[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 74 KB, 549x780, _104525579_tweetphoto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20099437 No.20099437[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Any books discussing the effect of technology upon the modern mind?

>> No.20099457
File: 62 KB, 907x1360, una.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only good one

>> No.20099460
File: 508 KB, 1819x2089, 1647891081516.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sein und Zeit

>> No.20099468

>>20099457
This, and best read Rousseau for good measure

>> No.20099500

>>20099460
I fucking hate this girl's desing. Why are anime characters so nauseatingly over-stylized nowadays?

>> No.20099596

>>20099437
It's quite frightening to consider the massive difference in way of life between the generations leading up to, say, the 1990s, and those which came after. Before the 1990s there was a sense of historical continuity, which began to erode in the early 20th century but was present nevertheless. A man living in Shakespeare's time would much the same upbringing as a man in the Victorian or Georgian eras, though of course with some alterations.
Now it seems there has been a massive rupture due to technology. The way we live has completely changed. Little kids grow up with iPads and get their social interaction from online video games or social media. We spend most of our time looking at screens.
Some people say it affected our attention spans, but I think it's much more than that. It restructured our entire worldview. It changed us in our very natures, making us into transhumanist cyborgs rather than human beings. We are no longer part of the world, part of nature.

>> No.20099632

>>20099596
Perhaps being embosomed in this egg of industry will see us separated from conflict, but separated from conflict all of the mental and physical traits we have developed to cope with it will become vestigial and wither. It seems today man is only as worthwhile as his invention, an his communication with that invention, and that the success of the invention does not need to be so complex to be wildly successful. Perhaps we're hitting a limit, like a societal rubber band, which stretches, but flings us back to our roots, hence the rise of neo-feudalism. Maybe this part of history is merely our first contact with this rubber-banding boundary, or limitation, and that though humanity's inventions might continue to develop, development for humanity has ended and will continue to bound and rebound until either our inventions outlive us, or we become a subsumed part of them. What do you think?

>> No.20100082
File: 1.07 MB, 2636x808, 1566161671587.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One of the best posts I've read in my 4 miserable years on 4channel

>> No.20100140

>>20100082
>4

>> No.20100173

>>20100082
The way he types in "4chan dialect" shows he's also a part of the problem. It also comes off as hysterical, even if I one-hundred percent agree with what he's arguing for. Do you people understand how to write with a sense of reality? It's always 4chan lingo and slang, and it makes me think there's truth to the stupid leftist slang of "bitter incel".
Learn to write in a manner that doesn't make seem like a contrarian and bitter hypocrite. Read Ted Kaczysnki's manifesto and study his writing style. I agree entirely with Ted Kaczysnki, but I would hate to see his actual writing transformed into "memespeak" like the image in your post.

>> No.20100178

>>20099596
>A man living in Shakespeare's time would much the same upbringing as a man in the Victorian or Georgian eras
Oh totally, Elizbethean and Victorian England were the same thing, and there were of course few class distinctions between Englishmen in these periods, let alone across them; just totally uniform like a beehive

>> No.20100191

>>20100178
The point is they're more similar to each other than to us. Our lifestyle is completely unrecognisable to them. We may as well be aliens.

>> No.20100203

>>20099437
yeah, I know that feel.
travelling with women in particular has become an ordeal because they want to take cool/cute pics of themselves everywhere and they don't mind waiting on a line like this for 30 minutes if needed.
I wish every nature reserve had rules against photography

>> No.20100271

>>20100173
>The way he types in "4chan dialect" shows he's also a part of the problem.

What do you think is "the problem" he's describing and what does 4chan lingo have to do with that? Bizarre connection

>Read Ted Kaczysnki's manifesto and study his writing style.

Do you think he's trying to write a manifesto or reach the same audience?

Otherwise I see what you're saying but this is 4chan and I don't see why good points can't be made in memespeak. Anons will write great posts infused with words like "tranny" or "faggot" which is sort of the endearing kind of thing that gives things our conversations their unique flavor. I feel like your perspective is that the lingo discredits the work from being used in more serious discourse which is true but it's a post on 4chan for 4chan, NOT serious discourse. The hyperbole is probably intentional and he knows full well he's being reactionary. I'd recommend reading the full thread. The responses are a lot more fleshed out and thoughtful:

>>/lit/thread/S13650822

> It's always 4chan lingo and slang, and it makes me think there's truth to the stupid leftist slang of "bitter incel".

No shit. Nothing personal but if you're just realizing that or using it as a criticism you're very new here mate.

>> No.20100327
File: 1.33 MB, 900x900, 1647902392614.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20099500
Because she's from a gacha game where the design needs to be top tier to market/hype the characters and increase sales.

>> No.20100388

>>20100082
If you like that perspective maybe check out ‘Confessions of a Recovering Environmentalist’ Paul Kingsnorth.
Similar perspective, less 4Chan babble.

>> No.20100417

probably the twittering machine and abolish silicon valley

>> No.20100436

what technology wants by kevin kelly

>> No.20100484

Gravity's Rainbow

>> No.20100938

>>20100082
desu I find it interesting that "proles" is his insult of choice here. I more or less entirely agree with the wider point, while tending to view the mass of selfie-takers as victims rather than vermin. selfies in particular make a good example because of how linked they are with social media bullshit: delete those websites and the crowd will disappear, not because they've been prevented from doing what they want but because "what they want" is by and large decided outwith themselves. it's luck and circumstance and no small amount of autism that means i'm here now, rather than in their position, or in the position of some twitter idiot who never leaves the house.

>> No.20100953
File: 192 KB, 728x482, photos.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20099437
>>20100082
Refuted

>> No.20100957

The Shallows - Nicholas Carr
The Technological Society - Jacques Ellul
Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man - Marshall McLujan
The Burnout Society - Byung-Chul Han
Amusing Ourselves to Death - Neil Postman

>> No.20100960

>>20100953
Pure bugman

>> No.20100991
File: 182 KB, 1200x1839, the-shallows.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Question Concerning Technology by Martin Heidegger argues that technology is really a mode of thinking that makes people view things as "standing reserve," that is, resources to be exploited in the future.

"The Shallows" by Nicholas Carr argues that the internet, like all media, actually changes the brain itself. More specifically, he argues that the net has a negative effect on the mind, because of the way it encourages "shallow reading" as opposed to "deep reading." Carr backs up his points with cognitive science and a lot of studies.

That's all I can think of, right now.

>> No.20100992

>>20100953
>ugh
>Reddit profanity
>Quip ending

>> No.20100998

>>20100953
kek isnt this the same dude who made a comic about how nobody really enjoys beer

>> No.20101004

>>20100957
That user mentioned The Shallows before I saw his post.

One of his other suggestions, Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman, is also a good book.

>> No.20101005

>>20100953
Gotta love how this image completely ignores the social media aspect of the quest; how their only goal is a mechanical dispenser of condensed, electronic dopamine and little else.
The ability to cope with the demonic perversion of life in such ways is one I envy. Must be really fucking nice to assume there's romance to still be found in the sardonic tragedy of the modern world.

>> No.20101016

>>20100953
I love how this comic completely ignores the actual criticism in favor of "ya well ur jus a dik lmao". Those people taking photos of the sunset don't fucking do it for the sake of their own memories, they do it to show off. You go to social media and its littered with these fucking pictures, these supposedly personal moments put up on a digital wall with the phrase "Beautiful sunset on the beach! #life #blessed" because the person posting doesn't give an iota of a fuck about the majesty of nature, they want to use it to show off for one reason or another, be it because they want to flaunt their ability to see such a beautiful sunset in the first place or because they want to establish that their beliefs in what causes that sunset are correct (God, the nature of the universe, etc.).

If one truly loves the natural world, they lock it within their memories and, if able, do what they can to revisit those scenes whenever possible. The world has beauty, and trying to capture it and shove it into the digital world only tarnishes that beauty. The fact there are people who don't understand this truly and profoundly irritate me, especially when they act like smug, condescending pricks about their own ignorance.

>> No.20101017

McLuhan is the best starting point, esp because he does so much to relate his points to literature & poetry
>>20100957
u get it

>> No.20101050

>>20099457
why read a book by some retard who ended up federal prison for life in a 6X8? yeah he sounds really adaptive at life. i should really take advice from him.

>> No.20101092

There is a very good Evola quote about skiing where he said something along the lines of ski lifts being like chains over the body of a beautiful animal or something to the effect.

I made fun of it when I was younger but it's totally true

>> No.20101128

If you look back at the 60s and 70s tons of families posed and took photos in front of the mountains when they visited the grand canyon etc.

I feel the problem here is more one of overpopulation. There is so many damn people now that if you go to any nature place on the weeekend it is stupidly packed with people. Especially Sunday afternoons.

People taking photos at a holiday spot for a memory is not bad in anyway. 50,000 people all packing into the nearest nature reserve to a big city on sunday afternoon is a problem and ruins the escape side of it and just makes you feel like a npc stuck in the same crows as the public transport, traffic, shopping malls etc.

>> No.20101134

>>20099596
Sometimes I get a disorienting sense of unreality when thinking about the impermanence and arbitrariness of real-world objects. It almost seems absurd that something should exist in the real world without any relation to the canon of online discourse. Like my brain has shifted to perceive the online world as the 'true' reality which gets expressed through the medium of the physical world. We have elevated our collective experience to a form which we imagine on some level to be immortal, when in reality it is even more transitory and ephemeral, like a twisted mirror of the true collective psyche. And I don't even use the internet that much these days, fuck. I'm writing poorly and drunk but can anyone relate to this

>> No.20101246

>>20101016
Not that anon but what was the jist of the anons arguement? He said the pic made him sick. Then went off on a tangent about space travel among rich people. And made generalizations about who needs to go to space. As the crux of alleged "argument" and sickness about the photo. The dude sounds like a generalizing retard who built a straw man in his own head and knocked it down. The graphic is right. Hes some faggot upset about other peoples experiences. Die mad about people taking pics on that peak

>> No.20101270

>>20101246
Hylic

>> No.20101283

>>20100953
I guarantee you that 99.99% of smartphone pictures that are not nudes are forgotten in a matter of weeks.

>> No.20101287

>>20101270
Oh well faggot. Fuckin die mad about people doing shit like that.

>> No.20101298

>>20099437
That picture is soul destroying. It inverts everything good about the original picture they are all lined up to emulate.

>> No.20101371

>>20099437
If I were to walk up that queue, sit down at the edge and just enjoy the view the way god intended. What a single one of these insufferable faggots do about it?

>> No.20101380

>>20101371
Probably fuck you up

>> No.20101393

>>20100998
MMMM!

>> No.20101413

>>20100173
>calling people proles incessantly is 4chinz speak
You realize you’re a simpleton who likes to pretend he’s far more intelligent than he actually is right?

>> No.20101420

>>20101371
Push you off, and then everyone would clap

>> No.20101436

>>20101050
>retard
>has 168 iq and was once an amazing mathematics professor
you got filtered, buddy

>> No.20101445

>>20099457
pynchon's better

>> No.20101454

>>20101380
>a bunch of instagram fuck boys actually trying to engage in violence
Bless your retarded little heart. My autistic ass will eat them alive with my retard gorilla strength

>> No.20101456

>>20101050
He did it to get the book into your hands. Respect his sacrifice.

>> No.20101461

>>20100082
The idea of "commercial spaceflight" is that advancements will only be made when money pours in, and in this age this is only going to be widely feasible through either government spending or commercialization. Since the American government seems to have completely shat the bed with their space program to the point that NASA is literally outsourcing their work to other companies like SpaceX (yes, NASA is taking your tax money and then giving it directly to Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk), the best hope for a space-based future is literally to force people to spend their hard earned money/time to be able to afford it. Basically, the only way forward in the current society we live in is through mindnumbing pain, boredom, and agony for the average person. Welcome to the wagie world

>> No.20101463

>>20100082
doesn't take much to impress you does it

>> No.20101465

>>20100082
Chill it's just a photo.

>> No.20101471

Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death. I see a lot of people recommending The Shallows but I remember thinking it was inane popsci trash when I read it.

>> No.20101486

>>20101454
Lmao okay tough guy. Youd get your ass beat and be crying like a pussy.

>> No.20101500

>>20101050
cuz he was the only nigga that was really bout that shit

>> No.20101520

>>20100082
>4 miserable years on 4channel
Bruh, leave. There is time.

>> No.20101536

>>20101486
I would thoroughly enjoy sodomizing you like the faggot you are in front of that whore you refer to as a mother. I’ll fuck you till you love me faggot.

>> No.20101542

>>20100953
>Oh, come on! Ughh, like really...why wont you just [insert dehumanizing activity being indirectly forced by the government and their slaves that week].....

This bully-by-mob mindset will be the death of humanity.

>> No.20101576

>>20099437
Ahem;
In the first book of John, Jesus is called the lamb of God. This is Jesus as a sacrificial goat that shall with it's death coagulate all matter into itself as a work-of-manmade-manifestation - The crucifixion of Christ is the starting point of modern world history, setting the standard that all subsequent causality will operate with the sacrifice of the innocent via technology for the absolution of God. This is the disaster of technology: the proof: God cannot be known lest it is through faith in Jesus Christ - Jesus Christ was the 'moment' of history more than he was the Son of God. As Jesus is currently, symbolically dead on the cross, the only reliable narrator we have of his existence is bloody technology, for example, the World Wars of the last century. These were world-wars more than they were wars that simply spanned the globe. They were wars against technology, with technology. Continuously time reveals there cannot be a return to a past, and there cannot be a revelation of a future without this exchange of blood for blood. Baptism via water, water into wine, wine as the blood of Christ. The whole world undergoing a transfusion for the stake of 2000 years, with our lives as the 'drained.' The blood of Christ is the evening sun, the 'red cross.' It is reaching the crescendo now. If you want to actually *fix* the problem of technology, you have to become a crusader. The crusades mark both the 'hair of the dog' of faustian will before a long slumber into techno-feudalism which has birthed modernity. The last crusades are the logical closing of this system - through this we will not 'return' but incorporate returning into just 'turning.' You must take up the vow of Christ before the sacrificial magic has been fulfilled. We must, in order to reach heaven, set Christ free from the binding of the word.

It is frightening to see people attempt to solve the problem with their 'new mind' that has been modified by technology. I fear that hatred of modernity will only create a spiral where modernity will again be repeated, because the reasoning behind renunciation isn't to move upwards but to be rid of a rot. The language itself expresses a desire to go backwards - to retract causality, even to 'devolve' (return to monkey.) I don't think these statements are as innocent as they may appear, as that innocence is precisely the commonality that memes share which always converts them into sacrificial technology. Here, Ted can be corrupted by algorithms and the intention of a renouncing of technology can be soured. Technology is very much 'spiritual' in that technology is the arm (techne) that connects the mind (logos) to the world more than it is a strict form. It is the connecting 'fluidity' or 'field' rather than the alpha or omega. Modern man knows he is insane but tries to prove he isn't with the same materials that substantiate his diagnosis. The only way to fix the problem is to close the last weft of our causal bind.

>> No.20101609

>>20101576
nigga that's a long ass blogpost
Also meds

>> No.20101659

>>20101576
>The only way to fix the problem is to close the last weft of our causal bind.
and how do we do that?

>> No.20101667

>>20101134
my god yes, you describe something i couldn't even put into words

>> No.20101718

>>20100173
>4chan lingo
>on 4chan
>a problem
>goes on to say incel
>"write in a manner that doesn't make it seem"
>thinks the way it seems to him is the way it seems to everyone else

REEEEEEEEEE

>> No.20101735

>>20099437
This shit is exactly why Sterling Pond in VT is such an annoying location. If you don't go super early, you get up to this unique glacial pond and get to watch dog moms and their noisy simps let their shithounds traipse into crystal clear water, muddying up a sensitive biome and likely killing several salamanders every day when they try to sun at the shore. God, it makes me so mad and I will never in a thousand years share my hidden out of the way alternative hike.

>> No.20101756

>>20101576
Interesting post

>> No.20101874

>>20100082
Wasn't that Everest post with the big line only like that in that particular year because they only had 1 or 2 weeks that year where reaching the summit was safe? Afaik the window is usually larger so it normally isn't like that.

>> No.20101995
File: 2.45 MB, 1368x2048, 1647839191340.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20102071
File: 53 KB, 540x440, john-zerzan3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

read the works of john zerzan

>> No.20102122

>>20101134
>>20101667
The perverted pseudoPlatonic sphere of the digital hyperreality
I hope global warming kills us all soon inshallah

>> No.20102162

>>20101461
allowing such a society to escape into space strikes me as about the most irresponsible thing one could allow. like discovering some horrible parasite on a test-slide in a laboratory and releasing it into the wild instead of into the furnace.

>> No.20102174

>>20100082
This guy is such a pretentious egotistical moron. There's nothing about class that precedes character. There are prideful and shallow people in all walks of life. In fact, I'd say there are more poor high school dropouts that are worthy of experiencing the beautiful and divine than there are so called "aristocrats". It's always mediocre Raskolnikov-esque people who think this way, believing that they alone are worthy of and owed everything and yet they always prove to be the least humble, least wise, least experienced and are of modest knowledge at best. Their character would be repellent to any truly humble or wise person, but they read a few books so surely that will make up for their complete lack of virtue. Obviously the greatest metric for measuring a man is how many tomes he's passively consumed, forget the man who takes control of his life and lives for himself, who seperates himself from and is not influenced by the philosophies and teachings of decadent prideful dead men, we should instead exalt the 20 something /lit/ 'scholar', who's opinions and tastes are formed almost entirely by a website created to talk about anime, for his unparalleled brilliance and divinity. Truly he is a modern day Socrates.

>> No.20102184

>>20100271
4chan lingo is retarded and for fags

>> No.20102328

>>20099457
Kill yourself with this derivative, deep as a puddle, teenage diary teir garbage

>> No.20102336

>>20099596
If you want a trip, read Shaw (maybe An Unsocial Socialist in particular, but it’s a recurring theme in almost all of his works) seething about the terrible/deadly working conditions of miners and general problems caused by modern inventions like trains and cars. He’d lose his mind if he saw what followed.

>> No.20102345

>>20100953
>le funny contrarian comic

>> No.20102397
File: 19 KB, 204x346, 1646606361931.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20102438
File: 132 KB, 965x760, image[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20102071
and pentti linkola

>> No.20102518

>>20102174
t. Prole

>> No.20102612 [DELETED] 

>>20099457
>>20101445
They're the sane person

>> No.20102616

>>20099457
>>20101445
They're the same person.

>> No.20102662

>>20101436
>impressed by IQ and STEMfaggotry
Yeah you're a complete midwit alright

>> No.20102666

>>20102616
No, pinchy can write

>> No.20102674
File: 317 KB, 1112x1402, 1646491733032.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20102662
not that anon but
> claims IQ / STEMfaggotry does not indicate merit
> claims the federal justice system / life imprisonment indicates lack of merit
you seem to be going through this thread counterjerking against Ted K as if it was necessary or as if this was r*ddit

>> No.20102678

>>20099437
Bernard Stiegler
McLuhan
Friedrich Kittler
Baudrillard
Lyotard
Heidegger

>> No.20102680
File: 110 KB, 1519x2325, 1647339792934.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20102678
also

Paul Virilio

>> No.20102682

>>20100082
>muh proles
I wonder who spends millions of dollars convincing those proles that they NEED a selfie with X in order to finally feel complete in their pointless wageslave lives.

I wonder who sells them tickets.

I wonder who benefits from their social media addiction.

>> No.20102751

>>20100082
proles climb the everest know?

>> No.20103369

>>20100953
Obviously he's wrong. We have evidence that the more pictures people take on a trip, the less they remember of it. I know this anecdotally as well. When my sister got back from a 10 day trip to Europe with her friend she showed us the pictures she took, and had no idea what she was looking at 40% of the time despite having only been back a week. My cousin went to Iceland for 7 days and took 1100 photos and 2 hours worth of video. I seriously doubt she's gone through it more than once. I don't think mr cartoon man understands brain chemistry very well

>> No.20103409

>>20101246
He's mad about the corruption of specialness of an experience and it is not at all a new thing to bitch about, just this time he's talking about space specifically. It's like when you like a band before they got big. It can diminish your own enjoyment. Anon is also pointing to how we revere astronauts and name middle schools after them just because they went to space and now all you have to do is be rich, not dedicate your life to it

It's very gay to bitch about unless you specifically are complaining that the thing itself is degraded, such as with the amount of garbage on Everest, the amount of space debris up there causing issues, that sort of thing, which is a legitimate concern

>> No.20103418

>>20101371
They would bitch and moan and complain and a lady would yell at you and another would cry. If I was there I would take video and post it on reddit for upvotes calling you an asshole while secretly thinking it was deeply funny

>> No.20103430

>>20102751
If ur fit I think you can get up there for around 10k

>> No.20103458

A lot of people think im weird since I dont really care about taking photos or posting anything on social media. Maybe its autism but idk I have the memories in my head and when am I honestly going to look at those photos? I just try to take in the moment

>> No.20103550

>>20102174
I agree entirely.

>> No.20103556

>>20103458
I take photos and don’t post them, I don’t have any social media. I love looking at them and remembering moments. Not that I’ve forgotten them, but a picture can reanimate memories and sometimes give new perspectives.

>> No.20103563

>>20100327
>top tier
Inserting shit into every part of anime girl's clothes is hardly "top tier". But you're right about this style being prelevant in gachashit.

>> No.20103566

I take photos and print them on quality paper. Once rolled up they slide perfectly up my ass

>> No.20103586

>>20103458
>>20103566
I enjoy photography as an art. I like editing pictures. Messing with color grading. I post on them on social media but I think it would be better to print some out, maybe get a couple framed in those fancy glass frames. I like the idea of having some sort of physical representation of them more than getting likes to be honest.

>> No.20103606

>>20100082
This retarded faggot has the gall to chastise others about humility

>> No.20103622

>>20100953
I am not reading all of that.

>> No.20103630

>>20101128
The pictures of the past were essentially private in nature -- shared with family and nearby friends. Social media has ramped up the narcissism to where people take pictures of themselves to show people they'll never meet.

I will agree with your point of overpopulation, though, as part of the issue.

>> No.20103657

>>20103622
>unable to read less than ten sentences of dialogue in a comic strip
Peak /lit/

>> No.20103708

>>20102174
"Raskolnikov-esque" is so spot on. People like this always conveniently appoint themselves as one of the chosen few capable of true understanding. Getting irate over a hypothetical situation where housewives are doing space tourism is absolutely something Raskolnikov would do lmao. It also demonstrates the same lack of self-awareness that he's criticizing

>> No.20103760

>>20102678
Cringe

>> No.20103948

>>20100953
>proceeds to post the pic of the dumbfounded guy on reddit describing the he epic debate and how badly he destroyed him in the comments
>gets one trillion updoots on r/pics and multiple wholesome awards
What an amazing dopaminergic investment, he sure got me. Truly a master of his own ship.

>> No.20103991

>>20100953
is this a leftist meme? I gave up reading it halfway

>> No.20104045

>>20103458
It's weird not to take any photos at all, but you should only take pictures that are going to mean something to you later. A pretty sunset or 20 shots of the Coliseum for instance are not good photos to take. You, me, and everybody else knows what both of those look like

When I'm touring, I take a picture if it is an anchor point for a story. For instance when I was in Granada I went to take a piss and while I was gone my gf got a churro. I asked her where mine was and she said that old guy bought her one. So I chased after him and in shitty HS Spanish had a conversation with him since he was obviously a top bloke. We talked about how he was a baker but now his son runs it and so on. Then I asked him where a plaza was we were looking for was and we got someone to take our picture with him. I remember that interaction better than the Alhambra, which is why that picture is more dear to me

Anyways yeah you should take pictures. I think that trip to Spain I was there for 5 weeks and took 50 pics total, every one is good

>> No.20104048

>>20103556
This. I think my main issue with phones recording everything isn't even the fact that they're there but the subtext of self aggrandizement and inherent expectation of social media value judgements being up in the air on every single thing having a picture taken of. That's whats weird is when you do have social media sometimes you'll genuinely just want to share something with people and other times it's playing the fucked up game.

>> No.20104049

>>20103566
based cramposter

>> No.20104177

>>20104045
Stop justifying your feminine behaviour, modern male. No man needs to take more than one image of himself, unless he has to display something on camera.

>> No.20104196

>>20100998
>kek isnt this the same dude who made a comic about how nobody really enjoys beer
Nobody likes American beer.

>> No.20104199

I know several people who have thousands upon thousands of random photos on their phones, meanwhile I have zero. Of course I've traveled, been to fun places and made lots of good memories with friends, but I don't need a reminder of that. I wonder if lots of my peers just don't trust their memories and have to keep the pictures in case they forget. In which case, what the heck are their priorities? Sometimes I lay in bed and think about past events good and bad because it's fun, not because I want to remember the moment I huddled around a bunch of people and waited for a photo to be taken.

Side note: Family photos make no sense. They're the reason the concept of the "dysfunctional" family unit came about in the first place. Wow, so happy. Let's ignore all the context of the get-together and just reduce it to smiles and perfect posture.

>> No.20104283

>>20104196
1995 called.

>> No.20104333

>>20101413
projection

>> No.20104448

>>20104177
and you're not living a full life so that's p cool too

>> No.20104459

>>20101576
Let them know they do not know.

>> No.20104466

>>20104196
Yeah except Americans who have access to actual good American beer. We don't export the good stuff

Come home white man

>> No.20104480

>>20100991
Nick Carr's blog is generally very good too.
https://www.roughtype.com/

>> No.20104655

>>20104283
>>20104466
>amerisharts think their "hoppy IPA" from their shitty "microbrewery" are good

>> No.20104695

>>20104045
>A pretty sunset
Ill take as many as I want and I remember them all

>> No.20104818

>>20104655
>my opinions are not derived from experience
check yourself

>> No.20105427

>>20104818
Eat shit, Brayden Martinez. It shouldn't be difficult since you already drink piss.

>> No.20105480

>>20102122
> global warming
Literally this
All these people seething about technology don’t realize it’s all going to collapse by 2050.

>> No.20105563

>>20104655
I agree that IPAs are overproduced and overrated, but there is a spectrum of non-IPA being made in the literal thousands of US craft breweries. If you're Eurofag, I can believe you are only seeing IPA and mass produced pilseners in your country. Probably because there is proper protection of your native breweries.

>> No.20105626

>>/lit/thread/S13650822

>>20102682
I linked the full thread
>Except the word prole derives from proletariat, the wage-earning class. The modern definition for me is just another word for wagecuck. A mediocre middle-class person who indulges in consumerism and dick measuring contests to impress their social circles.

>>20102751
>>20103430
It isn't Everest. They correct him on that.

But who cares? If people are climbing to Everest and in line in droves to taking those pictures then that his point is even more painfully true.

>> No.20105632

>>20102174
He goes on to say he means "proles of the soul" a la Evola. But good post nonetheless.

>> No.20105634

>>20100991
I read it but i feel his book needs an update to account for the last 10 years.

>> No.20106264

>>20100173
>I agree wholeheartedly with the content of something but it contradicts my social conditioning so I will complain
Textbook definition of "normalfag".

>> No.20106275

>>20099437
I just started reading White Noise and I swear within the first 10 pages there's a character that talks about this.

>> No.20106312

>>20101050
You are 100% right, Ted K is just cope

>> No.20107630

>>20102174
As a mid-30s boomer I think a lot of his arrogance can simply be attributed to emotionally turbulent years in one's 20s. I went through a lot of the same. After the age of 30 most men tend to calm down with the posturing and get over themselves. A measured calmness descends. And then some men double down and larp harder. Such is life.

Whenever I see a particularly pretentious post on here I assume that poster is going to chill out a bit a few years down the line and course correct -- it's better to give anon a bit of leeway and think well of their potential. We don't all throw off mental fetters so easily. Especially in an age where young men are really shat on and betrayed heavily by their own institutions and so-called elders. This takes odd tolls on them.

>> No.20107964

>>20099437
The Shallows: What the Internet is doing to our Brains

Nominated for a Pulitzer

>> No.20107965

>>20103409
>It's like when you like a band before they got big. It can diminish your own enjoyment.

If you're retarded.

>> No.20107974

>>20099596
I partially agree with you but there are outliers. This is the trial period of the internet era, and when people start to see long term effects and experience existential crises there will be pockets of people leaving.

I gave a presentation yesterday on the effect of screen time on children (spoiler: it reduces their language capacity and can cause diagnosable mental issues) and I had multiple social workers ask for a copy.

COVID 19 really did a number on people and in turn they moved to the internet. It'll swing back in time once people see how damaging that switch was.

>> No.20108423

>>20100082
"Revolt of the Masses" by Ortega y Gasset