[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 96 KB, 568x548, 1621861104940.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19996316 No.19996316 [Reply] [Original]

Why is it so much easier to talk about philosophy than to discuss literature?

>> No.19996354

philosophy is a formalized version of playing pretend. no life experience necessary.

>> No.19996497

>"Did you like this book?" "Yeah, remember part x?" "Yeah...""And that one quote is really cool.""Yeah, I felt that.""yeah..."

>> No.19997057

>>19996316
Maybe you're note personally charged bout it

>> No.19997082

>>19996316
Cause people on /lit/ do not read. They sit at their pc's copying and pasting from wikipedia. Its actually really pathetic.

>> No.19997098

>>19996354
This is about right. Everyone has an opinion--most people go even further thinking their opinion is 'good'--about the things philosophy addresses, everything from truth to politics. You'll rarely find good debate on very technical aspects of philosophy that require reading and education. And that's why it's hard to talk about literature: you have to have read a book to discuss its literary merits and those can't even be gleaned by summaries on Wikipedia for the most part. Also, philosophical threads are broad while threads on specific works of literature are narrow: even people who read won't always read the same exact works (usually why recommendation threads do well, as it requires people to have both a general and particular knowledge of books without having to necessarily know the same specific book.)

>> No.19997126

>>19996316
I haven't read much in general, and even less fiction. My takes are generally going to be about structure or politics and these are boring and hot button respectivley. The author's whose fiction works I've enjoyed recently are women, and I don't intend to subject myself to a deluge of unkind jabs directed at their sex simply because the only time anons dick was engulfed in pussy was the brief moment it passed through his mother's as he popped into the world. Having peers to discuss my feelings about the tragic Nietzschian themes I found obvious in the Left Hand of Darkness, despite neither the new introduction nor afterword of the 50th anniversary edition making any note of them, simply doesn't seem worth that price. My apologies.
nb4 I pay the price anyway