[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 445x335, clerks-movie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1995123 No.1995123 [Reply] [Original]

hey /lit/ fags
long time lurker here, wondering if any of you use libraries often? are they still relevant?

>> No.1995128

I would go to the library if I didn't have to ride the bus through my shit neighborhood to get there.

>> No.1995142 [DELETED] 
File: 45 KB, 350x473, 1312229840832.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As someone who works at a library, I can safely say that people still use them. Only for free internet and shitty James Patterson novels, though.
>mfw

>> No.1995168
File: 21 KB, 400x311, sad cat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Since Borders is shuttering, I may spend more time around mine. My local ones are so dumbed down and have such a puny selection

>> No.1995177

I use my university's library. It really doesn't get used to its maximal level, except during finals and midterms. But I don't care since it's more for me. (San Diego State ftw!)

But my community library still seems pretty crowded most of the time. Lots of parents taking their young children to get books. Also, lots of people (like me) browsing the donated book and magazine section for a deal. It's still relevant, I'd say.

>> No.1995277

>>1995168
B-b-but they have such an endless and wondrous supply of fantasy and sci-fi novels stretching all the way back to the 70s! And those are the pinnacle of fiction genres! Surely reading stuff at the library with the close of a store that has been dear and loved by me and many others won't have such ramifications as us fleeing to brick buildings filled with ancient scriptures won't be a bad thing?
Right?

Seriously though, I will probably find myself at my school library this semester more than all the time of the past two years combined.

>>1995142
And when people say James Patterson is shitty, how shitty are we talking here?

>> No.1995318
File: 164 KB, 800x600, 1264707452992.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1995277
I wish all city libraries were as big as some of the university ones I've seen, and had big comfy spots to read... and they could sell coffee nearby too couldn't them? If not in the book stacks than across the courtyard!
*Drifting thoughts of architecture*

>> No.1995331

I hope they aren't going out considering I'm paying an assload to study to become a librarian.

>> No.1995338

Libraries are seriously the best things in the world.

>> No.1995339
File: 465 KB, 2100x1405, geisel-hr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i love libraries, both community and my old university library (geisel)

>> No.1995356

>>1995318
Is dat some univ. of okla.?

>> No.1995430

I use my university one all the time. Some days I'll head up there around 9am and stay till 1pm or so, when it begins to get moderately crowded, and get a ton of reading done. Its quiet, comfortable, and I like to just browse around the shelves, picking up anything that looks interesting and going to sit down with it.

The selection at mine isn't the greatest in the areas I'm interested in, but that's helped me to branch out a bit. I use their inter-library loan services constantly when I can, and that's been extremely, extremely helpful for me. Its a good way to read all the $100+ out of print books I've been meaning to read, plus anything else I may want.

>> No.1995436

library is the place to be.
ya, theres the internet now, but i really enjoy the library.
best place to do research is definitely the library, not wikipedia.
free books, just gotta bring em back. my library even does ebook loaning now.
i goto the library probably every week, sometimes more

>> No.1995479

As a poor humanities student I can assure that libraries are the best thing to happen to poor humanities students. I go at least twice weekly, and most of the take classes with go even more frequently.

>> No.1995490

despite how many people i know have kindles and get free books on them i cant read a stoory off a screen and get really into it, i dont know why i cant but i always preferred physical books at libraries rather then on an ipad or such

>> No.1995501

I don't go to libraries, I just buy my books from Barnes and noble

>> No.1995519

Negro I live in Los Angeles.
I have my pick of about 3 large multibranch libraries 4 one branch libraries in addition to acces to USC, UCLA, and CSU libraries.
I dont need to buy a single book in my life.

>> No.1995531

Library book sales are the best thing ever. I went to one this Saturday and got 34 books for 17 dollars.

I got there early and stood in a line outside of the library with everyone else who got up before eight on a Saturday; mostly old ladies. If you get to one of these when they open, you can actually get some really good stuff. I usually don't ever see anyone grab a book I want either, the old ladies tend to ignore the literature and speculative fiction and fight over the Danielle Steele.

>> No.1995547

>>1995277
Shitty in the sense that's people read him just to read him. They're not looking for anything challenging or interesting, just a quick fix. Instead of something that sticks with you they'd rather read about a detective/cia agent/lawyer/cop who gets into some boring "been there-done that" situation.

>> No.1995596

Back when I was in college I used mine really frequently. I always had books checked out all year round. In fact, I wish I would of used more of it. When I move away from my college town I realized how much I missed the library. :'-(

It was weird though, I didn't see a lot of people checking out books... like ever. Most of the books I checked out, I was the first to check them out and they've been on the shelves for years. Kind of sad, really.

>> No.1995625

<<1995596 It is weird. I don't even bother to click the link in the catalogue anymore to see if the book I want is checked out; it never is. The only exception is Gravity's Rainbow, which must have a chain of people requesting it because it's always out. Especially weird since they let you keep books all semester and you can check out as many as you want.

>> No.1995644

I checked out some books like 17 years ago and never returned them.

>> No.1995649

>>1995625

Yeah it made me always want to write secret messages in books. One day when I'm a gazillioniare I'm going to leave clues in a bunch of library books that would lead some lucky college student to million dollar check in a book that hasn't been touched since 1978 or something haha.

>> No.1995668

I HEARD IN AMERICA PEOPLE WRITE IN LIBRARY BOOKS

>> No.1995777

My local library sucks ass. Most of the books they get are romance novels, crime or spy novels, old lady book club fare, or the newest book Bill O'Reilly shat out. In the past three years I've checked out two books from the library. Otherwise I just buy everything from Barnes and Noble, Amazon, or the used CD/DVD/game/book store in the city. (There are actually no bookstores in my town; I have to drive 25 miles to get to the nearest one. Though the antique stores here sometimes have interesting books.)

>> No.1995803

Yep, I live in a smallish city with a great library system, and the university I attend has an even better library (and access to a HUGE interlibrary loan program).

>> No.1995827

>>1995668
Sometimes I suppose, I think they would fine them though.

>> No.1995830

The downside to my college library is that there selection of trashy fiction books is worse than then your average library, and almost nothing published past 1990. If you want to read James Patterson for some reason you're out of luck because they don't have any.

>> No.1995855

I actually chose which college to go to in part because of the incredibly fuckawesome library there. I'm not sure if they stock the modern Patterson/Baldacci political-thriller-every-month crap, but they probably do.

It was UVA, by the way. Truly excellent library.

>> No.1995858

>>1995777

Do you live in the south?

>> No.1995881

>>1995858
I live in the South... Dakota.

Frankly, I'd rather live in the south. They have interesting architecture, better food, and winters that don't last six months.

>> No.1996289
File: 244 KB, 1000x758, jennie_june.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I only use the library because I can't justify spending money on books I'll only read once.

There's a library which is literally a 1 minute walk from my house but the selection is quite poor, it's not a big place, most of the books are Danielle Steele and there are signs pinned up around it saying ''Don't forget your handbag!'' - I wish I were joking.

There's a proper library 10 minutes down the road though.