[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 150 KB, 800x420, Quill Pens At Dawn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20123287 No.20123287 [Reply] [Original]

>> No.20123288

"Two of a trade never agree". Here are one hundred instances of well-known authors hitting other well-known authors with whatever comes to hand. How fast can /lit/ identify the targets? Hints on request.

>> No.20123293

1)
—————'s books are absent from this library. Just that one omission would make a pretty good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it.

— Mark Twain

2)
Reading ————— is like bathing in someone else's dirty water.

— Alexander Woollcott

3)
I have not read a book (save for a collection of —————’s short stories — miserable stuff, a complete fake, you ought to debunk that pale porpoise and his plush vulgarities some day) nor written a word since I left Cambridge.

— Vladimir Nabokov

4)
Mrs —————'s death was rather a relief to me, I must say; no more —————s, thank God.

— Edward Fitzgerald

5)
Servile and impertinent, shallow and pedantic, a bigot and a sot, bloated with family pride, and eternally blustering about the dignity of a born gentleman, yet stooping to be a talebearer, an eavesdropper, a common butt in the taverns of London... Everything which another man would have hidden, everything the publication of which would have made another man hang himself, was matter of exaltation to his weak and diseased mind.

— Thomas Macaulay

>> No.20123300

6)
A gap-toothed and hoary-headed ape, carried at first into notice on the shoulder of Carlyle, and who now in his dotage spits and chatters from a dirtier perch of his own finding and fouling: coryphaeus or choragus of his Bulgarian tribe of autocoprophagous baboons, who make the filth they feed on...

— A. C. Swinburne

7)
It took me years to ascertain that —————’s work was giving me little pleasure... In each case I asked myself: ‘What the dickens is this novel about, and where does it think it’s going to?’ Question unanswerable! I gave up.

— Arnold Bennett

8)
There is an upstart crow, beautified with our feathers. That with his tyger's heart wrapt in a player's hide, supposes he is as well able to bombast out a blank verse as the best of you; and being an absolute JOHANNES FACTOTUM, is, in his own conceit, the only Shakescene in a country.

— Robert Greene

9)
————— was one of the nicest old ladies I ever met.

— William Faulkner

10)
The verses, when they were written, resembled nothing so much as spoonfuls of boiling oil, ladled out by a fiendish monkey at an upstairs window upon such of the passers-by whom the wretch had a grudge against.

— Lytton Strachey

>> No.20123305

11)
————— is one of the books which the reader admires and lays down, and forgets to take up again. Its perusal is a duty rather than a pleasure.

— Samuel Johnson

12)
A monster gibbering shrieks, and gnashing imprecations against mankind — tearing down all shreds of modesty, past all sense of manliness and shame; filthy in word, filthy in thought, furious, raging, obscene.

— W. M. Thackeray

13)
MR. —————'S MESSAGE
O woe, woe,
People are born and die,
We also shall be dead pretty soon
Therefore let us act as if we were
dead already.

— Ezra Pound

14)
————— is well for a while, but one wouldn't live under Niagara.

— Thomas Carlyle

15)
With the single exception of Homer, there is no eminent writer, not even Sir Walter Scott, whom I can despise so entirely as I despise ————— when I measure my mind against his. The intensity of my impatience with him occasionally reaches such a pitch, that it would positively be a relief to me to dig him up and throw stones at him, knowing as I do how incapable he and his worshippers are of understanding any less obvious form of indignity.

— George Bernard Shaw

>> No.20123311

16)
Here are —————'s piss-a-bed poetry, and three novels by God knows whom... No more —————, I entreat: flay him alive; if some of you don't I must skin him myself: there is no bearing the drivelling idiotism of the Mankin.

— Lord Byron

17)
————— gives the impression of believing that the entire heterosexual edifice — registry offices, ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ the disposable diaper — is just a sorry story of self-hypnosis and mass hysteria: a hoax, a racket, or sheer propaganda.

— Martin Amis

18)
————— is a poor creature, who has said or done nothing worth a serious man being at the trouble of remembering...

— Thomas Carlyle

19)
He was a prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. I admit that some of his scenes, some of his tremendous, farcical rows are extraordinarily amusing. But his sensitive murderers and soulful prostitutes are not to be endured for one moment — by this reader anyway.

— Vladimir Nabokov

20)
He doesn’t know how to write fiction, he can’t create a character, he can’t create a situation... You see people reading him on airplanes, the same people who are reading John Grisham, for Christ’s sake... I’m using the argument against him that he can’t write, that his sentences are bad, that it makes you wince. It’s like reading a bad newspaper or a bad piece in a magazine... You know, if you were a good skater, could you watch someone just fall down all the time? Could you do that? I can’t do that.

— John Irving

>> No.20123313

21)
————— I sincerely believe to be in some considerable degree insane. A more pitiful, rickety, gasping, staggering, stammering tomfool I do not know. He is witty by denying truisms and abjuring good manners. His speech wriggles hither and thither with an incessant painful fluctuation; not an opinion in it or a fact or even a phrase that you can thank him for...

— Thomas Carlyle

22)
I don't understand them. To me, that's not literature. A lot of writers who are considered good I consider strange.

— Cormac McCarthy

23)
—————, most poisonous of all the poisonous haters of England; despiser, distorter and denier of the plain truths whereby men live; topsyturvey perverter of all human relationships; menace to ordered social thought and ordered social life; irresponsible braggart, blaring self-trumpeter; idol of opaque intellectuals and thwarted females; calculus of contrariwise; flippertygibbet pope of chaos; portent and epitome of this generation's moral and spiritual disorder.

— Henry Arthur Jones

24)
It was very good of God to let ————— and Mrs. ————— marry one another and so make only two people miserable instead of four.

— Samuel Butler

25)
Under the dirty clumsy paws of a harper whose plectrum is a muck-rake, any tune will become a chaos of discords... Mr. —————'s Eve is a drunken apple-woman, indecently sprawling in the gutter amid the rotten refuse of her overturned fruit-stall: but Mr. —————'s Venus is a Hottentot wench under the influence of cantharides and adulterated rum.

— A. C. Swinburne

>> No.20123316

26)
The work of a queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples.

— Virginia Woolf

27)
————— nauseates me; he is the very pimple of the age’s humbug. There is no hope of the public, so long as he retains an admirer, a reader, or a publisher.

— Nathaniel Hawthorne

28)
What other culture could have produced someone like ————— and not seen the joke?

— Gore Vidal

29)
————— had a new technique, but nothing to say, unless one counts the literary ballads written for the Irish War of Liberation — in which he took no active part. Instead of the Muse, he employed a ventriloquist's dummy called Crazy Jane. But still he had nothing to say. What will a poor countryman do if he has no sheep of his own to shear and badly needs a warm waistcoat? He will go out with a bag into his neighbour's fields and collect strands of wool from hedges and brambles. This ————— did.

— Robert Graves

30)
A great cow full of ink.

— Gustave Flaubert

>> No.20123319

31)
—————: he has no courage, has never crawled out on a limb. He has never been known to use a word that might cause the reader to check with a dictionary to see if it is properly used.

— William Faulkner

32)
I have been bitten. I must avoid infection
Or else I’ll be as dead as —————’s fiction.
Read his last novels. You’ll see just what I mean:
A lethargy approaching the obscene.

— Derek Walcott

33)
Anyway last night Mr. ————— comes over to make up and we are made up. But on mature reflection I don’t know anybody needed to be hit worse than Mr. S. Was very pleased last night to see how large Mr. ————— was and am sure that if I had had a good look at him before it all started would not have felt up to hitting him. But can assure you that there is no one like Mr. ————— to go down in a spectacular fashion especially into a large puddle of water in the street in front of your old waddel street home where all took place.

— Ernest Hemingway

34)
I grow bored in France — and the main reason is that everybody here resembles —————... the king of nincompoops, the prince of the superficial, the anti-artist, the spokesman of janitresses, the Father Gigone of the editors of Siecle.

— Charles Baudelaire

35)
I’m always sad about ————— — very sad that he has to breathe every day.

— Truman Capote

>> No.20123320

36)
A patient confidant of his long and hopeless infatuation with the Russian language, I have always done my best to explain to him his mistakes of pronunciation, grammar, and interpretation.

— Vladimir Nabokov

37)
I’m grateful to ————— for refreshing all our memories about exactly how pompous an ass he can be.

— Salman Rushdie

38)
Every word she writes is a lie, including ‘and’ and ‘the’.

— Mary Mccarthy

39)
I hope he kills himself as soon as it does not damage his or your sales. If you give him a literary tea you might ask him to drain a bucket of snot and then suck the pus out of a dead nigger’s ear.

— Ernest Hemingway

40)
It is an extraordinary paradox that —————'s sprawling, ignorant, indecent, unmelodious, seldom metrical —————, embellished with esoteric Chinese ideographs — for all I know, they might have been traced from the nearest tea-chest — and with illiterate Greek, Latin, Spanish, and Provençal snippets (the Italian and French read all right to me, but I may be mistaken) are now compulsory reading in many ancient centres of learning.

— Robert Graves

>> No.20123326

41)
A weak, diffusive, weltering, ineffectual little man... Never did I see such apparatus got ready for thinking, and with so little thought. He mounts scaffolding, pulleys and tackle, gathers all the tools in the neighbourhood with labour, with noise, demonstration, precept, abuse, and sets — three bricks.

— Thomas Carlyle

42)
Meredith is a prose —————, and so is —————; he used poetry as a medium for writing in prose.

— Oscar Wilde

43)
I was ever exposed in the twenties and thirties, as so many of my coevals have been, to the poetry of the not quite first-rate ————— and of definitely second-rate —————. I read them late in the season, around 1945, in the guest room of an American friend’s house, and not only remained completely indifferent to them, but could not understand why anybody should bother about them.

— Vladimir Nabokov

44)
Undoubtedly the stupidest of English poets... there was little about melancholia that he didn’t know; there was little else he did.

— W. H. Auden

45)
That last thing isn’t a novel anyway, whatever it is. I don’t like it. Not at all. It suffers from this terrible sort of metropolitan sentimentality and it’s so narcissistic. And to me, also, it seemed so false, so calculated. Combining the plain man with an absolutely megalomaniac egotism. I simply can’t stand it.

— Mary McCarthy

>> No.20123332

46)
Concerning no subject would he be deterred by the minor accident of complete ignorance from penning a definitive opinion.

— Roger Scruton

47)
As to —————, I read him for the first time in the early 40s, something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it.

— Vladimir Nabokov

48)
Saw ————— acted well, though it be but a silly play and not relating at all to the name or day.

— Samuel Pepys

49)
A lewd vegetarian.

— Charles Kingsley

50)
—————'s word-sense was singularly dull. When a person has a poor ear for music he will flat and sharp right along without knowing it. He keeps near the tune, but it is not the tune. When a person has a poor ear for words, the result is a literary flatting and sharping; you perceive what he is intending to say, but you also perceive that he doesn't say it. This is —————. He was not a word-musician. His ear was satisfied with the approximate word. I will furnish some circumstantial evidence in support of this charge. My instances are gathered from half a dozen pages of the tale called —————. He uses “verbal,” for “oral”; “precision,” for “facility”; “phenomena,” for “marvels”; “necessary,” for “predetermined”; “unsophisticated,” for “primitive”; “preparation,” for “expectancy”; “rebuked,” for “subdued”; “dependent on,” for “resulting from”; “fact,” for “condition”; “fact,” for “conjecture”; “precaution,” for “caution”; “explain,” for “determine”; “mortified,” for “disappointed”; “meretricious,” for “factitious”; “materially,” for “considerably”; “decreasing,” for “deepening”; “increasing,” for “disappearing”; “embedded,” for “enclosed”; “treacherous;” for “hostile”; “stood,” for “stooped”; “softened,” for “replaced”; “rejoined,” for “remarked”; “situation,” for “condition”; “different,” for “differing”; “insensible,” for “unsentient”; “brevity,” for “celerity”; “distrusted,” for “suspicious”; “mental imbecility,” for “imbecility”; “eyes,” for “sight”; “counteracting,” for “opposing”; “funeral obsequies,” for “obsequies.”

There have been daring people in the world who claimed that ————— could write English, but they are all dead now — all dead but Lounsbury.

— Mark Twain

>> No.20123336

51)
————— was drunk with melody, and what the words were he cared not.

— Robert Graves

52)
At certain points, reading the work can even be said to resemble the act of making love to a three-hundred-pound woman. Once she gets on top, it’s over. Fall in love, or be asphyxiated. So you read and you grab and you even find delight in some of these mounds of material. Yet all the while you resist — how you resist! — letting three hundred pounds take you over.

— Norman Mailer

53)
Saint —————: a generation trying to read him feels smart about themselves which is part of the whole bullshit package. Fools.

— Bret Easton Ellis

54)
I have been reading a translation of —————’s ‘—————’. Is it good? To me it seems perhaps the very worst book I ever read. No Englishman could have written such a book. I cannot remember a single good page or idea... Is it all a practical joke? If it really is —————’s ‘—————’ that I have been reading, I am glad I have never taken the trouble to learn German.

— Samuel Butler

55)
That's not writing, it's typing.

— Truman Capote

>> No.20123339

56)
Why do you like Miss ————— so very much? I am puzzled on that point. What induced you to say that you would rather have written ‘—————’ [...] than any of the Waverly novels? I should hardly like to live with her ladies and gentlemen, in their elegant but confined houses.

— Charlotte Bronte

57)
Nobody can be more clownish, more clumsy and sententiously in bad taste, than —————, even in a great book like ‘—————’... One wearies of the *grand serieux*. There’s something false about it. And that’s —————. Oh dear, when the solemn ass brays! brays! brays!

— D. H. Lawrence

58)
[A] hack writer who would not have been considered fourth rate in Europe, who tricked out a few of the old proven 'sure fire' literary skeletons with sufficient local color to intrigue the superficial and the lazy.

— William Faulkner

59)
—————’s prose-song is a cold black suet-pudding. We can represent it as a cold suet-roll of fabulously reptilian length. Cut it at any point, it is the same thing; the same heavy, sticky, opaque mass all through and all along.

— Wyndham Lewis

60)
Have you ever heard of anyone who drank while he worked? You’re thinking of —————. He does sometimes – and I can tell right in the middle of a page when he’s had his first one.

— Ernest Hemingway

>> No.20123342

61)
His style has the desperate jauntiness of an orchestra fiddling away for dear life on a sinking ship.

— Edmund Wilson

62)
I am reading ————— for the first time. Very poor stuff. I think he was mentally defective.

— Evelyn Waugh

63)
————— never gets any further than warming the teapot. He's a rare fine hand at that. Feel this teapot. Is it not beautifully warm? Yes, but there ain't going to be no tea.

— Katherine Mansfield

64)
It is a revolting record of a disgusting phase of civilisation; but it is a truthful one; and I should like to put a cordon around Dublin; round up every male person in it between the ages of 15 and 30; force them to read it; and ask them whether on reflection they could see anything amusing in all that foul mouthed, foul minded derision and obscenity.

— George Bernard Shaw

65)
An enthusiasm for ————— is the mark of a decidedly primitive stage of reflection.

— Henry James

>> No.20123346

66)
I am at a loss to understand why people hold Miss —————'s novels at so high a rate, which seem to me vulgar in tone, sterile in artistic invention, imprisoned in their wretched conventions of English society, without genius, wit, or knowledge of the world. Never was life so pinched and narrow. The one problem in the mind of the writer [...] is marriageableness.

— Ralph Waldo Emerson

67)
There are two ways of disliking poetry; one way is to dislike it, the other is to read —————.

— Oscar Wilde

68)
That, for instance, —————’s asinine ————— or —————’s melodramatic and vilely written ————— or —————’s corncobby chronicles can be considered “masterpieces,” or at least what journalists call “great books,” is to me an absurd delusion, as when a hypnotized person makes love to a chair.

— Vladimir Nabokov

69)
How to read —————? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, ————— will have to do.

— Harold Bloom

70)
A village explainer. Excellent if you were a village, but if you were not, not.

— Gertrude Stein

>> No.20123351

71)
Isn’t she a poisonous thing of a woman, lying, concealing, flipping, plagiarising, misquoting, and being as clever a crooked literary publicist as ever.

— Dylan Thomas

72)
In dark times, the definition of good art would seem to be art that locates and applies CPR to those elements of what's human and magical that still live and glow despite the times' darkness. Really good fiction could have as dark a worldview as it wished, but it'd find a way both to depict this world and to illuminate the possibilities for being alive and human in it. You can defend————— as being a sort of performative digest of late-eighties social problems, but it's no more than that.

— David Foster Wallace

73)
He could not blow his nose without moralising on the state of the handkerchief industry.

— Cyril Connolly

74)
Reading ————— can be compared to an indefinite visit from your most impossible senior relative, with all his pranks, dirty habits, unstoppable reminiscences, and terrible cronies. When the experience is over, and the old boy checks out at last (on page 846 — the prose wedged tight, with no breaks for dialogue), you will shed tears all right; not tears of relief or regret but tears of pride. You made it, despite all that ‘—————’ could do.

— Martin Amis

75)
What a man ————— would have been if he had known how to write.

— Gustave Flaubert

>> No.20123353

76)
My moral complaint was that ————— had tremendous, Nabokov-level talent and was wasting it, because he was too charmed by his daily dumps and too afraid of irregularity to take the kind of big literary risks that might have blocked him for a year or two... ————— was exquisitely preoccupied with his own literary digestive processes, and his virtuosity in clocking and rendering the minutiae of daily life was undeniably unparalleled, but his lack of interest in the bigger postwar, postmodern, socio-technological picture marked him, in my mind, as a classic self-absorbed sixties-style narcissist.

— Jonathan Franzen

77)
—————'s writing is no more than glamorous knitting. I believe she must have a pattern somewhere.

— Dame Edith Sitwell

78)
Like a large shaggy dog, just unchained, scouring the beaches of the world and baying at the moon.

— Robert Louis Stevenson

79)
If I knew that by grinding Mr. ————— into a fine dry powder and sprinkling that powder over Conrad's grave Mr. Conrad would shortly appear [...] I would leave for London tomorrow morning with a sausage grinder.

— Ernest Hemingway

80)
Personally I would rather have written Winnie-the-Pooh than the collected works of —————.

— Tom Stoppard

>> No.20123362

81)
Maybe the only thing the reader ends up appreciating about Ben Turnbull is that he's such a broad caricature of an ————— protagonist that he helps us figure out what's been so unpleasant and frustrating about this gifted author's recent characters. It's not that Turnbull is stupid: he can quote Pascal and Kierkegaade on angst, discourse on the death of Schubert, distinguish between a sinistrorse and a dextrorse *Polygonum* vine, etc. It's that he persists in the bizarre adolescent belief that getting to have sex with whomever one wants whenever one wants is a cure for human despair. And —————'s author, so far as I can figure out, believes it too.

— David Foster Wallace

82)
To say that —————'s characters are cardboard cut-outs is an insult to cardboard cut-outs.

— Ruth Rendell

83)
My God, what a clumsy *olla putrida* ————— is! Nothing but old fags and cabbage-stumps of quotations from the Bible and the rest, stewed in the juice of deliberate, journalistic dirty-mindedness.

— D. H. Lawrence

84)
It took me days to go through it, gingerly, a page at a time, and blushing with embarrassment for him every ridiculous sentence of the way. How can they let him do it?

— Elizabeth Bishop

85)
I often want to criticize —————, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read —————, I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone.

— Mark Twain

>> No.20123368

86)
Saw ————— which I have never seen before, nor shall ever again, for it is the most insipid, ridiculous play that I ever saw in my life. There was, I confess, some good dancing and some handsome women, but that was all of my pleasure.

— Samuel Pepys

87)
But I cannot abide —————’s souvenir-shop style, bottled ships and shell necklaces of romanticist clichés.

— Vladimir Nabokov

88)
If it were thought that anything I wrote was influenced by —————, I would take that particular work of mine, shred it, and flush it down the toilet, hoping not to clog the pipes... a more sententious, holding-forth old bore, who expected every hero-worshipping adenoidal little twerp of a student-poet to hang on his every word I never saw.

— James Dickey

89)
I suppose it has to be a great book since it cannot be a good one. The French, who know ————— better than we do, admit his greatness and then sigh 'Hélas'.

— Anthony Burgess

90)
His work is evil, and he is one of those unhappy beings of whom one can say that it would be better had he never been born.

— Anatole France

>> No.20123376

91)
Just don't take any course where they make you read —————.

— Woody Allen ('Annie Hall')

92)
His faults of negligance are beyond recital. Such is the unevenness of his composition, that ten lines are seldom found together without something of which the reader is ashamed. ————— was no rigid judge of his own pages; he seldom struggled after supreme excellence, but snatched in haste what was within his reach; and when he could content others, was himself contented. He had more music than Waller, more vigour than Denham, and more nature than Cowley; and from his contemporaries he was in no danger. Standing therefore in the highest place, he had no care to rise by contending with himself; but while there was no name above his own, was willing to enjoy fame on the easiest terms.

— Samuel Johnson

93)
————— I truly loathed. The way you might loathe an animal. A filthy animal that has found its way into the house.

— Gore Vidal

94)
... This celebrated poem was, I believe, the first to apply the current art-fashion of *collage* to English verse — *collage* being the technique of pasting, say, autumn leaves, bus-tickets, metal shavings, cigar bands, fur, playing cards and artificial flowers on a sheet of paper, in order to create a 'significant' composition. What the composition is 'significant' of, is never explained.

— Robert Graves

95)
... throughout numbingly boring, and for much of the time deeply and extremely disgusting. Not interesting-disgusting, but disgusting-disgusting: sickening, cheaply sensationalist, pointless except as a way of earning its author some money and notoriety.

— Andrew Motion

>> No.20123383

96)
Shakespeare sinned greatly against current morality, but he loved greatly. —————'s sins were petty by comparison, but his lack of love, for all his rhetorical championship of love against lust, makes him detestable.

— Robert Graves

97)
The languid way in which he gives you a handful of numb unresponsive fingers is very significant.

— Thomas Carlyle

98)
Poor —————. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.

— Ernest Hemingway

99)
Then comes ————— with his enchantments, and by his single might checks this wave of progress, and even turns it back; sets the world in love with dreams and phantoms; with decayed and swinish forms of religion; with decayed and degraded systems of government; with the silliness and emptiness, sham grandeurs, sham gauds, and sham chivalries of a brainless and worthless long-vanished society. He did measureless harm; more real and lasting harm, perhaps, than any other individual that ever wrote.

— Mark Twain

100)
Once again, words fail —————.

— Gore Vidal, after being knocked down by him

>> No.20124775

>>20123293
I know Twain hated Austen, so I will guess her for the first one.

>> No.20124999
File: 119 KB, 902x631, Chibiusa Says Yes!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20124775
Yup. Slightly odd that he would hate her as much as he did, while e.g. Ezra Pound thought she was great.

>> No.20125631

>>20123311
19) is Dostoyevsky, obviously >>20123313
22) Is Proust and Henry James >>20123316
26) Joyce, maybe?
28) Hemingway
31) Hemingway again
39) James Jones >>20123336
53) David Foster Wallace >>20123351
72) Bret Easton Ellis >>20123351
98) Faulkner >>20123383

>> No.20125641

>>20123316
26 is definetly about Joyce.

>> No.20126981

bump

>> No.20127086

>>20123293
4. henry james.
19. Dostoevsky
47. Ernest Hemingway

Most of the authors you included are literal whos.

>> No.20127184
File: 1.30 MB, 498x304, We Concur.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20125631
Yes, all correct. 26 and 72 are talking about specific works, but once the author is known, the work is pretty obvious.

>> No.20127200

>>20127086
19 & 47 are right. 4 isn't HJ. It would be a bit mean to call him "Mrs" (although not out of the realm of possibility, haha) but more importantly Edward Fitzgerald died about 30 years before him. I suspect you mean one in the vicinity.

>> No.20127206
File: 111 KB, 498x278, Megumin Says Yes!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20125641

>> No.20127262

>>20123362
81 must be anon, no doubt about it, I've read his "my diary desu" and it fits the description perfectly.
100 is Norman Mailer,

>> No.20127308

>>20127262
81 — Would DFW really call anon "gifted"? And most anons have more modest sexual goals than "whenever with whomever". More like "Please Lord, let me see a real bare female shoulder before I die."

100 — yep

>> No.20127342

>>20123362
76 and 81 are about Updike.

>> No.20127485
File: 97 KB, 640x480, Miyako Says Yes!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20127342
Right. The DFW review is in Considering the Lobster so ought not to be unknown to /lit/. I thought the Franzen comment was harder.

>> No.20127494

>>20123293
2) is Proust.

>> No.20127554
File: 72 KB, 290x416, Nagatoro Says Yes!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20127494

>> No.20127734

>>20124999
why should pound and twain have the same taste

>> No.20127766

>>20123383
100 is famously Truman Capote.

>> No.20127784

>>20127734
Well, suppose you think about Mark Twain, and why he might hate Jane Austen. You might decide it's largely because, as a no-nonsense American male, he has little in common with Miss Austen and little patience with her world-view. And Ezra Pound was a no-nonsense American male, so...

>> No.20127789

>>20127766
Not exactly. It's fun to imagine, but Truman Capote couldn't have knocked down a house of cards if you gave him a baseball bat and three goes.

>> No.20127878

>>20127789
Ah, I confused Capote with Mailer. They both seem somehow similar to me.

>> No.20127880

>>20123332
50) Fenimore Cooper

>> No.20127890

101) Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to _______, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. ________ had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. ________ can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But ________ doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

>> No.20127900
File: 51 KB, 300x300, Konata Says Yes!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20127880
Indeed. The work cited is "The Deerslayer". (D. H. Lawrence apparently called it "one of the most beautiful and perfect books in the world: flawless as a jewel and of gem-like concentration." Hahaha.)

>> No.20127908

>>20127890
Yeah, I thought of him after I posted the thing. (And, in similar vein, Philip Pullman attacking C.S.Lewis.)