427
File: 81 KB, 369x450, 7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030307
Can't be said better.

Bump for everyone to read this post.

>> No.2030449

>>2029958
Have you ever read Revelations? The part where it says outside of the thousand Jews that will convert to Christianity in the end times, the rest will all be killed? From a strict theological perspective, Islam should be the most tolerant of the Abramaic religions.

>> No.2030467
File: 104 KB, 491x487, 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030449
It is. Islamic societies have also been some of the most tolerant societies, Abrahamic or not.

The only form of governence existing today, more or less, is modern Western, and we see have no one is allowed to follow their religions, except in the most personal and shallow ways.

This has nothing to do with the reminder you quoted. Some non-Islamic communities are tolerated, but they're not accepted. They're allowed to practice their religions and apply their laws, but both parties know that there are insurmountable difference that can't be dealt with through compromise.

>> No.2030479

Am I on /lit/ right now?

>> No.2030482

Greece and Rome didn't hold back the east so that we could stare at mounds of iranian dust and admire fanaticism.

>> No.2030495
File: 7 KB, 201x151, stop don't be a fag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030449

>Revelations
>Doesn't actually mention something from the Book of Revelation, just something crazy Anlgophone dispensationalist Prots believe.
>Uses that to reach a conclusion.

>> No.2030497

>>2030482
The reason we still have the thoughts of many of the greatest Greek and Roman thinkers is because the "East" held onto them and preserved them as the West descended into barbarism.

>> No.2030505
File: 625 KB, 1149x1600, justinian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030497

Yes, the Eastern Roman Empire.

>You're welcome.

>> No.2030507
File: 24 KB, 474x361, 1302912513369.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

ITT: Ethnocentrism and Nationalists everywhere.

sage for measure

>> No.2030769 [DELETED] 
File: 16 KB, 250x250, countersage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2030507
>mfw

>>2030427

جزاك الله خيراً أخي

والسلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

>> No.2030799

If you wish this poem was translated into English, why dont you have a go at translating it?

>> No.2030808

Oh wow, Iranian self-denial and butthurt has even found its way to /lit/.

>> No.2032529

I'm an American Baha'i OP and I wish your people the best of luck in re-establishing what you once had. I despise the persecution and suppression of Baha'i, Zoroastrianism and other faiths in the Islamic republic.

I understand your people to some degree and enjoy your food and culture. Not all westerners are ignorant

>> No.2033734
File: 155 KB, 700x1039, muraqabah.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2032529
>Baha'i

A curious outgrowth of the Shi'i heresy. I don't really understand the point of you all, though. Texts like "The Seven Valleys" come off as clumsy attempts to cobble together some basic teachings of tasawwuf and pass them off as something original and profound. Why not simply join a tariqah?