[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 553 KB, 1399x2173, htrab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20234293 No.20234293 [Reply] [Original]

Finished picrel, I've never seen anyone taking notes as extensive as the book prescribes. Everytime I've seen this book mentioned it's just anons making the same obvious joke

>> No.20234310

>>20234293
I won't make any jokes. I simply wouldn't want to turn something I enjoy into some sort of homework project. I can't imagine myself reading a novel and stopping to take notes and dissect things piece by piece.

>> No.20234337

>>20234310
I think it's meant for nonfiction.

>> No.20234368

I've read that book. I remember pretty much none of it. I do remember that it said very little, if anything, about fiction, and fiction is all I really care about.

I do try to take notes on my fiction, though it can be a real slog to do so. The last novel I read was about 700 pages and my notes, which were really just summaries, are about 7000 words. That's just summaries, too, no comments of my own. I did keep a separate log of recurring imagery and motifs once for one novel but I don't think it was successful. I highlight phrases that I think are important or poignant in some way on my kindle when I read, but I never return to the highlights, and for pirated books there is no good way to even read them back outside of the kindle.

Taking notes definitely does hinder my enjoyment of a book in some ways. It takes longer to read for a start. That said for books that I take my time over, reading over the course of a month or so, it is nice to read the notes and remember where I was previously. I also have a horrible fear of forgetting long books. They take so long to read that if I were to read it and forget 90% of it, which I inevitably would, it just feels like a waste. So for long books I feel compelled to summarise what I read, but as I say, that also leads to me enjoying the work less.

>> No.20234386

>>20234310
The note taking part applies to expository books that you read to raise your level of understanding, not for books you read simply for enjoyment. And if you're reading a book to raise your understanding then yeah if you're not taking notes you're probably not getting all you can from it.

>>20234368
For fiction they just say "live in the world with the characters", and not to critique it based background things that are established. For example, if it's set in Paris, you shouldn't say "this is bad because it's set in Paris", you should judge it on the plot and the characters

>> No.20234395

>>20234337
It includes a modification of the rules for fiction, it's meant for great books or as it says in the first chapter books that increase your understanding rather than just your knowledge.
As far as I understand Adler believes only about 0.0001% of the books ever written meet that criteria. And he includes a list of the most 150 or so commonly accepted at the back

>> No.20234420

>>20234395
He says 99% of books arent worth reading, there's a few thousand books that are worth reading once, and < 100 that are worth reading multiple times because you'll get something new from it each time (and what those books are will vary from person to person).
I think it's a fair statement

>> No.20234422

>>20234368
I'll just add on to this that my note taking style is basically copied from Swann's Way. In the back of that book they have short summaries of all the important scenes in the book and it's wonderful.

Example for the start of Swann's Way:

Awakenings: Bedrooms of the past, at Combray, at Tansonville, at Balbec. Habit.

Bedtime at Combray: The magic lantern; Geneviève de Brabant. Family evenings. The little closet smelling of orris-root. The good-night kiss. Visits from Swann; his father; his unsuspected social life. “Our social personality is a creation of other people’s thoughts”. Mme de Villeparisis’s house in Paris; “the tailor and his daughter”. Aunts Céline and Flora. Françoise’s code. Swann and I. My upbringing: “principles” of my grandmother and my mother; arbitrary behaviour of my father. My grandmother’s presents; her ideas about books. A reading of George Sand.

>> No.20234449

>>20234422
That's why your notes are tl;dr

Learn memory techniques

>> No.20234472

>>20234449
Mnemonics? How would they help me remember fiction?

>> No.20234565
File: 327 KB, 860x666, rfcerrdrd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20234293
Good. Finally!
Apply the methods on everything you read and it will become natural for you to get the most.

Next: "Creative and critical thinking" by Moore