[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3.49 MB, 2800x3348, __gandalf_and_balrog_tolkien_s_legendarium_and_1_more_drawn_by_kalmahul__15f31373cb695b9fe1e5444813d50340.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20083206 No.20083206 [Reply] [Original]

You shall not pass Edition

Previous Thread:>>20077482

>Recommended reading charts (Look here before asking for vague recs)
https://mega.nz/folder/kj5hWI6J#0cyw0-ZdvZKOJW3fPI6RfQ

>Archive
>>>>>>/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=sffg

>Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg

>A link to the ultimate colossal science fiction and fantasy collection torrent
>>>/t/1023504

>Discord
Never going to be created.

>> No.20083219

Wasn't the bridge meant to be dwarf made

>> No.20083222
File: 564 KB, 1100x721, Rscott.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/sffg/ is a Conditioned Ground

Simple as

>> No.20083223
File: 986 KB, 1676x2548, s867876518521212499_p24_i1_w1676.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Cat Pictures Please And Other Stories - Naomi Kritzer (2017)

This is Kritzer's third collection of short fiction. It excludes her Seastead stories, which are what I liked from her and had me seek out her other works. Unfortunately, I wasn't sufficiently interested in the fantasy novels she wrote earlier in her career, or the YA novels she writes now. Her science fiction short fiction though is enjoyable.

Cat Pictures Please (2015)
The awards and nominations this received are well-deserved. A very nice story about a benevolent AI who covertly and unobtrusively seeks to improve lives one person at a time. As the AI says, "I think the term for this is wish-fulfillment fiction." Yes, yes, it is, and it was wonderful. I also appreciated the references.
Highly Enjoyable

Ace Of Spades (2017)
A journalist is in China covering their civil war. The US has sent in a peacekeeping force of VR-controlled humanoid automata on the side of the Chinese government. This would make for a nice novel. Kritzer writes that it's "an exploration of risk-taking in a risk-averse world".
Enjoyable

The Golem (2000)
In Prague, 1941, two women, one Jewish, create a golem in their image. The golem, who is precognizant, informs them that she cannot save all the Jewish people. She helps the Prague Resistance as a messenger while hoping for her own freedom.
Ok

Wind (2015)
A person's personality and magical ability depend on the composition of elements within their heart. Two young girls perform a self-destructive rite to gain magical abilities. Several decades later one of the women ponders her life and whether anything more can be done with her remaining time.
Meh

In The Witch’s Garden (2002)
Set in the 23rd century and inspired by The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen. A made-child leaves the station and is taken by a witch, but then leaves in search of her lost friend.
Meh

What Happened At Blessing Creek (2011)
Inspired by Little House on the Prairie, though with magic, dragons, and cannibalism.
Ok

Cleanout (2015)
A slice-of-life story of siblings cleaning out their mother's house, as she's near death in the hospital. I remember thinking how strange it was that this was serialized in F&SF, since the only fantastical or speculative element is the faint implication that their parents may have been from somewhere other than Earth.
Ok

Artifice (2014)
A slice-of-life story where a group of friends who meet on game night to play board games have a new player introduced, the boyfriend of one of the regulars, only he's an AI in a human-like body because she's grown tired of real men. I want to read more slice-of-life stories like this.
Highly Enjoyable

>> No.20083224
File: 607 KB, 1113x1689, s867876518521212499_p24_i2_w1113.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20083223
Perfection (2017)
On planet Asha, eugenics reign supreme and all citizens have to keep up with the latest in genetic engineering. Everyone has a similar geno and phenotype. When Secret suffers a broken nose, those around her distance themselves because she has diverged from the ideal. Kritzer notes that this was based on one of her unpublished novels, a science fiction mystery. Seems like something I'd want to read.
Enjoyable

The Good Son (2009)
A fey falls into love with a mortal woman and tries to integrate himself into human society, but it doesn't go as planned.
Meh

Scrap Dragon (2012)
This was a story written for the highest bidder to raise money for a friend's medical emergency. It's told in the form of one person telling another person a story, but the listener is constantly interrupting with their running commentary about the story.
Meh

Comrade Grandmother (2002)
In World War II, a Russian woman pleads with Baba Yaga to stop Hitler, at ever increasing cost.
Blah

Isabella’s Garden (2011)
A story about a toddler who can magically grow anything.
Meh

Bits (2013)
A company that makes sex toys that function as real flesh begins work on prototypes that allow for sexual intercourse between humans and the aliens that have come to Earth.
Ok

Honest Man (2007)
A story Kritzer wrote for her grandmother's birthday about a woman and her lifelong involvement with a shapeshifting and seemingly immortal conman who only cheats the dishonest.
Ok

The Wall (2013)
A time traveler goes to back 1989 to convince herself to be present at the fall of the Berlin Wall, though not just to be there when it does. It had me thinking a lot of everything that's happened since 1989, or really what I can remember of what's happened within my lifetime. Particularly about thinking about events on a long term scale, mostly brought on by the invasion of Ukraine and how that fits in.
Enjoyable

So Much Cooking (2015)
This a story of a pandemic with a 32% mortality rate told through a cooking blog. It's never made clear how infectious the virus is. I'm not sure what to think about how optimistic and simplistic this story is compared to what's actually happened. Maybe it's relatively less infectious, though it's difficult to tell. I have no doubt that it reads a lot like what a lot of people have experienced through the current pandemic. It was quite an emotional experience. Many feels were had.
Krizter wrote later wrote an article about this story that I read afterwards. It's a worthwhile read as well.
https://www.tor.com/2020/04/14/didnt-i-write-this-story-already-when-your-fictional-pandemic-becomes-reality/
Enjoyable

>> No.20083225
File: 128 KB, 348x301, cat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20083223
>Cat Pictures Please
based
>Everything else
cringe

>> No.20083240
File: 27 KB, 600x575, f2d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20083225

>> No.20083260

I want to read Sci-fi
What I want in sci-fi is to have advanced technology and/or advanced civilisations and I want to read a story which essentially just asks 'what would it be like if x or y was true', explores what people would be doing, how people would think, what societies would look like, etc
I am not interested in deep questions on human nature or the nature of existence at all
Any suggestions?

>> No.20083297

>>20083260
That sounds like you want short fiction rather than a novel if you mean that literally. Could you give examples? Do you mean stuff like, what if FTL was available, what if people could upload their consciousnesses into the cloud, what if everyone was immortal, what if everyone was data rather than having physical bodies, what if we lived in a Dyson sphere. Most of this would just background in anything of length.

>> No.20083312

>>20083224
>winner of the Hugo award
Dropped.

>> No.20083316

>>20083312
don't you mean "filtered"?

>> No.20083317

>>20083260
Last and First Men
Star Maker
these are basically pretend history books of the far future

>> No.20083321

Sunset found her squatting in the grass...

>> No.20083329

>>20083316
No, I mean dropped. Like you were, on the head, as a child.

>> No.20083356

Steven Erikson just isn't very good. I think he is a lot of people's first experience with a fantasy author who dabbles in contextual storytelling after being reared on a lifetime of YA with linear plots and explicit infodumps and so there is this propensity to prop him up as some kind of genius who is 'breaking the mold' or whatever. In actuality Malazan is about on par with WoT and Stormlight, it just makes the reader work a little bit more for the same product. Maybe a little worse, considering it is ultimately an unofficial DnD novel.

>> No.20083360

>>20083356
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS
Not the same thing.

>> No.20083406

>>20083206
Some friends of mine convinced me to read Name of the Wind recently and it was genuinely one of the worst fucking things I've ever read in my life.
It wasn't just bad, I've read bad stories before and it didn't make me angry. This shit made me fucking angry.
In what world is this crap genre-defining fantasy? It's a log, rambling stream of self-masturbatory bullshit about the cringiest douchebag ever. I can't take anyone who likes this shit seriously, I find this book actually embarrassing.
Yet it has some of the best reviews of any fantasy novel I've ever been made aware of. Huh? Is it me, what the fuck? Am I insane? Why the hell is this shit so popular?
Can someone else give me some explanation? Tell me I'm write, tell me I'm wrong, tell me to go fuck myself, but for the love of God help me to understand how this book is so highly praised despite the fact that I think it's utter dogshit.

>> No.20083420

>>20083406
It's Harry Potter for adults. I won't put scare quotes on the word, because it's technically correct.

>> No.20083421

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvHjNcjMqvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCuSHngMy-g
which is a more compelling narrative?

>> No.20083438

>>20083420
It reads like Harry Potter for college-aged losers who want to self-insert into as a laughably overblown Gary Stew faggot who goes through one humiliatingly transparent, drawn-out power fantasy after another for like 1000 otherwise pointless pages.

>> No.20083468

>>20083438
Yes. That's the appeal. Of course, the book also has its narrative device that allows the reader to pretend the indulgent wishfulfilment is merely in-universe. A handy tool to ward off embarrassment in one's brief moments of self-awareness.

>> No.20083472

Is there a reason why GRRM doesn't really describe the red viper guys death in that much detail?
Like he says the mountain puts his fingers into the gap or whatever but he doesn't describe the red vipers eyes bleeding or anything
He gets punched in the mouth and just describes his teeth getting knocked out
Where is the blood and guts anons?

>> No.20083497

>>20083472
I want to read these books but I'm afraid of being disappointed of it ending as is with the 5th book. I also know so many spoilers from the "bookfags" over the years since the show came out.

>> No.20083660

>I'm going to save the lit-rpg genre!
But in the meantime, what is the best lit-rpg work to date?

>> No.20083670

>>20083660
probably some gamer Harry Potter or Naruto fanfic if we're going to be honest

>> No.20083686

I like Sansa a lot

>> No.20083749

I sampled about 30 pages of Blindsight. The premise seems interesting enough, the prose is shit but it's expected from science fiction written by a stem autist, my only problem is the protag. Is he going to spend the entire novel going
>heh, I've analyzed your emotions using my superior emotionless brain...meatbag
?

>> No.20083808

>>20083749
No, the other characters are smarter, more inhuman and more annoying than the narrator. That's the point of him going along.

>> No.20083875

>>20083297
Well I'm not interested in those questions except FTL and dyson spheres but yeah basically
And I don't like short fiction because the characters don't feel as fleshed out as I want them to be, I'm only really interested in stories with real characters and also I don't always find them to be as immersive or satisfying
The one thing I hate most in fiction is cardboard characters and especially characters who just serve as mouth pieces for the authors ideology
>>20083317
Hmm doesn't really sound like something I'd be interested in currently but thanks for the suggestions

>> No.20083888
File: 13 KB, 201x310, hyperion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

23 year old having sex with probably 80 year old was quite uncalled for

>> No.20083892

>>20082794
>I only read Chinese webnovels
Recommend some?

>> No.20083896

>>20083472
He doesn't need to describe it. He knows the readers can fill in the gaps themselves. Having your teeth fall out from being punched means you had to have been punched pretty hard. Thus the reader starts visualizing what they believe to be a strong punch.

>> No.20083906

>>20083888
Oh boy don't read Endymion then

>> No.20083920

>>20083406
Friend nags me to read this book, literally has themed tattoos etc so he's a big fan. I finally give in, and it's fucking awful. I know that my friend is a pure genre fag so he rarely reads anything outside of fantasy and maybe that's why... but when people claim the book is "poetic" it is the biggest red flag that they've never read a single poem in their life that isn't song lyrics. And even the actual poems in the book are terrible.

Anyway I didn't have the heart to tell him his favourite book is actually trash so after I was done I just said thanks for the rec but I'm not reading book 2 until book 3 comes out (which will be never.)

>> No.20084108

>>20083920
They asked me if I liked it. They were really excited.
No, matter of fact, I hated it. Kvothe is a Gary Stu, he has no less than 3 comically over the top sob backstories, then he just gets over it and becomes mega awesome superman one day, spends a few hundred pages being better than everyone else for no reason while the story would be functionally identical if there were literally zero other named characters for that entire stretch, all of his victories are contrived bullshit that relies on luck (Described as intelligence.) and brute force (Described as intelligence.), nothing really matters as the central plot is irrelevant, and it eventually just sort of ends with a wet fart.
The prose everyone praises is purple like a bloated corpse, and so sophomoric that at times the book seriously reads like it's actively mocking the concept of fantasy writing and poetry. Over the top cringe shit, the main character's name is fucking Kvothe, as in it sounds exactly like Quothe, which is a fucking retardedly transparent pun about the nature of the book presented as the character's name.
I could go on.
About the only thing I liked was some of the mechanisms of the magic system (Stolen from real life, generally. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_magic ) and some of the more autistic worldbuilding. I'll also admit that someone slowly gaining assets and privileges gives me the same numbers-go-up dopamine rush some video games trigger for me.
But other than that everything else sucks.
The prose is gay and cringey.
Kvothe is a douchebag self-insert faggot.
Literally every single character is made out of cardboard.
It's generally cliche.
Has an unwarranted and insufferable level of gravitas applied to every retarded thing that happens.
People insist that the narrator is unreliable, but our Greek Chorus (The chronicler.) wastes no opportunity being astounded and sucking Kvothe's cock, implying that I'm also supposed to be astounded and suck cock.
Fucking hated it.

>> No.20084113

>>20084108
But you didn't say any of that to them.

>> No.20084152

>>20084108
I had a very similar visceral reaction of pure hate to his cuck "love story" I just wanted that bitch to just fucking die the entire book. There is even a passage in there "but he doesn't know her smile like I do" and it's the absolute cringiest fucking paragraph in the entire book. And it wasn’t just that he was friendzoned but that she's so outrageously aware of what she's doing.

"But she's like, possibly magical or whatever" don't care, hope she dies.

We get it Rothfuss, you were rejected in high-school.

>> No.20084171
File: 79 KB, 1330x352, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20084113
I 100% did.
Not trying to dime myself out as a discord user, but here's just one post from a longer rant about how much I hated it, posted in the chat my friend group generally uses.
>>20084152
Denna is literally just an attractive whore too. She offers nothing except witty repartee that reads, again, like a cringe faggot high schooler's daydream about what being charismatic would sound like.

>> No.20084203

>>20083749
Blindsight was a great book for explaining/conveying subjectivity.

>> No.20084211
File: 129 KB, 768x1024, cuckkiller chronicles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20084108
Just post this next time they act clueless as to why or how the series can be bad.

>> No.20084220

>>20084211
This page has made sure that I will never read any of Rothfuss's stuff

>> No.20084244

re: time travel
What is the difference between a loop and a closed loop?

>> No.20084257

thoughts on the warded man series

>> No.20084304

I hated way of kings at first. Once I finished I actually liked how things came together in the end. I'm about 1/3 through words of radiance and it gets better. I still think k you can shave the fat on these books by about half though.

My big concern though is the next two book covers have a Troon on the front

>> No.20084518

>>20084211
Holy cuck

>> No.20084554

>>20084304
I used to just go with a Blanket statement of "Sanderson sucks" but the truth is I enjoy a lot of the concepts and how the pieces fit together in retrospect, but I loathe the actually fact that I have to read his shitty bloated novels with their juvenile writing and bland characterisations to get at them.
His stories are cool to have read, but not to read.

>> No.20084558

>>20083875
I still don't really understand. It sounds like you want an epic fantasy in space, maybe like Star Wars? What do think about The Expanse?
I was going to suggest something like Disapora by Greg Egan, but probably not. I haven't read them, but the Culture novels probably wouldn't work because of ideology.

>> No.20084562

>>20083545
They have books.

>> No.20084566

>>20084554
I agree and that's the reasom I'm looking forward to the game he's working on. It will be nice to get some of Sanderson's ideas without having to suffer his writing.

>> No.20084600

>>20084244
I think a closed loop overwrites what happened last time, whereas a loop is creating a new timeline so that all of the previous ones you were in exist at the same time and continue but you can't return to them.

>> No.20084655

>>20084554
One thing that really bugs me about Kal is how "mature" he is for being about 19 or 20. He has been in war for a few years but he's written with maturity of someone at least in their 30s or 40s. The way he talks about other men and is respected for his wisdom, which is hard to have without more life experiences with people. Leadership, intelligence, and potential are all things young people can succeed with, but years of experience they cannot.

>> No.20084667

Waiting for Cradle books is killing me. What's another long progression fantasy book series I can dive in to?

>> No.20084684

>still haven't read Reaver
meh
On that note, I haven't decided what I'll check out after I finish this k-litrpg. I'm excited because it might actually have an ending, and the author got in heavy contact with the translators, to the extent where he rewrote the entire ending for English only so that mite b cool to see.

>> No.20084698
File: 1.35 MB, 1200x1200, What You reading.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are you faggets reading?

>> No.20084701
File: 271 KB, 824x901, 20220313163502_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how would you rank the books of A Song of Ice and Fire
and why is storm of swords the best?

>> No.20084710
File: 201 KB, 296x450, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm reading Perdido Street Station right now. It was pretty boring at first but picked up a lot of stream halfway through, enjoying it now instead of slogging through it.
What about the author's other books? Planning to check them out after I finish this one. Is picrel good?

>> No.20084714

>>20084701
3>1/2>>4/5
Storm is the best because it has the most action. Many storylines building up since book 1 reach a violent climax. Lots of important people die.

>> No.20084752

>>20084701
Fuck off, GRRM is a hack and so are you

>> No.20084767

Fuck, I hate Egwene so much. Arrogant, arrogant scum. Once she got a little power, she started pushing others around, thinking that Rand should silently obey her. Bitch. In the end, Perrin tells Rand that Egwene is smarter than they are, and Rand silently agrees. What the hell?

>> No.20084922

I haven't read a single Sci-Fi or Fantasy novel this year. The only thing I've read is the fat elf manga.

>> No.20084930
File: 743 KB, 826x1201, Gene_Wolfe_Claw_first_edition.jpg__92700.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20084698
just finished the feast. holy fuck bros

>> No.20084945
File: 441 KB, 477x487, 6567356543.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20084211
There are people who think this way. Fuck this gay world.

>> No.20084952

>>20084945
You don't use trigger discipline if you wanna an hero.

>> No.20084962

>>20084930
>gay wolfe

>> No.20084999

>>20084922
>read
>manga
Looking at pictures is not reading

>> No.20085025
File: 932 KB, 245x173, feni.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20084211
I was sort of on the fence with Name up until this part. I literally laughed out loud in public of how terrible it turned

>> No.20085059

>>20083497
While it ends on a bunch of cliffhangers at the moment for sure, what's there is still great work in every way. Characters, setting, dialogue, politics, etc., it's an absolute blast to read. If you want to wait until Winds, you might be waiting years if it comes out at all, and Dream is never coming out. I'd say give it a shot as is, if you're looking for a new series. I went into it knowing a few spoilers as well but still loved the experience. I'm waiting til winds to do a re-read at the moment but if I hadn't read it yet I wouldn't bother to wait.

>> No.20085135
File: 20 KB, 230x346, 411i6binKGL._SY346_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dunno if that anon who'd talked about publishing this is around right now, but I figured I'd give my first impressions now I've started reading, and I'm only about 10% of the way through, which is sort of my usual cut-off point of deciding if something's worth going through. So here's some thoughts, good and bad, in no particular order.
The dialogue is clunky. I realise this might be people talking strangely as a 'thing' but it can be weird to follow, it feels like a machine translation.
Text itself is strange in the narration, Zyntael feels a little disconnected from the world. Her personality comes across well enough when it's clear there's a line from her own thought process, but it otherwise feels like a lacking first-person narration. Maybe that's the point, that she's weirdly calm, but it feels off.
Strong opening, cute little joke with the shift over, but it felt a little meaningless to establishing much.
I don't think I care much about Zyntael. She just seems like a character I have no reason to be invested in besides the fact she's the protagonist.
I recognise tropes are tools, but burning down the protagonist's hometown in the first 15 pages feels almost parodic of fantasy cliches, especially as we haven't even gotten time to learn about the village to feel anything for this event. I honestly feel like you could've started with her waking up in the dungeon after it happened because that first part of the story feels almost irrelevant.
Fairly intriguing world set-up, though perhaps a few too many proper nouns thrown at the reader early on that don't mean as much as they should. I like that it's all just Fae-folk, that's a neat touch, even if there's one group that's just "functionally human".
Overall characters feel more like plot vehicles than people.

I'll definitely try reading some more, but overall it's not gripping me that well. It might just be it's not for me, but it's not doing much right now.

>> No.20085227

Are there any good non-leftist scifi novels?

>> No.20085235

>>20084922
I like his hentai manga a lot more, but that's fine as well.

>> No.20085241

>>20085227
There are many non-leftist in older times. Of you want something modern, look to what Baen has published.

>> No.20085254
File: 148 KB, 696x1000, 27940.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20084698
Just finished this 1973 issue and was quite pleased with it, noticed today that the magazine is still in print. Anybody here read it recently?

>> No.20085257

>>20085241
Do you have any specific recommendations?

>> No.20085261

>>20085254
I had it for about 10 years, but then due to a series of unfortunate events and also the new editor, it lapsed last year. I wrote about several of the issues in this thread

>> No.20085264

>>20085257
No.

>> No.20085276

>>20085254
>>20085261
You can see most of them here.

>>/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=magazine+fantasy&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=sffg&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=all&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

>> No.20085295
File: 345 KB, 2000x1500, a-series-of-unfortunate-events-jim-carrey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20085261
>due to a series of unfortunate events
Do tell.

>> No.20085309

>>20085295
>>20085264

>> No.20085316

daily reminder eragon really wasn't that bad and people only criticise it to be edgy

>> No.20085332

>>20085316
I can't remember when I finished reading it, but I distinctly don't really remember much of the characters. Eragon himself felt like he was interesting at first, and then just became "vague hero person". It felt like we were less and less in the head of this guy and more just watching hero-man be a hero. The hammer guy was interesting-ish, but everybody generally felt very flat.

>> No.20085348
File: 47 KB, 318x461, 40885.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I loved this. I was already a huge Vance fan due to Dying Earth but this feels totally different. The only problem I have with it is that there isn't enough if an epilogue about what a monomaniac like Kirth Gersen does after defeating the Demon Princes

>> No.20085382

>>20085316
Its a star wars rip off cuz old man and farm boy

>> No.20085412
File: 61 KB, 300x400, 300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20085417
File: 9 KB, 200x200, pepe-raz_125945743_orig_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>A wind had dropped into the silence, and the scent of the onlookers filled his nostrils: the bitter of rotting teeth, the ink of armpits, the honey of unwashed anuses, all shot through with strands of balsam, orange, and jasmine. And for a moment it seemed he stood within a great circle of apes, hunched and unwashed, watching him with dark and dumbfounded eyes.

>> No.20085438

anyone recommend a series that focuses on characters rather than plot (like robin hobb)1

>> No.20085457
File: 195 KB, 1200x743, D8OLA6vXsAEEyAe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where the fuck is my tribal witch doctor fantasy book? Also FUCK cajuns and FUCK new orleans

>> No.20085471

>>20085457
Vodoo books?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36933014-d-moren

>> No.20085474

>>20084767
you hate egwene because youre a sexist. seriously. why should egwene not use the power she has found? rand does. he is a sheepherder who becomes ruler of several nations through conquest and makes loads of arbitrary changes and orders people around. he is ten times more arrogant than egwene

>> No.20085537

>>20085417
kek what is this from?

>> No.20085648

>>20083472
Because tyrion didn't see. He closed his eyes.

>> No.20085651

>>20084752
weeper

>> No.20085667

>>20084767
>started
She did basically the same thing on a smaller scale in Emond's Field since she was the mayor's daughter and queen Stacy pseudo-engaged to the biggest Chad in town. That's just who she always was. It just got more pronounced when she got power over creation as well.
>>20085474
>arbitrary changes
>t. Noble fucking shit
Hang yourself. Also, he was literally insane and the actual chosen one. Comparing Rand and Egwene's mental state to make her seem better is completely laughable.

>> No.20085713

>>20084767
>In the end, Perrin tells Rand that Egwene is smarter than they are, and Rand silently agrees. What the hell?
Sanderson's books barely count for plot and certainly don't count for characterization.

>> No.20085715

>>20083406
something similar happened to me, although i stopped reading after 50 pages or so. the guy who recommended it to me is a good friend and someone i admire in many ways, so i was shocked that he could find that book good, he even compared it to lotr i think or something similar. since then i judge people much less harshly for their tastes, i have my opinion and they have theirs and i try not to think too much about how fucking wrong they are sometimes, and to not think less of them. we must separate people tastes from their other qualities

>> No.20085721

>>20085537
prince of nothing

>> No.20085727

>>20084710
city and the city is alright, more of a crime book.

>> No.20085729

>>20083749
>the prose is shit but it's expected from science fiction written by a stem autist
the prose is actually great, it's part of what the book is about. it's the characters speaking

>> No.20085731

>>20084667
reverened insanity or martial world

>> No.20085787

Is there a progression type series or webnovel but it’s like a long-lived elf wizard learning magic as he spends decades being an adventurer?

>> No.20085808
File: 1.07 MB, 740x1184, 50663055.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20084698
Elder Race. It's a pretty neat little story do far.

>> No.20085897

>>20084710
Kraken is a really fun read

>> No.20085942

r/ProgressionFantasy/comments/thbtgs/stories_that_arent_written_by_men/

>> No.20085971

>>20085808
Is that... a satellite dish?

>> No.20085985

>>20085971
Yes

>> No.20086000
File: 904 KB, 1280x720, 1621356508062.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My kindle says I'm 6% into this and I'm not feeling it so far. Do I just drop or does it get significantly more interesting later?

>> No.20086009

>>20085985
>>20085808
So let me guess. Post apocalypse and the low tech humans find "ruins" that is just us from how many advanced years in the future?

>> No.20086012

>>20086000
The first book is acknowledged glacial pace.

>> No.20086030
File: 50 KB, 313x500, 51nEK4kbCQL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If I pushed through Street Cultivation 1 and bounced off book 2, is there much chance I'd like pic-related by the same author? It seems more interesting, potentially, but Street Cultivation just failed to make me care about anything.

>> No.20086033

>>20086012
I don't want to fall for this meme again but I've heard so many good things I think I have to keep going

>> No.20086038

>>20086033
enjoy bridge running for 80% of the book
and shallan lol

>> No.20086047

>>20086033
Series so far has peaked at books 2/3 depending who you ask. Book 1 is basically "Learn about Kaladin and Dalinar and also Shallan is there". Kaladin's part in particular feels like the "implied rough backstory to the edgy-ish good guy" that almost always isn't actually shown. And it's just as miserable as something like that should be.

>> No.20086097

>>20086009
No, not at all.

>> No.20086162

>>20086030
female authors only get worse over time

>> No.20086218

>>20086000
I haven't read it but 6% in the first book seems way too early to be dropping a series that aims to be epic fantasy.

>> No.20086226

>>20086218
That's, what, 60 pages? A pretty low amount to quit out at, yeah.

>> No.20086246

>>20086009
Not at all

>> No.20086301

>>20086030
That was better than Street Cultivation. There was no Sister complex shit. It wasn't anything new, but it was entertaining enough.

>> No.20086308

>>20086301
Honestly the sister stuff was the only remotely... Personable thing about Rick. I just disliked how absurdly passive Rick was as a protagonist, it rarely felt like he chose to do anything, and I get some of that was to highlight the oppressive cultivation-capitalism thing going on, but it overall just made Rick feel like he was getting pinballed from plot point to plot point. I only barely started the second book and for whatever reason it just failed to even remotely grip me despite having a clearer plot hook, because Rick feels like a character whose entire motivation is "avoid the core plot as much as possible".

>> No.20086315

>>20085348
I'm about to read the last book. It really has been a treat to read, but then again, I've yet to read a Vance book I didn't like. How did he do it?

>> No.20086357

>>20086009
>So let me guess.
>Post apocalypse
Yes and no. There's been an apocalypse-type of event (more like a catastrophe), but not in "this" world.
>and the low tech humans find "ruins" that is just us from how many advanced years in the future?
While this happened before the story, this time it's technically alien technology.

>> No.20086358

>>20086030
I tried soulhome and the only reason I read its sequel was because I downloaded both for a 12 hour flight and just blasted through them both.

The execution is just not there: All characters are cardboard cutouts and the main draw of the series, the "super cool new cultivation system," is somehow simultaneously over developed and glacially slow. The overarching plot matches pace with the MC's cultivation progress and character development, which is to say it goes practically nowhere in 2 full books.

>> No.20086363

>>20086358
>>20086301
I'll see about it. I'm not usually THAT big on cultivation, but I did at least enjoy Cradle, though that's hardly a typical cultivation story I feel.

>> No.20086477

>>20086308
yeah I actually like Rick but he's a terrible protagonist

>> No.20086485

>>20086477
I suppose that makes sense. Rick would be a decent side-character, but he's just so not proactive. And I can get that at the start, but the first book had this bit in the narration where it talked about how Rick was now actively seeking things out to improve his life instead of just coasting and I was like "Is he? He's still just ping-ponging around through basically no say of his own". Maybe it gets better midway through book 2, but I just did not feel enthused to read that.

>> No.20086487

>>20083660
My favorite is Dungeon Crawler Carl, but I'm not sure it's a good introduction

>> No.20086530

>>20083206
I gave fantasy a genuine chance, It's true that Bakker was solid and I'm glad I read him but I'm pretty disappointed in the general stuff. You can write anything you want in fantasy but so much of it miraculously manages to feel stale. It's just the same shit over and over again, it's like if I was reading sci-fi but the only genre I could pick from was space opera, it's exhausting.
So I told myself "I'll make my own fantasy" and after working on it... I realised I was making a fucking king Arthur story.
Wtf is this.

>> No.20086548

>>20086530
Nothing new under the sun, every 'new' idea has already been done in some form so just focus on execution. Unless it's absolutely stale trash it can still be good.

>> No.20086584

It doesn't matter how much anything has been done before if you've never personally seen it before.

>> No.20086594

>>20083206
What’s the best Arthurian fantasy?

>> No.20086603

>>20086584
Honestly, becoming too familiar with tropes can make reading feel a bit tiresome. I tend to stop thinking about it too harshly, because tropes are just tools, though sometimes I'll read a part that's just "The author is doing this because that's what you do here and doesn't seem to know WHY you do this here". It's like that thing about "The director has learned that sometimes, other directors tilt their camera, but he hasn't understood why", if you recognise tropes, you start to REALLY be bothered by tropes being used without understanding.

>> No.20086623

>>20083660
I'm not sure if there's really an established #1 but I'll list a few webnovels for your consideration:

Translated: Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, Ark the legend, The Tutorial is Too Hard, Kumo desu ga nani ka?, Dungeon Defense

English Original: The Calamitous Bob, Dungeon Crawler Carl, Vainqueur the Dragon, He who fights with monsters

LMS is probably the most popular, but it's by no means perfect. There are an infinite number of trash-tier ones if that's what you're into but very little actually stands out.

>> No.20086636

Why do people hate AFFC so much?
I fucking hate plotfags

>> No.20086645
File: 816 KB, 1690x2560, 17D23F5D-4832-42FD-BD81-9E85B518CC47.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thoughts?

>> No.20086648

>>20086623
Does LMS even qualify? It's explicitly taking place within an MMO. I guess broadly speaking it is one, but it feels like a LitRPG generally has those elements existing for real.

>> No.20086653
File: 11 KB, 226x300, r-scott-bakker-45f6e2ce-764d-4b7b-bd0b-a08ebfb410f-resize-750.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bakker is sublime
Sandy ain't worth a dime

>> No.20086659

>>20086648
I don't think that's true -- lots of Russian litrpg has the game world and the real world as separate entities, with some interplay between the two (the top clan can't accept defeat and retaliates in the real world and such).

>> No.20086669

>>20086659
Does it? I'm not wholly familiar with LitRPG as a genre, but I was generally under the impression it was similar, but separate from series where it was an MMO. Like, Solo Leveling is a LitRPG, but Log Horizon wouldn't be, to reference well known-ish stuff.

>> No.20086670

>>20086648
ehh idk, I'm defining 'litrpg' very loosely in the sense that anything with game-like elements makes the cut for me. It's also relatively common to have some explicit "video game action but actually it was real the whole time" bullshit so it's hard to keep the categories separated.

>> No.20086683

>>20086670
Fair. Like, where would Hardcore Leveling Warrior fit, to reference something that's... I dunno if that was originally a novel like LMS (I only know of LMS because of the adaptation), but the MMO in that is explicitly another, game-like world that has its own people that players just pop into.

>> No.20086688
File: 30 KB, 500x464, 1534958627067.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't feel Supreme anymore, I don't know man, I just feel defeated

>> No.20086705
File: 62 KB, 626x950, s-l1600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20086688
Chin up King! this YOUR general, you WILL always Rule Supreme if you keep the Bakker torch high, Bakker reigns and Bakkerchads rule, this is the natural order /sffg/.

>> No.20086716

Oh no, we were discussing things too much, he's here.

>> No.20086719

>>20086669
Haven't read either of those. Try The Way of the Shaman by Mahanenko and Dark Herbalist by Atamanov for an intro to Russians. They like a little guy plays with the bigs through cleverness and exploits in a game with real stakes, but gets escalated into the game of life. I enjoy them. They play kind of American from a hundred years ago, bootstraps and good play, like a Heinlein juvie with a dose of realpolitik. Like a lot of us I'm out of step with official culture but these were fun for me.

>> No.20086730

>>20086716
More like shitting up the thread with pozzed words instead of based long form discussions about the meaningful supremes like what would kellhus do.

>> No.20086740

>>20086719
I might look at those at some point. Log Horizon is technically a light novel which I'm unclear if that falls under /lit/, but it's the whole "trapped in an MMO thing", whereas Solo Leveling is a guy gaining a game interface that only he has, but it allows him to level up and such. It's not a STRONG distinction I think, but fair.

>> No.20086741 [DELETED] 

>>20086705
>Bakker reigns and Bakkerchads rule
T R U T H
S H I N E S

>> No.20086749
File: 84 KB, 453x640, happy stuffed animal holding king.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20086594
Probably Warlord Chronicles

>> No.20086755

>>20086594
I can only remember reading two and this was years ago, but The Sword in the Stone by TH White and Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve. I don't remember much good from the second one, but The Sword in The Stone was pretty decent from what I recall.

>> No.20086762
File: 91 KB, 448x336, RP4253442.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Everyday I wake up, I say to myself "What would Kellhus do?" and Kellhus responded with the grand answer "to reign supreme" but I was left with the how, so I asked Kellhus everyday "How will I reign supreme?" and he said "total domination" and I didn't know who to dominate, so I asked Kellhus "Who should I totally dominate" and he answered "sanderson readers on /sffg/". and to this day I come here to fulfil my destiny.

>> No.20086776

>>20086683
Yeah exactly, it gets even messier with authors trying to one-up each other and subvert various tropes in increasingly hare-brained ways. It's probably not worth thinking about hard definitions of genres as it's all a marketing thing anyways. Readers that enjoy isekai game-leveling system stuff would probably also enjoy vr game stuff and vice versa. The actually important part is always going to be the quality of the plot and characterization. Also a good amount of comedy is probably needed to break up the drama and tedium if you're gunning for that patreon $$$ by putting out some webnovel thing with 1k+ chapters. LMS errs more towards the comedy side of things imo, so I'm still waiting for an actually good character-driven litrpg which doesn't devolve into harem bs or big numbers the porno.

>>20086719
Like a russian ready player one without the nostalgia shit? Might give it a shot, sounds interesting

>> No.20086779

>>20086762
based

>> No.20086794

>>20086762
kek. what book is kellhus frm

>> No.20086795

>>20086776
I haven't actually read many LitRPG books. I'm probably gonna start He Who Fights With Monsters soon, that seems a decent enough place to start.

>> No.20086798 [DELETED] 

>>20086716
Just report it instead of giving it attention.

>> No.20086800 [DELETED] 

>>20086798
I have been.

>> No.20086830

>>20086795
Yeah, I'd say that's a good as any place to start. I read up to the first major stopping point and enjoyed it for the most part. It's on my list of things to eventually get back to

have fun reading anon

>> No.20086850

>>20086830
I'm probably gonna drop the book I'm currently reading >>20085135 because... Yeah, the reasons listed above don't really improve. I also just recently read Iron Prince which... That book did not need to be 850 pages. I enjoyed it well enough by the end, even if I sort of saw basically every thing coming and there was no actual real... Plot, as such. Typos, malapropisms and occasionally just getting its own characters names wrong (there's two characters, one has the last name Kosh, the other Kent, the first appears in the first chapter after the prologue and it swaps between Kosh and Kent without rhyme or reason, and the latter is initially introduced as Kosh before switching to Kent, so I assumed they were related, but I guess not? Just weirdly unprofessional, I wonder if it's just an outdated version on Kindle) took me out of it a bit.

>> No.20086867

>>20086794
Prince of Nothing by King Bakker

>> No.20086890

>>20086653
weeper

>> No.20086893

>>20086762
Supremely based.

>> No.20086963

>>20086636
The characters GRRM introduced and the setting aren't interesting enough to carry a book without PLOT. Also, it destroyed the series.

>> No.20086975

>>20086963
I only read the books for the setting and the characters

>> No.20086980

>>20086636
It's not about plot it's about story. AFFC is just an endless series of vignettes that promise to cohere but don't.

>> No.20087015

>>20086645
Good classic fantasy without cucks

>> No.20087017

In supreme terror and agony
They scream and rage at his majesty
He is cruel in his unyielding tyranny
And under his rule they slave unhappily

Bakke is his name
Rules in honor and fame
He is cruel not tame
Your is his to claim

>> No.20087018

>>20087017
**Bakker is his name

I hate my pozzed keyboard, its so sticky

>> No.20087023

>>20087018
Did you get your poz juice all over it?

>> No.20087039

>>20087023
Its the Mormon goons pozzing my equipment, classic Mormon trickery.

>> No.20087054
File: 97 KB, 800x600, pozzed keyboard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20087018
This is the misery of Logitech, most pozzed keyboard ever

>> No.20087109

>>20087015
Sounds good, any other similar novels you can recommend?

>> No.20087122

>>20087109
non-cuck novels? I recommend Fell Sword.

>> No.20087146

>>20086867
I found the prologue and first chapter to be among the most enthralling of any book I've ever read. Sadly, everything after it never reached that level of quality again. Also, Bakker is a huge cuck.

>> No.20087151

>>20087122
Other series I meant

>> No.20087153

>>20084698
Rereading Book of the New Sun

Just finished the part where Severian rapes Jolenta

>> No.20087306

I really hate Raymond E Feist

>> No.20087317 [DELETED] 
File: 115 KB, 1024x538, DJ Kel-House.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bakker and The Boys - RAPE U
© Sony Music Entertainment

[Intro]
Fuck Trump
Haha
No Free Will
Kick it!

[Verse 1]
When there's too many Mormons in ya hood
Writing books that ain't no good
What can ya do? What can ya say?
When ya need a hit of that rock hard gay
Well call on me, I'll make you see
A literary vision of fantasy
It's mature and dark
No walk in the park
The violence is thick and the world is stark

[Verse 2]
Your soul I'll reposition
When your ground gets conditioned
Everybody who hates me
Their gender's have transitioned
So feel the thrill and embrace the nil
Of the black seed we spill
Cause the need to love is the need to kill
I'm a philosopher, a scientist
You can't even try at this
Go on Twitter to complain
Cause u a little crying bitch

[Bridge]
Aww
Here it comes here it comes y'all X 8

Rape Rape Rape (He's gonna rape you now)
Rape Rape Rape (Everyone get on the ground)
I said Rape Rape Rape (Nobody make a sound)
Gonna Rape U (He's gonna show you how)
Gonna Rape U
Woo!

>> No.20087331
File: 245 KB, 1200x628, dragonlance_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm reading the Dragonlance Chronicles and it somehow seems very good and very bad at the same time. It has excellent rhythm and is a very pleasant read, but holy SHIT, I swear every single Godawful popularly hated flanderized fantasy trope was invented by this series. But damn me if it doesn't flow so well and scratch the itch.

>> No.20087394

>>20087331
Kitiara is a fucking whore, and Tanis is stupid cuck

>> No.20087579

>>20087306
why?

>> No.20087589

>>20087306
He writes painfully generic D&D-esque fantasy but I have a soft spot for him since he was one of the earliest fantasy authors I picked up as a kid.

>> No.20087602

Anyone got recommendations for comfy fantasy? I'm talking about similar vibes as the Shire, hanging out at the tavern, lots of walking. I don't even know if such works exist.

>> No.20087613

>>20087602
If you don't mind everyone being gay then this is exactly the kind of shit that twitter/tumblr types were pushing a few years ago, Utopian fiction. But then there was a big infight about utopian fiction erasing the struggles of the real world and it imploded.

>> No.20087620

>>20087613
I doubt I'd be interested in anything Tumble pushes, but you never know. I don't think fantasy has to be 'utopian' to be comfy.

>> No.20087623

>>20083749
Autistic vampires in space, what can you expect, ends on a cliffhanger

>> No.20087633

>>20083660
I like Tree of Aeons, not particularly long because the guy only updates once a week, but I'm still following it
Chrysalis was good but I stopped reading it for reasons I forget

I've liked quite a few Chinese webnovels that are vaguely part of the genre with their systems or golden fingers

>> No.20087635

>>20084220
Which is easy because he doesn't write anything lol

>> No.20087648

>>20087635
Rothfuss is such a bizarre case. He exploded on to the scene with a ton of hype behind him, heaps of praise for Name of the Wind and everybody already talking about him like he's a big deal alongside established names who've been putting out books for decades. Then his second book comes out, and people really want to like it, but it just does not measure up to the first, and it doesn't advance the plot nearly enough for him to wrap up the story in one more book like he'd originally talked about doing. And then he just stops writing. I think he did one book of poetry or whatever but he probably had that lying around. It's been over a decade since he's published anything, I think. He still went to cons and lived the celeb author lifestyle, but then Covid hit and he just fuckin disappears off the face of the earth. He could die and nobody would know cause I don't think anybody is waiting on him at this point. He's not like GRRM who had a TV show to ensconce his writing into the public consciousness while he didn't release any new books. Rothfuss just burned out.

>> No.20087652

>>20087613
What titles do you have in mind?

>> No.20087655
File: 112 KB, 1200x630, orthos.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20087648
I like that Wight's no rockstar, he's just a stable middle-class author. Writes steadily and collects his paycheck.

>> No.20087656

>>20087602
Lyonesse by Jack Vance

>> No.20087658

>>20087655
I think it shows that the celebrity author lifestyle kills the motivation to write for a lot of authors. Unless you're Sanderson, but he's hardly human.

>> No.20087662

>>20087658
The best-selling author of all time is iirc Agatha Christie, but I wonder how much of that was during her own lifetime

>> No.20087669

Turjan of Miir is a shit story
Fuck Jack Vance

>> No.20087670

>>20087602
Belgariad by David Eddings

>> No.20087675

>>20083420
Yes, this is the only way to go forward and live sanely.

>>20083406
Was asked to read it to by my gf who read it at a preteen years ago. I told her that I thought it was trash, but was glad to indulge in her nostalgia trip. She came back to me later having looked back over it and agreed that it was shit too.
So my sense is that it's a great book for a 12 year old kid, but later reads as an adult don't hold up.

>> No.20087691
File: 554 KB, 720x402, SPEARed.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Should I read Rothfuss is I plan to write a book about a magic school?

>> No.20087693

>>20087317
Supreme

>> No.20087700

>>20087691
I haven't really read much magic school stuff, but there's gotta be better examples than Rothfuss. The magic school is hardly even in the second book.

>> No.20087704

>>20087691
Why don’t you ask the writing general about this shit.

>> No.20087706

>>20087691
You're in the wrong general. >>20084984

>> No.20087708

>>20087704
Writing general hates sff

>> No.20087709

>>20087708
And we hate writefags like you. So go to /wg/

>> No.20087714

Sandy rage and sandy scream
Bakker rules and reigns supreme

Sandy cries to his mormon team
They rage so hard they blow steam

They can't compete even in a dream
Cause Bakker prose makes pussy cream

>> No.20087717

>>20086594
As a Twain fan-boy, Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur Court will always be close to my heart

>> No.20087724

>>20087714
Sublime

>> No.20087728

>>20087714
Get a life already. No one cares about your obscure leftist progressive author.

>> No.20087752

>>20087728
Bakker poets enter the thread
Sandy fans are filed with dread
Bakker rules the poets said
Sandy fans cried in their bed

>> No.20087766

>>20087752
Total Domination, only a Bakker poet can reply with such supremacy. This is what sanderson lacks, sublime poetic cunning, and supreme poetic prose.

T R U T H
S H I N E S

>> No.20087890
File: 260 KB, 840x1080, 942809568069820.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this is how I Kellhus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEZRKgFIkxc

>> No.20088046

>>20085135
Thanks for giving it a read bro.
I appreciate your feedback even if it wasn’t your jam.
I don’t really have anything to say on the other issues you’ve raised, other than to say I’ll keep them in mind as I go on, but I did consider starting the story with her in the cell. Originally that’s where I actually started it, but early feedback was that it therefore lacked context. I expanded on it and mostly for the sake of setting up the shit with Lleyden for later on.
All the same, cheers for reading what you read. I do appreciate it :)

>> No.20088600

>>20085808
is this better than Children of Time which was very average desu

>> No.20088606

>>20084701
Storm > Clash > Dance > Game > Feast

>> No.20088609

>>20086636
AFFC is a terrible book and GRRM's editors made a massive mistake by not tard wrangling him

>> No.20088682

>>20088046
That's all fair enough, then. I read on a bit more before dropping it, but the general lack of 'feeling' to Zyntael as a character made me less interested. Also, a small thing, but the scale of things felt a little off to me. I get Zyntael's only 10 there at the start, but that feels like too old to be able to fit through a viewing hole in a door and hunch down under tables like that. Maybe that's the point, but it wasn't especially pointed out as things being bigger. As for the beginning, if you're gonna have the opening with the village, give it a bit longer to establish these characters. I only really learned anything about Zyntael, that she's weird and a bit oddly cruel about animals in passively petty way.
Overall, could be decent, but the generally lacking dialogue and text quality didn't really wrap me in.

>> No.20088733

>>20085457
Really need an answer to this. I need voodoo that isn't modern day cajun shit. Can anyone help?

>> No.20088739

Fox's Tongue and Kirin's Bone is a pretty good story. Best shit out of RR since A Standard Model of Magic.

>> No.20088753

>>20084152
>There is even a passage in there "but he doesn't know her smile like I do" and it's the absolute cringiest fucking paragraph in the entire book.
It's a meme here for a reason, it's so bad it's actually funny to read.
I even used to have it saved.

>> No.20088756

>>20088733
Powder mage has voodoo magic but it's not the focus and none of the POV characters use it. Idk if that will sate your thirst but it's all I got.

>> No.20088810

>>20085135
>feMC
Why would you even try it.

>> No.20088844

>>20083321
And now the watch is over.

>> No.20088864

>>20087394
What? Kitiara is probably the only actual strong woman I;ve ever read, sure she chooses whatever man she wants in her bed but she's using them not the other way around.
And Tanis a cuck? How? Lauralanthalasa never fucked anyone else and Tanthalas ultimately gives up on Kit precisely because he is /not/ a cuck.

>> No.20088870

>>20085227
A Princess of Mars

>> No.20088881

>>20088864
>she chooses whatever man she wants in her bed but she's using them not the other way around
show bobs

>> No.20088924

>>20085808
this was ok but kind of too short

>> No.20088979

>>20086000
>Do I just drop or does it get significantly more interesting later?
The story is an extremely slow burn. Finish the first book, then decide if you want to continue with the series.

>> No.20089066

>>20088881
She's the general of a fucking dragonarmy, she is not a gurlpower character, she actually is a badass warrior who can hold her own and then some, not a bikinimail thot propped up to be the BBEG's fuckpiece while playing at intrigue games like a whore.
This is a warrior who won the undying respect, devotion and love of one of the biggest and baddest dragons to exist in the entire history of her world.
Like I said before she is the /ONLY/ actual strong woman I have ever read, she is written like a man with ovaries.

>> No.20089081

>>20089066
Congrats on destroying your own argument. Here, let me drop your mic for you.

>> No.20089093

>>20089081
You're illiterate, my argument was that she's not a whore and he's not a cuck, you abandoned the tanthalas argument because I immediately pointed it out for the weak shit it is, and now you can't even formulate a response to my second argument, where I specifically outline who Kit is NOT a whore.
Fuckin' shit for brains over here, you think you can argue the companions with me? Bitch I knew the companions inside and out 30 FUCKING YEARS AGO! n00b.

>> No.20089099

>>20086636
I like AFFC much better than ADWD which I think becomes a massive slog, plus certain chapters wherein characters from AFFC appear, and then disappear without any reason.

>> No.20089118

>>20089093
Now, now, there's no need for hysterics. Shhhh. It'll all be ok.

>> No.20089135

>>20089118
And more of this dumb little shitstain not being able to word an argument for the topic at hand.
You need to be 18 to post here, fuckwit.

>> No.20089148

>>20086719
How would I find other Russian series? Is there a website for this? I've read a lot of webnovels from korea, china, japan and the west, and I've always wanted to try learning how to read stuff in Russian. Considering that the level of these novels in other languages doesn't seem to be that high, it shouldn't be too hard for beginners.

>> No.20089301
File: 321 KB, 860x1054, Appy_appu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think we can all agree that all Lit-RPG's are the litterative equivalent of third-rate fast food? Am I right or am I right?

>> No.20089310

>>20089301
I don't think they're inherently trash, I think they just attract trashy writers because people see it as an 'easy' way to write something kinda shlocky. Also far too many get into the trap of focusing too much on the stats and whatnot over the characters and story, so it's really not engrossing. A cool progression system can only hold attention for so long.

>> No.20089337

What are some lovecraftian inspired fantasies?

>> No.20089379

>>20089301
Lit-RPG is the equivalent of eating those little sweetener pills. Disgusting and completely missing the point.

>> No.20089380

>>20089337
A recent-ish read was Will Wight's Elder Empire series, which has a lot of elder god 'things' going on around. It was pretty good, though it's more Lovecraftian, not really inspired by Lovecraft, if that makes sense. It has the trappings of it, and the sheer overwhelmingness of them is played up pretty well, but it's not quite "they send you insane just by existing".

>> No.20089386

>>20089301
The only place I hear about Lit-RPGs is in this general and other autistic boards, is it popular in normie world?

>> No.20089391

>>20089386
people don't read in the normie world and honestly I have never heard anyone talking about litrpgs. Most of the normies are into superpower fantasies.

>> No.20089405

What's the scifi version of Team Yankee? I liked having a few main characters but following the actions of the group as a whole

>> No.20089440

>>20083888
Like a regular 80 year old or a Susan Sarandon 80 year old

>> No.20089450

>>20083206
Where do you guys get your recs besides the reading charts cause this thread ain't helping

>> No.20089457

>>20089450
I search for them myself, like you should be doing also.

>> No.20089473

>>20089457
but like how? there's just so much to read and no sites to filter?

>> No.20089499

>>20089473
Ask Jeeves. He had good taste.

>> No.20089507

>>20089301
>>20089310
>>20089386
what the fuck is a litRPG

>> No.20089515

>>20089507
Literature RPG, where RPG mechanics such as leveling, experience, skills, and points are used as a system for the main character to progress.

>> No.20089516

>>20089507
No one knows, but everyone shits on it to feel better about themselves.

I feel like lit-RPG is garbage and trash, only trash people would read trashy things like lit-RPG.

>> No.20089523

>>20089516
>I feel like lit-RPG is garbage and trash, only trash people would read trashy things like lit-RPG.
So true, I would never be trashy like those lit-rpg reader, I rather die than read trashy trash like lit-rpg.

>> No.20089567 [DELETED] 

The truth

Lit-RPGs = Steaming pile of trash

>> No.20089612

>>20089516
Most new fantasy is trash litrpg or not

>> No.20089626

I wish 99% of r/ProgressionFantasy wasnt litrpg, can’t get no goddam recommendations, it’s all soulless Chinese Cradle, mediocre Mother of Learning, faggot Sufficiently Advanced Magic. Then the rest are litrpg webnovels that have no grasp of the English language.

>> No.20089641

>>20089626
I've seen people SUPER recommending Iron Prince and I just don't get why. I enjoyed Cradle and Arcane Ascension well enough, but Iron Prince is just sort of 850 pages of not a lot actually happening. It's a slow burn towards nothing.

>> No.20089651

>>20089626
I forgot Mage Errant which is probably because of how forgettable and lackluster everything in the story is.

>> No.20089661
File: 39 KB, 700x393, 1635059935478.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This was an enjoyable popcorn story. Are there any other fun cultivation stories where the protagonist isn't a souless bugman like the Reverend Insanity guy or K*lhus?

>> No.20089689

>>20089661
Never going to read it shill

>> No.20089698

>>20089689
You don't read books anyway schizo.

>> No.20089764

>>20089651
Mage Errant was already trash BEFORE the author tried to cash in on homofaggotry

>First book starts out with the bullied useless wizard in magic school
>Then he gets a teacher and genin squad who all explain their backstories to each other and become instant friends
>Then they go into the dungeon and get caught up in the chamber of secrets while Draco is trying to bully them
All right not bad it's a novella length story anywhere let's see where he goes with this
>Next book immediately yeets the entire magic school premise, now they're on a skyship going through the desert, epic fucking fight scene against sky pirates and shit yeah! and then they're in the town and they're battling shit yeah! and let's have some more battles when they go to the bathroom yeah! These 10 year olds are just kicking ass and killing people its so fucking brutal man yeah!

>> No.20089797

>>20089661
The hero of A Thousand Li acts like a Canadian in a xianxia setting

>> No.20089835

>>20089301
Fast food, yes. But I wouldn't say they're all third rate.

>> No.20089844

>>20089626
>Chinese Cradle
>implying that the copycat was the creator
lost

>> No.20089849

>>20089391
There's crossover. The Perfect Run is a superpower litrpg. And it's pretty good. Strangely I can't stand superpowered anything except books -- movies, tv, comics I just can't take it. But books I can handle.

>> No.20089860

>>20089661
Beware of Chicken is not bad, and the MC is not a souless bugman. As another anon wrote Thousand Li is another novel to check out. Honestly that's about it as competently written non-edgy western cultivation stories are concerned.
Dead genre, sadly.

>> No.20089861

>>20089797
>a Canadian
So, Chinese?

>> No.20089901

A Thousand Li is comical at times, the amount of times it mentions of them being in some wilderness setting casually swatting monsters like they're swarms of mosquitos instead of hordes of giant monster bears trying to rip them apart is hilarious

>> No.20089904

>>20089797
>>20089860
Real answers. I'll take a look, thanks! Maybe /sffg/ isn't totally dead yet.

>> No.20089932
File: 46 KB, 480x270, 1hj3vt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has anybody read anything new or does this general only discuss the past glories of sffg?

>> No.20089947

>>20089932
just look two and four posts up from yours, laddie

>> No.20089963

>>20089947
>>20089947
Read A thousand li. System apocalypse was better.

>> No.20089994

>>20089963
>System apocalypse
Total trash.
Kinda OK at the beginning, but goes bad real fast. Grinding EXP is way too boring and MC is way too pathetic. And the System makes it all worse.
Honestly Ruthless Heavens (from the otherwise middling Defiance of the Fall) is the only System that wasn't atrocious.

>> No.20090004

>>20083206
Please god tell me if there's a progression fantasy that isn't litrpg or cultivation, especially one that is not for the love of god a webnovel.

>> No.20090014

>>20090004
Mage Errant.
If you can stomach glacial pacing and just okay characters, Iron Prince is a sci-fi progression thing.

>> No.20090020

>>20090014
And can you tell me what kind of magic system this Mage Errant has?

>> No.20090029

>>20089301
For NPC types who were totally ruined by public school and video games. Its continual fantasy-play for the types who would have been blind fanatics to the church's system in a prior age.

Its for brains that can't really imagine what actual competence and gain of skill is like, can't accept or formulate that abstract notion of the whole person simply just being better. An omniscient 'system' had to be the arbiter of power, you arent truly powerful unless this system of numbers and concrete progression levels ALLOWS you to be so.

Just like how one can only be smart or knowledgeable in a topic if you have the magical piece of paper that a place with lots of large buildings filled with other magic paper holders gives you.

>> No.20090031

>>20090020
Basically everybody who can use magic has affinities, and they can learn all kinds of magic that are within those affinities. For example, one character has steel, stone and stench affinities, and there's a thing with affinities where more specific ones are generally more powerful, so steel is more powerful than iron, but more specific. They just get more skilled, learn more spells, get higher mana capacity and get more magical gear.

>> No.20090032

>>20090014
It's not progression fantasy.
>>20090004
Why do you want a progression fantasy? From hating both cultivation and litrpg it seems you dislike more rigid systems, and it's the only way to make progression fantasy.

>> No.20090033 [DELETED] 
File: 1009 KB, 2092x2559, 1595343848655.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sci-Fi is contaminated with pozzed, and people give it a pass because "future and dystopia haha", this is double standards, if Fantasy did a little bit of pozzed (like Conan simping a little bit) you completely shit on it and expose it as a pozzed simp pulp fiction.

>> No.20090041

>>20090032
The author advertises it as progression fantasy, at least. Continual improvement of the protagonists is a thing, even if it's not strictly quantified or ranked.

>> No.20090052

>>20090031
So its nonexistent bullshit like series such as Mother of Learning where there is no basis for magic but it just is?

>> No.20090056

>>20090041
He stops appreciably improving.

>> No.20090057 [DELETED] 

>>20090033
Or if Fantasy has a little bit of cuckolding people act like its pozzed when cuckolding is natural and existed in medieval times.

>> No.20090065

>>20090052
>there is no basis for magic but it just is
you just described every fantasy
and even our modern science, once you go deep enough into it, 'it just is' without any reason we could understand
grow up, kid

>> No.20090068 [DELETED] 
File: 26 KB, 378x361, 1644585583505.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lit-RPG copers are seething ITT

>> No.20090074 [DELETED] 
File: 621 KB, 593x580, 1644585088203.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20090068
This is the misery of the Lit-RPG reader.

>> No.20090075

>>20083660
they are all shit

>> No.20090081

>>20090052
It's got some strictness to the system, but you're basically asking for "Are there any progression fantasies that aren't LitRPG/cultivation that quantify things like LitRPGs/cultivation?", and that's hard to really put into practice. I'd say Arcane Ascension has that, they have quantifiable mana counts and tiers of power, but they don't cultivate, they just use it and get better.

>> No.20090083

>>20083206
What’s the best choose your own adventure fantasy?

>> No.20090092

>>20090056
I've read all 5 books that're out so far and every protagonist markedly improves every book. It's not the major focal point of the story that they get better, but it is a constant of the story.

>> No.20090093

>>20090065
It really isn't, science describes the world, if there was magic in this world the fundamentals of reality would be drastically different. The systems you are talking about have just no logical basis for why they are there, and its not that the author is just leaving that out for fantasy sake but that the author did not think of it at all. In these stories you'll see the author steer away from explaining why the main character got powerful because they don't know how to explain it in the first place. They just add in whatever bullshit fantasy concept they want just for story sake and not think it through. That is what I mean when a magic system just is.

>> No.20090094
File: 64 KB, 1000x562, americanpsychointro-1601495573.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lit-RPGs will never be Supreme, YOU HEAR ME, WILL NEVER BE SUPREME!

>> No.20090103

>>20090094
We know, litrpgs are trashy garbage.

>> No.20090124 [DELETED] 
File: 9 KB, 480x360, hqdefault (3).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Chinese writers declare their reign
The ways of Bakker no longer supreme

:(

>> No.20090125

>>20090093
Anon...
You may be retarded. We don't know why a photon has no resting mass yet has a momentum, 'it just is'. Once you go deep enough, there's no explanation for why the world functions the way it does.

>> No.20090128

There's nothing gayer than "magic systems"

>> No.20090133

>>20090125
The world functions the way it does by the rules it is given.
Your author's shity fantasies have no rules they are based upon and magic is just is.

>> No.20090137 [DELETED] 
File: 82 KB, 494x760, 1647288127729.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20090124
Bullshit

Bakker rules in eternal reign
Chinese rebels will taste pain
The ways of Bakker always cruel
Cause no one dares to oppose his rule

>> No.20090142

>>20090137
Sublime

>> No.20090147

>>20090093
Actually Mage Errant does explain its magic. Basically there's the aether, which exists just sort of off to the side of reality, and it's generated by the slow inexorable heat death of the universe. There's a multiverse talked about, and universes nearing heat death are so suffused with aether that only hyper-adapated demons can survive, and usually they bust out into other universes rather than remain in their own.

>> No.20090150

>>20090133
>the rules it is given
By whom? We don't know, 'it just is'. Accept it, you are a big boy now.

>> No.20090155

>>20090133
>The world functions the way it does by the rules it is given.
Nice catch 22 retard

>> No.20090156 [DELETED] 

>>20090124
Pozzed poetry with non-rhymes
>>20090137
non-pozzed poetry with rhymes

(this is how you do it)

>> No.20090158

>jannies unironically deleting Bakkerposting
Fucking kek

>> No.20090164 [DELETED] 

Bakker poetry is illegal now? is the Mormon reigning on us?

>> No.20090168 [DELETED] 

>>20090164
You may mock him now, but after his death Brando will become a god. And His fanatics shall reincarnate on His planet, where they delight in endless superpowered fighting bouts utilising meticulously crafted magic systems.

>> No.20090175 [DELETED] 

>>20090158
Now only sanderson and lit-rpg discussions are allowed, Its pozzed, the only artistic posters who care about quality and prose are Bakker posters, and they actually have long form discussions unlike lit-rpg fags who know nothing but seething and coping.

>> No.20090196 [DELETED] 
File: 1.09 MB, 800x1008, ugliest_bakker_fan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bakkerchads remember that even Kellhus had to suffer on the Umiaki tree. Only through suffering one achieves salvation.

>> No.20090207

>>20089450
I ask the algorithm on Storygraph. Sometimes i get trash, but sometimes I get something good I'd have never picked up. It's a bit of a fun game.

>> No.20090210 [DELETED] 

>>20090164
spamming has always been against the rules
even if the rules are rarely enforced
honestly the rules are pretty pozzed too, even just discussing the rules is against the rules, for example

>> No.20090219 [DELETED] 
File: 12 KB, 225x225, kellhus-kellhus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kellhus manipulate with might
Bringer of truth in form of light

A blonde beast with eyes of blue
The eyes that sees what is true

Tall and strong in the face of crimes
The lie fades and the truth shines

>> No.20090228 [DELETED] 
File: 87 KB, 241x264, Kellhussssss.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20090196
What would Kellhus do? if they banned him from his favorite general?

>> No.20090234

>>20090219
>The lie fades and the truth shines
K I N O

>> No.20090236

>>20090133
Based retard.

>>20090125
My first non-introductory physics course was mindblowing in this regard. There is so, so much that just is. We have no conception of why, just that it is and its consequences. Most of the math in most of physics is just a statistical or arithmetic (read: fiat) model to describe emergent properties of things we have no way of currently understanding.

>> No.20090273
File: 37 KB, 314x499, 51a5E7I0ytL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20090083

>> No.20090408

Have popped in here only a few times over the past several months, and every fucking time the Bakker fags are still shitting up the thread... I hope you all die painful deaths as a result of a massive gangrape

>> No.20090422 [DELETED] 

>>20090408
Just report their posts, the jannies and mods are dealing with them.

>> No.20090423

>>20090207
Thanks this looks good

>> No.20090427

>>20090236
>statistical or arithmetic (read: fiat) model
What do you mean?

>> No.20090437

>>20090155
>>20090150
I'm sorry I can't explain it to you guys, it's my incompetency in not being able to teach concepts for 'simpler' minds.

>> No.20090442

>>20090437
this is a concession if I ever seen one
thanks for playing

>> No.20090456 [DELETED] 

Przez ostatnią dekadę widziałem w całości Ostrzobiegacza, Upadającego Mężczyznę, Króla Artura: Legendę Miecza, Księgowego, oraz Trzy Billboardy.
Proszę o inne propozycje kinowe dla anonka.
DUNC potrzebuje nie aplikować, czytałem książkę i była słaba, film może być tylko gorszy.

>> No.20090475

>>20090437
Keep on trucking, hyper-intellect bro

>> No.20090497

>>20090000

>> No.20090506

Why is it so hard to find intelligent male protagonists in fantasy. Its either female or beta male, no in between. I want someone who desires power and has the mind to get it.

>> No.20090545

>>20090423
It's a bit hit or miss and if you read the wrong book, your recommendations get horribly skewed.
I read one trashy erotic novel and now my recommendations are full of other trashy erotic novels. But you can always look a bit more targeted, so that's that.
It recommended me Under Pressure once, and it was the best book I've read lately.

>> No.20090570

>>20087714
>>20087752
BakkerCHADS!

>> No.20090578

>>20090020
mage errant is shit, don't read it

>> No.20090579

>>20090545
im trying it right now and even if I put down male protagonist it won't recommend male protagonists, maybe my hopes were really just too high. Though, literature really needs a review website where there are multiple descriptors for genre, protagonist, setting, etc...

>> No.20090610

>>20090545
My Kindle recommendations are fucked because I used the early days of my Kindle Unlimited reading binge to see some smut stuff, see if it was any good (it mostly wasn't) and it's STILL recommending me like ten books in the same series that're all just "Series Name 1/2/3/4".

>> No.20090651

>>20090125
actually it's worse than that, momentum is only properly defined in the context of special relativity and as soon as you have a nontrivial spacetime metric all bets are off (GR). All questions we have about the standard model and aspects of the fundamental particles are likely ill-posed since gravity is such a bitch

>>20090427
He probably means that there's no real reason for the world to behave in a way compatible with mathematics. The fundamental assumption of Physics is that the universe behaves in some way consistent with some some mathematical model. E.g. if you drop an apple on earth, common sense tells you it'll fall, but if you try to make any predictions about how the apple falls you have to stop and define to yourself what positions and velocities are. Then you have to make the assumption that your definitions of positions and velocities match up to what's actually happening when you drop an apple and then test out different models for where the apple will be, at what time, and how fast it's falling. Eventually you find one that fits as best as you can by repeating tests over and over and building up statistics and then BAM, you've got the Universal Theorem of Falling Apples.

I think I've gone way off topic, but I don't care for over-developed magic systems which have to take you out of the story every six seconds to explain to you how everything seems unbelievable but actually its in the spirit of einsteins third musing on hyper-entropic-uber-ball-scratching. Usually the author fundamentally misinterprets something about irl physycs which triggers me or otherwise fucks up the self-consistency of their system.

>> No.20090710

>>20090579
I've forgotten about the survey you can fill out. Found it interesting that you can select "Written by women/female-heavy cast" or something along the lines but not the same with male authors/characters.
I don't mind female authors and characters, not at all, but this really grinds me.
Anyway. Many years ago, I just used to look up things like "Fantasy novels with roguish characters" or something in a search engine and always found good lists/blog entries/websites giving recommendations. Nowadays, thanks to how the internet works, it gets increasingly harder and more frustrating

>> No.20090750

>>20090710
Yah its horrible instead of showing independent sites it'll go through every single popular site that is not even related to novels before it goes to personal blogs.

>> No.20090769

You guys ever read Superhero literature? I only know of Worm and its sequel, Ward. But any other?

>> No.20090786

>>20090769
Soon I Will Be Invincible

>> No.20090792

>>20090786
>Soon I Will Be Invincible
From a quick research, the one that parodies Marvel comics?

>> No.20090795

>>20084698
Reading Vance’s Dying Earth. I love wizards fucking with each other

>> No.20090809

>>20090792
"Parodies" is a little strong. It's one of those genre-playful things but I liked it.

>> No.20090820

>>20090809
Yeah, parody might have been the wrong word to use, but from the synopsis, it's very interesting. I'll check on it more later.

>> No.20090854

>>20090710
Its not the internet its the search engine that is the problem, kike owned search engines aren't made to get you where you need to be but to waste your time on ads. After trying a lot of them I found the most accurate to be startpage.com . I hope this help

>> No.20090880
File: 497 KB, 699x992, 53031FBD-D86F-4DD7-A028-F0A4F3285C65.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Neither fantasy or Science fictions have any good Yandere characters
>Self-publish Yandere Characters are just masturbatory for the author’s self-insert
Fucking hell, you would think such a character would be more widespread.

>> No.20090887

>>20090854
I use various searx instances that, so far, give me the best results.
Startpage pays Google to display their results, btw. It protects your privacy, yes, but you still get Google results without the targeted advertising.

>> No.20090904

>>20090880
Yanderes nowadays have to either be villains or REALLY carefully handled heroes, because that kind of unhinged possessiveness is hard to justify in a 'good person', and there's also the notion that you're romanticising abusive behaviour if you make one get a happy ending.

>> No.20090906

>>20090880
>good character
>yandere
pick one

>> No.20090912

>>20090906
I think it CAN be done right, but if you push the romantic part too far you get weirdoes fetishing them and ignoring the character, if you push the crazy too far you get people just bored by them unless you have a REALLY entertaining crazy.

>> No.20090926

NEW THREAD WHEN?

>> No.20090935

>>20090926
Why make a new thread when this one is still useable?

>> No.20090941

>>20090926
We’re barely in page 4. Have some patient.

>> No.20090950

>>20090904
My gripe is that it’s all one-dimensional. Have some nuance for fuck sakes. Especially when fan fictions do it better, it’s all a shame.

>> No.20090956

>>20090950
Fair. I think the problem is almost any more developed 'yandere' character ceases being a yandere because they, by definition, don't have much nuance.

>> No.20090958

>>20090906
Could be done, if an author cares enough. Problem is that very few authors care to begin with.

>> No.20090963

>>20090941
>t. doesn’t know how bump limits work
Sup newfag

>> No.20090968

>>20090958
Well the problem is you pretty much have to have them be a villain, or have it be a thing a more protagonist-y one grows out of, because obsessively violent with loving somebody is not exactly a trait you want to 'reward'.

>> No.20090969

>>20090963
Thread autosage. But why make a new thread when we can still use this thread.

>> No.20090985

>>20090968
>Well the problem is you pretty much have to have them be a villain
Not really an issue when villain protagonist has been done before.

>or have it be a thing a more protagonist-y one grows out of, because obsessively violent with loving somebody is not exactly a trait you want to 'reward'.
But why? Not all main characters have to be good or heroic. Following a story of a villain would be interesting and its own reward for the reader.

>> No.20090991

>>20090985
Sure, but generally speaking, it's considered off if you, as the author, reward a villain ultimately. A villain protagonist can exist, but it's hard to pull off and feel like it's justified, because people like to see evil punished.

>> No.20090998

>>20090887
thanks for the advice

>> No.20091000

>Wanting a yandere over a sexy kuudere
I shiggy wiggy

>> No.20091009

>It is August 1899, and Thomas Edison proclaims his most amazing invention yet: the Spirit Phone Model SP-1. At nearly the same time, a cocksure young mage named Aleister Crowley inexplicably teleports into the home of Edison’s arch-rival, renowned inventor Nikola Tesla.
>As insanity and suicide multiply among spirit phone users, Crowley and Tesla combine their respective skills in “magick” and technology to investigate the device’s actual origin and ultimate purpose.
https://www.bhcpress.com/Books_OKeefe_The_Spirit_Phone.html

>> No.20091017

>>20090991
>it's considered off if you, as the author, reward a villain ultimately.
Sometimes Villains win. An author's personal feelings shouldn't be a factor into it.

>A villain protagonist can exist, but it's hard to pull off and feel like it's justified, because people like to see evil punished.
And you also have people wanting to see a villain protagonist, not to mention they would rarely, if ever, see them in the wrong. Daenerys is a famous example.

>> No.20091023

>>20091017
It depends on the framing, admittedly, but it's hard to get behind a villain who is just the biggest evil, without some element of tragedy to it.

>> No.20091031

>>20090998
np. I used startpage for some time, too, then duckduckgo and then qwant. In the end, I thought having a few searx instances that target different engines was the best compromise.
Searx.me gives you a good list. Pick a few, see how they work. Sometimes, an instance craps out for a bit, so it's good to have a few others. They also protect your privacy.

>> No.20091047

I wish GRRM had decided to include random one off POV chapters throughout his books and not just as an prologue/epilogue

>> No.20091060
File: 143 KB, 600x847, 3F73EA0C-6957-470F-8EA9-E93DE8B103E5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20091000
>sexy kuudere
You mean act like a complete and total ice queen? Who the fuck would want that. Wanting a Yandere makes sense, not a Kuudere.

>> No.20091073

>>20091047
Wouldn't that ruin the pacing of his story?

>> No.20091084

>>20086645
Actually really enjoyed this series. One of the few books to actually get violence right in its description and brutality. Doesnt shy away from the more miserable parts of medieval life.

>> No.20091085

>>20091073
It's one of the reasons why he dropped the Asshai plotline with Daenerys. Would ruin the pacing.

>> No.20091110

>>20091085
Good. Daenerys plot line is the weakest part of his story telling. Followed by Ramsay Bolton.

>> No.20091121

>>20083206
MAKE THE NEW FUCKING THREAD ALREADY

>> No.20091129

>>20091121
Literally why? We’re in page 5. A new thread should be made at page 10 or 11

>> No.20091131

>>20091121
Read these posts.
>>20090935
>>20090941

>> No.20091135

>>20091110
>Followed by Ramsay Bolton.
Don't remind me. How a literal dumbass made it as far as he did surprises me. Especially when Characters get killed for making small mistakes.

>> No.20091147

>>20091135
>How a literal dumbass made it as far as he did surprises me.
It’s called author fiat and GRRM uses it heavily on his stories. Still mad that Stannis lost the Battle of Blackwater Bay.

>> No.20091154

>>20091129
>>20091131
Who the fuck cares if there’s two threads at once? The old one will be in the archive within 10 minutes

>> No.20091158

>>20091154
Anon, just wait. Christ.

>> No.20091166

>>20091135
Also, forgot to mention, but Ramsay isn't a complete dumbass. Yeah, he's a low-functioning sociopath compared to this father, but if Roose had listen to him, Stannis would have been defeated and died instead of having to fight him in whatever village he's at.

>> No.20091168

>>20091154
Why do you need a new thread, you can talk here too anon try it.

>> No.20091183

>>20091135
Characters like him are great for getting your readers worked up. They want to see him pulled down and killed like a lot of the other vicious cunts in the story were. People go on about how GRRM kills off good characters but he kills plenty of the scumbags too. Letting Arya get some vengeance on Gregor's men was a bit of catharsis for the readers, after having to see her suffer so much. I have a feeling some similar comeuppance is due for Ramsay but GRRM's writer's block prevented the readers from ever getting it.

>> No.20091190

>>20091166
>but Ramsay isn't a complete dumbass.
He quite literally is. Just because Theon is a complete and utter dumbass who trusted him doesn’t change that. Also, stop taking things out of context, Ramsay didn’t know shit at the time, so he looked and sounded like a idiot for even suggesting it.

>> No.20091196

>>20091047
Jordan did that increasingly as WoT went on, and it just bloated the books to all hell. He already had enough perspective bloat adding all those new PoVs in book 4 and book 5.

>> No.20091214

>>20091183
>Characters like him are great for getting your readers worked up.
I'm just afraid of Ramsay actually beating Stannis

>They want to see him pulled down and killed like a lot of the other vicious cunts in the story were. People go on about how GRRM kills off good characters but he kills plenty of the scumbags too. Letting Arya get some vengeance on Gregor's men was a bit of catharsis for the readers, after having to see her suffer so much.
Oh yeah, GRRM killing of good characters is severely overstated when someone actually reads the books, but it still doesn't change the fact that Ramsay is even alive when Ned wouldn't tolerate such behavior is baffling. Ned still wanted to kill Jorah after several years for slavery, I doubt he would turn a blind eye to the Boltons.

>> No.20091227

>>20091121
Threads are best when they're soon about to die, when shitposters are saving their bait for a fresh thread where they can maximize their replies.

>> No.20091231

>>20091227
Why are you like this?

>> No.20091250

>>20091214
Pretty sure Ramsay beating Stannis was just a show only thing.

>> No.20091252
File: 129 KB, 564x452, 1640738959372.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>the drowned literally just go unconscious and get CPR to get 'reborn'
I fucking hate this so fucking much
They should get revived through resurrection and magic, fucking GRRM
Damphair isn't blessed by the Drowned God, he just knows how to do CPR better than everyone else
Also fuck patchface

>> No.20091259

>>20091252
>the drowned literally just go unconscious and get CPR to get 'reborn'
Isn't that the new version? I could have sworn the old version was more hardcore and fatal.

>> No.20091265

>>20091259
I thought the new version was pouring salt water on them as a baptism
The old version was drowning them, filling their lungs with salt water until they go unconscious and then pulling them ashore and doing CPR until they cough the water up

>> No.20091295

>>20091265
>I thought the new version was pouring salt water on them as a baptism
No, that's newborn infants. The first chapter with the Prophet details that.
>It is custom to give a newborn child to the Drowned God shortly following his birth. Some priests believe that this should be done in a similar manner, but more frequently the child is simply dipped into a tub of seawater to wet the infant's head

The actual drowning is hardcore and fatal, with several ironborn pussying out.

>> No.20091332

>>20091295
Iron born culture is crazy.

>> No.20091350

>>20091295
Well sure but if you've ever been in that situation before you'd know how terrifying the sensation is when you desperately need to breathe and all you have is water so ofc some would struggle, I'm not saying that it's not a horrible experience and so you need a lot of faith to let it happen to you
Also Damphair thinks that they should be drowned all the same, he complains about it IIRC

>> No.20091389

>>20091350
>Damphair thinks that they should be drowned all the same, he complains about it IIRC
Yeah, he’s a zealot and I wish Martin had use him more. Feel like he was such an underrated character

>> No.20091419

>>20091389
>Feel like he was such an underrated character
He has a lot of characters he underutilizes. It's one of the few things I hate about him.

>> No.20091431

NEW
THREAD
NOW

>> No.20091442

>>20091431
How many more times are you going to keep asking?just keep using this thread until it’s archived.

>> No.20091446

>>20091419
Still waiting to see what he has plan for the Martells, literally have done nothing throughout the war and story.

>> No.20091475

>>20089626
mediocre mother of learning? You fucking muppet I read that shit for a week straight and I'm a NEET

>> No.20091478

>>20091446
>Still waiting to see what he has plan for the Martells,
The Preview chapters of Winds of winter ends on a cliffhanger with them.

>> No.20091485

>>20091478
Yeah, and it’s almost been a decade since then.

>> No.20091490

>>20091475
I think people haven’t read mother of learning. Because some of the complains don’t make any sense at all.

>> No.20091494

>>20089148
Sadly I don't know. I got half a duolingo owl in Russian and that's as far as I went. I'm a dabbler when it comes to languages.

>> No.20091509

I will continue to complain until the new thread is made

>> No.20091518

>>20091509
Just discuss things here.

>> No.20091523

>>20091518
No

>> No.20091530

>>20091523
Then stop spamming. People are still discussing.

>> No.20091537

>>20091494
Wasn’t there an Isekai about Stalin and Hitler? Whatever happened to that?

>> No.20091546

>>20091537
I don't know but I smell dollars. I hear Ivan's a little pinched for cash these days so maybe he'll ghostwrite.

>> No.20091547
File: 1.32 MB, 3600x3000, 1637272826149.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are some books with lovecraftian themes/imagery that aren't just set in the lovecraft universe?

>> No.20091554

>>20091475
>>20091490
mother of learning is just shitty harem trash, almost every character is a female, there is a ton of female drama and female character progression while male characters are few and not developed at all. Mc is a fucking retard and a white knight. The story progresses only because of female characters.
There is also some nonsense about mc being being introverted type or some shit, this is where all online popularity comes from because these days every faggot thinks he is some introverted retard and anything with introverted, literal retard, neet lgbt character is very popular.

>> No.20091564

>>20091554
Never read it. Got it.

>> No.20091570

>>20091564
It's the Bakker shitposter, he gets upset at the mere presence of female characters with anything more than zero agency.

>> No.20091580

>>20091570
Found the white knight

>> No.20091586

>>20091564
I read probably half of it. I finally dropped it after he went though the gate into some mansion in the woods. It was just so shit I could not continue reading it

>>20091570
I don't post bakker, but I do get upset about coomer shit in sf and fantasy.

>> No.20091599

>>20091554
>Mother of Learning
>Harem trash

>> No.20091603

>>20091599
It’s obvious he never read it.

>> No.20091605

>>20091599
>retard mc with tons of females surrounding him
>not harem

>> No.20091611

>>20091546
I remember the dark lord Stalin one.

>> No.20091637

>>20091547
Southern Gods by John Hornor Jacobs

>> No.20091653

>>20091605
Anon, do you not know what an actual Harem is?

>> No.20091656

>>20091653
Coomer shit?

>> No.20091657

>>20091656
So, you don't know.

>> No.20091668

Any examples of books that start in one genre and switches to another part way through?
Kind of like From Dusk till Dawn

>> No.20091677

>>20091252
>The prophet was drowning men on Great Wyk when they came to tell him that the king was dead. It was a bleak, cold morning, and the sea was as leaden as the sky. >The first three men had offered their lives to the Drowned God fearlessly, but the fourth was weak in faith and began to struggle as his lungs cried out for air. Standing waist-deep in the surf, Aeron seized the naked boy by the shoulders and pushed his head back down as he tried to snatch a breath.
>“Have courage,” he said. “We came from the sea, and to the sea we must return. Open your mouth and drink deep of god’s blessing. Fill your lungs with water, that you may die and be reborn. It does no good to fight.”
>Either the boy could not hear him with his head beneath the waves, or else his faith had utterly deserted him. He began to kick and thrash so wildly that Aeron had to call for help. Four of his drowned men waded out to seize the wretch and hold him underwater.
>“Lord God who drowned for us,” the priest prayed, in a voice as deep as the sea, “let Emmond your servant be reborn from the sea, as you were. Bless him with salt, bless him with stone, bless him with steel.”
>Finally, it was done. No more air was bubbling from his mouth, and all the strength had gone out of his limbs. Facedown in the shallow sea floated Emmond, pale and cold and peaceful.
That's not some weak shit.

>> No.20091682

>>20091657
It is coomer shit. You can have different coom shit categories but it is still shit. There is probably an exact official definition on google written by coomers for coomers, I am not really interested in that, it is all coomer shit.

>> No.20091689

>>20091475
Most people like Mother of Learning because it is a 'unique concept'. Similar to how adult children like marvel because 'superheroes', there isn't much depth after the story tags or hooks. The characters are bland and boring without much depth and if they do get any development its the typical YA character personality. The story gets streched towards the late middle making it a slog to get to the end. Then when you get to the end instead of having all of the previous plotlines in the loop pay off they instead make a fucking truce to stop anything interesting from happening. The magic system is wishy washy and it seems like their is supposed to be some underlying rules under it but the author refuses to explain anything so he can power fantasy the main characters much easier, only allowing to tell us some non relevant facts about it. Lastly, the world is not very imaginative I mean do you even remember how the main character's room or school even look like, the world building is all tell not show, well that is if the author even decides to describe the world for more than a sentence. In the end Mother of Learning is a collection of unique ideas that makes you wow and clap but without much depth to it, it can only be credited to creating some new tropes that were and will be better used elsewhere. I mean I guess its good for webnovels but this /lit/ not /wlit/.

>> No.20091700

>>20091677
Also, here's Aeron bitching about the new ways.

>The Sparr coughed. “I was drowned as a boy,” he said, “and my son upon his name day.”
>Aeron snorted. That Steffarion Sparr had been given to the Drowned God soon after birth he had no doubt.
>He knew the manner of it too, a quick dip into a tub of seawater that scarce wet the infant’s head.
>Small wonder the ironborn had been conquered, they who once held sway everywhere the sound of waves was heard.
>“That is no true drowning,” he told the riders. “He that does not die in truth cannot hope to rise from death. Why have you come, if not to prove your faith?”
Really wish there was more Ironborn chapters on the Iron Islands.

>> No.20091706

>>20091689
>I mean I guess its good for webnovels
No, it is not, Mother of learning is shit and webnovels is not some safe space for mentally retarded, social outcast neets

>> No.20091711

>>20091677
>>20091700
And to think, this is the same man that was a wild party animal in his youth. Euron really did a number on him.

>> No.20091713

>>20091706
It really is, stop seething about it already.

>> No.20091719

>>20091706
YOU will NEVER have your fantastical online writing utopia where all freelancers post on a website with a hundred tags and 3000 word reviews minimum.

>> No.20091720

>>20091713
No.

>> No.20091729

test test poop test

>> No.20091744

>>20091711
>Euron really did a number on him.
Can wait for him to turn himself into some eldritch god being.

>> No.20091748

>409
What's the record

>> No.20091750

>>20091748
I know, with almost a 100 IP, a total reversal from several months back.

>> No.20091753

>>20091719
More like 3000 characters. That's a full 4chan post.

>> No.20091760

Looks like this will be the last /sffg/ since nobody cares enough to bake

>> No.20091764

>>20091750
It's almost like the constant spam inhibited posting.

>> No.20091768

>>20091760
Holy shit, shut up already. You already know a new thread will be made once this is bumped off.

>> No.20091771

>>20091760
Get off the porch, monkey

>> No.20091774

>>20091768
Make me pussy

>> No.20091775

>>20091764
Jannies and mods are taking care of the spam.

>> No.20091778

>>20091775
Eh, it's still a hit and miss, but it's a start.

>> No.20091785

>>20091778
But a start nonetheless.

>> No.20091788

New thread
>>20091787

>> No.20091790

New thread
>>20091784

>> No.20091795

>>20091790
Why’d you make a second thread?

>> No.20091801

>>20091790
Anon, someone already made a thread. No need to make another.

>> No.20091811

And the shitposter didn't waste any seconds in making such low-effort posts.

>> No.20091816

>>20091795
>>20091801
Yes >>20091787 is the second thread, there was no need for it.
First thread created was >>20091784

>> No.20091826

>>20091816
I’ll rather go with the Tolkien thread.

>> No.20091833

/sffg/ is gay

>> No.20091843

>>20091816
>First thread created was >>20091784
It's filled with shitpost.

>> No.20091862

>>20091843
>shitpost
>complain thread is filled with shitposting

>> No.20092042

The war rages on.

>> No.20092228

>>20091682
Its painfully obvious you didnt even read up to the first restart. He spends the entire book either away from the school doing important shit with nothing but dudes or considers any female he has to deal with for the sake of the time loop as annoyance. A single girl is said to have a crush on him and he tells her to go fuck herself. Its borderline chad literature.

>> No.20092255

>>20092228
It's obvious he didn't read it and is just making shit up. He's just the bakkerfaggot.