[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 207 KB, 1000x1000, 02160F73-ABD3-4345-B119-3FE8B7D1D806.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20068206 No.20068206[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Why does this board have so many christlarpers? It is expected of a literature board to understand the significance of the Bible to the western canon, but many people here actually buy into (or pretend to, most likely) this stuff and are more obnoxious about it than all the actual christians I've known irl.

>> No.20068367

>>20068206
4chan is contrarian and atheism isn't cool anymore so the impressionable underageb& have moved on to something that they feel validates their fringe political beliefs

>> No.20068467

>>20068206
ITT: we laugh at the materialist

>> No.20068473

>>20068467
>if you don't believe in my zombie jew, you're a materialist
this is why nobody takes you seriously

>> No.20068482

>>20068206
>Why does this board have so many christlarpers?
>why does the literature board have so many people who want to discuss the greatest work of literature ever written
Gee I dunno OP.

>> No.20068489

>>20068482
>why does the literature board have so many people who want to discuss the greatest work of literature ever written
>Gee I dunno OP.
lol even in the Bible threads barely anyone speaks about its content

>> No.20068490

>>20068482
>>why does the literature board have so many people who want to discuss the greatest work of literature ever written
There aren't that many Finnegans Wake threads though

>> No.20068501

>>20068489
that's because seething atheists/hylics/scientismists constantly derail the threads. and generally people are asking translation questions. i've seen some good discussion nonetheless.

>>20068490
Joyce is trash except for when he exposed the English banking cabal by naming the jew in Ulysses.

>> No.20068505

>>20068501
Literal larper. You check pretty much all the boxes kek

>> No.20068512

>>20068505
>haven't professed any religious belief itt
>"larper"
You make me point for me. This is not a literature related thread, this turd should be nuked from orbit.

>> No.20068522

>>20068501
The Bible threads are generally free from anti-Christians, mainly it's just consoomer talk (muh calfskin limited edition KJV) and "_____ are heretics" talk. Very little discussion of the Bible beyond citing the odd line in an argument. Shame, it's a great book.

>> No.20068523

>>20068512
I don't need to know your particular flavor of larp to know you're a larper.

>> No.20068526

>>20068523
I don't need your opinion to know this is a bait thread put up by a miseducated simpleton.

>> No.20068532

>>20068526
Seethe about it, larper

>> No.20068541

Being Christian is part of the poltard conservative aesthetic, conveniently contrarian as well.

>> No.20068593

>>20068206
Because atheism became heavily associated with le reddit and so it wasn’t cool or edgy anymore to not believe in God. In an attempt to immunise themselves from cringe a lot of people on 4chan initially pivoted to christianity because that was the more “countercultural” position to take, but also because more conservative and traditional values were taking off on here and Christianity was highly complementary to that mindset. A lot of posters adopted Christianity because it fit with their political ideology, not because they genuinely believed it (this doesn’t apply to all Christfags obviously, just the “cultural” Christians).

That said, if there are any legitimate Christians on 4chan, they’re more likely going to be on /lit/ talking about the bible than anywhere else.

>> No.20068682

>>20068206
>Why does this board have so many christlarpers? It is expected of a literature board to understand the significance of the Bible to the western canon, but many people here actually buy into (or pretend to, most likely)
Why would you pretend on an anonymous forum? Not to be rude, but how ridiculous is that even as a posture to view genuine faith?
>this stuff and are more obnoxious about it than all the actual christians I've known irl.
Yes because I'm a convert and 95% of Christians believe because it's cultural. The reason I post - and obnoxiously so - is because people on 4chan tend to be people like me, you grew up poor to middle class in a secular world and starting at the age of 14 I was filled with rage. I wanted more but was never told what more was. Reading the Bible in school is banned in the US ans I grew up secular in the Midwest. Most Christians are better about holding their tongue but I want to provide the genuine alternative to the spiritual wasteland of the secular West. I will keep posting so people know the truth and the way out - it's through the doctrine of Christ.

>> No.20068694

>>20068593
>>20068367
This is a fundamentally flawed critique because all you're doing is saying X is bad and Y is used as a response. You haven't evaluated the truth of X or Y but just criticised both sides. Genuinely read the lyrics to American Idiot by Green Day, that's your take.
>That said, if there are any legitimate Christians on 4chan, they’re more likely going to be on /lit/ talking about the bible than anywhere else.
I'm here because some person who preached for 3 years, made no writings, and served the poor saved me from myself in a way no human ever could. I just tell the truth.

>> No.20068708

>>20068682
>Why would you pretend on an anonymous forum? Not to be rude, but how ridiculous is that even as a posture to view genuine faith?
Because with anonymity you can try on any hat you want. I can make one post as an incel decrying women and with the next I can mount an impassioned defense of women. I could even do it in the same thread, if I wanted to. In a world filled with murdering rappers, pederast priests, Islamic jihad, all of them proclaiming in one way or another to hold their own personal ideas of God up for others to see in one way or another, how could you ever possibly assume that it wouldn't stretch downwards into the most banal?

>> No.20068729

>>20068708
"For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was."
Be careful because you're making a very common atheist mistake - you're criticizing people who believe things and not their beliefs.

>> No.20068738

>>20068729
>you're criticizing people who believe things and not their beliefs
No fucking shit, Sherlock. What, did you think I was condoning murder, jihad, and kiddy diddling?

>> No.20068743

>>20068738
Condemning people who believe things is ridiculous - it's obvious you're going to find flaws anywhere you look so might as well not look. That being said, I find it ironic because you've criticized believers based on a belief system you do not have.

>> No.20068746

>>20068682
>I will keep posting so people know the truth and the way out - it's through the doctrine of Christ.
This is what I find weird about christian posters. They always seem like they're trying to convince themselves first and foremost. Look man, if people are interested in christianity they'll look into it, the constant evangelizing in every single thread related to spirituality (or even not related to spirituality) is tiresome.

>> No.20068756

>>20068694
>You haven't evaluated the truth of X or Y
Not him but that's a very poor argument considering christianity hinges on belief. No matter how much tradlarpers keep repeating that "daddy aquinas pbuh proved the existence of god hylics btfo", the truth is that it's just a belief system like any other. I looked into christianity and simply disregarded it, but christians act as if you cannot possibly come to a conclusion different than theirs by investigating.

>> No.20068774

>>20068743
If you were to believe that it's okay to use a position of authority to molest young boys, I would absolutely condemn you. Whatever mishmash of beliefs which arose to create you, if I could, I would examine each and every one of them and find the precisely best way to condemn you. In their capacity as beliefs, I would condemn you for them. There is ultimately no distinction between belief and believer. It's an anthropocentric concept which requires a believer in order to exist. Does the pope shit in the woods?

My point was that priests, rappers, and jihadis all LARP their religions. Yes, they LARP in the same way as literally everyone else LARPs, but theirs is particularly egregious because their failure to act according to them is so far out of scope with what they ostensibly believe. I don't expect perfection, of course. My issue is that you tradcath LARPers all—ALL of you, to the fucking man—take on this sanctimonious, preachy tone which demands from others the same reverence with which you treat yourself and your own beliefs. If you're not perfect, and if the flaws are so omnipresent, STOP FUCKING PRETENDING christfaggotry is anything more than anyone else's belief systems.

>> No.20068779

>>20068746
See OP's thread title. I'm not in every thread.
>>20068756
>christianity hinges on belief.
So does mathenatics - I don't understand proofs but I believe it works.
>the truth is that it's just a belief system like any other.
Yes faith is applicable many places. Some are perfect, others are pathetic.
>christians act as if you cannot possibly come to a conclusion different than theirs by investigating.
TBF this is hotly debated within Christianity. If you have read the Gospels and don't see the divine nature in them I really have nothing more to hope for than that you can experience more in life to eventually see their ultimate truth.

>> No.20068781

>>20068774
Good post

>> No.20068786

>>20068779
>So does mathenatics
The level of disingenuousness here would have me baffled if it wasn't to be expected, all of you "argue" like this.
>Some are perfect, others are pathetic.
And the standard by which you evaluate whether a system belong to the former or the latter is...
>I really have nothing more to hope for than that you can experience more in life to eventually see their ultimate truth.
Fuck, >>20068774 really was right on the money.

>> No.20068787

>>20068694
>This is a fundamentally flawed critique because all you're doing is saying X is bad and Y is used as a response
It’s not even a critique lmao, there was no judgement in my post. I was simply explaining the origins of the phenomenon of christlarping on 4chan. If you feel personally judged then that might be an indication that your faith is more insincere than you would like to believe; if your faith is true then you should have no reason to feel attacked when clearly my post was about reactionary larpers, not genuine Christians.

>> No.20068789

>>20068774
>There is ultimately no distinction between belief and believer.
Really bro? There is no difference between mathematics and mathematicians?
Reread your own post and the vitriole and bile that you've found in yourself. The darkness scatters in the light.
>If you're not perfect, and if the flaws are so omnipresent, STOP FUCKING PRETENDING christfaggotry is anything more than anyone else's belief systems.
Relies on above conflation. Not pretending. It's the only perfect belief system mankind has.

>> No.20068793

>>20068789
>The darkness scatters in the light.
Jesus fucking christ do you hear yourself talk

>> No.20068799

>>20068789
Really, bro.

>> No.20068800

>>20068786
It's funny - at the core of atheism is a jealousness for what the good people have because they do not realize it is freely given. Repent.

>> No.20068805

>>20068800
You are a fucking clown

>> No.20068808

>>20068774
This post reeks of resentment and crude, sanctimonious hostility.
>but theirs is particularly egregious because their failure to act according to them is so far out of scope with what they ostensibly believe
There is nothing "out of whack" with, for example, Jihad and the Islamic faith, nor condemning a corrupted being to death. The only thing which is actually morally depraved that you mentioned is child molestation, and that has to be desperately hidden by those who engage in it to even happen at all. You just lack understanding of what that faith is, and think all religious creeds boil down to "universal sympathy", which is the shallowest and most New Age understanding of spirituality there is.

>> No.20068809

>>20068787
You good bro. Seriously though that position of suspended teological direction is dangerous be careful.

>> No.20068812

>>20068793
>>20068799
>>20068805
The reaction here is its own proof. Sorry not trying to upset people but there's no point in larping as one criticizing christians. I mean people pretend to be everything all the time. Nice larping as a reactionary though.

>> No.20068813

>>20068812
You make no sense at all.
Maybe if you keep evangelizing on an anime imageboard you'll eventually buy into it

>> No.20068823

>>20068813
Of course I don't make sense to you. Making sense is unifying one's soul to the suprarational in God which orders all things and as things make sense in understanding one turns closer to God. If you don't share in the essence of the concept of the kingdom of heaven then you don't share in understanding it.

>> No.20068838
File: 28 KB, 773x397, 2C0B6A8B-61CC-43EE-868E-FACC0A2A2939.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20068473
>zombie jew

>> No.20068841
File: 20 KB, 960x620, GGbTsER.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20068789
>Really bro?
Picrel
>>20068808
>nor condemning a corrupted being to death
And this is where the conversation always devolves, because no matter what version of a biblical God I propose from which author's addition to the work, there's nothing stopping you from couching silly shit like "murder is okay if they're 'corrupted beings'" in obtuse, circular rationale that ultimately just defaults back to, "Bro, really? You lack faith. Treat my beliefs the same way I treat them because I believe in them."
>resentment
A mischaracterization, but one I can understand. To clarify, it's with a mostly annoyed and casual disdain that I see you. What you believe ultimately doesn't affect me insofar as you tend to shit up my favorite place to discuss things with your omnipresent self-reverence. But don't worry. I'll forget you as soon as we're done talking to one another.

>> No.20068850
File: 1.48 MB, 1500x2461, 1645948291321.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20068823
That's just platonic theology. That's not the deal Yahweh made with his people. Do stick to your bible and leave philosophy to the idolators, it's what you are commanded to do.

>> No.20068860
File: 179 KB, 1025x1500, 30179214784.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20068823
>Making sense is unifying one's soul to the suprarational in God which orders all things and as things make sense in understanding one turns closer to God
Unfortunately, God—if he did try to create a fully rational and coherent universe—must have made a couple oversights.

>> No.20068869

>>20068206
>be me
>be 13-14
>think religion is gay and dumb, richard dawkins is my hero christcucks are sheep wake up idiots
>be 20
>still an atheist but explore philosophy of different religions start reading theologians and religious texts, visit europe go to churches appreciate the art
>be 28
>realize the ritual and community of church has benefits beyond just belief. no longer a dick. become a unitarian
I considered being a catholic at one point but felt like that was more of a commitment

>> No.20068883

>>20068860
>>20068850
Thank you for the posts! Glad to actually be discussing the subject - my post was just Aquinas's reading on knowledge and truth.

>> No.20068888

>>20068869
I feel like this is a very very common path and a reasonably healthy one

>> No.20068889

>>20068841
>in obtuse, circular rationale
It's not circular at all, it's dogma. And dogma is not a bad word, it's only been made a bad word by people like yourself who hold onto the antiquated and naive beliefs, that order and a higher unity can be found in the crude instrument of human reason, one which will always revert back to the threefold dilemma of circularity, dogma or infinity. In all of these, dogma is the most clear and the most honest once one accepts that you will never pull "the truth" out of a few thoughts and experiences in a single lifetime mashed together into a slap-dash intellectual system (in other words, the history of "moral philosophy" ever since ethics became a "problem").
>A mischaracterization, but one I can understand.
Not at all. Vitriolic fumes are being spread throughout this thread by your emotive posting style. I am not even Christian, my only contrarian instincts are against the kind of person who asserts that they, and they alone, are the measure of all things. I would easily get along with atheists like Nietzsche, because their vitriol is not founded in resentment, it never asserts itself as The Truth (or what passes as the same nowadays, "The Truth" which is that there is no truth. Genuine skepticism finds even this assertion problematic).

>> No.20068891 [DELETED] 
File: 228 KB, 915x1024, 1647306833718.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20068904

>>20068206
There was a temporary resurgence in e-Christianity thanks to the 2016 election but most of those people just converted for political reasons, it's dying out now.

>> No.20068932

>>20068889
>>20068593
Assuming you're the same person. Be careful with that mind friend - you are smart enough to outrun theology for 60 years but possibly not a lifetime.

>> No.20068959

>>20068889
Nigger, you know LITERALLY NOTHING about my beliefs. You were almost right when you assumed (based, I'm sure, on patterns you think you've seen in what I've written) that I'm pretty deeply skeptical of circular belief systems, or dogmatic belief systems if that's the nomenclature you find most inoffensive to work with. I personally don't have any use for capital-T, cosmic Truth. If it exists, it's so far abstracted away from human beings (or probably the inverse) that it's a functionally useless concept. Part of why I resent these organized, theistic religions is because they assume that Truth, if extant, is not only something that categorically exists, but exists as a derivative of their God, and additionally exists in a capacity that can be conceptualized by a human being.

Reality is characterized by paradoxes. Material is characterized at its smallest level by contradiction and probability. If there is a Truth, it's that there is no Truth readily accessible to human beings. My problem is that theistic interpretations of reality—the material reality without which metaphysical reality has no significance—dogmatically apply axioms which are readily falsified.

Heisenberg and Gödel proved, with a rigor withstanding a hundred years' scrutiny, that material reality is not ordered and comprehensible. It is a fundamentally incomprehensible system to the exacting standards of philosophical Truth. What lurks beneath everything is a swirling disorder which cannot be mathematically resolved.

So, in short: no, I don't believe any particular "instrument of human reason" is sufficient. We agree on that. There is the very real potential that a hundred years ago we stretched reason to its absolute breaking point with respect to ontological Truth.

If dogma is honesty, it's an idiot's incognizant, blind honesty which discards all nuance and shirks away from the paradoxical complexities which are part and parcel to the material world in favor of dull, cow-eyed curd chewing. A cow's not dishonest, true. It's just really, really fucking dumb.

>> No.20068994
File: 50 KB, 358x512, Taoist_Triad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20068869
>Explored philosophies of different religions
>Hinduism: Trimurti
>Taoism: Three Pure Ones
>Neoplatonism: the One, the Nous, and the World Soul
>Becomes a unitarian
Your story is relatable, but why reject the Trinity? You could've chosen Lutheranism or Anglicanism if you didn't care for the Catholic Church.

>> No.20069022

>>20068932
Oooh here comes the fear mongering

>> No.20069030
File: 442 KB, 1500x1946, 1590511107620.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20068932
For some, many such lifetimes!