[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 46 KB, 700x641, le froggy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19962138 No.19962138 [Reply] [Original]

I started reading this year. I've been reading Nietzsche late. Ever since I started reading this faggot I've been feeling down and questioning my religions beliefs. Is philosophy supposed to have a negative effect on you or are am I just weak minded? I feel like a silly rebelious teenager. Did this ever happen to you when you started reading philosophy, /lit/?

>> No.19962161

>>19962138
melville has a nice quote about this in moby dick

>What all men's minds and opinions but Loose-Fish? What is the principle of religious belief in them but a Loose-Fish? What to the ostentatious smuggling verbalists are the thoughts of thinkers but Loose-Fish? What is the great globe itself but a Loose-Fish? And what are you, reader, but a Loose-Fish and a Fast-Fish, too?

>> No.19962163

Yes. Read more and suspend judgment until you have taken in both sides of thought, thought about it yourself, and acted upon both of these values in your life. Thats how I figure out what works for me as a philosophical framework

>> No.19962165

>started reading this year

honestly Nietzsche is most liksly too hard for you. you should read something like The Very Hungry Caterpillar or Rainbow Fish.

>> No.19962189
File: 198 KB, 1063x750, 1607910037934.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19962138
Why would you start with Nietzsche? He's a very recent philosopher (i.e., he hasn't stood the test of time) and not important at all in the bigger scheme. Start with Plato ffs. Whereas Nietzsche makes you depressed, Plato will fill your entire body with light

>> No.19962191

>>19962138
Honestly, reading too much philosophy might completely destroy your ability to believe in your religion. Reading *only* Nietzsche is probably a bad idea. It is certainly possible for gigachad brains and incredibly committed autists to read philosophy without allowing it to influence their own beliefs whatsoever, but that isn't normal. Most people wind up more confused and perplexed than when they began, and have no way of getting back to where they started. If you really enjoy the Nietzsche, try and balance it out by reading something that reaffirms your faith next