[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 331 KB, 1200x1829, dracula.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19977320 No.19977320 [Reply] [Original]

>> No.19977330

>>19977320
I remember having the kids version of this as a kid. Have never read the actual real normal version of dracula. I will have to note it down

>> No.19977339

Frankenstein is good too; I need to reread it.

>> No.19977345

>>19977320
horror and reading are anathema to each other

>> No.19977360

>>19977345
Okay zoomie.

>> No.19977370

>>19977330
I highly recommend Dracula. I put off reading it for ages too, but it's genuinely one of my favorites. Frankenstein too.

A lot of the greats mostly stuck to short stories though. Blackwood, Bierce, Lovecraft, etc. Anyone know of full-length works similar to what those guys wrote?

>> No.19977375

>>19977320
I've started reading it every October. It's fantastic.

>> No.19977382

>>19977360
NOOO!
Listen, fear is a reaction, a reflex. To process fear is to dilute it. And you cannot read something without processing it.

>> No.19977418

>>19977370
Its not really that i put it off per se. Its i never really tried to read the adult version but now that my memory comes back. I remember having a shit load of "kids versions" of classic books.

But i will have to read dracula. Its always good to read the classics.

>> No.19977420

>>19977320
All epistolary novels suck

>> No.19977559

stoker's prose is horrible and tedious. I don't get how anyone can read a page and not get either bored or annoyed.

>> No.19978309

>>19977559
>>19977420
filtered

sneed

>> No.19978689

>>19977320
Amazing book, one of the all time greatest. Put it off for so long because I felt so familiar with the material from movies/pop culture/whatever, but nothing really compares to the original novel.

The Woman in White is another favorite. Also Jane Eyre, while not necessarily horror outright, does have some really great and genuinely spooky segments. The Third Policeman is another great novel that isn't necessarily horror but does have some great horror tropes mixed in with werido comedy.

I'm sure there's gotta be some good more contemporary horror out there too, but nothing really comes to mind

>> No.19979243

>>19978689
thanks for the recommendations, ill check those out

>> No.19979326

I found House of Leaves was really good. It's a piece of ergodic literature so if you're like me reading on a tablet, be sure to turn on rotation lock.
Even if you ignore the footnotes (which you definitely shouldn't), the main plot itself wasn't scary in a gory way or in a jumpscare way but was unconventional and disturbing which I really like; and the footnotes just added to that.

Another anon recommended it in a previous thread, so thank you.

>> No.19979344

>>19978309
Even Mary Shelley's Frankenstein has better prose than Goy Stoker.

>> No.19979664

>>19977330
>I remember having the kids version of this as a kid. Have never read the actual real normal version of dracula. I will have to note it down
The original ‘Dracula’ is highly readable, especially for a 120 year old book.
It’s one of those classics that is just fun.
The writing quality is probably similar to R. L. Stevenson, or Chandler, or Hammett, etc.
The other Bram Stoker stuff I’ve read is equally well written.

>> No.19979666

>>19977339
>Frankenstein is good too; I need to reread it.
Frankenstein is an argument for why women are too feeble minded to write “science” fiction.

>> No.19979676

Any opinions on Shirley Jackson?
I’ve been considering the Library of America collections, but am uncertain.

>> No.19979792

>>19977382
The way I see it, writing's uniqueness as an art is that it requires readers to process their readings.
To use an overused quote from good ol' Lovecraft: "the most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of its contents."
The author works like a spider, weaves a web that entangles the reader without their knowing, and once it is full, they know they are trapped.
Put simply written horror is hardly horror - rather the setup to a punchline; good horror doesn't include dread or horror, the reader feels it.
The reader processes the goings-on and makes dread and horror for themselves even when it isn't there.
They make the correlation.

>> No.19979802

>>19979664
Dracula is really great but it loses so much steam near the end it's unbelievable. I don't know what Stoker was going for but I've read that he wrote the whole thing on train trips.

>> No.19979895

Great for the first part with Jonathan in the castle, then it's just a few hundred boring pages of women gossiping to each other and everyone giving the bitten woman blood transfusions.

>> No.19980138

>>19979676
i just read the haunting of hill house (after someone posted the opening in a thread) and it is probably the best horror i've ever read. i read a lot of horror from around the turn of the century (mainly short stories), and while it is definitely in this tradition, its extremely elevated in terms of prose and content.
my mom just gave me a book of her short stories. i read the lottery in high school but didn't think much of it. excited to delve in

>> No.19980562

>>19977320
It is impossible for me to feel anything remotely close to horror when I read a book that falls into this genre more or less. Dread, fear, anxiety, agony, despair or whatever else can fit it more or less - none of them, I am not able to be scared via reading, it is impossible and I truly belief most of who says they do, are just lying to get in with the crowd. I have read so far on the top of my head Dracula, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, the Invisible Man, Pet Sematary, Misery, Salem's Lot, Carrie, Everville, Lovecraft (all his horror stories, got that truly complete edition of his fiction). Have also read distopian novels, randoms like Blood Meridian and even meme books like the novelizations of Resident Evil. When I was a kid, some bideo gamez scared me and some movies. Today anything that scares me is when I have some health related issues and I always think of the worst or when I am in some shit fest of a situation - chased with knives, on a lonely street alone and some rabid 10 pack dogs lunge at me etc etc. However, never in my life was I scared via books - do you guys have other titles I could give a shot and you think it will work? I enjoyed all mentioned above a great deal, many I have read multiple times, but never got scared.

>> No.19980590

Horror Show.

>> No.19981047

>>19980562
the only horror that unnerves me is always entirely in the word choice, and generally evokes dreamlike feelings or insanity. prime example would be the yellow wallpaper; the use of the word "creeping" created a really strong, strange image in my mind, and more than that put me into the perspective of a deranged mind that can only use that word to describe the action she sees (and does), as well as how she describes the wallpaper itself. dracula isn't very scary, but the part where he describes seeing dracula scale the wall outside his window also unnerved me. straightforward horror is not scary

>> No.19981884
File: 18 KB, 252x393, Terror_simmons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]