[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 66 KB, 510x680, a-series.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2001753 No.2001753 [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think about A Series of Unfortunate Events? I just read numbers 9 and 11, only because the naming was messed up on my ereader and it called them things like "Front Cover" by "Author". I just started reading them to see what they were and kept going.

I was really pleasantly surprised though. I wasn't expecting all of those literary references like the main protagonists are called the Baudelaire twins and the villain's girlfriend is called Esme Squalor and they had to sail past a place called the Gulag Archipelago.

Apparently there are a stack of references in the rest of the series:

http://www.quidditch.com/lemony%20snicket.htm

I thought it was witty and it reminded me of The Phantom Tollbooth a bit. I just wondered what /lit/ thought because I don't recall seeing the series mentioned here.

>> No.2001778

The most passionate and tasteful readers read this series while everyone else was being gay for harry potter.

>> No.2001784
File: 217 KB, 500x301, tumblr_lnse61AcjY1qhak86.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My childhood <3

>> No.2001786

>>2001778
B-but I liked both!
My friends and I loved these books, and even came up with strange alternate titles for them, and for the first one, it was "The Bad Buttcheek."
Oh, my friends are so immature but we had a great time.

>> No.2001794

Daniel Handler wrote a decent novel for adults----well, it's set in a high school----but it's not bad. It's like Clueless meets Fight Club. It's called "The Basic Eight"

>> No.2001796

>>2001794
I'll check that out. Thanks.

>> No.2001810

This is a really clever and well-written series. I was just a little too old to get into it as a kid but I read a couple of em while babysitting my baby cousin last year and they are very obvious future (instant, I guess) classics.

>> No.2002510

I love these books. They're really fun. I also learned a lot of words from them, which is a good thing because in my senior year in high school I was given vocabulary words such as "prideful".

>> No.2002528

I loved reading these in elementary school. I still need to read 11, 12, and 13, though.