[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 9 KB, 270x400, Junky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2010672 No.2010672 [Reply] [Original]

Recent purchases thread?

Today being my birthday I decided to splash out

>Junky by William S. Burroughs

>Sylvia Plath's collected poems

>Rimbaud's Illuminations

>A farewell to arms

>The Communist Manifesto

>Ginsberg's Howl,Kaddish and other poems

>> No.2010696

Happy Birthday.

I went book shopping the other day and found this goodwill donation center that sells books and nothing else. I was surprised at what I found: lots of old books in good condition for 2 dollars a piece. (My only guess is that people die, and then their children who done give a fuck about books just donate the entire collection.) Anyways, I bought:

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I've already read both of these, but the used copies I found were both printed in the 50s and looked quite nice for their age. Plus I couldn't argue with the price.

Also got:

Brideshead Revisted by Evelyn Waugh (I don't know how I've never read this one before, I absolutely love it).

The Antichrist by Friedrich Nietzsche.

I also bought some paperback copy of Twelfth Night because it's my favorite play and I didn't want a copy that's part of some massive anthology.

>> No.2010699

>>2010696
Cheers man. Oh wow,some great finds. I recently bought Dubliners by Joyce myself, really loving it. Would you recommend Portrait?

>> No.2010707

>>2010699
Some people find it difficult, I'm not totally sure why. It's not that long of a read and I always enjoy books from that period of time. It's been republished like a hundred times for a reason.

>> No.2010711

>>2010707
>Some people find it difficult, I'm not totally sure why
Technically, it's pretty amazing stuff. It goes over your head unless you are acquianted with the stylistic things he was doing. It took me ages to appreciate it.

>> No.2010715

I just ordered:

>A Winter Book: Selected Stories by Tove Jansson
>Nadja by Andre Breton
>Rickshaw by She Lao
>The Assistant by Robert Walser
>Anna Edes by Dezso Kosztolanyi
>The Last Days by Raymond Quenueau

Also ordered books for my classes this semester - some Eugene O'Neill, Sam Shepard, David Mamet, a Noh play anthology, Aeschylus, Euripides, Elizabet Gaskell, Dickens, and Charlotte Bronte. Should be a fun semester.

>> No.2010721

>>2010715
>The Assistant by Robert Walser

Have you read anything else by Walser? I couldn't enjoy Jakob von Gunten but The Assistant has piqued my interest.

>> No.2010727

I found a well-stocked but terribly disorganized used bookstore while apartment-hunting this week, and picked up:
>"The Life of Samuel Johnson" by James Boswell
>"Theatre of the Absurd" by Martin Esslin
>"Beyond the Cold War" by E. P. Thompson
>Gibbon's "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"

The latter two were on the dollar self!

>> No.2010729

>>2010721
I've read Jakob von Gunten and a few of his short stories and loved them all, though what I read of his stories seemed a little at odds with Jakob von Gunten. They were much more surreal and, not optimistic, but with a kind of frivolity or wonder to them, I guess. I read somewhere that there's a bit of a divide between his novels and stories though, so I'm guessing The Assistant will be more like Jakob von Gunten. I'm excited for it though! What didn't you like about Jakob von Gunten?

>> No.2010869

I bought at a Waldenbooks closing sale Brave New World and The Stranger.

I'm reading the former (it's okay, but it got a little confusing when it became single-sentence paragraphs switching between conversations), and I'm hoping the latter will actually tell me what extestentialism is.

>> No.2010888

> Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
> Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.
> Frankenstein by Mary Shelly
> Dracula by Bram Stroker
> Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
> Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
> Sex on the Moon by Ben Mezrich

>> No.2010898

>>2010672
Big Sur - Kerouac.

I'm kind of looking forward to it. I liked On The Road and Dharma Bums.

>> No.2010920

Mason and Dixon - Pynchon
The Third Man - Greene
Breakfast at Tiffany's - Capote

>> No.2010921
File: 24 KB, 236x400, rules for radicals.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1. I got another Orwell journalism piece, The Road to Wigan Pier.
2. I got Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky

And less recently I got two fiction classics I don't know when I'll be able to get around to.
The Castle - Kafka
Candide - Voltaire

>>2010898
I considered getting that one too. Not sure how I'd take it though. Is his stuff anything like Bukowski?

>> No.2010930

1. 2666 by Roberto Bolaño
2. Rant Chuck Palahniuk

>> No.2010944
File: 1.29 MB, 972x1934, spree.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Received:
Notes
Nausea
The Train
And Dubliners.
Reading the train

>> No.2010983

Gilles Hénault - Signals for Seers
Bliss Carman - Pipes of Pan
Italo Calvino - Numbers in the Dark
Iain Banks - Complicity

>> No.2010987
File: 30 KB, 640x480, aldi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I went in to Aldi to pick up a few things and get cash out for the local market where I was going to trade-in some books. Somehow I ended up coming out of Aldi with Thomas Hardy's "Far From The Madding Crowd" and Len Deighton's "The Ipcress File" and no cash out because nobody knows how to handle Visa Debit cards and Eftpos.

And then I didn't bother to go to the market because it was a sunny day and everybody and their dog was already there so there weren't any places to park.

Yet I have delicious Aldi chocolate, so it all balanced out in the end.

THE END

>> No.2011922

bump

>> No.2011931

Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon
Post Office by Bukowski (read it before, but I lost it and wanted to have it)
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel
Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby, Jr.
Heart of a Dog by Bulgakov (already finished, great book)

And from the library I picked up Yeats' Selected Poetry, Prose, and Drama, a collection of Orwell essays called All Art Is Propaganda, and a collection of essays by Gass titled Tests of Time.

>> No.2011940

J. Robert Oppenheimer, by Abraham Pais.
For The Love of Physics, by Walter Lewin.
Reveries of a solitary walker, J.J Rousseau
The World Without Us, Alan Weisman.

Judge me.