[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 71 KB, 521x521, libra2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20278820 No.20278820 [Reply] [Original]

Do you like them?
Do you think they're a valid way to consume literature or are hard copies inherently better?
Do you have a favorite?

etc etc

>> No.20278859

I don't want my reading material to require any electronics simple as, so i buy books

>> No.20278863

Books have an innate quality that ereaders don't have. Books are written with the intention that progress can be seen and create anticipation in readers about how close they are to the ending when they look at the pages left. This is a lot harder to replicate on an ereader where it simply gives you a page number.

>> No.20278877

>>20278820
I've realized that what I hate about paper books is the page count. E-readers can provide the amount you've read with a percentage finished which is much better.

>> No.20278940
File: 526 KB, 847x503, 1649711209926.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20278877
Also does anyone have the Nook Glowlight 4? Does it have percentage read now or at least the ability to hide page count?

>> No.20278949

>>20278820
I personally don't care for them but I won't get pissy about anyone who does.

>> No.20279033

>>20278820
If you like reading purely for the texts; ereaders completely destroy books. If you also like the lifestyle aspect of books; paper is the way.

>> No.20279155

The text is all that matters, caring about the format is consooming

>> No.20279156

>>20279033
elaborate, please

>> No.20279168

Books are comfier but ereaders are convenient. I have a shitty one and can even read pdfs if I rotate the screen ninety degrees.

>> No.20279219

I have a kindle keyboard 3 from like 2010, is it worth upgrading to something newer? It works fine, but I've been thinking about upgrading to the voyage, just because of the sharper screen and the backlight.

>> No.20279314

>>20278820
I'm always trying to read more instead of wasting time on vidya and channing, but I've been using a kindle fire that I got as a gift a while back. Basically, it's a hypershit tablet with an LED display that has the kindle name slapped on it, barely qualifies as an ereader.

I've been thinking about upgrading to an actual ereader, but I'm literally fucking Raskolnikov and can't afford to drop $50 bucks or so on a used Kindle if I'm not absolutely sure it'll make reading a better experience. Should I go for it, or should I get a booklight (I love reading in the dark) and convert to paper like a non-casual? I love that I can just download any pdf/mobi/whatever, but I’d give that up if I’m truly missing out here.

>> No.20279360

They're amazing. Especially for studying difficult texts with unusual vocabularies. All the more so for studying foreign languages.

They deserve to be loved and treasured.

>> No.20279382

>>20279314
I have 5th gen paperwhite and it's truly outstanding. Can recommend dropping $40 on it. Free books, ez footnotes, beautiful display, wiki & dictionary, etc.

>> No.20279772

>>20279168
Honestly I respect where you're coming from, but I find e-readers sooo much comfier than physical books.

>Self illuminated (if you want) so no fiddling with lighting

>No making sure your finger is wet enough to turn a page, page turn is effortless and reliable, you barely need to move to flip your page so you can stay in your comfy position.

>No matter the size of the book, you can hold it with ease. Dune and the Bible are as light and as maneuverable as anything else.

>You never have an aging book issue. Unless you're loaded you'll be borrowing from library's, very respectable, but the quality of those books vary a lot. You can borrow with Overdrive and it'll be the same pristine condition every single time.

I get the appeal of paper, and I don't disrespect your preference, but it's somewhat objectively more comfortable to use an e-reader.

>> No.20280310

>>20278820
I bought one of the first kindles back in college, and it single-handedly rekindled (heh) my love for reading again, and got me writing a lot more.

So yeah, whatever helps you consume more literature, go for it. I don't think any form is more "valid" than any other. Hell, listen to audiobooks if you want.
It's the words that count.

>> No.20280340

My kindle on my commute has been amazing.

>> No.20280438

i still have one of these.
15 years, and still happy with it. For what it's worth i has me convinced eink is worth the money. It feels great, with buttons and a full metal construction, with two large bezels , actually designed for either portrait or landscape use , and with a battery life in the weeks not days. I love it!
I've considered new readers before but they were never enough of an upgrade. They can do PDF's (so can mine, but only technically) and have a backlight but thats just not worth 130$. Particularly when the screen is not noticeably better in anything except refresh speed.

I decided notes, and other reader app's would make it worth it, but those are just so fucking expensive! Those Onyx, Remarkable and Supernote ones are all in the 400$ plus range. Frankly i'd rather get a used Surface Duo for the same price. E ink is nice, but not 400$ nice. .

There is something called the MobiScribe Origin which is 200ish, and is maybe worth it, but i have yet to convince myself of that. In fact, if anyone's got the experience or done some the research, i'd like to hear from ya.

>> No.20280443
File: 25 KB, 750x600, it_photo_6077.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20280438
pic

>> No.20280460

>>20278863
Mine fills up a bar at the bottom of the screen, not very hard to replicate...

>> No.20280467

>>20278863
Mine has an ETA as well as a percentage readout. So...

>> No.20280471

you didn't really read the book if you read it on an e-reader

>> No.20280527

>>20280443
I have a nook glowlight 1 but I'm thinking of upgrading to nook glowlight 4 since it's a different decade and whatnot

>> No.20280556

>>20278820
I read both physical books and on an ereader. Although I like physical books, I just don't have much space whereas with the ereader, space isn't an issue. There's many books that are long out of print as physical books and hard to find or expensive, but you can easily get ebooks for them. I like the font size options too. After reading on the ereader for a while then going back to a mass market paperback, the text always seems tiny. I've ended up with my main focus for physical books being books by favourite authors, or books that you can't get as ebooks.

Ereaders don't last forever though: I recently bought a Kobo Libra 2 after my Kobo Glo HD's battery started wearing out after 5 years of regular use. So you need to factor in having to buy a new one every few years. It's important to strip the DRM from any purchased books too. That way, if Kobo goes out of business and my next ereader is a Kindle, I can use Calibre to convert all my ebooks to a format that Kindle accepts.

>> No.20280559

>>20280556
>Kobo Glo HD's battery started wearing out after 5 years
*laughs in chinese*

>> No.20280563

>>20280559
Yep, definitely lower end of the expected lifetime. I did give it a trashing during those 5 years though. I went through 2 different covers because the first one was worn out after a couple of years.

>> No.20280598

>>20280443
Just got this delivered today actually. In the same boat pretty much: Wanted a good e-reader, and the ones that allowed note taking seemed cool, but I'm not shelling out $400 for any of them.

>> No.20280611

>>20280598
can you make a followup thread later on ?
I'm still unsure

>> No.20280794
File: 61 KB, 719x688, 1629581408959.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20278820
>Do you like them?
I read a book every week or two so it's an easy way to spend less money also takes up less space and has nice features
>Do you think they're a valid way to consume literature or are hard copies inherently better?
yes same as with a book you're just looking at ink
>Do you have a favorite?
not really only ever bought one (h2o libra)

>> No.20280821

>>20278820
Ebooks are pretty handy in my opinion. I read them whenever I'm away from home as I'd rather not bring a physical copy and risk damaging it. I used to only read ebooks for a few years until recently when I started collecting and reading more books physically. Ebooks are great but nothing tops the feel of a physical book in your hands.

>> No.20280859

>>20278859
>continues to read on a digitally written, digitally processed, digitally produced book that pages were processed in big electro-chemical factories in his eletrically heated apartement with a electric light-bulb.

huh, so this is the power of ideology

on a side note e-papers dont even use electricity do display, only to change the formation of the particles, thats why the battery lasts so long

>> No.20280863

>>20278863
mine has speakers and every 5 minutes loudly announces how many pages there are left in the 3 most recently opened books (i couldnt afford to deactivate this option on my kindle)

>> No.20280958

>>20280863
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDBzQkWeQ5g

>> No.20281042

>>20279156
not same poster but i agree. ability to highlight a sentence or word and instantly look it up on an e reader is incredible. also ability to store thousands of books on a single device is invaluable to traveling. there is something to be said about a physical book or shelf of them though. it's comfy.

>> No.20281376

>>20280958
holy shit, I'm laughing

>> No.20281388

I've been using an e-reader for about nine months.
What I love most about them is the ability to use a font of my choosing (not just the built-in ones, but a side-loaded font), and the option to change font size.
My vision is impaired so that really helps me a lot.

>> No.20281429
File: 7 KB, 275x183, ants.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20278820
I am fully convinced that e-reader technology is currently not developed enough for e-books to supersede physical books. There are multiple reasons but the main ones are
>In order to have a comfortable reading experience comparable with that of a physical book, you need a screen that is at least 9.7 inches or larger; there are currently only a few e-readers on the market with screens this large and almost all of them are $300 or more (and the ones that are under $300 have significant drawbacks, like low resolutions/PPI, no backlight, etc)
>Competing / inconsistent ebook formats: the two most common brands (Kobo and Kindle) each have their own preferred format (Kepub and AZW, respectively), but the most common, accepted format is Epub. Also, there are no standards for how ebooks should be formatted: even from professional publishers who are making ebook versions of their books (Penguin, Library of America, Modern Library, etc), the formatting is all over the place and there is no consistency in how the ebook is split into sections/chapters, the use of the .epub tag types, the use of embedded fonts, pre-set line spacing and typeface size, etc.
There are only two solutions to this that have popped up so far: the first one is Standard Ebooks; they have a very strict manual of style and formatting guide to make sure that all of their ebooks are consistent and well-formatted without any of the weird issues you get from ebooks produced by official publishers; the only drawback is that they currently only produce ebooks of works that are in the public domain. The second solution is to use exclusively PDFs of scanned books:, since they retain the professional typesetting and formatting of the physical book; the drawback is that you need a very large screen to properly read them, and you lose several features (reflowable text, interchangable typefaces, searchable/high-lightable text, etc). Also, getting good scans of PDFs and turning them into something that can be easily read on an e-reader is difficult, and PDFs have much larger filesizes than other ebook formats, especially when you add OCR; digital storage space is getting cheaper, however, so this last point is not as important.
>This is a more minor point but: digital typesetting on e-readers is currently nowhere near developed enough to rival traditional print typesetting; the quality of digital fonts is wildly inconsistent and the typesetting engines used to render text in epubs and other ebook formats is severely underdeveloped (lack of proper kerning, for example).

>> No.20281680

>>20278820
I enjoy them because I can fit a ton of books on them. I also like the fact that no one can see which book i'm reading.

>> No.20281849

>>20280611
I'll contribute if another thread is made later on, but it seems solid for the little time I've used it. It's the first one I've ever owned, so I can't really compare it to anything, but I'd say it's a good budget option, assuming it isn't being sold for $80-$90 and beyond (I managed to find mine complete for $45 on ebay).
Ultimately it comes down to what you want out of one. If you really want word-searching/defining or any note-taking function, then just save up, cause this one just meets the primary appeal of e-readers (saving space and money).

>> No.20282744
File: 31 KB, 480x360, 23112123.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20278820
>buy cheap kindle
>turn on airplane mode
>get "free" books
Never looked back.

>> No.20282955

>>20282744
I do the same but never turned on the airplane mode, is Bezos gonna break my legs?

>> No.20283009

i prefer books if I'm at home but if I'm going on a month or two long trip an ereader is needed. The problem that I have with ereaders is they're such a fucking pain in the ass to get configured correctly: every book torrent has some dumbass torrent that needs to be configured and only fits like 1/4th of the ereader or it just requires an hour of trouble shooting post conversion to the "appropriate" file type. It's way easier to just buy paper books. There's no way I'm spending $10 or more on a fucking pdf file, so I will never buy anything electronic document wise

>> No.20283025

>>20281429
exactly, this is why i refuse the use ereaders. The differing file formats is fucking retarded and impossible to navigate easily

>> No.20283167

>>20278877
Maybe you should read a book about math to learn how to do this manually in five seconds.

>> No.20283170

>>20283167
I'm not Rain Man and I can't visualize percentages when I see a page count. Simple as.

>> No.20283230 [DELETED] 

I've been reading on 26reads.com on my phone when I'm pooping and showering
I've read a novel and half a dozen short stories over the last month like so

>> No.20283266

ereaders are amazing.

>> No.20283352

One thing I find that I like about e-readers is that they are a very convenient way of reading larger books. I read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell on my Kindle and I've gotta say it was a more pleasant experience than lugging around an 850 page novel. I think I'd prefer physical for average sized books though, that's just all around cozier.

>> No.20283396

Haven't there been studies that people tend to remember the content of books significantly better than digital texts? Having a spatial element, like knowing you are physically in the middle of the book, helps engage structural thinking and helps imprint the text's and its details.

>> No.20283422

>>20278820
I have a love/hate relationship with physical books. Expensive and hard to bring around. I am a uni student so carrying 2/3 current reads for class around is a mess. On the other hand, physical books give me a feeling of superiority.

I use a Kobo Libra 2 simply because I can pirate everything I have ever wanted, and its wonderful for reading outside, in class, in bed, anywhere. Its so easy to pickup and read a couple of pages.

For books that I use as refernece works (spinoza's ethics, three critques, any of schopenhauer), i prefer physical copies if im gonna be flicking back and forth between annotations. Overall, I have a ginormous electronic collection due in part to the wonderful zlibrary, and its hella efficient.

>> No.20283445

>>20283396
yes. retention is better reading from physical paper than it is from screens

>> No.20283490

>>20283396
>>20283445
Interesting. Now that I think of it, I've never tried to read nonfiction on an e-reader.

>> No.20283565

>>20282744
Why do you need to turn on airplane mode? I pirate all my books and swap between my phone and kindle often, and the built in sync keeps the page position for me.

>> No.20283589

>>20283565
I think they have a reasonable fear of updates adding some type of DRM shit

>> No.20283795

>>20279156
NTA but I share hus opinion. I live in south america, getting some books like notes from the underground was a fucking pain so instead I just downloaded them and put them in my e reader. Since it's backlit, it doesn't burn my eyes. I do prefer physical copies for taking outside and the general feel of books. Either way you don't need to give up one or the other, so both are great

>> No.20283852

>>20283396
IIRC the largest study only found an effect on remembering where in the book something occurred, and even that was weak.

>> No.20283870

>>20278820
Alright so I just got my Kobo Clara.

I like it, but I'm missing buttons, USB-C, a 7 inch screen, audiobook support, and waterproofing, so I think I'll return it for a Libra :p

>> No.20283885

>>20283870
It's honestly a really solid feeling and working device, I respect it, but with the Libra on sale, it isn't for me...

>> No.20283886

>>20278820
The feel of a real book is great, but e-readers beat them in every other category, and they're close enough to real paper. The convenience of being able to carry thousands of texts on one device that's easy on the eyes and lasts a long time is great. I was skeptical until I got one myself, they're actually quite nice, much better than reading on a phone or tablet.

>> No.20283899

>>20283870
>waterproofing
Why would your e-reader ever be in danger of water damage? Just don't be a tard.

>> No.20283906

>>20283899
I like the idea of being able to read on a pool floatie with zero worry in the world.

I'm not like my sister who, bless her heart, reads paper library books in the pool. I can't stomach that kind of risk, so I want waterproofing, simple as.

>> No.20284027

>>20283906
kek more pussy than his sister

>> No.20284281

I used to have a kindle because getting the books I wanted in my country was bothersome. Had to bring them from Amazon, wait like a week and pay the shipping fees. So a kindle was more convenient.

Now that I am moving to Japan I can get pretty much any book through Amazon Japan basically the same day for low shipping fees. I prefer paper books. Feels like you are actually thinking.

>> No.20284373

E-readers are cool but I like the tactile sensation of flipping a page and they smell nice

>> No.20284388

>>20280863
Underrated.

>> No.20284447

>>20281429
The books I downloaded from standard ebooks ended up as unusable .txt files.

>ereaders
Self-illuminated text without bluelight on dark mode in a leightweight frame, insta dictionary, carry thousands of books with you, and all it cost you was the hardware, this is as good as it gets. The sheer amount of future that is enshrined in this device. Magnificent item.

>> No.20284466

>>20278820
I'm typing on one right now. Really could use that Giambattista Vico book right now

>> No.20284471

>>20280471
Blow it out your ass

>> No.20284480

>>20283025
>Kobo
>ePub

You will find almost any book in epub format on zlib, especially newer books. If you want the best quality and consistency you gotta pay for kepubs, which are totally sick. They have superior rendering or whatever. Point is they are suoer smooth and they give you tons of useful stats about your book.

But drm will prevent you from extracting your highlights that are longer than just a few sentences. So you have buy the kepub, deDrm it to epub and then turn it into a kepub file again. Its fucked and it is worth it. 'Tism.

>> No.20284504

>>20278859
>>20278863
Enjoy breathing in mold spores, you luddite cunts.
>>20278820
My phone is a huge, so I don't need one.

>> No.20284519

>>20283870
Waterproofing, two satisfying page-turn hardware buttons and usb-c would make the clara the perfect device for me.

>>20283899
Waterproofing is a total legit feature to want to have in a electronic device you consider buying in the current year +7

>> No.20284527

>>20280863
Kek

>> No.20284534

>>20278820
>Do you like them?
yes, love mine. they have some flaws, like lack of usb-c and slow/ugly UI, but the reading experience isnt really one of them
>Do you think they're a valid way to consume literature or are hard copies inherently better?
they both have their pros and cons but anyone saying that one isnt "valid" is an elitist snob. it might be slightly more true if you're using it for comics though.
>favorite?
the kobo libras are cool. cheap, has page turn buttons, and bigger than paperwhite. Once something with those same qualities comes out with usb-c, I'll upgrade from my paperwhite to it.

>> No.20284592

>>20284534
Why do you find USBC that important? Is it charge time? Can't imagine transfer speed being much of an issue.

>> No.20284614

>>20284592
just annoying needing to carry a micro-usb JUST for my e-reader

>> No.20284735

>>20281680
My Kindle Paperwhite (Gen 5) got progressively heavier as I added more, so I'm not currently able to use it until I get somebody stronger to take some books off.

>> No.20285001

>>20283396
Any studies I've seen involving ebooks haven't been much use, as they count any reading device including phones, tablets, and PCs. I'd want to see results just for e-ink devices.

>> No.20285106

>>20278820
i use e-reader and hardcopy books
i mostly use e readers for pdfs and free books i find online. or any books that arent worth buying and displaying on bookshelf

>> No.20285114

I prefer books but I do see 3 positive things about ereaders.

1.) They save on space

2.) A lot of the classics are free.

3.) It's kind of a cool experience reading at night under the covers, especially if it's something from the horror genre.

>> No.20285138
File: 71 KB, 444x333, 1625192462686.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20278820
Stupid gadgets for technophiles

>> No.20285183

>>20279772
He meant comfier on a "spiritual" level, not a technical or literal one. Like the 'vibe' of it.
The feel and smell of a book, hell the sound of turning a page. connecting with something humans have been doing from times when things were less fucked, or maybe from when you were a kid that spent more time reading. maybe 'cosy' or satisfying might be a way to describe it.
As yes E-readers allow better levels of literal comfort in that they do the job better and easier than a book, but its not the same feeling.

Not poo-pooing on books or shilling E-readers as im still a paper guy. In fact I have used a friends E-reader and i liked it, am even looking at them and will probably get one soon, but i am still reading a collection of my paper books and love the calm feeling it gives.
I think it will become a choose which fits the situation. Am i reading because i really feel like going through a story right now (easy quick E-reader will be good), or because i feel like relaxing unwinding (book will fit).

>>20278820
Think the above is semi relevant to the overall question.
E-readers are great, they are convenient and reading on them is great. Books still retain that good feeling. Both are great in situations and you can keep getting paper books even if you have an E-reader.
Also if you aren't against it, pirating and reading on E-reader works well and can save a bunch of money.

>> No.20285546

>>20283396
So what? Retention is for fags. I read to forget.

>> No.20285582
File: 2.40 MB, 4032x3024, 22-04-27 13-19-05 5247.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20283170
Any decent (pictured: Kobo Libra 2) e-reader will have an option to show a progress bar.

>> No.20285686

>>20283025
>buy ereader
>download epub
>works fine
>download mobi
>works fine
>download djvu
>works fine
>download azw
>works fine
>download pdf
>works fine, despite how everyone whines for some reason
ereaders support all sorts of formats. What's the problem?

>> No.20285758

>>20285686
In my experience, pdf are slower, but otherwise it's fine.

>> No.20285917

Reading a book on an ereader isn’t REALLY reading. It’s almost as bad as listening to an audiobook.

>> No.20286249

>>20285686
>>20285758
For me, the quality of pdf depends on it's font. Because if it's tiny and faded, there isn't really a way to fix it

>> No.20286401

>>20285917
midwit take

>> No.20286441

>>20285917
that is an incredibly hipster thing to say, but you're right about audio books.

>> No.20287427

>>20278859
I don't want my reading material to depend on me carrying a paper brick with me
So I read PDFs on my cellphone. Simple as

>> No.20287547
File: 101 KB, 640x747, FBLtXRgXIBoZ5oc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ereaders have a great ROI. I bought mine back in 2016 for about £50 and it still works perfectly. I have NEVER paid for an ebook but I have read approx £1000 worth of books on it.

>> No.20287567

>>20285114
Don't believe the librarian when he tells you that the classics are free

>> No.20287830

>digital books
>free
>physical books
>not free

It's that simple for me.

>> No.20288509

>>20287567
they are though? a lot of them are public domain
and the ones that arent free are like 99 cents

>> No.20288769

>>20284592
Usb-c to micro-usb adapter thingie, 5 bucks, problem solved. But I too long for the days when it all will be usb.

>> No.20288852
File: 637 KB, 752x670, 1631405056637.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a kindle, it's objectively better than books
>can store hundreds if not thousands of books
>no need to waste time going to a store to buy new books, or money delivering them
>backlit
>don't have to hold the pages open
>is compact
>no need to ever spend another cent in books if you decide to pirate them
Honestly people against e-readers are just hipsters or like pìc related, you could argue about collecting ,but hoarding stuff is lame

>> No.20288863

>>20288852
Agree with your point, but I've always hated this picrel meme. It just screams "enlightened redditor atheist", as well as "facts and logic" to me, a young child epically owning old karen.

It seriously reads like "today, I am euphoric"

>> No.20288919

>>20288863
sounds like you're a religious person with an inferiority complex seeking validation by complaining about the boogeyman

>> No.20289031
File: 1.60 MB, 1920x1080, kobo libra h2o.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20278820
Aside from Library Genesis, what are the other sites to get free epubs.
t. concerned citizen

>> No.20289127

>>20288919
I'm literally an atheist and have been since I was a teenager?
I just find the superiority complex that meme shows very obnoxious and I relate it to the superiority complex that many reddit atheists have, as well as just people on Reddit in general but the atheists seem to have it wayyyy more.

>> No.20289152

>>20289031

Myanonamouse

>> No.20289153

>>20289031
epublibre if you speak spanish

>> No.20289174

>>20289031
z-lib . org

>> No.20289177

I have a kindle gen 5
What would be a good upgrade over it? Its starting to show up some ink splotches

>> No.20289274

I get my ebooks off of an automated IRC chat that has never disappointed in delivering every translation and format I've looked for. If you're tech-savvy, you will greatly appreciate this resource
https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/2oftbu/guide_the_idiot_proof_guide_to_downloading_ebooks/

>> No.20289357

>>20289174
that's just a libgen mirror tard

>> No.20289381

>>20279772
>borrowing from library
or you could just use libgen like everybody who isn't retarded. jesus christ

>> No.20289422

>>20289381
I was just making the comparison of someone who borrows physical books from the library with someone who borrows eBooks from the library.

I get all my books from MAM don't worry lol

>> No.20289424

>>20278820
Kobo Libra because pirate books and it runs Linux. I use KOreader instead of the default software.

You might want the smaller one to fit into your pocket if you're about that.

>> No.20289457

>>20289424
I did get the Clara but I'm returning it for the Libra, it's just frankly better in most ways, and the ways it's worse don't really matter that much.

>> No.20289762

>>20289177
Onyx Boox in your preferred size.

>> No.20289785

>>20283899
I prefer having a waterproofed ereader. Not planning on reading in a bath or pool, but it's to protect it from things like accidental spillage from a glass of water.

>> No.20289992

>>20284534
I think the Kobo Libra 2 and Sage have USB-C ports, no?

>> No.20291608

I like them because it’s an easy way to read classics for free and without going to the library

>> No.20292515

>>20284480
>pay for kepubs
What?
Why don't you convert them with Calibre like everybody else?

>> No.20292551

I like them because they are easy to use one handed when I am selling my plasma.
Also Koreader supporting rss feeds is great.

>> No.20292576

Got a kobo libra 2 on Tuesday thinking I'd hate it, but as a compliment so I could pirate ebooks sooner than they arrive from overseas (live in NZ kek, getting certain translations takes a month).

Thought itd be inferior but I actually prefer it to the paperbacks already, much to my surprise. Easy on the eyes, long battery, can adjust the font so very easy to read. I'm pleasantly surprised given the fact I did this as an interim substitute

>> No.20292586

>>20289274
Try doing it via the #bookz link on the /lit/ sticky instead. Even easier than the IRC (I used to use undernet

>> No.20292609

>>20292586
Get into mam, it is easy.

>> No.20292635

>>20292609
What's mam? Will look up when I get home from work. But on phone currently.

>> No.20292641

>>20292635
Private tracker that focuses on ebooks and audio books.

>> No.20292736

>>20292641
Figured thatd probably be it. Will look up later tonight. From a brief search i cant find it but again I'm on my phone at work

>> No.20292764

>>20292736
Installgentoo wiki

>> No.20293183

>>20292515
These niggers were crying about inconsistency on the free side of ebooks, so I told them about kepubs.

>> No.20293637

>>20289152
>>20292586
>>20292609
To people shilling PTs and IRC, do they have rare texts you can't find on libgen/zlib/archive.org?

>>20289357
z-lib has stuff that's not in the main libgen collection, I've found texts on there that weren't in libgen

>> No.20293697

>>20293637
The private tracker is just easier to search and is curated.
Plus audio books, some pulp adventure while you work or a radio drama is nice.

>> No.20293728
File: 91 KB, 779x640, 1548973996789.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20285546
hahahahaha

>> No.20294061

>>20292576
This happened 2 me too. So easy to pirate tons of books.I have 700 books on my ereader.

>> No.20294084

>>20278820
A regular book can at least serve as toilet paper and fire kindling. Try wiping your ass with an eReader. Toss one in a fire while you are at it.

>> No.20294497

>>20292576
>(live in NZ kek, getting certain translations takes a month)

Definitely a big part of the appeal of ereaders here - you can get it instantly, while physical books ordered from overseas can take 4-6 weeks to arrive. I've been watching some Youtube videos recently where people visit used bookstores or charity shops in the US or UK. They sometimes mention how the selection isn't what it used to be, but it's a dream compared with the paltry physical book selection in NZ.

>> No.20294718

>>20281429
Kindle and Kobo are outdated and very old fashioned brands. Any reader that's any good nowadays is made by the chinks and runs on android. It therefore has native pdf and epub support, as well as every single other open file format, with android apps to render things like amazon bought books. Any android app can be downloaded from an app store and installed in it.
Note-taking, manga, and reading via native reader apps or KOReader blow anything kobo or kindle pushes out because both brands believe it's a device for boomers.
The leading brands for Android E-Readers are currently Onyx Boox, which is the cutting edge brand, and Boyue Likebooks, which are slightly cheaper in price point and construction.
If you're looking for something that isn't expensive but will do everything you may want outside of note taking, the likebook mars might be up your alley. Onyx already is making their SECOND generation color rending e-reader and neither western brand have even started messing with it properly. Onyx even has full on e-ink monitors, they're not even comparable businesses.

>> No.20295571

I find it harder to remember things that I've read on a ereader . Being able to pirate any book is obviously a bonus

>> No.20295617

>>20283170
>page 257/699
>page 260/700
>26/70
>about 35%
wtf anon

>> No.20295883

>>20278820
Depends on the books.

For example textbooks and highly scientific stuff needs to be books. For example books like these
https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Concise-Natural-David-Fastovsky/dp/1108469299
https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Prehistoric-Life-Definitive-Smithsonian/dp/1465482490
I would never read those books in any kind of digital way. Especially if books require large space and color an ereader is uselss.

On the other hand every book which is just word, especially stuff like fiction and fantasy, and ereader it is. Ereader are amazing for just reading and I wouldn't even buy or read any text only book outside of the Ereader version.

That's also the reason why it's so tough to discuss Ereader. They are a tool for some books but not for all books.

But if you would tell me to read for example "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", I would instantly pick the ebook version without even thinking.

>> No.20295910

I feel like some of you guys dont even like reading, you just like feeling intellectual.

>> No.20296086
File: 118 KB, 1920x1080, kino.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20278820
My setup
One textile containing everything I want to read.
Here I downloaded 1200 Unicode text, UTF-8 text files with a light (1) curl https://curl.se script. I then (1) fold https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/fold and (1) cat https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/cat them together.
The reader itself is st the suckless terminal https://st.suckless.org/ using the pager https://greenwoodsoftware.com/less..
The pager is where the magic happens, less can do essentially anything as far as paging through text goes.
see man (1) less for more info
All are Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS)
I dislike any proprietary technology and will use FLOSS alternatives when available. Every program listed allows for not only a very clean workflow as everything is text, so I can easily make the output of one program the input to another https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy, but is also massively customizable, both with and without recompiling. But this is perfect for me.
Image file created with Maim https://github.com/naelstrof/maim

>> No.20296254

>>20296086
I'd recommend using something that supports non-monospaced fonts, at least.
I once read a whole book in Emacs using some dedicated package (nov.el?). It was a decent experience.

>> No.20296259

>>20296254
nigga fix yo eyes

>> No.20296437
File: 59 KB, 381x443, A7A4C8A7-3DB1-4FF3-A969-7C5B573E4DA8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20294061
Based, just got a kobo Clara HD and put 50 books on there from z-lib

>> No.20296447
File: 2.26 MB, 1371x1500, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20278820
i bought a kindle oasis and after about a day i got used to it, since then i've preferred it to physical.
it paid for itself many times over as i just pirate everything now. battery is still fine after 7 years and it's still in fine shape because i use it with a case.
i've bought nooks for family as they can read epubs, but i wouldn't say i have a favorite. even a shitty ereader is pretty good desu. just get a cheap second hand one if you're unsure and make sure you get a case to go with it

>> No.20296464

>>20279360
i forgot about this, you can add dictionaries to the operating system and just press on a word to see its various dictionary entries, as well as its wikipedia page if you have it connected to the internet. very convenient

>> No.20296521

>>20292736
https://www.myanonamouse.net/inviteapp.php
if you have an ereader and are not in here then you're doing it wrong.

>> No.20296522

>>20296086
I forgot to mention it works on literally any unix-like operating system (BSD IOS macOS WSL Linux GNUHurd Oracle Solaris HarmonyOS Minix ), and doesn't need a direct internet connection. Complete freedom.

>> No.20296581

What you chuds don't realize is that you're using a Christian invention aka the codex.
If you're true pagans and anti Christians you read on scrolls, alternatively on infinite scroll format on your electronic device.

>> No.20296701

>>20285758
Because PDF is not a text format, it's a format made to print shit, so the PC screen would output the exact same thing that comes out of the printer.

Try to avoid PDF as much as possible in ereaders, it's surprisingly easy to do.

>> No.20296708

my fucking kobo broke the other day
I didn't do anything. Didn't drop it. Didn't spill anything on it.
I just turned it off and went away for a few minutes and when I turned it back on half the screen was black and frozen in place and the cover page was burned onto the screen.

>> No.20296715

>>20289031
Some libraries serve ebooks now. Get one, remove the DRM, and you can have them longer.

I do that since libgen doesn't have many Spanish books.

>> No.20297037

>>20278820
I bought a used kindle so I wouldn't have to buy books. I don't ever want to support corporations, publishers, or writers in any way.

>> No.20297073

probably the shittiest thing about ereaders is that its hard as fuck to flip through the digital pages for quick reference. their UI is in desperate need of a big upgrade

>> No.20297349

>>20297073
Speak for your own device. not all e-readers.

If you remember a single word of what you're trying to reference, on my Kobo, you can search it and just jump to the page. You can also jump chapers, and create notes and bookmarks to jump to later.

It's much easier to reference stuff in an e-reader than a physical book.

>> No.20297390

>>20296708
Was it on firmware version 4.31? That version is shit on the Libra 2 and I had troubles with switching it on if wifi was off. When it hung during loading, to recover it I had to hold down the power button for a while to switch it off, then connect it to a PC to switch it on. I downgraded it to firmware version 4.30 and it's been fine since then, but it has meant I've had to keep wifi off so that it doesn't go and auto-update to v4.31 again.

>> No.20298081

>>20282744
literally me
what are we missing?
i fear that if i turn airplane off my kindle will get ads or some annoying update

>> No.20298161

>>20283396
I don't give a shit about what people will answer you, but I noticed it by myself without even knowing there were studies.
In my personal case this is 100% true.
Still prefer ereaders for its convenience tho.

>> No.20298184

>>20278820
perfect for journals and essays and cs/ml textbooks

>> No.20298193

>>20297349
typing/writing it out for me is the bitch though. i enjoy using real highlighters or pens.

>> No.20298369

Honestly, I have to say, despite very much preferring e-readers, for me I can definitely see one big flaw. Having such a truly massive library just in my pocket gives bigggggg decision paralysis when it comes to actually beginning a new book. I have such a hard time choosing which one and tend to spend way too much time just on my homepage trying to pick lol.

>> No.20298523

>>20294718
Got a Clara HD not too long ago, is it worth returning to get the Poke3? Does the Poke3 have USB 3?

>>20297390
We're on firmware 4.32 now, the latest update works well

>> No.20298747

Any e reader recommendations?

>> No.20298752

>>20298747
Get a Kobo. Kindles require you to convert to azw3.

>> No.20298757

>>20298747
Yeah no Kindle, never. They have terrible value, they're very proprietary in every aspect, and they're harder to sideload than a Kobo

>> No.20298805

>>20298752
>>20298757
Is it easy to add books to kobo? do I just connect it to my computer and drag and drop the files?

>> No.20298812

>>20278863
>This is a lot harder to replicate on an ereader where it simply gives you a page number.
I had the very first Kindle and even it always showed % completion, retard.

>> No.20298818

Waste of fucking resources if you have a phone.

>> No.20298822

>>20298818
Reading on phone sucks ass

>> No.20298830

>>20298822
Only if you have shit eyes. Other than that it is goat. You always have it with you, so you‘ll end up reading whenever you have a few moments to fill. Like on the toilette, when waiting in line or whatever. It‘s small and light so you can read lying down which is the patrician way of reading. Give me one reason why reading on your phone isn‘t superior.

>> No.20298838

>>20298830
>Give me one reason why reading on your phone isn‘t superior.
Because I just said it sucks ass now fuck off

>> No.20298839

>>20298838
Kek, based

>> No.20298863

>>20298747
Get a Boox tablet, I got one to replace my dying Kindle Oasis and it's the shit. Can read epub or pdf with equal ease, which makes it really good for textbooks and poetry (which Kindle sucks for imo). For dictionaries it uses MDICT, so you can pirate a decent dictionary in any major language, even better than the already good Kindle selection. It's my ultimate study tool now.

>> No.20298867

>>20298838
I see. So the only reason is that shitting on phone reading makes you feel superior? That tells me all i need to know about how many valid sources of actual pride in yourself you have.

>> No.20298898

>>20298193
that is very fair. typing is definitely a weak point and I LOVE using stationery

>> No.20298902

>>20298805
>do I just connect it to my computer and drag and drop the files?
yes

>> No.20298913

>>20298902
It's the same with kindle though (if you're talking about calibre)

>> No.20298928

>>20298830
>Give me one reason why reading on your phone isn‘t superior.
I can give more than one...

>Battery lasts 10 times shorter

>You can't read in the sun, and if you're reading anywhere even a little bit bright, you need to turn the brightness up therefore draining the battery quicker

>Harsher on the eyes at night when you're trying to sleep, and even just harsher on the eyes in general

>Smaller than even the smallest e-reader, such as the Kobo Clara

>Easy to get distracted with every other thing your phone does

>Verrrrrry dissimilar to paper

It just makes sense that reading on the device made for reading is better than the device that's... not

>> No.20298936

>>20298913
Fair, but

>Kindle Paperwhite with no ads, $190

>Kobo Clara, refurbished (literally the same as new, and you have 90 days to return) $88

So you spend $100 less and you don't have to patronize Bezos, seems like a no-brainer to me!

Or you could get a Libra 2, better than both of them, and still cheaper than the paperwhite

>> No.20298937

Just ordered the Kobo Libra 2 what am I in for?

>> No.20299328

>>20298937
If the Libra 2 is your first ereader ever, then you're in for a treat. All you really need to do to is download Calibre and install the plugin that automatically converts epub files to kepub. After that you're pretty much good to start reading.

The only complaint I have about the Libra 2 is that its page turn buttons aren't as tactile as I hoped they would be, though I'm not sure if it's just my unit. Either way it's not a dealbreaker.

Some free fonts I recommend sideloading:
Spectral (serif)
Bookerly (serif)
Atkinson Hyperlegible (sans-serif)

>> No.20299351

>>20298928
I charge my phone every night anyways. I read about 4h every day, battery life has not been an issue once.
If you get distracted by other things on your phone then maybe you should not read such boring shit that you aren‘t excited about continue at every possible moment.
I‘m not reading to touch paper. I‘m reading for the content. I couldn‘t care less what it‘s written on as long as i can make out the words.
Those are all made up non issues. If you‘re serious about reading, you read on your phone. Everyone else is just trying to put on a specific aesthetic and that‘s cringe af. It‘s for validation and for attention whores. For those who care about people knowing that they are reading and not scrolling through instagram in public transport and those who want to appear superior because they own a device solely for reading. It‘s pathetic. You already got a device perfectly capable of that. Get an anti glare screen protector and adjust your brightness if it‘s such a problem for your inbred eyes. You seem to have no issues reading and writing a lot of words here on 4chan on your screen, don‘t you? You‘re just trying to rationalize your purchase so you don‘t have to admit that you only got it because it makes you feel smarter than aunt linda.

>> No.20299367

>>20298937
I am torn between Libra 2 or Libra H20. They arent that different in price in my country. Any anons that have tried both?

>> No.20299371

>>20299351
>I've eaten Mcdonald's hamburgers, why would I need to try filet mignon?

>> No.20299397

>>20299371
It depends on why you eat. If you eat for fast calories and the amount of fat, salt and sugar it contains to satisfy your addictions or for health and enjoyment. I read because i want to know more. I don‘t read for the feeling it gives me to sit under the apple tree in my garden and paging through an antique piece of literature. I can see the enjoyment in that, i‘ll give you that but i‘m not im a phase in my life where that‘s what i want to get out of reading. I want substance and knowledge and that i can easily get on my phone for free.

>> No.20300394

>>20283167
Or just learn to eyeball it. Can you not just look at the book and see what percentage you've read?

>> No.20300397

>>20285582
this is why China is winning

>> No.20300412

anyone can recommend a good ereader that it would be easy to use to pirate books? preferably one that has a built in translator? not sure if this is a thing ive never looked at ereaders.

>> No.20300559

>>20278820
I can't carry a selection of books with me when I need my bag on the go

>> No.20301034

>>20298867
Buy an ereader before you talk, you have no clue how different the reading experience is which is why you're posting this bullshit

>> No.20301254

>>20300412
Look into Onyx Boox ones. They're some of the highest quality ones and run on Android. I don't know of any e-readers with built-in translators but you might be able to get an Android app that can translate if you buy Onyx. The closest thing I've seen to a translator are English dictionaries for other languages, so that'll also help translate certain words.

>> No.20301266

>>20299367
Libra 2.

The Libra H20 is essentially the Libra 1, the Libra 2 is an objective improvement, if they're the same price, there's no contest.

>> No.20301683

>>20301266
Thanks, they are the same price right now even if H20 has been lower previously

>> No.20302330

>>20278820
I use ebook reader
books are free
collection is easy to manage with calibre
takes no space

maybe I would like to have a physical library one day but I will probably never own a home lol :)

>> No.20302350

>>20298523
>We're on firmware 4.32 now, the latest update works well

Good to hear. I'll leave my Libra 2 on 4.30 with wifi off for a while longer to see if any issues get reported with 4.32 (Mobileread is a handy site to check that). It's been stable on 4.30 and most of my ebooks are ones that I sideload anyway, so wifi isn't needed for those.

>> No.20302445
File: 665 KB, 920x960, 1573541734694.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20299351
this guy is on the spectrum

>> No.20302458
File: 202 KB, 978x1024, 1581285452562.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20298867

>> No.20302594

>>20302445
Nah I'm on the spectrum, that guy is just a dick lmao

>> No.20303017
File: 180 KB, 950x700, 4354543.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20299351
You have never used an ereader or even seen eink.
You know nothing and revel in your ignorance, all while saying you are too smart.
This had better be bait.

>> No.20303056

What's a reader with a long battery life? I almost bought a Koro Libra 2 but the specs on the Amazon page say it has a battery life of 3 hours kek

>> No.20303071

>>20299351
your eyes are going to be fucked in about 10 years

>> No.20303072

>>20303056
The Amazon page is VERY wrong if it really says that...
>Kobo Libra 2 delivers weeks of battery life (dependent on individual usage.)
https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-libra-2

>What's a reader with a long battery life?
I mean literally all of them. E-Ink is absurdly, insanely power efficient. What will drain you a bit faster is the light all the modern ones come with, but you don't HAVE to use it.

>> No.20303074

>>20303056
Never mind I'm retarded. The selling page was fucked up all over. It said the unit had a weight of 0.37 grams (?????) as well and a memory storage of 32GHz (?????????????)

>> No.20303076

>>20303056
>>20303072
Oh except the Kobo Sage, I've heard it has a pretty bad battery firmware issue. I imagine it'll be fixed, but definitely don't buy it until then.

>> No.20303080

>>20303072
Yeah it was very wrong >>20303074
, don't know how it was still up. Thank you though.

>> No.20303081

>>20303074
link page lmao

>> No.20303326

>>20285582
Also can you hide the page count on the Kobo Libra? The advice I got for the nook was to cover the bottom of the screen with a sticky note (lol)

>> No.20303711

>>20303326
yep, you can hide the progress bar, the page count in the entire book, and the page count in the current chapter

>> No.20303716

>>20303711
fug

>> No.20303885

>>20278820
moon+ reader pro on galaxy fold is the appropriate answer

>> No.20304656

>>20298523
I STRONGLY dislike kobo's lower end models, very locked down and even if you futz with it forever for KOReader or something like it it'll still be underwhelming.

The Poke 3 wins out (for my taste) simply because it runs Android and its specs are really good for the price, with 2gb ram. As to usb 3.0 that really doesn't matter for e-readers since you hardly need the extra transfer speed when book files and even pdfs are very small (large reference book pdfs go up to 150-350mb at most). But it does have usb-C which is very convenient as you can use any phone chord to charge it.

Also it should come in with a built in FTP app so you can transfer it all and manage the folders wirelessly and very fast too. You'll need to use something like FIlezilla on your PC's end for that. If the Poke 3 doesn't come with such an app, you can easily install one from the app store and use that.

I've never needed to use wireless transfers though, USB is very very fast with the file sizes and my Calibre library is around 300 books minus all the reference books and pdf's which I have around 2gb of on me.

Out of sheer convenience of being able to freely browse folders and files and choosing what app opens what, I have a hard time choosing anything that isn't Android.

>> No.20304662

>consume literature

Please, never open /lit/ ever again. If you consume literature, just like other media, you are just a pure degenerate.

>> No.20304729

I've got a galaxy tablet for the s pen and since I've got it, I have read 2 physical books and about 20 ebooks. Being able to highlight and take notes is such an useful feature, not to mention that all I need to carry is one device, and I can use it for all formats, all books, even games and videos.

If I had infinite money and storage space then I would buy physical books. I don't, so I prefer the digital option.

>> No.20305228

>>20279156
He means if you want to be a poseur wanting to impress his visitors then buy paper books so you can put them somewhere to catch dust forever.
If you aren't vain and just enjoy reading for yourself buy an ebook.