[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 62 KB, 312x475, 28407.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2003219 No.2003219 [Reply] [Original]

MORE LIKE THIS, OTHER THAN MORE ZOLA

>> No.2003229

Someone I know called their daughter Emily-Zola.

Never actually read the author, sorry.

>> No.2003251

>>2003229
jesus christ you really are retarded. good contribution faggot.

it depends on what you're looking for more of. coal mining? D.H. Lawrence's Sons and Lovers has a bit but isn't by any means set in a coal mine. coal mining, despite its obvious romanticism, isn't too popular a subject.

>> No.2003257

>>2003251
D.H. Lawrence worth getting into? I have a copy of lady chaterlys lover, and im debating to read that or look homeward angel.

>> No.2003259 [DELETED] 
File: 3 KB, 208x208, ZOMGATS1!.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2003251
>coal mining romanticism

>mfw I'm from west virginia and considered that "career" path once
>coal mining is one of the most dangerous, ill-respected professions on this planet that drags you to hell before your time to go

there aren't many (accurate) books on coal mining because most coal miners are pretty much slaves to the industry, with no real object except to earn money come hell or high wind, or lung cancer

nothing illustrates this point better than the book Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam Jr., who was interested in rocket science at a time when everybody in his town assumed they would be doomed to coal mining and looked down on faggoty bookworm types who actually wanted to leave and do something with their lives

>> No.2003266

>>2003259
failed the sarcasm check

>> No.2003269

>>2003257
Yes. I would certainly recommend DH Lawrence. Personally, I don't really like his poetry and find the vast majority of his fiction after "The Rainbow" to have too much of an agenda to be enjoyable. His travel books and essays are what really stand out for me. But don't take my word for it.

>> No.2003272

>>2003257
I read sons and lovers and the romance element of it is so offputting.

>> No.2003278
File: 64 KB, 869x438, watson's goatee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2003266
wat

I recently got my wisdom teeth cut out so I'm high on percocet and tequila, and I don't understand your post

but honestly, I grew up in west virginia and I know how cruel coal mining can be, it's basically like the 3rd world sweat shop horrors you hear about except here in the US. especially back in the 50s with they didn't even pay you money, but in scrip to use in local shops owned by corporations, who owned all the real estate in the town and pretty much owned a miner's entire family

buildings in mining towns actually turned black because of the coal dust and you had to scrub your house once a month, that's how bad it was. I considered getting my certs and working in the mines back in 2007, but I joined the army instead

I have no delusions, I know I am an uneducated young male with few prospects, but I have studied literature and completed much of the course work for a MFA and am confident in my fiction

I plan to submit my novel by 2012 and would like to be a full time writer, I am not trolling

/life story

>> No.2003299

>>2003272
how so? i was put off by the constant pendulum swings from love to hate. while i appreciated in concept the stranglehold mrs. morel kept on paul's ability to love, the playing out of it felt largely contrived, almost as though lawrence wanted to hit a checklist of abstract concepts put to narrative form. i wrote it off as the author being too close to his subject matter.

>> No.2003310

>>2003278
i meant 'despite its obvious romanticism' as sarcasm, mainly in reference to germinal being one bleak vision of unending hell from page 1 onward. internet has yet to find sarcasm markers.

>> No.2003320

>>2003299
It dealt too much with the love triangle for me to find it that enjoyable, I liked the characters and the relationships, but I think he just wrote too much about it. Part one, the bits with his mother and the bits with baxter are all awesome though, I think he should have made less of everything with miriam and clara, the miriam episode was especially too long winded.

>> No.2003325

when i did germinal for my euro novel module my prof, who was actually writing a monograph at the time about 'mining novels' and oil in fiction, mentioned how germinal was one of the first 'mining novels' and that it's still influential in places like brazil and other south american countires where supposedly there are lots of mining novels

>> No.2004019

One of the best books dealing with the evils of pure capitalism that I have read.
I also appreciated the prose in both French and English.
j'accuse!

>> No.2004075

>>2004019
EXACTLY, PRETTY GOOD EXAMPLE OF WHY WE CAN'T JUST LEAVE CAPITALISM TO RUN ITS OWN ACCORD WITHOUT GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION

I JUST LOVE ZOLA'S PROSE, HIS SCENES ARE PRETTY GRITTY AND YET HIS CHARACTERS COME OFF AS SO NATURAL AND BELIEVABLE, EVEN WHEN MANY SPEND SO MUCH OF THEIR TIME BEATING THEIR WIVES AND FUCKING.

MY NEXT ZOLA WILL BE THE BEAST WITHIN, HOPE I WAS RIGHT IN THAT CHOICE.

>> No.2004172

SHAMELESS BUMP

>> No.2004249

>>2004075

If THE BEAST WITHIN is la bete humaine in French, then your choice is very justified - I think it's Zola's best book ever, but I may well be a minority. The ending was pretty awesome, to say the least.

To OP, I recommend Andre Gide, particularly The Counterfeiters and The Vatican Cellars.

More of a symbolist than those two, but still in a similar vein, I'd also recommend Villiers de l'Isle-Adam. He's an under-regarded writer, in my opinoin, particularly in the Anglophone world - it's possible he's been ill-served in translation.