[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.01 MB, 948x1378, cornwell.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19881013 No.19881013 [Reply] [Original]

>pick up one of Cornwell's crusade books (I forget which one)
>Protagonist's best friend is a blond jewish money lender who stope an EVIL bishop and his goons from boiling Jewish children alive
Why is this guy so popular again?

>> No.19881018

>>19881013
a brief aside I literally had someone try and convince me the Cavaliers were the bad guys. no joke.

>> No.19881129

>>19881018
They were.

>> No.19881134

>>19881129
Why?

>> No.19881526

>Reading historical fiction
Ngmi

>> No.19881643

>>19881013
Give the guy a break. He was abandoned by his atheist parents and adopted by two strict fundamentalist Protestants who wouldn’t let him do drugs or have sex as a young boy, which caused a lot of anger towards Christianity in him. Apparently the only books his protestant parents would let him read was the bible and some Christian missionary books.

> His new mother and father were members of a puritanical religious sect who went by the name of the Peculiar People. They considered themselves bound by a literal interpretation of the King James Bible - "My father believed the abridged version to be the devil's work, or even worse, a papist's" - and kept 76 copies in the house. That was 15 copies for each of the five family members. "That's the only thing I'm actually grateful to them for," says Cornwell. "If you're a writer there can be no better basis for prose than the authorised version of the Bible."

> Anything remotely fun was outlawed, but it wasn't just the obvious things that were banned. "A typical story was when I was seven or eight years old and I wrote home from my evangelical boarding school to report that we had black pudding for breakfast," recalls Cornwell. "My father wrote to the headmaster and said, 'In Deuteronomy it says thou shalt not eat the blood of animals, therefore Bernard is not to eat black pudding', which of course was known around the school within a day. Ever since I've eaten black pudding on any occasion I possibly could, because I love the stuff!"

> The young Bernard's reading diet was also strictly controlled. His father - a "great fan of the rod" - caught his son in possession of a copy of Treasure Island and a vicious beating ensued. In addition to the scriptures, he was allowed to read Christian books, and in particular a series called the Missionary Doctor, which were, says Cornwell, "the most racist fucking books you can imagine. The missionary was called Paul and it was all about him going round being jolly nice to the black fellas." Nevertheless, he devoured the whole series. With no television, no mates and even card games banned, what else was there to do?

> As soon as he got the chance, Cornwell upped sticks and went to study in London. There, by his own admission, he "went wild and took on every fucking vice I could". Did he drink loads? "Oh yes!" Take drugs? "Yes!" Have lots of sex? "Absolutely!" Naturally, he ended up as a journalist.

>> No.19881684

>>19881643
>They considered themselves bound by a literal interpretation of the King James Bible - "My father believed the abridged version to be the devil's work, or even worse, a papist's" - and kept 76 copies in the house. That was 15 copies for each of the five family members.
Sounds based

>> No.19881698

>>19881643
>Real stories that totally happened.

>> No.19882032

>>19881643
>wouldn't let him have sex or do drugs as a young boy
Okay.....