[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 192 KB, 452x247, booker.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19936313 No.19936313 [Reply] [Original]

How do you find the restraint to just sit down and write when your brain is germinating with ideas? I get so excited and agitated to the point where i'm shaking everywhere with glee and need to pace around for hours, putting together the images in my head and talking to myself ; this is the high. But then, once the comedown happens, everything starts getting sluggish very quickly and i can only write two decent pages before all my mind tubes are clogged & frozen.
How do you get past this autism?

>> No.19936331
File: 457 KB, 2048x1365, 245968790_1525046111187428_1393797775398688732_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alcohol.

Go take a pen and a pad of paper. Sit at a bar. Shoot the shit with the staff and strangers that walk in. Listen. Enjoy the banter. Talk about some funny shit. Repeat x100 until you are comfortable just shit talking with strangers and writing down some of the funny stories you hear. Some will be tragic, it is a bar afterall.

Realize that the world is a super interesting place once you get beyond the outer facade of people's lives.

>> No.19936348

>>19936331
thank you for the advice, but unfortunately i am straight edge. but perhaps i could try that in a cafeteria. the concept of conversing with strangers and taking in their stories won't be new to me because i already do that in public transport, it made me appreciate life a whole lot more.
it still doesn't solve the actual writing process.

>> No.19936355

Unironically, deadlines help. Projects either get finished because they have to be, because of a deadline, and then with bitter weeping over all the corners that were cut and hard choices that had to be made because of the deadline, or they never get finished at all. It's way too easy to spend 30 years planning something, always adding to it and nuancing it. You need a reason to condense all that energy into a focused laser beam and actually put it on paper.

Some people can supply themselves with that reason but most people, even geniuses, are naturally weak and self-flattering, and need an external pressure (writing potboilers for literal food money, being fired or kicked out) to force them to stop fellating themselves over the limitless potential of their future genius masterwork and just write something.

>> No.19936365

>>19936348
Personally, I can't not write. I have to write. It is like something I am called to do. It is like my brain focuses on something so fucked up, envisions these characters talking to me, envisions their situations, struggles, adventures and pitfalls, and then the words form on the screen or paper.

Sit down somewhere with whatever you use to write with. Does the writing flow or not?

>> No.19936395

>>19936365
it comes in short limited bursts, like an occasional zap, with a long waiting time between each take. it's frustrating.
when i force myself to let what's in my head seep into a continuous flow it very quickly turns into incomprehensible overly abstract images. emphasis on force.

>> No.19936462

>>19936313
Try to record voiceovers instead

>> No.19936917

>>19936395
Do you have a space where you can go and just be you, alone?