[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 196x258, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20060813 No.20060813 [Reply] [Original]

>I too have been into the underworld, like Odysseus, and will often be there again; and I have not only sacrificed just rams to be able to talk with the dead, but my own blood as well. There have been four pairs who did not refuse themselves to me: Epicurus and Montaigne, Goethe and Spinoza, Plato and Rousseau, Pascal and Schopenhauer. With these I had come to terms when I have wandered long alone, and from them will I accept judgment. May the living forgive me if they sometimes appear to me as shades, so pale and ill-humored, so restless and, alas!, so lusting for life. Eternal liveliness is what counts beyond eternal life.
I found this section (number 408) of Human, All Too Human very interesting. In it, Nietzsche lists the philosophers that had the biggest influence on him in pairs. It's obvious how Pascal and Schopenhauer influenced his Dionysian pessimism with their pessimism, how Plato and Rousseau influenced his materialism and elitism with their claims of a realm of forms and of the equality of men respectively, and how Goethe and Spinoza influenced his ideas of free spirits and transvaluation of values with how they formed their own worldviews and values. However, I've never been able to understand how he was influenced by Epicurus and Montaigne. Also, there seems to be some very important influences missing, such as Heraclitus, Zarathustra, etc.

>> No.20060827

I mistakenly attributed this quote to section 408 of Human, All Too Human. It's section 408 from Mixed Opinions and Maxims.

>> No.20060893

>>20060813
Haven't read Nietzsche yet, but here's a bump fren.

>> No.20060946

>>20060893
Thank you fren

>> No.20061100

>>20060813
how many languages could Nietzsche read

>> No.20061103

books are stupid

>> No.20061113
File: 46 KB, 700x641, le froggy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How many books should a real nietzschesister read of him? I've already read 8.

>> No.20061122

>>20061113
I have The Portable Nietzsche and The Basic Writings. Both were edited and translated by Kaufmann and were made to compliment each other. Each contain four different works by Nietzsche in full, as well as selections from his other works, his letters, and his notes.