[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 97 KB, 500x733, Odin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20139117 No.20139117 [Reply] [Original]

What are some good books on Norse paganism? I'm looking for works on religious practices.
>There are no authentic works on Norse religious practices
Yeah I know. I'm just looking for methods for forming relationships with the Norse Gods.

>> No.20139127

>1st post "odin cum" etc.
>2nd post "Ok christkike"
>3rd post "Edda, *some random book about Norse Paganism by a -stein*
>4th post "Come to Christ anon"
There, that's what this thread will be.

>> No.20139165

>>20139117
Odin Cum BTFO

>> No.20139173

>>20139165
Ok KIKE. Go worship your jew on a cross

>> No.20139176

The Viking Spirit by Daniel McGoy is pretty good.

>> No.20139181

Please come to Christ, anon. Paganism is inherently Jewish and Satanic

>> No.20139194
File: 531 KB, 1100x1100, Germanic Paganism.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20139117
dunno but I have this

>> No.20139199

>>20139117
Der Ring des Nibelungen is one big pagan ceremony, just as Greek tragedy was for Greek religion.

https://youtu.be/skIuVzNCyTM?t=8780

>> No.20139202

>>20139117
>>20139127
>>20139165
>>20139173
>>20139176
>>20139181
We did it reddit! we dilated!

>> No.20139237

>>20139117
Study the runes, start with The Runes by J. Hamburger. Historical works on the Norse more often than not contain some accounts of their practices. Start with the major writers who did accounts of the Norse like Tacitus, Sturluson, Grammaticus, then work your way into other works. I myself am still learning and some of this may sound retarded until another more educated anon drops by and helps you out. Trying to piece together the rites and practices of our Asatru ancestors is difficult OP.

>> No.20139244

>>20139237
>The Runes by J. Hamburger
Absolutely do not this. Do not read about ancient Norse history from people who have nothing to do with Norse history or culture. Particular a disgusting yankee mutt.
This poster is most likely a filthy burgerlander shilling his spiritually jewish cancer here

>> No.20139253

>>20139244
I did not imply that OP should take all of these accounts and works as authority, I am giving names and trying to be helpful, unlike your faggotry. As I said in the last port of my reply, it is DIFFICULT to piece it together.

>> No.20139277

>>20139237
>J. Hamburger
That's the most American name I've ever seen

>> No.20139285

>>20139277
Indeed. I should have seen the irony in it before listing it. Completely disregard it, as another anon stated. With that name alone it is most likely garbage.

>> No.20139288

>>20139165
>>20139173
>>20139176
>>20139181
Ok I laughed.

>> No.20139309

>>20139194
oof dude, you know thats a heckin sw*stika in the picture? not cool brochocho

>> No.20139364

>>20139117
I'm currently studying Vikings in Uni. The "source material" you should be reading are the Sagas. I recommend Egil's Saga as it gives a good expectation of the morals and world views of the people you are gonna be looking at. You'll find all the Vikings are just wealthy farmers and sons of giants and half trolls.
If you are interested in pan Germanic paganism (which you should be) read the Volsung Saga + the Niebelungenlied to get the importance of Siegfried. They made massive ruin stones of him so it's worth reading.
The Vikings by Else Roesdahl a dense book on the anthropology of said Vikings.

The more you research of Vikings and pagans the more you are gonna find that the only ones of significance were Christians Cnut the Great + Olaf the Christian, but the pagan elements did exist throughout their societies even post catholic influence. (Coinage with both Wotan and St Peter's sword)

Read the poetic Edda too

>> No.20139771

The One-Eyed God by Kris Kershaw is a tremendous work of scholarship.

>> No.20139826

I'm reading Myth and Religion of the North atm, archive has it available
Idk if it's what you need though, aren't asatru books fairly popular?

>> No.20139888

>>20139364
I mean, aren't the sagas mostly written down by Christian monks and high up bishops and stuff?
how does one disentangle the two? wouldn't they be synthesized in a common zeitgeist?
What can be said to be distinctly a and not b instead of a with some influence of b or b and a sharing something?

Like do they share much in common with the matters of france and charlemagne (I know they were written around the same time and some matters where written in the sagas by the same people writing down the norse stuff)?

>> No.20139959

>>20139888
The Sagas don't have known authors. The point of a saga is for it to be written by anonymous sources. (Though likely Christian) a good deal of evidence can support them being written by a myriad of people. As per being able to decouple it from Christianity that can't be done. Vikings didn't exist in enough of a vacuum to do that. Maybe if they actually wrote stuff down you could, but instead they just had oral traditions that were properly recorded until they were christianized.

>> No.20140124

>>20139117
The sad truth is that too little of our traditions have survived. You will need to, and should, study the indo-european tradition as a whole to get the bigger picture. This is a good thing, because you will find fragments of your truth all across indo-europe. The world is your oyster. I can reccomend Dumezil.

>> No.20140212

>>20139117
Concerning runes:
Freya Aswynn, Edred Thorsson. Got a hunch Jan Fries might be good but haven't read him yet. There are a lot more but many are rehashes of Aswynn and Thorsson with added anecdotes and musings. A guy called Tyriel offers a uniquely interesting, Jung-infused approach to the runes, he's gotten quite popular in the last 5 years or so. Paxson's Taking up the Runes is a massive work of straight-up magical rune practice if you're into that.

>>20139364
this. Galdrabók might be a good read, too. If OP can't be arsed with reading the sagas then the Icelandic film Útlaginn gives a good rendition, feels extremely authentic. Love those cold, earthy 70s colours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7dCDo0da3Y
have to sign in to see this unfortunately

Whatever you do OP, be sure to catch the origin story of Sleipnir

>> No.20140220

>>20139888
>I mean, aren't the sagas mostly written down by Christian monks and high up bishops and stuff?
Yes and no. The Prose Edda was written by Snorri Sturrlson, who while Christian, was just a secular noble. Compare that to Saxo Grammaticus, who was just some dude who was part of a Bishop's Mannerbund; said Bishop took over the Bishopfric of a guy who was given his Bishopfric for fighting the Wends. The Poetic Edda was almost certainly written by "Christians", but even this is a murky term here as you had people openly syncreticising at even the highest levels well into the 1500s. The worship of the Aesir and Vanir never ended in Scandinavia, it just receded from the center of society to the periphery. There were people being charged with the crime of "worshiping Odin" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean in the context of an additional charge levied against a horse thief) into the 1900s.

The attempt to disentangle some kind of pure Scandinavian Polytheism from some kind of pure Christianity is ultimately one that's foreign to the Germanic world and is mostly one enforced upon it by the Vatican as a means of control. Snorri's whole "Aesir = Asia Odin was a Trojan" thing is an attempt at crafting a political mythology for Scandinavia that is separate from the control of the Vatican but just as legitimate. Remember, at the time that Snorri was writing, most of Europe held that a Scandinavian actually couldn't be Christian because they were simply evil and sinful (similar views were held against the Anglo-Saxons at the time).

>> No.20140234

>>20140220
I mean that bit about the periphery literally, there's many churches were Odin, Freyja, and Thor were prayed to after mass. Keep in mind that the idea that these entities "don't exist" is a very modern one, and the views of most Christians throughout history have nothing in common with the views of Christians today. Saxo believed that your body is a meat robot piloted by a ghost, and that when the robot dies, the ghost turns off; Jesus could turn your meat robot back on and restart the ghost. Thus, he was a Christian, because the Aesir and Vanir (who existed) could not provide this service.

To that end, there's not really much need to "disentangle" anything because you can very clearly see two vastly different worldviews here. Anyone interested in the old stuff wouldn't taint it with Christianity, and anyone who disliked the old stuff wouldn't shove Christian themes in either. Even when we get clearly syncretic stuff (like the Christian retellings of Arrowodd's Saga where Thor is a big robot made by Odin), it just becomes that much easier to see it because of how bizarre it is, and how much it HAS to deviate from either norm.

Also there's very little between the Sagas and Romances. They're too separate genres.

>> No.20140244

Bump

>> No.20140362

>>20140220
>>20140234
A few point. Im not as familiar with norse stuff, but I am decently familiar with frankish and some germanic stuff.
>Worshiping odin
that sounds somewhat like the provincial charges set up in places like the borderlands between england and scotland. the charge of fairy arrows in regards to cattle death. and cavorting with fairies and stuff. General impiety charge often connected to custom similar to the idea of "unusual" in the sense of "cruel and unusual". There is quite a record of those types of court cases and at least in scotland (and mind this is scots not norse, so the process may be different) there seemed to be a real synchronism there like a wise women blessing cattle against fairy arrows in the name of the father son and holy ghost and such. And the idea of demons being equivalated and the like. IDK why there wouldn't be, again, from my knowledge most folk belief tended to incorporate orthodox Christian ideas very readily rather than an attempt to keep them separate and distinct in terms of essence and particulars.

Wasnt Saemund studying in monasteries and stuff in like german and italy and was a fully ordained priest? and something about white magic or something? I would only assume he would be pretty well aquanted with scholasticism, the burgeoning romances, and assumadly a rather strong believer in christianity though interests within the older times.

For the difference between romance and sagas, forgive me if I am misremembering, but I remember quite an extent of the sagas were dedicated to the romances though? Like one of our best references I think For Roland is in one.

On the point of troy and the like, that seems pretty similar to period secular speculations usually harkened back to history of antiquity. and the history of troy in specific.

>> No.20140494

>>20139117
Sacrifice of food to a hearth fire and virtuous living.

>> No.20140579

>>20140362
>a real synchronism there like a wise women blessing cattle against fairy arrows in the name of the father son and holy ghost and such.
It absolutely is, yes. It just happens that in the Norse case this sort of thing involves the Norse Polytheistic religion, whereas in Britain it involves Fairy Lore (which is a distant descendant of Celtic and Anglo-Saxon polytheism itself). What the periphery looks like varies society to society. We see this in magic too; there's a lot of magical stuff by Christian Scandinavians where they'll invoke a bunch of Aesir and Vanir, the Trinity, a bunch of Saints, a bunch of angels, and then a bunch of Jewish prophets. The idea being that by invoking as many entities as you can SOMEONE/THING is going to help you.

>or the difference between romance and sagas, forgive me if I am misremembering, but I remember quite an extent of the sagas were dedicated to the romances though?
I suppose that you could make an argument that the Romances, being derived from Germanic and Celtic ballad traditions, are ultimately related to the Sagas, but "The Sagas" of the Norse are generally the collected oral traditions of the Norse populace. They're usually edited and collated by whoever is writing them down (the Poetic Edda has like four stories involving Sigmund and it's clear that the book's writer was trying and failing to figure out a coherent story). Most of them are fairly straightforward stories of a hero, his birth, life, death, and everyone weeping. That doesn't mean that what survives to us is at all coherent, but when it does, it is a very clear narrative, and we do have very many that survive. Beowulf as it survives seems to have been an Anglo-Saxon attempt at making a singular "Beowulf Saga" out of a collection of tales about this one really cool dude.

A Romance meanwhile is a series of disconnected events strung together by a loose "plot" which is mostly just an excuse for them to go around doing cool stuff for seemingly no reason (in actuality it's a demonstration of the power of their virtues). They derived from the Matters of France, Britain, and Rome, all of which are just aformentioned loose collections of cool dudes doing cool stuff (usually checking boxes and going through lists along the way, often of virtues they exhibit or vices that they metaphorically or literally conquer).

>> No.20141767

>>20139173
>>20139194

But why are you reading books written by Jew worshippers like prose Edda and Beowulf? I wouldn’t trust that shit at all.

>> No.20141769

>relationships with norse gods
first thing i want to say; do not drink the wiccan poison of "working with" deities, this is an invalid and unsubstantiated method. there is no proof that germanics and vikings "Did not kneel" before their gods like virtually every vikingbro claims. there are, however, multiple instances of nordics and germans prostrating or bowing before idols of gods. be very careful in your relations with gods, they are not your friends or pokemon like some pagans like to treat them. look to their fruits and you will see how the gods favor their arrogance and uppity method of "worship"

>> No.20141775

>>20141767
beowulf has multiple references to things in germanic paganism which we otherwise know nothing or very little. retards like you are far too quick to throw out everything even mildly associated with christianity; the reality is that much of pagan knowledge was not preserved until christianity had already made a degree of influence on it. the problem now is sifting through it, studying other pagan religions and christianity itself to determine which things belong to christianity, which to paganism, and which to both. but retards like you would have us gawking at stone carvings to learn anything about paganism.

>> No.20141789

>>20141769
>look to their fruits
You mean like the radiance of the sun, the abundance of happiness and life on Earth, the plenty given to us day in, day out, all provided by the deities which rule over the natural world?

>> No.20141795

>>20141775
I know what I need to know naturally through my own connection to the spiritual world. Sorry you’re so disconnected.

>> No.20141826

>>20141795
you do not have a connection, you are naive, everyone says they are connected to the spirit world these days after dropping some acid at a rave, this is an absurdity brought about by the modern age of equality propaganda and low caste rule. study the texts before dare approaching spirits and gods. youre the one who is disconnected

>> No.20142030

>>20141789
He's talking about the fruits of wiccan worship.

>> No.20142056

>>20141826
> study the texts before dare approaching spirits and gods. youre the one who is disconnected

I don’t believe in written dogma. That’s Abrahamic and unspiritual. There’s a reason why the Greeks themselves kept the practises of their mystery cults secret and never wrote them down.

>> No.20142060

>>20142056
Then be a true mystery cutlist and fuck off and leave the gods as they are.

>> No.20142082

>>20142060
Then be a dogmatist for something else and fuck off and leave the gods as they are

>> No.20142256

>>20139194
>Crawford
>Fenris wolf and Garmr are the same
Kek

>> No.20142423

>>20140234
>Anyone interested in the old stuff wouldn't taint it with Christianity
This is simply not true. A number of medieval Christian philosophers argued for Plato and Aristotle having knowledge of the Trinity or it having been prophesized to them, in order to retcon using "gentile" philosophy.

>> No.20142459

The poetic edda is werry good i think.

>> No.20142518

>>20140124
Ye, like ritual horse fucking. We need to bring that back.

>> No.20142736

Why bother "looking for methods for forming a relationship" with "gods" who weren't even powerful enough to preserve their own cults, priests, and worshippers at the first sign of difficulty? What is the purpose, besides playing make-believe?

>> No.20142755
File: 1.30 MB, 1199x901, 1637773619523.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

play unreal world for the raw experience of icy speak chucking

>> No.20142768

>>20142736
covenant theology hasn't fared so well either of late

>> No.20142807

>>20142768
Besides the fact that the entire Western world was initiated into the Catholic Church, and from there has been able to freely choose whether to maintain their membership therein, sure. But without bringing Abrahamism into the conversation, my question still remains - why worship "gods" so utterly ineffectual as to not even be able to perpetuate their own cult?

>> No.20142816

>>20139117
>Snorri Sturluson
Primary sources are king

>> No.20142823

>>20141767
Things like Beowulf and the Heliand are much better than nothing. Read between the lines. If that's sufficient to taint you, it's your own spiritual autoimmune issue.

>> No.20142950

>>20142807
Because Christianity is ailing in the west, so people are put into a position there is no great option. Pick your poison, Christianity may feel too sickly, paganism may feel too inauthentic, foreign religions may feel too exotic, atheism may feel too unfulfilling, etc.

>> No.20142960

>>20142518
I know what you're referring to but you've never read it, are all your views ragged hand-me-downs that bear no resemblance to their original form anymore?

>> No.20142974

>>20142807
>why worship "gods" so utterly ineffectual as to not even be able to perpetuate their own cult
You have some rather "materialist" presuppositions about theism don't you?

>> No.20142990

>>20142960
>ragged hand-me-downs that bear no resemblance to their original form anymor
Christianity? I suppose that would prime someone to viciously misinterpret earlier material to suit contemporary needs.

>> No.20142994

>>20139165
SPBP as per usual

>> No.20143189

>>20140579
>I suppose that you could make an argument that the Romances, being derived from Germanic and Celtic ballad traditions
ah, I was more refering to the sourse documents of the sagas also included other stories such as romances. Like I think its called the saga of charlemanges or something? though I guess thats not romance, but a matter of france. Like its one of the most complete rendition of Charlemagnes life I thing.

>> No.20143235

>>20143189
Not him but you're thinking of the Karlamagnús saga.

>> No.20143240

>>20143235
There's also the (AFAIK) uniquely norse/german Thidrekssaga that concerns itself with the legends of Theoderic the Great.

>> No.20143249

>>20143240
Both are on archive dot org in the original old norse. The former is edited by C. R. Unger and the latter by Henrik Bertelsen.

>> No.20144059

>>20142974
Christians think paganism is might is right autism just like they think witchcraft is a branch of paganism. They have retarded and naive views of the religion. Often in line with how wiccans and neopagans view it ironically.

>> No.20144104

>>20144059
Neopagans and wiccans are mostly ex-Christians so it is often effectively a debate among Christians

>> No.20144189

>>20144104
pretty much. i miss the likes of grimm and wagner davidson

>> No.20144609

>>20144059
tbf, It often is argued with Might Makes Right undertones at its base. Usually its either that, or some appropriation of Jung.

Personally I have a hard time believing that the essence of antiquity style polythiesm can truly exist in a post monadic world. It would either need to be subsumed into a pan/panentheism with its own metaphysics like a buhdism or a Hinduism (and with the former its lack of dogma essentially renders it to atheisms when modernism kicks in), or have very strong dogmas and essential ideas on reality like a liturgical sect such as most abrahamisms and some Hinduisms.
There is a reason why evengelical abrahamism can be so endemic and reoccurring in such a grassroots way in places like america or the middle east.

>> No.20145250

>>20144609
>There is a reason why evengelical abrahamism can be so endemic and reoccurring in such a grassroots way in places like america or the middle east.
you say that like its a good thing. yes your religion easily resonates with low IQ cultureless retards who somehow managed to be both dangerously inbred and degeneratively mix-raced. keep your popularity cult of rape babies and mutts.

>> No.20145396

>>20145250
>My religion
I'm sorry if I'm not interested in polemics with someone who writes about low IQ retards while also acting like one.
I was simply talking about the discursive challenges and trends ive noticed in modern pagan stuff as compared to other religions. unless you disagree that a common undertone for pagan belief is might makes right and jungian psychology. I guess ethnonationalism and hero worship as well. Unless you have something more to add to the religious angle besides copy pasted insults. I think of anything, the hero worship is the most "endemic" and compelling part. But that is something like many aspects of compeling polytheism has that is innately and fundamentally syncretic. A jesus is then another hero, the only difference is that he is their hero instead of ours, or he is ours by another name. which then leads to a sort of universalism in itself.

I am talking about problems that other religions speak to intimately. like ontological concerns. the nature of everything. Being an active believer implicitly on a fundamental level.

>> No.20145408

>>20142950
There's no way out is there

>> No.20145458

>>20142974
>>20144059
then what are the idealist/non material presuppositions? is it a familial piety thing? because at that point, that seems like opening up a can of worms of synchronism.

>> No.20145499

>>20145396
>ontological concerns
what a fucking faggot lmao.

>> No.20145504

>>20144104
>people who reject christianity are usually people who have rejected christianity
Brilliant work there.

>>20145458
Plato and Aristotle alone wrote a whole fucking lot on this subject.

>> No.20145535
File: 53 KB, 480x818, 1624251344577.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20145504
>people who reject christianity are usually people who have rejected christianity
my interest in paganism began as interest in paganism, not autistic REEEEing at christianity. the neopagans who adopt the latter approach to paganism rarely know anything substantial about paganism itself, if you ask them why they do or dont do something they will talk more about why christians are meanie heads than explaining their positions and beliefs. adopting a religion just to spite another religion is spiritually childish and leads to nothing. its one degree away from becoming a leyvayan satanist because grandma dragged you to church. you should love the gods and the myths for what they are and what they teach you, not because they are the opposite of christian gods and christian myths, which isnt even the case most of the time.

>> No.20145541

>>20145499
if you prefer a less wordy words, then: being. The nature of things. What does it all mean. when im on the edge of oblivion and I am fully exposed, what is it about. What are the most important things. full sobriety. In my heart of hearts. etc.

>> No.20145552

>>20145541
plenty of nonchristian religions address these problems, i dont see your point. ive heard it a million times before tho. "Christianity is unique because its about salvation!" not the first religion with that idea. "its unique because its a conflict of good and evil!" ripped off right from zoroastrianism. "it questions ontological issues!" greeks did it first. nothing you have said has convinced me christianity is anything but jewish plagiarism.

>> No.20145555

>>20145535
>oh yeah? well my strawman does THIS!
Why even bother asking if you were just going to get upset and dribble out this Liberal garbage? You're already convinced that you don't need to ever open a book or talk with anyone because you already know it all, and no one in these subcultures is going to find you all that witty or clever for it because, shocker, they do actually know what they're talking about and you don't.

>> No.20145568

>>20145555
>Liberal garbage
nigger its retards like you that want us to throw out all of the old texts and adopt retard shit based on what some crack shaman said in his trailer.
>giving a shit about subculture
lmao. yeah im sure the goth kids raving under the bridge will make good pagans. do you actually care about this religion or do you just want it to become another popularity contest for shit-eating retards like christianity became? trolls take thee and gods reject thee

>> No.20145595

>>20145568
I have no idea what you're trying to get at and it's pretty clear that you don't either because you've reversed your position on this subject twice now.

>> No.20145610

>>20145595
no i havent, your retard ass is just getting me mixed up with another poster

>> No.20145677
File: 30 KB, 328x600, Lindby Óðinn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20139117
>I'm just looking for methods for forming relationships with the Norse Gods.
That seems a bit of a presumptuous goal, anon.
That said, I would be skeptical of any book by a modern, especially a non-academic, or someone who claims to know what the magical practices pertaining to the runes actually were.
I'll assume you've already studied Snorri and the Poetic Edda (though I'd strongly recommend learning Old Norse & studying it in the original; no translations are really adequate for the nuances) and are familiar with what's known about Germanic religious practices from the Sagas &c.
I would then recommend studying better-attested IE religious practices (Greek, Roman, Vedic & modern Hindu) and perhaps some non-IE practices (Ægyptian and Shintou), and then use these to devise your own rite.
Or just find an idol or a grove and start hymning & making offerings. I wouldn't assume that any of this is going to have any great effect though.
Remember also that a prayer is incomplete without a request.
>>20142736
That we live in the Kali Yuga / Iron Age / Skeggjǫld, Skálmǫld, sklidir ro klofnir, Vindǫld, Vargǫld, áðr Verǫld steypisk (mun engi maðr ǫðrum þyrma), that is, the age of continuously worsening impiety, when men turn from the gods and the gods turn from men, is well known principle of Indo-European religion. See e.g. Hesiod on this.
And there can be few things more impious than Christianity & Islam, being religions that literally demand that you worship a god that is torturing your ancestors for all eternity, and be glad that he is doing so. Remember that for original Christian converts, these wouldn't be distant ancestors either, but their own parents, grandparents, siblings, even children whose alleged damnation they shrugged at.
And it's not like Christianity isn't in its turn being replaced with even more degenerate ideologies either.
>>20140220
The Poetic Edda was written *down* by Christians, but the scribes didn't compose the poems, they merely wrote down the oral tradition.
It's possible that some of the poems were composed after the conversion to Christianity (of the poems concerning the gods directly, Thrymskvidha actually is probably the best candidate here), but I'm very dubious that even if this was the case, that those poets weren't working in the older tradition even as they did so.
Most claims of Christian influence on Norse mythology seem to be made by those with little knowledge of other mythologies.
>>20142736
And Christians are literal cannibals!

There's a lot of relevant texts, though some dated or dubious, here:
http://www.germanicmythology.com/

>> No.20145705
File: 2.42 MB, 2055x3089, Hermanubis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20145677
>non-IE practices (Ægyptian
i honestly struggle accepting the egyptians as nonaryans. sure their self-depictions dont always look particularly indo-european but their culture just seems overwhelmingly indo-european, at the very least they must have been influenced by early waves of aryan invaders from the persian foothills. it seems like way too big a coincidence that the romans associated anubis with hermes, who was also associated with the germanic wotan. as far as i know hermes himself has no association with dogs, and yet this odd association of three gods explains alot, specifically the role of black dogs as psychopomps and grave wards which is a much heavier trope in germanic myth than in in roman.

>> No.20145759

>>20145705
There actually is a theory by Frank Kammerzell that even the earliest Ægyptian texts show substantial loans from a language related to Proto-Indo-European.
However, there are some fundamental differences between Ægyptian religion and Indo-European that make me see it as an entirely different beast. In particular, in Ægyptian religion there's no trace of the Trifunctional Ideology, and while the Indo-Europeans (like the Sumerians & Semites, actually) think of Heaven as male & the Earth as female, the Ægyptians think of the Earth as male & Heaven as female.

But speaking of that sort of thing, I *do* think that Japanese god Susanowo is probably cognate to Indra & Thor- remember that the Yamato people were originally horse conquerors from the steppes, whose ancestors probably had interactions with the ancestors of the Indo-Europeans.

>> No.20145800

why does this tryhard nigger keep calling egyptians aegyptians

>> No.20145891

>>20145759
i would agree there are enough differences to make a good case for them not being indo-european, but i am convinced there was at the very least some indoeuropean influences on their early culture. chariots alone are evidence that they at least borrowed some technology from them
i have not studied japanese beliefs enough to speak on them but i have noticed some similarities to other religions.

>> No.20146106

>>20145891
Unfortunately, the Ægyptian adoption of the chariot happened much, much later- at the beginning of the New Kingdom. They adopted them from the Semitic Hyksos who had invaded them at the end of the Middle Kingdom.
>>20145800
Jewish influence.

>> No.20146123

>>20145552
....I literally mentioned those. or did you not read my comments. You seem to be arguing against a strawman I never brought up. I never said christianity was unique in this way, I also explicitly mentioned buhdism hinduism and the other abrahamics in the same catagory, all of which I said had something that antiquarian polytheism didnt in that sense.