[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 47 KB, 364x350, dostoevsky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2028300 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/

so I recently started reading classic literature and I really like it. For now I have read:

Kafka - The Trial
Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
Orwell - 1984
Camus - The Stranger
Dante - Inferno

Also started reading 'A Tale of Two Cities' a few month ago but I kinda lost track of what was going on because of exams, so I put it aside for a while.

Right now I am reading War and Peace by Tolstoy. Any recommondations on what to read next after this one?

>> No.2028315

Oh, neat! Have you raed any Stienbeck, OP??? He'sa really super author, some might say basic, but I'm afraid those people might have they're priorities wrong. He's really great you should read mice and men it's nice.

>> No.2028320

>>2028315

Thanks man! Gonna check it out!

>> No.2028324
File: 39 KB, 354x194, double decker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2028320
I'm really happy for you!!!

I'm posting a photograph this time too! It's super!

>> No.2028325

Catch 22 Heller

>> No.2028336

You plan on finishing War & Peace? You have a stronger will than I, good sir. I got about 500 pages in and was like "Too long didn't read".

Read Catch-22. Read some Hemingway, I would suggest somthing along the lines of The Sun Also Rises or A Farewell to Arms. Read The Great Gatsby if you haven't already.

>> No.2028337
File: 37 KB, 309x475, dostoyevsky tbk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

That's a pretty good spread of literature, OP. Did you like one of the authors more than the others? If so, then check out more of their books. Pic related, it's my favorite book.

>> No.2028348

>>2028336

Ah yeah forgot to mention Gatsby, awesome book!
Gonna check out the rest you mentioned, thanks!
Also War and Peace is awesome so far, so I might check out more Tolstoy!

>>2028337

Crime and Punishment is probably the best in the list for me, followed by 1984. So thanks for the recommendation of Brothers! Any thoughts about the Idiot? Saw that one in a bookstore a while ago and thought about buying it!

>> No.2028355

>>2028348
Reading it now. The Idiot is the complete inversion of Crime and Punishment. Well worth a read, it has had many very touching passages and I'm only a third of the way through it. Dostoevsky's more pessimistic books can be caustic to your sensibilities if you read them for a while, but his other works can be inspiring in a way that few other authors are.

>> No.2028368

>>2028355

I honestly thought Crime and Punishment was quite inspiring. I kinda could understand Raskolnykow. Not the murder, but his line of thinking. Really interesting novel.
The description of the Idiot seemed interesting too. Thanks, might read it after War and Peace!

>> No.2028390
File: 21 KB, 254x400, dostoyevsky notesfromunderground.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2028368
Since it ended on a good note, yeah, it's not too depressing. Here's a better example of dostoangsty

>> No.2028400

>>2028390

So let me guess, this one is pretty depressing? I think I heard about it before, but not what its about. I guess its still a good read though, right?