[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 55 KB, 882x607, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2020197 [Reply] [Original]

I am 24yo. I received a very very bad education when I was younger, and then I got the chance to move to another country where people receive good education. It turns out that I am intellectually at the level of an average 16yo student there in this new place, and I feel dumb as fuck.

What should I do, /lit/? How can I strengthen myself intellectually? I do not even know what I should learn!

>> No.2020202

Read. Read fiction, philosophy, science, mathematics. Everything. The fact that you even wish to strengthen yourself intellectually is proof that you can. Just remember to read as widely and as deeply as you can.

>> No.2020209

lulz

Start with basic mathematics, precal, calculus, differential equations, and basic sciences, bio, chem, physics. Basically study the sciences as if you were studying for the MCAT. Get the official MCAT guide to see the topics that are covered then get the necessary books to cover these topics.
While doing this, read "high" literature and some entry level philosophy.
Then get to proof based mathematics and computer science, while continuing the literature and philosophy. Then specialize in the science areas you liked the most.

>> No.2020222

>Start with basic mathematics, precal, calculus, differential equations, and basic sciences, bio, chem, physics. Basically study the sciences as if you were studying for the MCAT. Get the official MCAT guide to see the topics that are covered then get the necessary books to cover these topics.

you don't ever want to get laid in your life right OP?

>> No.2020262

>>2020222
I have to say I do want to get laid :)

>> No.2020273

>>2020209
>read a bunch of math and science textbooks
>>>/sci/

>>2020222
how much did it cost to get someone to have sex with you

>> No.2020274

/sci/ has you covered OP. Start where you are comfortable, don't let pride get in your way there.

sciguide. tk

>> No.2020284

>That comic
>Read Marx for enjoyment

I suppose learning the theories is enjoyment and seeing the critique on capitalism being spot on is also enjoyment. But the guy wasn't the best writer. Reading it for enjoyment is something i can't wrap my head around.

>> No.2022143

bump

>> No.2022146 [DELETED] 
File: 57 KB, 300x287, 1307974187651.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2020197

>mfw I find out that women preserve their pussies for me

>> No.2022197
File: 7 KB, 229x220, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2020197

>It turns out that I am intellectually at the level of an average 16yo student

You haven't been at the company of many 16yo students, have you OP?

>> No.2022198

>>2022197
As a matter of fact, no! By that I meant that I am now as I was when I was 16yo :(

>> No.2022202

>>2022198

Ah, well that makes more sense.

>> No.2022209

>>2020284
>>2020284
How much have you read? The first section of Capital is notoriously hard to get through because he really wants to nail down the theory in as thorough and specific a way as possible, but some of the other stuff, particularly when he starts writing about history and the things that were actually going on were quite readable.

>> No.2022240
File: 98 KB, 600x450, hurr_durr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>i am preserving my pussy for more intelligent men

>> No.2022248

>>2020222
says the literature "expert" who spends his day browsing /lit/ and making up cartoons showing his alleged superiority

>> No.2022252
File: 105 KB, 617x617, allah.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2020273
>>2020222

People with no scientific education are the reason why we can't have nice things.

>> No.2022270

>>2022252
Indeed. Like people who think a newspaper would show an uncensored image of a penis.

I'd say people who use the word 'science' to refer exclusive to empirical physical sciences are the reasons why we haven't been having good thing for a good few centuries now.

>> No.2022347

Well, if you want to seem more educated, buy cliffnotes of really famous books, and read synposis (collections of them) of pretty good books. Most of your new douche bag friends haven't read anything either, and are just telling you what their black lesbian jew studies teacher told them.

>> No.2022351

>>2022270
>I'd say people who use the word 'science' to refer exclusive to empirical physical sciences are the reasons why we haven't been having good thing for a good few centuries now.

allofmywat.jpg

>> No.2022369

>>2020222
What a Dipshit you are. "OHHH look at me I'm smart I read High literature. No I can't be bothered to learn some basic math and science stuff. I will rather stay ignorant and pretend to be intelligent."

You are the kind of guy that gets fucked over by all the frauds out there. What Power Balance bracelet ? seems legit

ARGH HOW ANGRY PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME !!

>> No.2022835

read up on critical thinking, logical fallacies, and cognitive biases. even wikipedia can get you decently started on those. even places with 'good' education don't focus on things like this as much as they should.

whatever materials you end up deciding on, set up a bit of a study program where you review things after a while. say, one month then three months then six months from when you learned it. this can really help you go from "hey i read about that, uhh i kinda forget though, something like blah blah blah... yeah i forget." to "yeah i know that stuff." if books have chapter summaries and glossaries, they are useful for this.

also you can do things besides read. i find i burn out a bit if all i'm doing is reading, even if it's stuff i'm interested in. but you can do other stuff like watch documentaries or listen to podcasts. look up ones that have won or been nominated for awards.

taking up an art form for yourself can also help you learn about it. even if you suck, just pick something you'd like to be good at. grab a few how-to books, read em, and practice every day. read up on the greats/artists you admire in that art form.

also, don't slack off. after a while you will probably want to get lazy, just don't and push through that time period and you'll become interested again.

also, make a habit of reading the news from a variety of sources.

also, whatever country you moved to likely has a 'canon' of literature that all students end up reading. read a good chunk of those, even though some are sure to be boring and crappy. if you find yourself ina book discussion, people will always bring these books up because even in areas with very high literacy, not a lot of people read books in their spare time.

>> No.2024423

bump

>> No.2025784

>>2020197
Which country did you move to?

>> No.2025793

Fucking hell, OP, I was really expecting a happy ending from that comic you posted. Fuck you, man.

>> No.2025798

If you went to any public school in the first world you have no one but yourself to blame for reading A Series of Unfortunate Events past middle school. If you were raised in some third world shithole and had to till the fields then I am sorry for your circumstances and recommend you try reading more upper level literature because it is a skill you need to develop if you want to read better books.

However, I advise you against trying to read books to 'look intelligent' in order to impress women, as your comic implies you want to. This will make you such an enormous cock that you'll be a plaque away from an obelisk.

>> No.2025803

>>2022270
>Indeed. Like people who think a newspaper would show an uncensored image of a penis.

Not sure if troll trolling troll or just stupid...

>> No.2025804

>>2022270
>I'd say people who use the word 'science' to refer exclusive to empirical physical sciences are the reasons why we haven't been having good thing for a good few centuries now.

I'd say you're a colossal moron who needs to be chemically castrated. You see, everybody would say something.

>> No.2025812

Read the greats: Hemmingway, Huxley, Pynchon, etc., etc. Remember, it doesn't matter if you understand it, you will seem deep and edgy if you make shit up.

Go to art museums periodically and just stand look thoughtfully at a statue or some shit for 10 minutes.

Doing both these things will give you an air of knowledgeability, but not actual knowledgeability.

tl;dr Become a pretentious dick.