[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 312 KB, 500x498, tolkien.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19877709 No.19877709 [Reply] [Original]

>[Tolkien] could laugh at anybody, but most of all himself, and his complete lack of any sense of dignity could and often did make him behave like a riotous schoolboy.

>At a New Year's Eve party in the nineteen-thirties he would don an Icelandic sheepskin hearthrug and paint his face white to impersonate a polar bear, or he would dress up as an Anglo-Saxon warrior complete with axe and chase an astonished neighbour down the road.

>Later in life he delighted to offer inattentive shopkeepers his false teeth among a handful of change. 'I have,' he once wrote, 'a very simple sense of humour, which even my appreciative critics find tiresome.

>> No.19878621

>>19877709
based

>> No.19878861

>>19877709
>dress up as an Anglo-Saxon warrior complete with axe and chase an astonished neighbour down the road.
If you did that today you'd get arrested or tazed.

>> No.19879266

>>19877709
>borges, has made interesting noir short story. the problem, it is short story not a movie. that scum

>> No.19879387
File: 45 KB, 292x400, JCP+druid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A neighbor on John Cowper Powys
>Now there was one strange guy," he said. "Used to walk around in the snow in his bare feet. He'd say he just forgot to put his boots on. And then you'd sometimes see him banging his head on the mailbox. Strange guy."
>Actually, Powys didn't bang his head so much as tap it against the mailbox, a ritual he believed would ensure the safe delivery of a letter. He would also utter lengthy incantations while bathing, and walk exactly the same route every day, bowing to exactly the same trees and stones. One of these stones he named "the god of Phudd." Another he named Perdita. Perdita, he wrote, was "the only daughter I shall ever have"; he once felt obliged to kiss his geologic offspring nine times because his dog had peed on it (her?).

>> No.19879613
File: 14 KB, 300x225, 1585632620929.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19877709
>Joe R. Christopher observes that Nymphs and their Ways is one of the books which appears on Mr. Tumnus's bookcase in Chapter II of The Lion. According to Christopher, Tolkien was bothered by this scene because Lewis was distorting and sentimentalizing the myth ("Narnian Exile" 41). He suggests, "[I]f Lucy had really met a faun--that is, a satyr--the result would have been a rape, not a tea party" (Christopher, C.S. Lewis 111). Hence, the reason Tolkien alludes to The Love-life of a Faun--a book that doesn't actually appear on Mr. Tumnus's bookcase but is absurd all the same. In short, Lewis failed to maintain the mythical archetype of fauns as lustful.

>> No.19879616

>>19877709
Based

>> No.19879624

>>19877709
I don't read authors with autistic personalities.
People on the spectrum can't create art, they can only LARP

>> No.19879664

>>19879624
Kafka is a LARPer?

>> No.19879692

>>19879664
He wasn't autistic no cap

>> No.19879714
File: 134 KB, 800x450, kaiba.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19879692
>no cap

>> No.19879735

>One night while drinking with friends at a party above the American-owned Bounty Bar in Mexico City,[25] a drunk Burroughs allegedly took his handgun from his travel bag and told his wife, "It's time for our William Tell act." There is no indication that they had performed such an action previously.[24] Vollmer, who was also drinking heavily and undergoing amphetamine withdrawal, allegedly obliged him by putting a highball glass on her head. Burroughs shot Vollmer in the head, killing her almost immediately
Not my favorite author but fits the autistic category

>> No.19879770
File: 489 KB, 2496x1664, qanon shaman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19877709
>>19878861
>paint his face white to impersonate a polar bear, or he would dress up as an Anglo-Saxon warrior complete with axe and chase an astonished neighbour down the road.
He would have been arrested with his bro Qanon shaman?

>> No.19880687

tolkien seemed like a genuinely nice man, which seems weirdly rare for writers.

>> No.19880705

>>19879624
Most retarded post of the day.

>> No.19882160

>>19877709
cringe

>> No.19882264

>>19879387
Based Druid baffling the laiety.

>> No.19882311

Did you guys forget about Wittgenstein or what?

>> No.19882332

>>19880687
I love him dearly for that
he's one of the last if not the last non-psychopath in pop culture

>> No.19882871
File: 11 KB, 214x317, Edith_Tolkien.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19877709
>At the age of 16, Tolkien met Edith Mary Bratt, who was three years his senior... "Edith and Ronald took to frequenting Birmingham teashops, especially one which had a balcony overlooking the pavement. There they would sit and throw sugarlumps into the hats of passers-by, moving to the next table when the sugar bowl was empty. ... With two people of their personalities and in their position, romance was bound to flourish. Both were orphans in need of affection, and they found that they could give it to each other. During the summer of 1909, they decided that they were in love."
>His guardian, Father Morgan, considered it "altogether unfortunate"[T 3] that his surrogate son was romantically involved with an older, Protestant woman; Tolkien wrote that the combined tensions contributed to his having "muffed [his] exams".[T 3] Morgan prohibited him from meeting, talking to, or even corresponding with Edith until he was 21. Tolkien obeyed this prohibition to the letter,[33] with one notable early exception, over which Father Morgan threatened to cut short his university career if he did not stop.
>On the evening of his 21st birthday, Tolkien wrote to Edith, who was living with family friend C. H. Jessop at Cheltenham. He declared that he had never ceased to love her, and asked her to marry him.

>I never called Edith Luthien – but she was the source of the story that in time became the chief part of the Silmarillion. It was first conceived in a small woodland glade filled with hemlocks at Roos in Yorkshire (where I was for a brief time in command of an outpost of the Humber Garrison in 1917, and she was able to live with me for a while). In those days her hair was raven, her skin clear, her eyes brighter than you have seen them, and she could sing – and dance. But the story has gone crooked, & I am left, and I cannot plead before the inexorable Mandos.

>> No.19883081

>>19882311
milk is for the pussy

>> No.19883094
File: 245 KB, 671x1024, robert musil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Hans Mayer, the great German-Jewish literary critic, writes in his autobiography Ein Deutscher auf Widerruf how he visited Musil at his home in Switzerland during their emigration. It was 1940, and there was a widespread fear that the Nazis might invade also Switzerland. Musil couldn’t get into the USA, and Mayer was suggesting the relative obtainability of Colombian visas as a pis aller.
>'Musil', he wrote, ‘looked at me askance and said: "Stefan Zweig’s in South America." It wasn’t a bon mot. The great ironist wasn’t a witty conversationalist. He meant it… If Zweig was living in South America somewhere, that took care of the continent for Musil.’ (quoted by Michael Hofmann: Vermicular Dither, London Review of Books, 28. January 2010)

>In the third volume of his autobiography, Elias Canetti describes how he after completion of the manuscript of Die Blendung (Auto-da-fe) in 1931 sent it as a parcel with an accompanying letter to Thomas Mann, hoping that Mann would read it (and possibly recommend it to a publisher). Alas, the parcel came back unopened with a polite letter by Mann, telling the unpublished author that he was not able to read the book due to his work schedule (Mann was working on his multi-volume Joseph novel at that time). The disappointed Canetti put the manuscript aside for a long time, until Hermann Broch arranged a few readings for him in Vienna. One of them was also attended by Musil who allegedly said to Broch: “He reads better than myself.” (Not surprisingly, Canetti was an extremely gifted stage performer in the mould of Karl Kraus.)
>Later on, when the novel was finally published in 1935, Canetti wrote again to Mann, who now – four years later! – congratulated Canetti and wrote also very positively about the novel (which in all probability he hadn’t read except for a few pages). With this letter in his pocket and beaming with self-confidence Canetti was running into Musil one day when Musil brought it about himself to also congratulate Canetti. Not knowing about Musil’s strong antipathy regarding Thomas Mann, Canetti blurted out: “Thank you, also Thomas Mann praises my book!” – to which Musil answered with a short “So…”, turning around and ignoring Canetti for the rest of his life.

>> No.19883100

>>19879624
it is only the separation from society that will drive one to understand it

>> No.19883529

>>19879624
Based and stay-to-the-lesser-part-of-the-autism-spectre-pilled.

>> No.19883597

>your favourite writers
Here's a story about Doctor Johnson. He's not exactly one of my all-time favourites but he's OK.

After the publication of the dictionary, Doctor Johnson became a bit of a celebrity, and found he was often interrupted in his work by people coming to call on him.

The usual thing would be to tell your servant to tell any callers that you were "not at home". However, Johnson didn't want to do that, because even though it was a generally-accepted euphemism in polite society, it was still a LIE, and he didn't want to force his servant to tell a lie.

So he came up with a cunning solution. His house had a back staircase. Whenever he wanted some peace and quiet he would tell his servant loudly "I'm just going out for a while" and leave by the front door. Then he would sneak round the back and go up the back staircase to his room and shut the door and get on with whatever reading or writing he wanted to do. His servant would THINK he was out, so if anyone called, he would say (quite accurately, as he thought), "Doctor Johnson is not at home". The visitor was repelled and the servant's moral character was not degraded.

Well done, Doctor Johnson. You were a fine fellow.

>> No.19883606

>>19877709
Beyond based

>> No.19883614

>>19877709
Tolkien being a devout traditional Catholic resented that the church had begun celebrating mass in English. Hence he would often, in protest, read passages and sing in Latin as loud as he could during mass.

>> No.19883918

>>19882311
It’ll be curtains for you

>> No.19884006

>>19877709
>>19877709
i detest the buzzword and therefore very rarely write it, but
stratospherically based

>> No.19884912

>>19879735
>killing her almost immediately
>almost immediately
>almost
Dear Lord, what a final few moments that must have been. Drunk, midst speed withdrawals and you've just been shot in the head by an overrated degenerate.

>>19882871
:(

The only thing that comes presently to mind is the spectre which frequently haunts various Anons here: Kant! Although I guess everybody knows about him being the pure, physical embodiment of German autism.