[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 587x503, p38134.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2003658 No.2003658 [Reply] [Original]

Please don't insult me for being an ignorant plebeian.

I don't read, though I've always had an interest in philosophy.

Is there an introductory outline for philosophical works?

I Google'd and all I can find is university and college courses, would this be an acceptable way to dive into the subjects?

Or is there some sort of guide that summarizes most philosophies? I don't want to begin reading pre-Socratic works, if my interest lies in, let's say, Confucianism (it doesn't, just an example).

Thanks, bros.

>> No.2003681

Just think until you can't think and then come to a conclusion. A lot of people think existensialism is a good place to begin but man did that do some nasty things to me. I suppose philosophy is all around you, there isn't really any place to start except from starting in itself. However, if you have a genuine interest in it then I suppose it's only inevitable that you will find out where to go for yourself.

>> No.2003701

I'm afraid that I only know a couple in dutch that are used in college

though you have to make an important differentiation between eastern and western philosophy

>> No.2003886
File: 88 KB, 300x400, 9780140442274.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Look, this is like asking for an introduction to science. Too big a field. I recommend you browse a philosophy section and buy an original work that seems interesting and approachable, then progress from that. Pic related: give it a try.

>> No.2003889

I would say that you should start reading with whatever you're actually interested in. Pick up a primary work, or a rough guide if that seems to complicated.

>> No.2003894

I read the Idiot's Guide to Philosophy after existentialism confused the shit out of me. I can't say it was hugely helpful but it's a good overview of the basics. But don't read it, it's the same stuff you would find if you were to google 'Basics of philosophy' or something akin to that.

>> No.2003896

Sophie's World.

http://www.amazon.com/Sophies-World-History-Philosophy-Classics/dp/0374530718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp
;qid=1313098068&sr=8-1

Not trolling. It does a great job of outlining the basics so you know how different schools all relate to one another, so it makes a good starting point (though primary texts are a must).

>> No.2003909

Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy is a good one

>> No.2004257

Plato's 'The Symposium' was were I started. You might find it a fresh approach to the subject of love.
The picture of dorian gray by Oscar wilde is also philosophical in some aspects