[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 320 KB, 800x1022, 800px-Arthur_Schopenhauer_Portrait_by_Ludwig_Sigismund_Ruhl_1815.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20101971 No.20101971 [Reply] [Original]

How do I read Schopenhauer? Do I read the works of the people he was influenced by, first? That would take a whole lot of time. Is there a way to circumvent that? Also what book of his should I read first?

>> No.20101981

Read the wikipedia of Kant or he will make less sense. In the grand scheme of things getting good at philosophy you need to understand a lot of philosophers and how they tie together. Plato would be his second biggest influence.

>> No.20102036

>>20101981
>Read the wikipedia of Kant
Would that really be enough to understand Kant?
>getting good at philosophy you need to understand a lot of philosophers and how they tie together.
How did people in the past do it? I can't find any time because of my job. Did philosophers in the past get paid good money for just reading others' works? If I go back to college, would I get paid too for it? But philosophy graduates say they don't get paid enough.

>> No.20102045

I read Studies in Pessimism by Schoppy with no background reading or knowledge of philosophy or IQ above room temperature. Just read it, brother

>> No.20102052

>>20102036
>Did philosophers in the past get paid good money for just reading others' works?
Absolutely not, and it’s hilarious how you’re implying that that’s all “philosophers” in the past have done. If you're just reading the works of other philosophers, congratulations. You’re a 4chan neet. Join the club. I wish we were getting paid just for reading the works of philosophers. I don’t think you understand how a market economy works.

>> No.20102249

>>20102052
Then how did they find the time to read and learn philosophy?

>> No.20102254

>>20102249
born into wealth, or they had a job and portioned the majority of their free time towards philosophy

>> No.20102261

>>20102036
>How did people in the past do it?
They were rich, or at the very leat has a job that enabled them to spend a lot of time reading philosphy.

Philosophy is for the privileged, not the masses, I don't like it but it's just how it is.

>> No.20102589

holy fuck everyone in this thread looks like drooling mouth breathing fucking knuckle draggers right now

everyone starts with plato, get a good dose of the greeks before Kant but you can scrape by without much being lost if you get a good analogy or two

if you read kant without prior knowledge of hume and a posterior reading of Fichte (and to a lesser extent Hegel) you will miss 50% of what Schope is trying to tell you.

it's also extremely important to understand the time that schope was growing up in when writing his works, the death of his father, etc. so try to find works that he would have read, as you read the works they inspired

for example his reading of the vedas later in life influenced a shit ton of material and essays , and his reading of the origin of species most likely inspired the world as will and representation

happy hunting

>> No.20102630

>>20101971
He literally tell you in the introduction to read Kant and his uni disertation on the PSR. I've read both before starting him, but honestly you can do it with just the disertation (which is short, but a must)

>> No.20102688

I literally only studied Kant on the internet, read the wikipedia and some other articles. Got familiarized with the concepts and terminologies, and I understood everything from The World as Will and Representation. After reading it twice (as Schop himself recommends), I've grown quite interested in reading Kant. Perhaps you'd want to get familiar with Plato beforehand as well, but Kant is enough to understand Schopenhauer as a whole.

>> No.20103481

>>20102249
By also teaching, writing, or just by being independently wealthy

>> No.20103530
File: 22 KB, 336x499, Wagner's Beethoven (1870).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20101971
Wagner improved Schopenhauer.

>> No.20103763
File: 1.02 MB, 750x750, black queen ice cream.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20101971
real wisdom is for all time. you don't need to historicize him. just read him

the Penguin Classics Essays & Aphorisms is a great start

the Saunders translation of The Wisdom of Life and Counsels and Maxims is also good

>> No.20103856

What's the link between Kant and Schopenhaur? I tried Kant and wasn't interested, read some Schopenhaur and was immediately hooked and have been reading him ever since. What am I supposed to be missing that Kant provides?

>> No.20103875

>>20103856
>What am I supposed to be missing that Kant provides?
The entire framework of transcendental idealism. Granted, Schopenhauer came up with his own arguments for it, but without Kant we would never have Schop, a fact he repeatedly acknowledges.

>> No.20103889

>>20103875
Gotcha. Sighing and downloading Kant again

>> No.20103909

>>20101971
Start with the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason then move on to The World as Will and Representation. The latter book is a mostly self-contained exposition of his entire philosophy except for the former book which he literally tells you to go read first.

A quick perusal of Kant and Plato's main ideas should be sufficient to grasp the context of his ideas.