[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 6 KB, 251x218, 1313719563866.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2022253 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/, is it possible to write a good story involving 4channers or internet dwellers?

>> No.2022258

we've done it before

>> No.2022259
File: 14 KB, 372x300, 2007_05_tao_lin..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

don't test me lil homie

>> No.2022260
File: 23 KB, 150x211, 1312645775238.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Absolutely - half of it would just be masturbation.

>> No.2022261

>>2022258
how so?
>>2022222

>> No.2022287

>>2022258
With what?

>> No.2023479

I think i saw some guy on here a while ago posting his story. It was about two guys (i think one of them was named anon) and they solved internet mysteries or some shit. Seemed pretty kewl.

>> No.2023485

>>2022253
There was a copypasta on /v/ a few years ago that revolved around two anons traking each other down and becoming bros.

>> No.2023487

>>2023479
Haha. I'm still working on that! it's at

pastebin com /FF3SK11s

i havent added a whole lot more, but if you are interested there it is. any critique is welcome

>> No.2023531
File: 38 KB, 314x475, herz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

This book is from 1994 but it's oddly compelling. It's just her memoir of pissing about on the internet for months. Here's the blurb

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"The information Superhighway's bright corporate future may or may not come, but the Net, shows Herz, already has a fully developed and wonderfully idiosyncratic culture. Herz here captures the grungy (if that can be said of the Net's ghostly text-based presence), junk-food and black-coffee, 24-hour-a-day reality of the Net. She describes the endless lines of text messages, the weird Star Wars-like virtual bar-at-the-end-of-the-universe sensibility of IRC real-time chat; the head-splitting fantasy game-like intricacies of Multi-User Dimensions (MUDs); the electronic cross-dressing (no one's "persona" can be taken seriously); and the curious-and sometimes poignant-personalities that haunt the Net's more obscure byways. There's hilarious stuff here: The Alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die newsgroup, dedicated to destroying the "purple pederast"; or Alt.alien.visitors and its loopy discussions of good and bad space aliens; or the "counter-intuitive" cyber-serenity of ZenMoo, the meditative site that rewards its users for logging on and doing nothing ("hair will grow on your palms if you keep typing," says the Moo program). By using numerous excerpts of screen text, the book is almost too effective at recreating the numbing, all-text look of the pre-World Wide Web Net. Indeed, most remarkable is the extraordinary amount of time ("12, 15, 20 hours a day") Herz and other hardcore cybernauts spend staring into the sickly glow of computer screens. Despite coming to question her own online habit, Herz, a staff member of Wired magazine, has written a brisk, funny and detailed homage to Net culture and conveys some measure of its addictive fascination."

>> No.2023534

It's absolutely possible but I don't know if anyone's actually done it

>>2023531
This looks awesome as hell

>> No.2023537

>>2023534
It really is. I've reread it three times and I don't often reread books being as I have a couple of hundred I haven't read yet.

>> No.2023543

>>2023537
It reminds me of this linguist's research I read once. The compelling thing was that she had done a substantial amount of research online, and also a lot of research on nerds at a high school in the 90s, so a lot of her research is just recapitulating & analyzing a bunch of nerdy conversations from 1995.

>> No.2023550

>>2023543
I have fond memories of the internet when everyone on it was intelligent.

>> No.2023558

>>2023550
Sadly, I missed that golden age. I've heard stories, though, and it sounds incredible. Irrecoverable, I guess.

>> No.2023559

>>2023531
that looks great

>> No.2023578

There was a visual novel (yes, I know) a while back that used a 4chan cipher as a chorus between chapters. Had a long ridiculous title and some interesting storytelling mechanics (spy on others' private messages) that was undermined by you being forced to spy to move on and the truly shit ending. Also, about 50 percent of the characters were gay.

>> No.2023580

>>2023578
Don't Take It Personal, Babe, It's Just Not Your Story

I have it sitting on my desktop but I still haven't played it

>> No.2023611

In my novel that involves conspiracies I plan to include a basement dweller who posts on /x/ and is killed because he got the conspiracy right.

Probably have to email moot if I ever get close to publishing. Or make up some shitty obviously 4chan but not sort of site

>> No.2023613
File: 39 KB, 400x615, deletethis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

I guess this is slightly related. The author gets those ridiculous spam emails from "Nigerian princes" and he's made an email account with a fake name to write back to them and he's created this whole alter-ego called "Bob Servant" from Broughty Ferry with a huge elaborate back story.

He engages the spammers and confuses them by making more and more elaborate demands of them.

I couldn't really do it justice by describing it but here's an example on the archived version of his website:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071219204532/http://www.bobservant.com/BobServantEmails.html

I really thought Bob Servant was a real person. I thought that amateurish website looked very convincing. Apparently there's been a radio series of "Delete This At Your Peril" now so Neil Forsyth is open about the fact Bob Servant is fictional, in the second edition of the book, and he's replaced the website with a more professional looking one.

>> No.2023621

>>2023580
That game was actually pretty fucking good, I played it.

It also made me deeply uncomfortable due to certain resemblances to my life.