[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 370x500, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19981646 No.19981646 [Reply] [Original]

The Penguin Classics paperbacks suck ass
>Disgusting gray pages
>Pages wrinkle after just one read
>Cover easily creases and bends
>Introductions are nine times out of ten shit
>Not even cheap
The Barnes & Noble Classics blows Penguin out of the water but nobody buys them because their covers aren't as good. Dover and Wordsworth are better because at least they're inexpensive.

>> No.19981652

>The Barnes & Noble
An American without taste is UNSURPRISING.

>> No.19981665

>>19981646
I refuse to buy from penguin classics. After i found out about they did a seminar with disrupt texts. Which is basically an american group. Dedicated to getting rid of the classics in schools. They were the ones a few years back they were extremely proud to get the odyssey banned from a school district. Honestly speaking on that i just buy all my books second hand UNLESS i really really want something. Im not giving money to some asshole who prints public domain books for cash.

>> No.19981673

>>19981646
Oxford are cheap and they're not just stuck with whatever translation is in the public domain like most of the other budget imprint mentioned (besides penguin). Paperbacks by their nature are designed to be portable, inexpensive and as a consequence disposable. No need to be shook about a product's purpose.

>> No.19981727

>>19981665
grim, you hate to see it. It's one thing to push to get rid of The Odyssey, it's another to push to get rid of The Odyssey and replace it with "anti-racist" shit

>> No.19981750

>>19981646
For me, my penguin have held up better after multiple reads than my wordsworths. Wordsworth has a problem with the spine warping after 1 read. I have a penguin Quixote that still looks decent after 3 full reads.

I've never owned a Barnes and noble because of the cover aestheticsy2pyh

>> No.19981768

>>19981727
Dude the groups aims are literally to replace white authors in schools. They do not care at all. They even said classics written by white authors were inherently racist and penguin classics did a seminar with them around like december 2021. Lmao its like these people hate what you sell and if they could , theyd put you out of business. Another frequent thing they state at disrupt texts is white comfort is an enemy of black people and poc.

>black children and poc cannot identify with white stories or authors. We believe all school texts should be replaced with anti racist teachings

And penguin classics stands with that message?? Fuck off

>> No.19981771

>>19981646
>Disgusting gray pages
You're colour blind
>Pages wrinkle after just one read
No they don't
>Cover easily creases and bends
No they don't
>Introductions are nine times out of ten shit
They're mostly fine
>Not even cheap
Get a better job.

>> No.19981777

>>19981768
I wonder sometimes if these companies even know what they're supporting when they fund programs like this. I imagine it just takes one middle-aged, liberal spinster in the company to get them to join in. The higher-ups either don't know what's going on or don't care because it helps their ESG.

>> No.19981797

>>19981777
Checked and you might be right cause the "seminar" really was just some bs like a youtube live nonsense that had like 100 people watching tops. But i still found about it and was seething. Still seething a little bit tbqh

>> No.19981817

Fucking midwit. Penguin classics are the best around. Even the ones from the 80s-90s with the cream coloured border are kino and the only trade paperbacks you find at a secondhand store that aren’t falling apart.

Also, penguins’ end notes alone would be worth the extra $2-3 you’d pay for gargbage meme design H&M prints

>> No.19981869

I tend to favor Oxfords these days but I've never had a problem with Penguins. All of mine have remained in pretty good condition with the exception of the spine on my copy of Brothers Karamazov which is beat to shit. I typically only buy them secondhand where I typically find them for less than 8 dollars, anyway.

>> No.19982889
File: 208 KB, 780x1193, bas penguin classic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19981646

>> No.19982898

>>19981646
I only like Penguin because I can mangle the spine and show evidence of having read the book for shelf threads.

>> No.19982946

>>19981646
I bought a copy recently of Dickens' David Copperfield published by Penguin and I came across a handful typos, and I hadn't even reached the 100th page before dropping the book and throwing it away. Fuck Penguin.