[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 72 KB, 510x649, gent.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1998552 No.1998552 [Reply] [Original]

hey /lit/
I rarely read fantasy or sci-fi, but I want to read something of either of those genres for light reading. The problem is, most of the stuff in those genres are too corny or pulpy for my taste. What are some recs for someone with a low tolerance for that?

pic somewhat related, he is one fantasy author that I have really enjoyed in the past.

>> No.1998565

The lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is a good fairly light read for fantasy, a bit heavier but definately worth it is the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. I love fantasy but Im not into stuff that strays too far from reality.

>> No.1998764

Discworld by Terry Pratchett. Quite light and funny, I think that few books go past 300 pages.

>> No.1998778

>>1998552
Heinlein is the best sci-fi author I ever read. He might as well be the only good one, in fact. Everyone else aren't even writers. Read Double Star, Friday, Have Space Suit. (Yeah, I'm the Heinlein guy from the recent threads.)

There's always Stanislaw Lem, too. He wasn't a very good writer, but at least his prose (if not composition) was always spot on. And he sure as fuck was a clever, clever guy and monstrously funny. Read "Observation on the Spot". I hope the English translation is good (Lem's a polish jew, wrote in polish).

As for fantasy, I haven't read anything actually good yet. Chine Mieville maybe. Unlundun is more magical realism than fantasy, and it starts off a bit slow, but it actually is a decent book.

Really, what is some actually good, professionally written fantasy? There must be some. I wish someone directed me to some good, literary fantasy. Zelazni comes to mind, but even he's mostly pulp, and even his best stuff (Lord of Light, Creature of Light and Darkness) is still all over the place. Well, Pratchett, although by no means great, occasionally wrote good stuff (Night Watch, Going Postal).

>> No.1998783

Arthur C. Clarke, yo. Read Childhood's End or Fountains of Paradise. I'm assuming you're already read 2001.

>> No.1998813

maybe jump in some of heinleins juvenile stuff, its light. rocketship galileo...ermm.. damn my brain isnt working this early. he has a ton of short stories out. some are really good, all of them are light reading...
if you can stand a real novel, pick up stranger in a strange land or the cat who walks thru walls

>> No.1998897

>>1998783
Clarke couldn't put two words together. He had great imagination, but couldn't write at all. Some fanfiction has better characters and dialogue than his stuff.

>> No.1998934
File: 39 KB, 480x480, dune-cat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1998778
You forgot Asimov and Frank Herbert.

Dune and The Foundation are amazing series, anyone who likes sci-fi should not miss out on them.

>> No.1998958

>>1998934
Agreed, definitely.

>>1998552
The Gods Themselves by Asimov may be a good start for what you're looking for.

>> No.1998987
File: 291 KB, 1575x1057, Dystopiautopia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I feel the exact same way as you OP. Go with some utopian/dystopian lit. Brave new World and 1984 are good places to start. Heres an unfinished essential.

>> No.1999007

>>1998987
I actually most of that list. I'd like to see a finished version one day.

Also:
>Will Self: Book of Dave
Fuck yeah!

>> No.1999111
File: 18 KB, 366x380, 33xueiw..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1998778
>Heinlein is the best sci-fi author I ever read. He might as well be the only good one, in fact.
Heinlein's prose is above average for sci-fi I guess but it's still amateurish as shit. Honestly, I've stopped reading more Heinlein novels before page 50 than read complete novels by many authors that I enjoy. Go read some Gene Wolfe, son.