[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 912 KB, 1365x2048, MV5BMTk5NDQ0ODAwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjkyMjI0NA@@._V1_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19894010 No.19894010 [Reply] [Original]

Over the past few weeks Cormac McCarthy's long awaited novel The Passenger has been floating around various Hollywood studios that are interested in auctioning it for a film. It's set to be released about a year from now. I got a chance to read it, am 400 pages in with about a 100 pages left. Can answer any questions you may have about the work.

>> No.19894013

Isn't McCarthy reddit-tier?

>> No.19894015

>>19894010
is it true it's about a schizophrenic genius Jewish woman?

>> No.19894025

>>19894010
Is it good?

>> No.19894027

>>19894013
On a board that doesn’t read, everything is Reddit-tier. Just ignore them and read Cormac.

>> No.19894050

>>19894015
Partially. I should've also prefaced the thread by saying that McCarthy apparently wrote two novels (I haven't read nor have access to the second). The first is essentially about a salvage diver haunted by the memory of his schizophrenic sister who was a genius physicist. There are interludes where the novel cuts back to the sister (Alice)'s time in a psych ward, where she's visited, I kid you not, by a hallucination of the kid from Blood Meridian reincarnated as a cowboy fishman. It's very, very bizarre.

From what I've been told the second novel focuses entirely on the sister.

>> No.19894059

>>19894025
I think so. As a regular novel, yes, it has extraordinary prose and powerful characters and dynamic conflict. As a McCarthy novel... it's kinda strange. It's like a Hollywood version of Suttree. It's also the first novel of his to explicitly feature more magical-realist elements. (I have read everything he wrote up to The Crossing but nothing beyond that, so I can't be sure if this is typical of his later work.) Long stretches of just people talking. Almost Cohen-esque dialogue. Again, it feels like he wrote it to be adapted for the screen.

>> No.19894079

>>19894050
Correction: meant to say the sister is a genius mathematician. The main character (his name is Western) is an ex-physicist turned salvage diver.

>> No.19894082

>>19894050
What can you tell me about this rumor that some people online were talking about that he was going to release all the projects he has been working on posthumously?

>> No.19894095

>>19894082
I haven't heard anything about that, but The Passenger and it's sibling book are definitely getting released sometime next year. Unless he has cancer and is gonna die within the next few months I don't see it being a posthumous release.

>> No.19894098

>>19894095
When you say sibling book, what do you mean exactly? They're two separate books? Or two parts in the same book? This reminds of Bolaño and how 2666 is actually five interconnected books but were released as one.

>> No.19894110

>>19894010
Has the man learned to use punctuation yet?

>> No.19894115

>>19894110
He uses what it's need. There are some punctuation marks that bloat the page.

>> No.19894122

>>19894098
They're two separate books. The first is called The Passenger, and is roughly 500 pages. I don't know what the second is called, but I was told it's the same length as the first. I doubt they'll be released in a single volume, it'd be too much material.

>> No.19894128

>>19894122
Interesting. Well, thanks your information, pal. Do you work in filmmaking?

>> No.19894159

>>19894010
Is he not interested in being hands on in the filming process in anyway? Will a certain studio possibly consult him or would he ask to work with the screen writers director?

>> No.19894188

>>19894128
No problem. And yeah I'm a writer, albeit pretty low on the totem pole. But the job passes along cool opportunities like this one, which is nice.

>>19894159
I have no idea, all I know is that the big studios are looking to option it early. My impression from the book is that McCarthy was trying to write a more palatable and commercial version of his early Southern Gothic novels. It's long, but would otherwise translate pretty cleanly to the screen.

>> No.19894244

>>19894188
It's hard to adapt a novel, especially by a writer who is largely considered due to his rare ways with language, do you imagine it making a good film? Any films or styles you might compare it to? Psychological mystery thriller? With art house indie flair? Deep dark brooding emotional rollercoaster sad depressing movie

>> No.19894288

>>19894188
>And yeah I'm a writer, albeit pretty low on the totem pole
Can you give me a job as your assistant or something?

>> No.19894315

>>19894244
I think the way McCarthy wrote the characters makes it very adaptable. It's similar to Suttree, in that it focuses on a cast of quirky deadbeats in a Southern city (in this case, New Orleans), and a central character who is a misanthropic genius / outcast who has decided to slum it out because of past trauma. But whereas Suttree is largely about a fisherman and a water-melon fucker, Passenger is about a really cool salvage diver and a genius schizo physicist and a bar owner who quotes Rilke and a trans woman (yes, there's a trans character) and FBI agents who spend their time tracking down aliens (yes, there are aliens). As you can see, the latter are more flashy and "dynamic" characters.

Western I could also see being played by a pretty big named actor. He's honestly very similar to Rust Cohl from True Detective. Depressed genius sigma male haunted by the past. He's almost too cool, though (was a physicist who then became a Formula 1 race car driver who then inherited a million dollars in Nazi treasure from his Grandma).

The one thing that definitely wouldn't sit well with a mainstream audience is the fact that Western has an incestuous relationship with his sister. Another aspect of the novel that's very strange. In fact everything with the sister is strange, the parts with her are unironically most similar to something Pynchon would write.

>> No.19894322

>>19894315
100% LARP

>> No.19894333

>>19894315
>aliens, nazis, incest
haha come on now

>> No.19894396

>>19894322
Not a larp. I can post excerpts from the book as proof, if you'd like.

>>19894333
The aliens are mentioned by a duo of FBI agents who are investigating Western after he salvages a recently crashed plane that is mysteriously missing a passenger. That's the central problem of the book and also the source of its title. I'll admit the Nazi thing is a bit facetious on my part, but the grandma is a Jewish exile who hides a bunch of gold coins in her house that Western discovers shortly after she dies. His father also worked alongside Oppenheimer in developing the atom bomb or some shit, I couldn't tell.

And yes, the two have a sexual relationship that starts when she's 13 and Western is in grad school for physics. During the sister's sections, the ghost of the Kid from BM constantly mocks her for wanting to fuck her brother.

>> No.19894405

>>19894396
Sounds like the biggest piece of shit from a major author. I'm just being honest here, I don't mean to be rude. What a fall from grace, if this is true.

>> No.19894409

>>19894315
>incestuous relationship with his sister.
So basically Outer Dark? Why does he like incest so much?

>> No.19894444

>>19894315
Cool, so mccarthy is letting loose and letting it all hang out. He wrote his restrained and to degrees minimalistic works, of pace and mood and atmosphere, and nature. This seems to be going all out in interesting and modern directions, actually interested how this may play out.

Wonder if the coen brothers would be interested again. I'm out of the loop on good contemporary directors. I wonder if too star studded would take away from the integrity of the films substance and content, too distracting, josh brolin was costumed enough and Tommy Lee Jones good enough actor, and a then unknown actor as the villain.

But the writer would I think deserve the desire of major actors to be in it. Very difficult job for casting to not ruin such a potential movie. Rarely do thru have to worry about the integrity of a film, because it's mostly crap and they rarely deal with a text of a master right.

What other directors would give the book it's highest representation. I wish blood Meridian would have been made a movie by now so I don't have to read it. I have never really read mcarthu just know of some excerpts and summeries, and seen no country, so dont know why I am so intersted or concerned with coming out great besided maybe my first art love was film, rarely does Hollywood work with a text from a creative artist master, and he is an elder man who has made a lifetime of quality work and this one appears in good ways an attempt at novelty

>> No.19894453

>>19894315
>Pynchon
Wouldn't it be cool if they were friends and shared writing they were working on for criticisms and discussion

>> No.19894469

>>19894405
Eh, it's not that bad, just like a "commercial" primer of some of his earlier works. By far the worst aspect is the way he injects pseudo-scientific dialogue into nearly every scene. It's like the textbook example of a writer having his character repeat widely available facts in order to appear smart, rather than making them actually do smart things. Like, in a part I just read, a character literally is describing the kind of rifle Oswald used (there's a good amount of Kennedy tier conspiracy theory shit in the novel, which combined with the emphasis on physics and looney tunes cutaways reminds me of Pynchon), and Western suddenly blurts out how "Energy increases equally with mass but it increases with the square of the speed", which really impresses the guy he's talking with. It's just very try-hard, like McCarthy got a little too high off of sniffing his own farts after hanging around all his Santa Fe science buddies for a couple decades.

>> No.19894477

>>19894010
If it's being pitched to Hollywood, does that mean the prose is in the style of No Country? I need this work, most likely his last, to be in the Cormac style or I'm gonna sneed, feed, and seed.

>> No.19894478

>>19894333
forgot trannies

>> No.19894481

>>19894396
>the ghost of the Kid from BM constantly mocks her for wanting to fuck her brother.
It's explicitly said like she read the book and knows the book in a meta way,? Or just thekid is introduced as a character and you piece it together that's who it is?

>> No.19894498

>>19894444
>I wish blood Meridian would have been made a movie by now so I don't have to read it.
kys

>> No.19894540

>>19894396
Yes. Post them.

>> No.19894554

Would be a very nice larp if true

>> No.19894560

>>19894477
I haven't read No Country, so I wouldn't know. Surprisingly about 70% of the novel is dialogue, but there is a lot of Gothic prose that uses archaic language. Just flipped to a random page and saw

>He walked back through the Quarter. Past Jackson Square. The Cabildo. The rich moss and cellar smell of the city thick on the night air. A cold and skullcolored moon driving through the skeins of cloud beyond the roofslates. The tiles and chimneypots. A ship's horn on the river. The streetlamps stood in globes of vapor and the buildings were dark and sweating. At times the city seemed older than Nineveh.

There are better examples, but yeah.

>>19894481
The latter. He's referred to as the kid, wears a cowboy hat, and talks with a lot of "aint's" and that whole dialect. Except he's also half-fish, for whatever reason. There aren't any explicit call-backs, but it can't be totally coincidental either, since McCarthy's obviously aware of the associations of that name. I don't know why he's there in the story, but he is.

>> No.19894582

>>19894079
>>19894050
If not larping, already cool to note the relation ship between math and physics,
Could be allegory, the incest thjen too, how much physics depends on pure math

Alice being used as in bob and Alice in physics problems.

The mathmatixian being in mental institution, the craziness of mathmaticians existing in a realm of such complexity and abstraction.

The brother being race car driver, salvage diver, bar tender, more interested in worldly concerns, physics, tangible.

>> No.19894586

>>19894560
>Except he's also half-fish
lol. please be true

>> No.19894596

>>19894059
I wouldn't be surprised. No Country was written as a screenplay and he wrote Sunset Limited. Dude obviously has some Hollywood ambition with this work

>> No.19894598

>>19894560
Okay. That is definitely not somebody imitating McCarthy. What a fall from grace! I love CM and I hate where he is going with it. I WANT SCHIZO MCCARTHY! I WANT HIM TO GO BALLS OUT AND ECCENTRICALLY FILTER EVERYBODY LIKE IN SUTTREE!
Hopefully this is like The border trilogy and a more accessible novel (Atph) is followed by his vintage eccentric ones (TC). This sounds better than Atph would have to people when it was to come out (he was accused of selling out back then too), so maybe the 2nd one would be better than The Crossing.

>> No.19894610

>>19894596
Sunset limited is like the most anti-hollywood, anti-dramatic play. Literally two dudes with different viewpoints talking, not even debating, just talking for 1 and a half hour.

>> No.19894621

>>19894582
Yes exactly, Western even comment at one point how his sister could see into "the heart of numbers" or some shit, and realizing that made him switch to physics. But for her it's not even math as he understands it, since that would be transforming her experience of the world into a "tool".

There's also a twenty page section in which Western explains the relationship between quantum theory and Heidegger. That part was very gripping. It's definitely McCarthy's most philosophical novel since Blood Meridian.

>>19894598
Passenger is pretty schizo (literally, since the 2nd main character is schizophrenic), and aside from the beginning not at all romantic or adventurous like AtPH.

>>19894610
That sounds a lot like this, except the characters are very flashy in a conventional Hollywood format.

>> No.19894627

>>19894315
Tell us more about the tranny. Is it a degenerate character or did Mccarthy sell out completely and it's a "real woman" situation?

>> No.19894677

>>19894621
Who are 3 or 5 directors you could see possibly doing a great job?
Any actors come to mind for the major parts?

>> No.19894694

>>19894582
>race car driver, salvage diver
Very physics orientated, speed/velocity, pushing man's limits of knowing and harnessing the laws of physics, but giving up the study of physics to play with physics.

Salvage diving, depths, salvage, the physicists interest in history, deep history, hidden history, bringing back pieces of things, to try figure out what it is, Whem and where it came from

>> No.19894708
File: 46 KB, 700x641, 2423423423.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw it's real
wtf, pals. aliens, nazis, incest, and... trannies? what the fuck's going on??

>> No.19894713

>>19894560
post the bit with the incest. I cannot believe he went that route.

>> No.19894795

>>19894010
Interesting. It all rings true to me. Follows on from The Counselor if you think about the trajectory of his work.

Of course, he could have planned the whole novel just from browsing 4chan:

— maths & physics
/sci/

— Nazis, genius schizo Jew girl, FBI agents
/pol/

— aliens
/x/

— brother-sister incest
/a/

— Pynchonesque plot
/lit/

— screenplay style
/tv/

>> No.19894798

>>19894795

Also

— pretentious philosophical bollocks
/lit/

>> No.19894815

>>19894621
>quantum theory
Hopefully he didn't shoot his foot or bite his tongue or whatever appropriate expression, and gobble up All the meme pop science Quantum woo woo that was promoted in the public sphere

>> No.19894823

>>19894815
This worries me too. If you read the screenplay for the Counselor as he wrote it (not as they filmed it), there was a lot of bollocks tech stuff at the end when Malkina is talking to a young Chinese-American hacker about stealing money online, and McCarthy is trying so hard to sound cool, and it's just a bollocks word salad. I really hope he doesn't do that.

>> No.19894846

>>19894823
How was that movie,no just looked up a bit about it.

I thought this interesting and amusing, that it doesn't matter if a film is good or bad, it can possibly profit 50$ million, bad news for film lovers, understandable the state of the film world has been:

"The Counselor grossed $17 million in the United States and Canada, and $54 million in other territories, for a total of $71 million, against a production budget of $25 million.[4]

On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 34% based on 210 reviews, with an average rating of 4.91/10. On Met Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "D+”

>> No.19894859

>>19894815
These scientific concepts were already present in his work even as far back as Outer Dark, especially in The Crossing; but they were always subtle and nonchalantly delivered. He knows enough to not make a fool of himself and his ideas are always interesting enough, but discussing them explicitly sounds very unlike him.

>> No.19894867

>>19894846
It was definitely underrated. It's making a modest resurgence.

Everyone's expectations were sky-high (Cormac script, Riddley Scott directing, everyone in the world starring in it) and then it was not quite that good so it got panned.

Basically people wanted 11/10 and it's only like 7½/10 so everyone called it a 3.

It's good, I think. The biggest flaw is people keep giving these bollocks pretentious monologues. He loves doing it in the novels so it was to be expected I guess. (The original screenplay was even worse, They cut a lot of them out.)

Philosophically it's basically the same as No Country, i.e. Mexico is savage and the USA is getting effete and decadent and bad times are coming.

The most interesting character is Malkina. She's classed as the villain but she's not really. She just a pure predator. The implication is, she is the only sort of person who will thrive in the decades to come.

>> No.19894920

>>19894867
I recall the trailers and just saw that movie poster. On the poster for me there is something off putting on the color tones and balence, the stylization or lack there of, the lighting, sheen of clothing, cinematography style seems like the type to film commercials, maybe this was purposefully chosen as a textural statement, about the artificiality superficiality of these characters and their world, maybe I should watch the film and see for my self how much the camera and lighting changes

>> No.19894957

>>19894920
Or no, maybe I am so attuned to the common fantasyesque, poetic license, expressionism of film making stylization that when I am confronted with a film shot in raw hd near common visual reality it is jarring.

I have been away from film watching for a while, but do recall years ago seeing movies in the theater and the uninhibited philosophical psychological places the mind cam go, this can occur watching movies on tv as well, or watching anything, a kind of disassociation, where I might ponder on the actors life, or facial features, or clothing, to break the 4th wall as am audience member and consider so many tangents about life and film making beyond what is given.

Film is an intensely hard medium. The confidence to act, a line, a scene. To be comfortable with all face movements, and mouth and word productions. Did the director to be confident to capture this or that shot, to know it will be best, and string many together, that will be most right and rewarding. Beautiful art. One if the greatest arts taking the baton from opera due to its ability to contain within it all arts, this however taken over by Tv shows, for theoretically a tv show can contain a movie within it

>> No.19894958
File: 111 KB, 1240x1239, anti-worker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19894627
trans rights are human rights bigot

>> No.19895061

>>19894867
The philosophical dialogue came off perfectly in The Sunset limited, and most of the rambles in his post BM work are also pretty good. Did he lose his ability? I don't think so. I think he might've been trying to get the Shakespearean aesthetic right. Not only to write a tragedy after the Bard but also try to replicate some of his idiosyncrasies. The out of place monologues were probably meant as the soliloquy equivalent here. The unexpected people delivering them is also in line with Shakespeare's fools and pedestrians with the odd passionate, philosophical speech. Film was the wrong medium to do it I thought, the production team fucked up the aesthetic too. It is an interesting failure atleast.

>> No.19895198

>>19894396
>I can post excerpts from the book as proof, if you'd like.
Please do

>> No.19895325

>>19894815
He was best friends for 30 years with Murray Gell-Mann out of their shared interest in physics, maths and linguistics. He is pretty serious about these things.

>> No.19895331

>>19894713
You dirty dog.

>> No.19895357

>>19895198
>>19894540
You can't actually believe this is real, can you?

>> No.19895402

>>19894010
It's all about the money, Hank. All about the money. Btw, show is the photos, Oppie.

>> No.19895545

>>19894010
>It's set to be released about a year from now.
God help ur soul if you are lying

>> No.19895562

>>19895357
>He walked back through the Quarter. Past Jackson Square. The Cabildo. The rich moss and cellar smell of the city thick on the night air. A cold and skullcolored moon driving through the skeins of cloud beyond the roofslates. The tiles and chimneypots. A ship's horn on the river. The streetlamps stood in globes of vapor and the buildings were dark and sweating. At times the city seemed older than Nineveh.
Pretty sure nobody else could have written this. Unless OP has put together various passages from bunch of his books to compose it.

>> No.19895887

>>19894560
just merged his bibliography into an epub and searched though for any similar quotes and found nothing . If larp , good . If larp , leak it for god's sake .

>> No.19895945

>>19894957
beautiful post. i wish there were better places to discuss films in depth online.

>> No.19895996

>>19895562
That writing reads like a caricature of McCarthy, not McCarthy himself. As well,
>At times the city seemed older than Nineveh.
Is not something McCarthy does in his writing. When he makes grand allusions like this, he often prefaces with 'seems' or 'perhaps' as in the case of:
>The sun stood directly over them. It seemed hung there in glaring immobility, as if perhaps arrested with surprise to see above the earth again these odds of morkin once commended there.
From Outer Dark. On top of that, it's too close to a caricature of his early novels. McCarthy published Suttree in his 40s, about 40 years ago, and has long since cut his southern gothic writing with other aspects.

Post more OP, though it's not looking very good for you. I'm going to generously assume you didn't write this, but whoever wrote this makes a poor McCarthy indeed.

>> No.19896391

Just finished the book. The ending is superbly written, and very depressing. Little is resolved narratively. The MC is on the run from the IRS, he realizes he's losing his memory of his sister, and then he kind of fizzles out. He also meets the kid who his sister was hallucinating. Strangely enough the plane with the missing passenger is never brought up again, but I'm imagining it'll be acknowledged in the second book.

I gotta go to work soon so I'll respond to the questions here and then come back later tonight to answer some more, if the thread's still up.

>>19894627
She's an alcoholic prostitute that works at a strip-joint or something of that nature, but in typical Cormac fashion, she also quotes Pascal and knows neuroscience and shit like that. I could see the alphabet people getting pissed at her representation, but she was well written imo (plus there are other things for the New York Times to bitch about, such as the fact that Cormac casually uses the gamer word like a hundred times)

>>19894713
The book is like 500 pages of loose-leaf paper so it'll be hard to find, but lemme look.

>>19894815
>>19894823
Yeah I'm afraid I have to confirm your suspicions, at about the halfway point the dialogue starts to read like some Neil Degrasse Tyson or Kip Thorne pop-sci fi book (Cormac even falls for the time travel meme, which is unfortunate). I think half the audience will like that aspect and the other half will hate it. I stand somewhere in between, it wasn't too overbearing but, like I said in a previous post, I rolled my eyes at a lot of sections.

>>19894859
See above. There are long passages devoted purely to the explanation of scientific concepts.

>>19895198
The ending had a lot of typical Cormac passages, so I'll post a few of them.

>I had this recurring dream of you. One of two. Alone on the ocean floor in your indiarubber unionsuit. Fleeing some yawning subduction. You struggled in those hadal deeps like a man wading through mucilage while the pugs of your leaden shoes closed slowly in the loam behind you. The plates creaking. The clouds of silt rolling slowly up to engulf you. Your lamp had eked out and you were left to make your way in the eerie light of the ancient fumaroles smoking in the distance like standing candles. That was something more than poetic in your flight before those hellish sealamps out of whose sulphurous womb it well may be that life itself was brokened in the long ago.

Another dream section (there's a lot of these)

>He'd seen him one final time in a dream. God's own mudlark trudging cloaked and muttering the barren selvage of some nameless desolation where the cold sidereal sea breaks and seethes and the storms howl in from out of that black and heaving alcahest. Trudging the shingles of the universe, his thin shoulders turned to the stellar winds and the suck of alien moons dark as stones. A lonely shoreloper hurrying against the night, small and friendless and brave.

>> No.19896458

>>19896391
Look ,at this point just leak a page or two , no one is going to notice ...

>> No.19896459

>>19896391
Bro...spoiler alert ***

>> No.19896582

>>19896391
How difficult was it? Accessible like his last two books or more difficult like earlier southern gothic ones?

>> No.19896585

>>19896391
>I had this recurring dream of you. One of two. Alone on the ocean floor in your indiarubber unionsuit. Fleeing some yawning subduction. You struggled in those hadal deeps like a man wading through mucilage while the pugs of your leaden shoes closed slowly in the loam behind you. The plates creaking. The clouds of silt rolling slowly up to engulf you. Your lamp had eked out and you were left to make your way in the eerie light of the ancient fumaroles smoking in the distance like standing candles. That was something more than poetic in your flight before those hellish sealamps out of whose sulphurous womb it well may be that life itself was brokened in the long ago.

>He'd seen him one final time in a dream. God's own mudlark trudging cloaked and muttering the barren selvage of some nameless desolation where the cold sidereal sea breaks and seethes and the storms howl in from out of that black and heaving alcahest. Trudging the shingles of the universe, his thin shoulders turned to the stellar winds and the suck of alien moons dark as stones. A lonely shoreloper hurrying against the night, small and friendless and brave.

This is not McCarthy, and you are a forger and a doublefaggot. Anyone who believes you is a fool, and if you have the chance at lunch today you should consider drinking nigger cum or eating shit, of course don't let that stop you from doing both.

>> No.19896802

I wish gravity's rainbow would be made a film. It would be Sooo hard to do it justice and right, but would have the potential to be a great classic in cinema history, falling on brilliant dynamic genious from actors to cinematographers, also hard to cram it all in to 3 hours. But also don't know if theres enough there to make a 5 episode mini series.

I imagine a dream sceanrio of Stanley Kubrick directing gravitys rainbow taking some hints of some olive stone natural born killers techniques, I resist a kneejerk thought of a cliche Wes Anderson like montage of slotherop winding through the plumbing pipes, but also would not want to see it like Bruce Willis crawling through ventilation.

An initial thought is slotherop arriving in London, or introducing him in London, close up on his face looking around like 'ernest' from those Ernest movies, never was a fan but that close up disorientating claustraphobia is just a few seconds of effects that show the fun that can he had with the cinematography and style of this possible film.

An endless supply of over the top flamboyant virtuso actor performances. Variety of rich settings, wonderful language.

Major consideration would be the nature of a narrator.... That is always tough... I don't know my thoughts on narrator in film, I usually quickly accept it, but often to remain captivated in the fantasy of film a narrator can jar you lose.

For poetic descriptions of nature or buildings and thing by narrator this can be done by using the camera as that narrarator.

>> No.19897302

>>19896802

>I imagine a dream sceanrio of Stanley Kubrick directing gravitys rainbow
I think Kubrick was made to make that film:
From paths of glory, Dr strangelove, clockwork orange, full metal jacket, the shining, eyes wide shut... Gravity's Rainbow follows perfectly.

Mix in Oliver stone in natural born killers tasteful experiments (though can't go overboard), Jean luc Godards pacing and patience, and yea maybe it can be a compelling 5 part mini series.

Heck, get amazon or Netflix to give Pynchon a few mil to work on making a 12 episode season, or longer, that encapsulates gravity's rainbow, and then expands it into what comes after of the character or current events too.

This I geuss is what partly a lot of those NCIS law and order government spys Russians Americans soliders tv shows are about any way so just forget it, 5-12 episodes.

It just can't be stiff and stale and souless robot dolls giving stock schlock lines.

So Stanley Kubrick, Oliver stone, jean luc Godard, and Pynchon must write and direct it.

>> No.19897314

>>19897302
>Jean luc Godards pacing and patience,
Colors and framing too

>> No.19898208

What directors and actors would good for this

>> No.19898359
File: 31 KB, 348x424, Screenshot 2022-02-09 155437.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Uhhhhh fellas?

>> No.19898402

>>19898359
https://www.cormacmccarthy.com/topic/the-passenger-speculation/

>> No.19898438

>>19894396
> I can post excerpts from the book as proof, if you'd like.

Do it, please

>> No.19898551

>>19898402
Retard, you linked this thread from 4chan itself instead of the warosu archive, after 2 weeks that link will be unusable.

>> No.19898553

>>19894396
>Not a larp, I can post excerpts
Nearly 24 hours later and this dweeb still hasn't posted anything. Can't believe you were so fucking lonely you just made shit up for attention.

>> No.19898725

>>19898553
>>19898438
He did link them, and they were fake. >>19896585

>> No.19898790

>>19896802
The only man fit to adapt GR is Kusturica. Underground is the closest thing to it in cinema.

>> No.19898807

>>19897302
Pure reddit take. Godard? Seriously?

>> No.19898812

>>19894621
>>19894610
Any other movies like sunset limited? I know of a diner with Andre but that’s it

>> No.19898825

>>19894396
Just show the front page or something

>> No.19898839 [DELETED] 

>>19894010
>A few years before he died, Allan Eckert told me that there was a conspiracy among corporate publishers so that certain demands were made of any new book, that always before he had just submitted his books, consistently best sellers, and the few editing niches were then worked out. But that now, he was being required to submit a complete text synopsis of every chapter, and that there was a whole list of politically correct rules that he had to meet, all micro-managed by the bureaucracy.

>I said that he needed to go to a different more intelligent publisher, almost any of whom, surely, would be glad to have him. No, he said, these political people had infiltrated everywhere and were threatening all into submission. He sent me a manuscript copy of his new book and a list of his publisher’s demands. It is a great book, but Eckert died without seeing it published.

Not related to The Passenger, but I found this interesting. Who could be behind this, bros?

>> No.19898849

>>19898402
>A few years before he died, Allan Eckert told me that there was a conspiracy among corporate publishers so that certain demands were made of any new book, that always before he had just submitted his books, consistently best sellers, and the few editing niches were then worked out. But that now, he was being required to submit a complete text synopsis of every chapter, and that there was a whole list of politically correct rules that he had to meet, all micro-managed by the bureaucracy.

>I said that he needed to go to a different more intelligent publisher, almost any of whom, surely, would be glad to have him. No, he said, these political people had infiltrated everywhere and were threatening all into submission. He sent me a manuscript copy of his new book and a list of his publisher’s demands. It is a great book, but Eckert died without seeing it published.

Not related to The Passenger, but I found this interesting. Who could be behind this, bros?

>> No.19898863

>>19898849
Yeah weird. Vollmann has trouble getting his books out there as they are! That is kinda scary.

>> No.19898919

>>19896582
I haven't read his last few books, but I'd say it was pretty accessible. For the most part a straight-forward narrative, lots of dialogue, occasionally punctuated by more obscurant passages and philosophical digressions. Very similar to his earlier stuff thematically and atmospherically.

>>19898438
>>19898553
I posted a few passages, I can post more if you'd like. I don't know how helpful they will be at convincing you. I can assure you that I am not as good a writer as McCarthy.

>>19898825
It's 500 pages of looseleaf print outs, no fancy formatting or anything. When I get back from work I'll post some pages

>> No.19898957

>>19898807
Camera angles, editing, long takes, aesthetics

>> No.19898962

>>19898957
Godard is based as fuck. He would be a good pick for Gravity's Rainbow. I think he would do a great job with Blood Meridian as well.

>> No.19898973

>>19898962
But he is a bit too soft, simple and plain forbthe material, his cinematography that is, it's a bit too light and clear and plain and beautiful, I feel like gravitys rainbow would need a lot of different film styles to accomadate the lots of different characters and sets, moods and themes

>> No.19899009

>>19898807
>>19898962
>>19898807
>Godard? Seriously?
https://youtu.be/ju8q0K_nBEE

https://youtu.be/GjwsxoyGmsA

Bro I said Godard mixed with natural born killers Oliver stone and Stanley Kubrick. Of course it would need other styles and techniques as well. All sorts of things to capture the various moods, themes, poetrys, vibes, psychedelics, hallucinations etc

>> No.19899014

>>19899009
>Godard mixed with natural born killers Oliver stone and Stanley Kubrick
Your taste is somehow worse than reddit.

>> No.19899018

>>19894050
>There are interludes where the novel cuts back to the sister (Alice)'s time in a psych ward, where she's visited, I kid you not, by a hallucination of the kid from Blood Meridian reincarnated as a cowboy fishman.
McCarthy Literary Universe confirmed?

>> No.19899023

>>19899014
Name the directors who would do gravity's rainbow better?

>> No.19899032

>>19899023
As this anon >>19898790 said, Kusturica would have been great. Probably not current Kusturica though, but if he had done it around the time he made Underground he would have nailed it.

>> No.19899054

>>19899032
Underground doesn't seem like it would be a good test to making gravity's rainbow it's highest potential.... This gravity's rainbow, this is not just another film to be made, this is subject material that vcan make one if the great classics of film history. I am certain Kubrick would have made it and he made nothing but powerful classics. It might have even been considered one if his best. His whole lifes work was warm up practice to make gravity's rainbow.

Gravity's rainbow is pure cinema, cinematic pages. Which is why I am always shocked and appaled Pynchon seemingly never was clamouring to make a film.

I geuss the reason being, a novel is a much less expensive film to create relying on much fewer people to make it with much increased freedom and expression, but at the same time the abilities of film do many things novels cannot come close to

>> No.19899057

>>19899014
This is literally pure kino, poetic at that

https://youtu.be/i0i8XR9Cztc

>> No.19899064

>>19898973
>>19898962
>>19898957
>>19898863
>>19898812
>>19898790
>>19898807
>>19898208
>>19897302
>>19897314
>>19896802
>>19895945
>>19894957
>>19894920
>>19894867
>>19894846
>>19894823
>>19894795
>>19894677
>>19894610
>>19894596
>>19894469
>>19894444
>>19894396
>>19894244
>>>/tv/

>> No.19899065

>>19899054
>>19899057
Can't tell if you're baiting to make Kubrick and Godard look bad. If you were a normal person I would assume so, but perhaps you're genuinely autistic.

>> No.19899070

>>19894013
Imagine letting labels control how you think.

>> No.19899079

>>19899065
What directors do you think would make the best possible Gravity's Rainbow?

>> No.19899087

>>19899064
Shakespeare wrote plays, modern writers write screenplays, it is literature

>> No.19899298

>>19899079
Quite possibly? Me.

>> No.19899336

Hi this is Cormac's editor. We are currently reaching out to anyone who we loaned a copy of this draft. We will find you, and we will take legal action against you. I hope this was worth it to you.

>> No.19899356

>>19899336
Can you give me a job as an assistant or something?

>> No.19899474

>>19899298
I doubt it, seeing as I am likely most definitely a better director than you, and I wouldn't trust my self with producing a historically significant object of this magnitude using someone else's source material, I am sorry to say anon I do not believe you are fit for the gig.

Any others you can suggest? Or I'm kidding;. What are some techniques and ideas you have to try to film it that would make it as special and great as it needs to be?
What directors would you compare your tastes and style to? by actors in mind?

>> No.19899499

>>19899474
You can discuss it on /tv/ or in another thread. This isn't the thread for it, neither the movie nor the book.

>> No.19899528

>>19896391
Have you read 'Whales and men'? McCarthy's unpublished, 2nd draft screenplay, which is more platonic dialogues than anything else. A lot of his post BM work draws from it. The science angle, the biologist/physicist/philosopher cast, even portago is mentioned with the racecar angle, The kid being half fish probably has something to do with one of the monologues in the screenplay related to Whale ancestry. This is the direction he has been going in, evolutionary biology had its imprint all over The Crossing and Cities of the plain; now in that cormac McCarthy society thread someone mentioned that these last (possibly) 3 novels were started immediately after Suttree was published, as he was writing BM. That's 42 years and we only know about one of these books. I think he might be doing what he did with The border trilogy, but trying to distill all his oeuvre into these 3 novels, the first of which takes after the southern gothic works as you mentioned.

>> No.19899554

>>19899032
Yuck, Underground looks way too common and derivitive. Trite, simple, plain. Lacking imagination.

Are you familiar with gravity's rainbow at all!!! Songs and dream sequences and dances and telepathy and magik and complex settings, and characters. This material cannot be just another looking movie. It has to be trancendant.. there are so many newer film techniques that can be utilized, iudgeing from underground that guy doesn't seem to possess the guts or sensibilities to choose the right ones for the right scenes. Maybe I'm crazy, yeah, but I can't imagine it being anything other than awkward and dissapointing, and maybe thus is why there is resistance.

To solidify the infinities of mental visions of a text into one exact movie... But this is nothing new and has been s proceed since the birth of cinema.

But really who coukd play slotherop.

And what may the zone appear as on screen, some deer hunter derivitive. There are only do many ways to depict things, which is why my gut speaking claims such a novel book desires novel techniques and stylization, but not overdonenog course. But yes one can't expect too cartoony, one does not want to overstylize like make it like Tron or sin city, have not seen the former and not knocking these movies, but myself harping on stylization those are examples of extreme.

So at the end of it any attempt really would do, as I even if it were made in the 70s in a simple cinemotagesphic James bond style. Or how casablanca can be a great classic with minimal effects.

What's important is pacing, I'm the text there are frentetic frenzies of exciting delerious activity, and meandering pastoral musing. And everyythinh in between.

I don't think we want completely non stop action, then the film will blur by and we will be quickly sad it is over, we will have hardly gotten to know it.

So we need some tone developing and getting used to our characters, so they become lively, and meaningful, and real,seven if Pynchon quickly tosses them aside.

The sets, lighting, outfits, camera angles, have to lend themselves to this ingratiating quality, so we are there with the character, and invested, drawn in, the imagination that is the reading of the book Is being shown to us in the most grand and wonderful of qualities. It leaves no beauty and charm depth and intrigue un displayed, underdeveloped.

>> No.19899579

>>19899554
>>19899474
>>19899054
>>19899009
>>19897302
>>19896802
I haven't read Gravity's Rainbow, but you're such a huge faggot you're making me hate it already.

>> No.19899617
File: 175 KB, 428x364, Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 10.46.58 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19898402
I was laughing at the obvious fake in this thread and now I'm starting to get anxious that it's not fake

>> No.19899631

for the last few months or so, I have started narrating my actions out loud in the style of Cormac McCarthy whenever I make and eat what I call a "mccarthy breakfast"
a "mccarthy breakfast" consists of eggs, beans, tortillas, coffee and sometimes peppers or toast or potatoes
the best part is that you can have any or all of the components of a "mccarthy breakfast" cold, lukewarm, hot, or burnt and it is all different and delicious
I eat this ten or fifteen times a month and I have gotten real good at eating and narrating the "mccarthy breakfast"
for example this morning:
>The man bought out some tins of beans and scooped it into a spare plate.
>He put on a pan to make coffee with. He watched the fire and boiled water and got a cup.
>The man cooked beans and eggs and cornmeal made from meal and water and sat eating.
>The man did not want to wash another plate so he used the tortillas to spoon the beans and eggs directly from the pan.
>The man ate his breakfast and drank coffee.
sometimes, I'll add a protein like ham or bacon or vienna sausages and have a "mccarthy dinner"
I eat the "mccarthy dinner" in complete silence by the kitchen sink in the dark with no narration or thoughts
by my estimation, I eat a "mccarthy dinner" about five to ten times a month

>> No.19899647

>>19899617
Corncob was on Epstein's logs. Hanging out with other people in that circle like Stephen Pinker. He was living in a hut in El Paso when he wrote Blood Meridian. So now you're going to get the work that the celebrity Oprah chapter of his life produced.

>> No.19899655

Do you think McCarthy's son ever posts here?

>> No.19899706

>>19899528
Very interesting anon, no I hadn't read that book prior to the Passenger. I can see what you're saying about the evolutionary biology angle fitting into it, there is a lot of discussion about the "world" that we inhabit, and how worldliness differs between humans and animals, which is of course partially the product of a biological constraint. Another relevant spiel from Western:

>Some of the difficulty with quantum mechanics has to reside in the problem of coming to terms with the simple fact that there is no such thing as information in and of itself independent of the apparatus necessary to its perception. There were no starry skies prior to the first sentient and ocular being to behold them. Before that all was blackness and silence.
>And yet it moved.
>And yet.

Gonna log off this AMA thing, but if you guys have any more questions or want any more passages just let me know, I'll lurk the thread until it dies. In a year or so once the novel is officially released I think this thread will look pretty cool in retrospect. Just know you heard it first on /lit/

>> No.19899737

>>19899617
OP could have read something like that link, and then larped in the blanks

>> No.19899783

>>19899706
This shit kinda sucks enough to seem fake but it’s also plausible given the road

>> No.19899978

>>19894010
Guys, what OP described is pretty plausible. Look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivuL3ya3KyI

>> No.19900119

>>19899978
So OP put a lot of effort in his bait, or he's saying the truth. OP, stop being a fag and give me a job. Come on.

>> No.19900125

>>19900119
I think he's telling the truth. I don't see how he would be lying. Call me an idiot if you want but this is it. This is Cormac's last work and there is nothing more.

>> No.19900207

>>19900125
His post about the Kid reappearing as a fishman makes me doubt, but yeah, it seems like it is the real deal. I suspect it will be a disappointment, but we'll see. Also probably the companion book is the one from the excerpts in this video >>19899978, which is written as a play. OP, can you watch the video and confirm if the excerpt is in the book?

>> No.19900233

>>19900207
From the reports earlier, he is working on 3 novels. That play about the schizo mathematician is complementary with The Passenger, that is to say the novel+play is one work of fiction. Or so I have heard.

>> No.19900234

>>19900207
Yes, that passage is in the book. Specifically the sister Alicia (or Alice, I forget already) is a genius 13 year old who attends the Universe of Chicago, and she also happens to be an expert on violins (she gives professional craftsmen advice on how to make violins with the "perfect sound"). After their rich grandma dies she spends her inheritance of $500,000 on an amati violin while in the psych institute (where she shortly after kills herself).

And yes, the kid reappears in the novel as a fish-man hallucination. His chapters are very Pynchonesque, kind of like the kamikaze pilot section of Gravity's Rainbow. At one point he even dresses in blackface and puts on a minstrel show.

>> No.19900249

>>19900234
>At one point he even dresses in blackface and puts on a minstrel show.
Come on, anon. You're taking me as a fool now.

>> No.19900506

>>19898807
Godard filters reddit you dumb casual. If anything Kubrick is pure reddit.

>>19898973
You have seen 5 Godard films tops.

>> No.19900523

>>19899032
Kusturica is literally a discount Fellini and there are better Felliniesque directors out there too.

>> No.19901315

>nearly 48 hours on and OP still hasn't posted a physical picture or video

>> No.19901344
File: 795 KB, 1280x1251, 1593186356282.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

inb4 Pynchon is writing McCarthy's next novel and McCarthy is writing Pynchon's and they both go to collect their shared Nobel Prize for literature dressed as a pantomime horse and then they both die the next day refusing to elaborate further.

>> No.19901387

please let this thread die

>> No.19901612

>>19894694
lmao is this what midwits are impressed by

>> No.19901625

>>19901387
Why?

>> No.19901706

>>19901625
Because it's so obviously fake and being kept alive only by inane conversations that should be on an entirely different board.

>> No.19901716

>>19901706
what, not enough evola/tbk/self-help threads going on at the moment?

>> No.19901739
File: 7 KB, 175x287, images.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19901612
this is your energy

>> No.19902165

>>19901716
Agreed. This is the first thread in months worth opening.

>> No.19902184

>>19894010
If you have the novel, post it. Otherwise this is bullshit, they wouldn’t pass around an unpublished novel from as popular of a novelist as McCarthy to Hollywood.

>> No.19902195

How are you in possession of a copy?

>> No.19902219

>>19902195
He isn't.
>>19902184
If they did, it would be under a strict contract where heavy legal action would be taken if you leaked any material. I suggest everyone go on warosu to get the link for this thread. Then email Cormac McCarthy and his team the thread. That way if it's real, OP gets fucked hard.

>> No.19902255

>>19902219
How would they identify him?

>> No.19902278

>>19902219
^ big reddit energy

>> No.19902331

>>19900506
>You have seen 5 Godard films tops.
I wish to watch more, haven't really seen any more recent stuff:

Breathless
Le Mépris
Bande à part
Alphaville
Pierrot le Fou
Masculine -Feminine
Made in U.S.A
Two or Three Things I Know About Her
La Chinoise
Week-end

>> No.19902345

>>19902255
Multi-million dollar corporations definitely have the infrastructure in place to find out. If they did hand out manuscripts, they would stagger the release, which means that OP could be narrowed down to studios. Not to mention OP in thread further narrows down his time of work, which means that if the manuscript was handed out to five studios thus far, and two are based in Cali, then one of those two studios is the culprit, and various execs can put pressure on the top brass to find out which of their interns was fucking around.

>> No.19902389

>>19902345
>>19902255
They wouldn't even have to know who specifically did it. They would just sue whoever was known to have a copy in this timeframe. Once they allege a lawsuit you can bet your ass that the Jewish Hollywood studio will weasel out OP.

>> No.19902390

>>19902345
I doubt op is legit, but he could easily have his writing from this thread compared to copies of his writing from college essays and stuff, only challenge is all college writers write exactly the same... But if op is legit I don't think he should have his life ruined for spilling a few beans, if anything it just makes peopl excited to read the book

>> No.19902417

>>19894409
It is probably the most American of the sexual taboos

>> No.19902420

>>19902390
knowing modern marketing, this could be a trick to drum up some early hype

>> No.19902443

>>19894560
The Kid clearly survived his final encounter with the judge and decided to head east where wound up passing through the loathsome town Innsmouth.

>> No.19902551

>>19902390
If OP is legit he's breaking a contract. If you feel you need to work for jews you should follow their contracts; if you feel you must work for jews and also subvert them, you can do better than making a shitty attempt to build hype like this.

>> No.19902721

>>19902219
No publisher would allow an unpublished work to “go out” to Hollywood folks for consideration. Just not how it works and it’s stupendous to even bother considering.

>> No.19902758

>>19902721
https://www.tracking-board.com/exclusive-cormac-mccarthys-the-passenger-causing-a-stir-on-rights-market/
From 2015

>> No.19902817

>>19902721
Garth Risk Hallberg's City on Fire had its film rights sold 3 and a half months before publication

>> No.19902823

>>19902721
Eh, this happens all the time. Manuscripts of big books go around Hollywood all the time even before publication.

>> No.19902836

>>19902758

Yes, but the actual manuscript...that is surely under lock and key.

>> No.19903069

>>19902758
>>19902817
Selling the film rights before publication does not mean the people who bought the rights get the manuscript or copy of the book before publication. It literally just means they have the exclusive right to make a movie of the book once it is published. Fucking retards.

>> No.19903500

>>19902219
>I suggest everyone go on warosu to get the link for this thread. Then email Cormac McCarthy and his team the thread.
Imagine being such a massive faggot.

>> No.19903513

>>19902551
t. jew

>> No.19903795

>>19902758
>>19902817
>>19902823

Why would a publisher risk literally millions in sales in order to "shop" a novel to Hollywood? Hell, there was an FBI manhunt for that Italian mischief-maker, who was just recently apprehended, for impersonating publishers and stealing unpublished works (and he wasn't even leaking them). Fucking dullards.

>> No.19904103

>>19903500
You're OP and you're literally quaking in your shoes at the prospect of your life being ruined because of this thread. Why do you think OP has seemingly abandoned the thread and not delivered on any of his promises? It's because he knows he's in deep shit and doesn't want to make it worse.

>> No.19904421

>>19903069
Someone's angry...

>> No.19905021

Bump.

>> No.19905352

>>19894010
Fake and gay

SAGE

>> No.19905389

>>19905352
Bump

>> No.19905591

>>19905389
Anti-bump

>> No.19906063

Now I can't wait to see this book and movie... Sheesh!

>> No.19906167

the big publishing mafia got to op…its over folks

>> No.19906691

Bump. Surely you guys have more questions?

>> No.19907229

Bump.

>> No.19907258

>>19906691
>>19907229
Surely you could post a photo or video of these supposed pages you are in possession of? I mean you promised to do it before, but you still haven't delivered...

>> No.19907281

>>19907258
The pages are in a document on my computer, so I'm not sure how I would do that.
>>19901344
They are part of the same generation.

>> No.19907340

>>19907281
the 500 loose-leaf printouts yeeted into your pc? how novel

>> No.19907548

>>19907340
What do you mean?

>> No.19907570

>>19907281
Screenshot or just upload this totally real document you are pretending to be in possession of.

>> No.19908113

>>19907281
If you're OP you just exposed this thread as a LARP. I mean it was already obviously a LARP but whatever.
>>19898919
>>It's 500 pages of looseleaf print outs

>> No.19908254

>>19908113
It's not a LARP, you're all just gullible, and this thread is all the proof I need. Now go back to posting about self-help books.

>> No.19908367

Post the first page and there will be an end to the horror.

>> No.19908589

>>19894444
What a waste of quads

>> No.19908622

>>19894050
>There are interludes where the novel cuts back to the sister (Alice)'s time in a psych ward, where she's visited, I kid you not, by a hallucination of the kid from Blood Meridian reincarnated as a cowboy fishman.
This is so retarded that I am tempted to believe it's true. Why would someone make up such a strange lie?

>> No.19908646

>>19908622
>Why would someone make up such a strange lie?
Cover his tracks? If it's a forgery it's clearly by somebody who's familiar with Whales & Men, which features a rich heir named Western, and he says he hasn't read it. Half of this seems plausible and half of it seems horseshit.

>> No.19908659

When the Counselor leaked fairly early on nobody believed McCarthy would write a scene where a woman fucks a windshield, yet here we are.

>> No.19908905

Bump.

>> No.19909030

>>19908254
>you're all just gullible
I never bought it to begin with. Every single one of my posts has been about how anyone who believes this is retarded.
>>19908905
Stop bumping this shitty thread you stupid nigger faggot.

>> No.19909062

>>19908659
It hasn’t leaked though

>> No.19909076

>>19899070
Don't have to.

>> No.19909411

>>19909030
no :)

>> No.19909413

>>19909030
>I never bought it to begin with.
Literal cope. I tricked you, now go back to dilating.

>> No.19910082

>>19894322
I'm also sensing larp here

>> No.19910136

>>19899336
I also would like a job

>> No.19910151

please stop talking about goddard

>> No.19910151,1 [INTERNAL] 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/08/books/cormac-mccarthy-new-novels.html?smid=tw-share

>> No.19910151,2 [INTERNAL] 

Surely you just drop the whole novel on here and save all our lives like a god!

>> No.19910151,3 [INTERNAL] 

*niggercum