[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.53 MB, 1392x1920, f0affe74-d77a-471b-8955-dd8d557f7813.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20194377 No.20194377 [Reply] [Original]

What is the Ethos of Seneca and what does it have to do with Catholicism?

>Kevin

>> No.20196515

>>20194377
Bump

>> No.20197018
File: 266 KB, 738x804, 3143104854254.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20194377
Seneca quite often talks about the divine and modern translators from Christian cultures normally phrase things which can be easily interpreted as Christian (as I sincerely doubt he reads the original text), so it's probably the same thing that happens with all Graeco-Roman philosophers where insecure Christians (Catholics etc.) delude themselves into thinking the philosophical 'divine' that they are speaking of is the same as their vulgar, worldly-obsessed sects
Here for example:
>You need not raise your hands to heaven; you need not beg the temple keeper for privileged access as if a near approach to a cult image would give us a better hearing. The god is near you - within you - inside you. I mean it, Lucilius. A sacred spirit dwells within us, and is the observer and guardian of all our goods and ills. However we treat this spirit, so does the spirit treat us. In truth, no one is a good man without God. Or is there anyone who can rise superior to fortune without God's aid? It is God who supplies us with noble thoughts, with noble counsels.
See pic related for more, too much for me to type up
But you can see how these fallacies of translation can feed right into Christcuck delusions, even in Anglo translations they frequently cannot stop themselves from translating 'deo' and 'deus' as God, I can only imagine this is even more the case for the Spanish translations

>> No.20197054

>>20197018
To continue, with that pic related you can imagine how someone from that background is convinced that it's the Christian holy spirit, that 'power divine' that is being described coming down from God etc., it's a kind of confirmation bias, but that's the extent that Christianity has infected, assimilated and monopolised that kind of discussion of the 'divine' over the centuries in modern language. Seneca writes a lot like this, so I suspect that guy has coped himself into thinking he's some manner of 'proto-catholic' etc., same kind of way a lot of Christians reconciled the great minds of antiquity by selectively reading texts in the way they wanted

>> No.20198142

>>20194377
Bump

>> No.20198147

>>20197018
based pic-text

>> No.20198171

>>20194377
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism#Influence_on_Christianity

>> No.20198216
File: 233 KB, 657x979, 3148913473194.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20198147
Here's the rest dear anon

>> No.20198219

>>20197018
>>20197018
>>20197054
>insecure Christians (Catholics etc.) delude themselves
>can feed right into Christcuck delusions
>Christianity has infected
>that guy has coped himself into thinking he's some manner of 'proto-catholic'
I see too much resentment within you towards Christianity to take you seriously. Senechism has always been related to Catholicism as was Aristotelianism, almost all of Seneca's Epigrams seem to have been written by Aquinas in his spare time. For example, this one that deals with the Catholic virtue of hope:

De 'spe queritur per exempla Spes fallax, spes dulce malum, spes summa malorum Solamen miseris, qua sua fata trahunt, Credula res, quam nulla potest fortuna fugare, Spes stat in extremis officiosa malis. Spes vetat aeternis Mortis requiescere portis Et curas ferro rumpere sollicitas. Spes nescit vinci, spes pendet tota futuri<s>; Mentitur, credi vult tamen illa--------. Improba, mentis inops, rebus gratissima laesis, Quas fovet et verti fata subinde docet. Sola tenet miseros in vita, sola moratur, Sola perit numquam, nec venit atque redit. Saepe bono rursusque malo blandissima semper, Et quos decepit, decipit illa tamen. Instabilis, dubio devexa ad tempora motu, Audax et clausum quae putet esse nihil, Omnia promittit nota levitate deorum; Nihil fixum et casus admonet esse leves. Naufragus hac cogente natat per foeda procellis Aequora, cum mersas viderit ante rates; Captivus duras illa solante catenas Perfert et victus vincere posse putat. Noxius infami districtus stipite membra Sperat et a fixa posse redire cruce.

False hope, sweet evil, Hope, sum of evils, relief of the unhappy, wherever fate takes them; believable thing that cannot scare away any luck. Hope is active in extreme evils. Veto Hope rest from Death in the eternal gates, and cut restless worries with iron. Hope does not know how to be defeated; everything hangs on the future; lies, but wants to be believed. Perverse, without sanity, very pleasant in adverse times, which she alleviates by saying that fate soon changes. She alone keeps unhappy people alive; alone it endures, alone it never dies, and it does not go away and come back. To the good one often, and on the other hand to the bad one always very sweet; and whom she has deceived she deceives again. Volatile, driven by an uncertain impulse depending on the moment; bold and such, that nothing closed judges. He promises everything with the known lightness of the gods; that nothing is fixed warns, that it is the slight chance. Forced by her, the castaway swims in furious currents due to storms, although he has already seen his sunken ship. The captive, comforted by her, endures the harsh chains and, defeated, thinks he can win. The criminal, limbs stretched out on infamous wood, hopes to be able to flee the already erected cross. 13

>> No.20198352
File: 204 KB, 783x835, 13894713489144.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20198219
My resentment is only towards those whom I regard dishonest in their attempts to warp philosophy and its proponents to their religious beliefs
>Senechism has always been related to Catholicism
As a whole, no Seneca's stoicism does not have a 'relation' with Catholicism, not really. One seeks to liberate the mind from illness, its passions and slavery to externals 'goods' in order to practise virtue in order to attain human happiness. The other seems to reject earthly goods for the sake of divine reward - a joy that comes not now, but after the death of his body, truly it is the Christian that Seneca most aptly outlines of in his description of the mind in suspense for future reward.
The 'relation' is only the most subtle and widely general of features, yes there is plenty in Seneca that can be related to some tenet of Catholicism, this can likely be said of almost everything, but they aren't truly related in any harmonious manner and often the comparisons I see are amateurish, see pic related compared to the entire principle of your 'Catholic virtue of hope' perhaps

>> No.20199785

>>20194377
Bump

>> No.20199793

>>20194377
Seneca was a proto-Spaniard.

>> No.20199812

>>20198352
>The other seems to reject earthly goods for the sake of divine reward - a joy that comes not now, but after the death of his body, truly it is the Christian that Seneca most aptly outlines of in his description of the mind in suspense for future reward.
Read Augustine, and stop stating what you think "seems."

>> No.20199890

>>20199812
Are you truly suggesting that Christianity does not reject earthly goods for the sake of divine reward?
>stop stating what you think "seems."
Would you rather I simply write things emphatically, without room for doubt or possible correction
I am highly sceptical it's not the case however, do you really mean to tell me that this is not a central theme of scripture?

>> No.20199998

>>20199890
>Are you truly suggesting that Christianity does not reject earthly goods for the sake of divine reward?
That's Nietzsche interpretation of Christianity. Which is basically:

>muh you can't believe in afterlife because you are rejecting this life and earthly goods
Which is basically rethoric and psychologism to keep his readers atheists and reject Christianity at the same time. Lol

Also, that isn't the ethos of Seneca.

>> No.20200010

tits

>> No.20200032

>>20199998
How would you describe the Christian's motivation, is it not that the result of a pious and faithful life to spend eternity with God in a higher state?
>Also, that isn't the ethos of Seneca
To what do you refer

>> No.20200092

>>20200032
>How would you describe the Christian's motivation, is it not that the result of a pious and faithful life to spend eternity with God in a higher state?
That is a very basic and theoretical interpretation of the Gospel (which is practical from beginning to end). The motivation of Christians is perfectionism and resemblance to God, on several occasions in the Gospel Jesus spoke of perfectionism (Matthew 5:48 for example)and presented himself as a role model that Christians should imitate and follow his teachings by applying them in their lives daily just for the simple fact that it would perfect their character and make them happy because it's good.

>> No.20200143

>>20200092
I concede that divine reward is only a part of the Christian motivation, but nonetheless it is still the primary motivator, while the personal fulfilment resulting from 'Christly-character', as you would have it, is secondary, if you deny this then you are coping