[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 265 KB, 606x375, 1635621744278.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19975925 No.19975925 [Reply] [Original]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOc6iZtukrs

>'Wotan’s relationship with Siegfried is something wonderful, like no other poetry in the world: love and enforced enmity and the desire for destruction. This is highly symbolic for the understanding of Wagner’s character: love for that which redeems, judges, and destroys; but splendidly perceived!'

>The confrontation between Zarathustra (as ‘Untergehender’) and his progeny, the ‘Übermensch’, appears as a free paraphrase of the confrontation between Wotan and his progeny, ‘the man of the future’, in Siegfried, Act III, where Wotan (in Wagner’s own words) rises to the tragic height of willing his own fall. Nietzsche’s attempt to improve on the scene he described as comparable to no other poetry in the world will be evident to the student in the long excursus of ‘Zarathustra’s Vorrede’, beginning

>'What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not a goal. What can be loved in man is that he is a going-across and a going-down.'

>By availing himself of material culled from the dramatic climax of the trilogy, he prepares to deliver his own answer to the question propounded in both works.

>> No.19975928

Nietzsche while writing Zarathustra:
>With this book I have stepped into a new Ring
>Finally, if I am not completely mistaken about my future, it is through me that the best part of the Wagnerian enterprise will live on—and that’s what is almost droll about the affair.
>I am better now and I even believe that Wagner's death was the most substantial relief that could have been given me just now. It was hard for six years to have to be the opponent of the man one had most reverenced on earth, and my constitution is not sufficiently coarse for such a position. After all it was Wagner grown senile whom I was forced to resist; as to the genuine Wagner, I shall yet attempt to become in a great measure his heir (as I have often assured Fräulein Malvida, though she would not believe it).
>It's already beginning, what I prophesied for a long time, that in many pieces I will be R.W.'s heir.—

>> No.19977483

bump.

>> No.19977861

>>19975925
based post!
will how to reexamine Wagner now through this lens