[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 63 KB, 318x460, 0C8C0EAA-B7F1-442A-9A5D-F595195A33FE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20215088 No.20215088 [Reply] [Original]

What are the biggest takeaways of Heidegger? I’m not really planning on ever reading him. He seems like the boss level of philosophy after you’ve read the Greeks, Roman’s, early church thinkers and scholastics, enlightenment thinkers, german idealism, Schopenhauer & Neetzch, then you read Heidegger. I’m not particularly focused on philosophy in the first place but from what I’ve read about him and Dasein it doesn’t even seem particularly interesting to me like Nietzche does. I mean it’s based that he was a nazi but besides that there’s nothing that gives me any desire to read him. Plus his works are notoriously hard to understand.

Anyway what are the biggest takeaways for someone to know about Heidegger’s philosophy for someone that will probably never read him?

>> No.20215116

>>20215088
Bump

>> No.20215120

He was neurotic.

>> No.20215141

well if you haven't read husserl it might help to have a background in the type of dialogue that came BEFORE his time and then you'll know the kind of questions heidegger is trying to solve (or create)

dasein is important and the most approachable, then his concept of authenticity, and all the meanwhile understanding his absolute aversion to technology and how it effects a dasein
hope it helps, that's the barebones

>> No.20215144

>>20215088
He inspired Terrence Malick, so if you like his work, you’ll probably agree with Heidegger or at least appreciate his ideas.

>> No.20215162

http://orgyofthewill.net

"Or Adorno and Horkheimer. Or Heidegger. One after another, failed attempts at understanding what N had said."

>> No.20215169

>>20215088
Funny you put it as "boss level" philosophy. That might be true if you really want to understand him. But I think even non-philosophers can enjoy Heidegger, if they're given a lot of time to work through the ideas.

>> No.20215185
File: 506 KB, 1579x1600, 1557909796367.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Basically
Meaning of being is a huge issue, he never resolved this even because he could only find one way to interrogate the issue which was understanding being for humans (which he called being for the thing for which being was at issue "dasein" being there)

Nothingness pokes through our ordered ideas in everyday situations very violent reminders of huge underlying issues in our ordering of things

Technology is dangerous it seems to select for itself organizations that limit the opportunity for understanding of underlying structures

Authentic living is very difficult

Art is a synthesis of a view of something while also highlighting the material of the thing, this shows being and the nothingness at the same time. True art is very rare, he thought van Goghs painting of old boots was an example, you see the old deterioration of boots but the paint is in such heavy strokes your vision can't make the material disappear. The vision is suspended between being and not being.

Poetry is the purest form of this suspension and Heidegger thought some of the biggest problems in human understanding could only be solved by poetry because of this.
Which he also implied might be our doom as he thought almost nobody could write proper poetry

Also he didn't do anything wing and refused to apologize for anything

>> No.20215202

>>20215088
>boss level of philosophy
Not a thing.

>> No.20215209

>>20215162
Who’s N? NNigggger?

>> No.20215218

>>20215088
When people say that hes the "boss" of philosophy its not in the way that he's more complex than everything before, just that to fully understand him you need to have studied every period before
Its like reading the final book in a long series, you can enjoy it without reading the previous titles but you are just going to confuse yourself and miss a bunch
I like him, his way of writing and his thinking, and I actually did see him as a accumulation of most stuff I read before. Currently writing my masters on him too

>> No.20215237

>>20215185
What would authentic living be, all I understood was that authentic means understanding your own being/emotions and by doing that you are stepping outside the Daman once you figure out that you gonna die anyways?

>> No.20215247
File: 189 KB, 1500x1500, 1646782286280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>the arbitrary thrownness of existence

>> No.20215265

>>20215247
Im glad that I exist at the same time basedjaks exist
Cant imagine being born before or after this time