[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 358 KB, 500x616, 1282131455047.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1985555 No.1985555 [Reply] [Original]

LAST THREE READS:
CURRENTLY READING:
NEXT THREE:

GENERAL DISCUSSION/RECOMMENDATIONS COOL TOO

LAST THREE:
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - TOLKEIN. DECIDED TO RE-READ THIS SINCE I HADN'T READ THE SERIES SINCE I WAS A KID AND FOUND OUT THAT IT WAS WRITTEN PRE-WW II. NOTHING REALLY TO SAY SINCE EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS

THE ADOLESCENT - DOSTOEVSKY
OFTEN IGNORED COMPARED TO HIS OTHER LONGER TITLES, THE ADOLESCENT TELLS THE TALE OF AN ILLEGITIMATE 19 YEAR OLD. ALTHOUGH IT DOESN'T HAVE THE GRAND PHILOSOPHICAL DISCUSSIONS AKIN TO MANY OF HIS LONGER WORKS, THE COUNTLESS PLOT TWISTS THAT WILL AT TIMES LEAVE YOU FRUSTRATED, JOYFUL AND COUNTLESS OTHER EMOTIONS AS TOLD THROUGH THE (SLIGHTLY OFF) 19 YEAR OLD'S PERCEPTION. CERTAINLY WORTH READING AFTER DEMONS AND THE IDIOT, AS MANY OF DOSTOEVSKY'S CHARACTER TYPES ARE SEEN REPLAYED HERE.

THE JEW OF MALTA - MARLOWE
QUITE A COMICAL PLAY THAT EXPLORES THE THEMES OF ANTISEMITISM AND REVENGE. EVEN FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT AVID READERS OF PLAYWRITES THIS WILL CERTAINLY KEEP YOU GRIPPED, WITH ALL THE BLOODBATH

CURRENT:
CONTINUING MY D'ARTAGNAN ROMANCES WITH TEN YEARS LATER BY DUMAS.

NEXT THREE (SUBJECT TO CHANGE):
IMMENSEE - STORM
THE ISLAND OF DR MOREAU - WELLS
A STUDY IN SCARLET - DOYLE

>> No.1985556

Do you know how strenuous it is to read blocks of capitalized text?

>> No.1985559

>>1985556
>implying capsguy has a shred of decency left in him to care about others
can't wrap my head around why people actually liking him

>> No.1985558
File: 40 KB, 252x323, joyce.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Capsguy, it's been killing me but what is the name of the book where your image originates from?

I remember reading that book as a kid but I can't remember for the life of me.

>> No.1985560

ALSO, I AM TRYING TO GET MORE ESSENTIAL SHORT LITERATURE READ. OTHERS ON MY CURRENTLY READING LIST I'VE RECENTLY PICKED UP ARE
THE ART OF WAR - SUN TZU
THE ART OF LOVE - OVID
THE TRAIN WAS ON TIME - BOLL
THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY - WILDER
A TALE OF A TUB - SWIFT

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4206268-capsguy?shelf=read

THIS IS EVERYTHING I'VE READ IF YOU WANT TO CHECK THAT TOO (PRIOR TO RECOMMENDING)

ALSO, HAS ANYONE HERE READ GARGANTUA AND PANTAGRUEL? IT CERTAINLY SEEMS LIKE IT COULD BE AN INTERESTING READ, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF EVEN I COULD DEAL WITH 1000+ PAGES OF SCAT HUMOUR AND THE LIKE

>> No.1985562

Last Three: Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings
Currently: Mistborn 1
Next Three: Misborn 2 and 3 and then I don't know

>> No.1985565 [DELETED] 
File: 40 KB, 232x338, 1312342004937.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1985556
I love capsguy, seeing this post again brought a big smile to my face.
Why can't you be more like capsguy?
In fact,
WE SHOULD ALL STRIVE TO BE BETTER OURSELVES IN CAPSGUY'S IMAGE.

>> No.1985569

>>1985565
Although I'm sure his posts would often be of interest to me, I can't read anything Capsguy says without contracting a throbbing headache.

>> No.1985574

>>1985560
IT'S AN ADVENTURE STORY BRUH
-THE PADRE 1ST
-THE SON 2ND, ON THE FOUR OTHER LIBROS
THEY RECRUIT A CAST OF CHARACTER'S, INSTITUTIONS ARE MADE FUN OF, RATHER GLORIOUSLY. HERR CODPIECE IS HILARIOUS, BUT HIS OBNOXIOUS PURPOSE ENDS UP GETTING TEDIOUS HALF WAY ON THE FOURTH LIBRO.>>1985560

>> No.1985576

>>1985569
I can read a line or two, no problem. It's the huge fucking blocks of text that are excruciating.

>> No.1985586

>>1985574
IT'S QUITE AN OLD BOOK, HOW DOES IT READ? YOU SEE, I'M NOT THE BEST READER OF POETRY AND OLDER WORKS AT TIMES

>> No.1985594

>>1985586
I READ IT YEARS AGO, IT WAS VERY ACCESSIBLE POR MI, FUNNY AS FUCK BY JUXTAPOSING THE WAY STORIES WERE TOLD WAY BACK WHEN, EVEN IN FRAN-RABZ MEDIEVAL TIME, IE HE SUBTLY >N ELUSIVELY< MAKES FUN OF THE WAY HE PRESENTS THE STORY [U NOW KNOW WHY LAURENCE STERNE HAS SUCH A HARD ON FOR HIM,] GO WITH WHAT HENRY MILLER SAID: IF YE BE LIKING PETRONUS [THE GOLDEN ASS], ARISTOPHANES [THE CLOUDS] AND THE MILLER HIMSELF GO FORTH WITH THE FLACCIDITY OF UNBEKNOWNST PHALLUS'S

>> No.1985597

>>1985594
WELL, WHEN I FINALLY FINISH THE D'ARTAGNAN ROMANCES AND AM LOOKING FOR A DOORSTOPPER TO READ, IT WILL BE UP THERE!

>> No.1985608

>>1985597
FUCK YES MAHNN! NO THOMAS, YOU SHOULD RELISH IN THE WAYS OF THE OLD ONE DAY, FOR I STARTED MI AMOUR OF WRITING ON POETRY, LEADING MY WAY TO PROSE.

>> No.1985612

>>1985569
>>1985565
>hurrrrr this board is better than others we're our own little edgy community and circlejerk each other
now i see why people defend tripfags here

idiots

>> No.1985755

>>1985612
CRY MORE, PLEASE.

>> No.1985771
File: 23 KB, 249x365, 4206268.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This guy's straight as can be. Doesn't get any straighter than capsguy. Capsguy fucks girls, have you heard? Definitely heterosexual. He can't keep count of how many females he's had heterosexual sex with, have you heard?

>> No.1985774

>>1985755
Ah CAPSGUY...

have you read The Audobiography of Tomcat Murr?

I tried and failed. Before starting the book I believed I had a good grasp of english...

>> No.1985775

>>1985771
>doesn't know capsguy is a girl

>> No.1985797

>>1985775

I knew I was getting butch lesbian vibes. Dat fluffy jacket hood should've made me twig on to this earlier.

>> No.1985800

>>1985560
The Train was on Time is one of Boll's worst books. Billiards at Half Past Nine and Group Portrait with Lady are his best two, followed by The Clown and The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum. I've only read them in German so I don't know if the translations are even worth reading.

>> No.1985827

i like these threads, buttry as i might the voice in my head yells every line in caps. even when i force my headvoice to read the text calmly, he's still screaming along in the background

>> No.1985844

WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HOW FUCKING AWESOME I AM WITHOUT USING CAPS?

>> No.1985860

last three:

post office, bukowski
girl with curious hair, dfw
spring torrents, turgenev

current:

cien anos de soledad, marquez

next three:

immediately, a beat up paperback of titus groan someone gave to me. when I get money to buy actual books:

women, bukowski
ham on rye, bukowski
the overcoat and other short stories, gogol.

>> No.1985861

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
The Ego and His Own
The Rebel

Existentialism and Human Emotions
Nausea

The Stranger
TAZ: Temporary Autonomous Zone

>> No.1985870

Last:
>Atwood - Blind Assassin
Amazing. Rich in imagery and those little moments of stark insight of the everyday and the framing of the story is very interesting. Would've read it again, even with its size, if I could.

>Wharton - Ethan Frome
Intense, from the emotion to the landscape, it blended it all together into a good short story. The sleigh accident was awkward and the ending was ambiguous.

>DeLillo - Whie Noise
The first half was very interesting, when it was setting up the characters and the tone, but the actual execution of the second half was disappointing; it felt like it got bogged down by the whole existential crisis, you couldn't get anything else out of it.

Current:
>Ligotti - Teatro Grotesco
This is just a sludge of nice prose but horrible and random "horror". I doubt I'll be able to finish it.

Next:
>Porter - Collected Stories
>Kabir - Songs of Kabir
>Thompson - Fear & Loathing

>> No.1985950
File: 33 KB, 400x400, 1308220851885.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Last three
A Criminal History of Mankind - Colin Wilson
Communist Manifesto - Marx & Engels
Hells Angels - Thompson

>Currently reading
Intimacy - Sartre

>Next three
The Trial - Kafka
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Hemmingway
The Nature of Alexander - Mary Renault

>> No.1985984

Last three, starting with most recent:
A Dance with Dragons, George R. R. Martin
The Judging Eye, R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought, R. Scott Bakker

Current: The White-Luck Warrior, R. Scott Bakker

Next three: No idea. I've read all of Bakker this summer, so I'll probably pick something that's not fantasy. Some historical novel maybe.

I've really enjoyed reading Bakker. He has an uncanny ability to convey human emotions and making his characters act and feel real, especially in his latest books, even if the setting and overarching story are rather fantastical.

>> No.1985995

Last 3:
Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake
A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
The Metamorphoses by Ovid

Current:
Haven't decided yet. Just finished Portrait earlier today.

Next 3:
Probably:
For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

>> No.1986005

Last three:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords

Currently reading:
A Feast for Crows

Next three:
A Dance with Dragons
Catch-22
Cat's Cradle

>> No.1986015

LAST THREE READS:

The Metamorphosis - Kafka
Ghosts - Paul Auster
City of Glass - Paul Auster

CURRENTLY READING:

The Green House - MVL

NEXT THREE:

I don't know yet. I usually plan quite a bit in advance, but not this time.

>> No.1986027

Last three:

A Farewell to Arms - Hemingway
Heart of Darkness - Conrad
The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway

Current:

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller - Calvino

Next Three:

Kafka on the Shore - Murakami
The Sun Also Rises - Hemingway
Great Apes - Will Self

Not including non-fiction.

>> No.1986046

>>1985555
not capsguy but here you go pal

>> No.1986048
File: 57 KB, 380x475, capsforsale.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1986046
woops forgot the picture

>> No.1986059

Last Three: Storm of Swords - George RR Martin
A Dance of Dragons - George RR Martin
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

Currently Reading: A Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass - Frederick Douglass

Next Three: The Book of Daniel - E.L. Doctorow
Middlemarch - George Eliot
Kidnapped! - Robert Louis Stevenson

>> No.1986070
File: 10 KB, 244x200, 1311055537001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1986048
>>1986048

Wow, I was beginning to just give up!

Many thanks Anon!

>> No.1986072

>>1986005

are you me?

>> No.1986090

Previously:
A Canticle For Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller Jr. Nothing much to say that hasn't been said before I guess, but I liked it. I'm not sure I got all the theological references though.
Scary/No Scary - Zachary Schomburg. Very surreal poetry sort of thing. It basically reads like he's just describing his dreams most of the time, but if that doesn't put you off I found it very affecting.
The Virgin Suicides - I do have a bit of a soft spot for stories with unusual narrators, though here it's clearly not just some kind of gimmick. It fits in pretty much perfectly the whole gossipy-neighbourhood setting. It took me a few chapters to fully realise that there wasn't actually a first-person character who was friends with all these named boys who actually did things. (questionable spoiler usage here because I enjoyed figuring that out myself, and I quite liked going into the book knowing nothing about anything outside the first paragraph.)

Currently:
Infinite Jest: actually really enjoying this so far, it's been a while since I've had to really dedicate attention to a book to this extent but I'm definitely getting rewarded for it. Take a drink every time he uses the word "putative".
and some book of plays by Tennessee Williams.

Next three probably:
The Man Suit - Zachary Schomburg
Deathbird Stories - Harlan Ellison
The Lathe of Heaven - Ursula Le Guin

>> No.1986125

>>1985559
maybe it's because he doesn't make troll comics and post them every day

>> No.1986315

>>1985774
I read Murr a few weeks back. I didn't really enjoy it but I'm not big of german romanticism, I was just lured by the cat as narrator gimmick. if you fall in the same category you may want to look up Natsume Soseki's I Am A Cat. It was inspired by Murr but comes without the breaks in character narration and without the romanticism. After the first chapters - where obvious cheap jokes about cats and their views are made - it turns to social observation and comedy. Would probably help if you knew Japanese culture but I found it pleasant enough without much background knowledge if a bit long. also sad ending in case that matters.

>> No.1986329

>>1986315
Forgot my list
>last
Moby Dick - hadn't read it since high school. found it immensely more enjoyable after reading a lot of shakespeare and even made peace with the presence of the cetology chapters

Way of All Flesh - Samuel Butler - truly wonderful sweeping vision and gentle but firm indictment of 19th century/victorian culture, especially religious and child-rearing. great read for anyone who at all dislikes people who argue for or against religion to excess.

Kafka's 'other' short stories - not a huge kafka fan to begin with but many of did nothing at all for me. Penal Colony is the only one i can recommend wholeheartedly

>current
Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh - one of my absolute favorite novels. anyone who reads it should also watch the bbc series

What Maisie Knew - Henry James - interesting tale of a little girl with divorced and fighting parents and step-parents whose vision of life gradually matures over the course of the novel. apparently a critical favorite of james' but not mine.

>next
?

>> No.1986346

last 3: Finnegans Wake, Critical Essays on Dubliners edited by Clive Hart, 11 Minutes (Paulo Coelho)
current: Ezra Pound: The Last Rower (Heymann), La Commedia, Ficciones (Borges)
next: Candide, The Golden Lotus, Los detectives salvajes

>> No.1986356

>>1985771

This picture is the actual capsguy, he goes on webcam in the /lit/ tinycat sometimes.

>> No.1987213

VERY RARELY THESE DAYS THOUGH

>> No.1987252
File: 25 KB, 234x372, tp_gravitys.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All recommendations welcomed, even ones not based on what I've written. I'll try reading virtually anything.

Last three:
Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
>possibly my favourite book as of now, the character of the Judge just blew me away to the point where it doesn't even feel fair to try and discuss him. I expect the final scene of him dancing is going to be branded into my mind for a long time

Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men
>Great, not as good as above though, found it even better than the film but had a hard time adjusting to the prose and lack of apostrophes and quotation marks

Lois Lowry - The Giver
>decent overall, great for a book for teenagers

Currently:
Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Next three:
Thomas Pynchon - V
Don DeLillo - Underworld
Don DeLillo - White Noise

>> No.1987260

>>1987252
Hey Tourist, stick with GR, it gets easier as it progresses.

Wait till you get to Byron the Bulb.

>> No.1987268

>>1987252
THAT'S SOME MODERN STUFF THERE

GOOD JOB TOURIST

>> No.1987285
File: 9 KB, 180x132, Pynchon-Simpsons-001[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1987260
The first time I tried it I ended up putting it down after fourteen pages or so just because I wanted to read something shorter, but I hope to stay with it this time. I'm already a fan of the author's style so it shouldn't be a problem.

>>1987268
Thanks I guess? If you want to recommend me some non-modern literature I'd give it a shot.

>> No.1987289

>>1987268

Pynchon isn't modern.

>> No.1987290

>>1986048
For some reason I feel like I've read this book before...is it a children's book?

>> No.1987296

>>1987289
MODERN IN REGARDS TO IT BEING RECENT, NOT THE NAME OF THE PERIOD OF LITERATURE.

>>1987285
I DON'T REALLY READ NON-FIC, SORRY BRO

>> No.1987303

Past Three

Dubliners by James Joyces - First James Joyce, a bunch of friends keep recommending him to me, but I don't have steady work and this was his cheapest book. It was excellent, I enjoyed his prose and the individual stories were fascinating. Can't wait to read more James Joyce. When I get more money.

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton - Possibly my favourite book. A reread and well deserved.

A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry - I don't really like reading plays, so this one was a mix up for me, but it was excellently written and I hit the point where I just started imagining it and reading at novel pace.

Current

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Next Three

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brunte
Paradise Lost by John Milton
Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut

>> No.1987300

>>1987296
I'll read anything, I don't think I asked for non-fiction though, I just said non-modern.

>> No.1987310

>>1987296

>MODERN IN REGARDS TO IT BEING RECENT, NOT THE NAME OF THE PERIOD OF LITERATURE.

Contemporary. The word we use is contemporary.

>> No.1987313

>>1986315
Ah anon thanks.. it is on my wishlist, that is why I got over it, because it was like trudging through mud, well most of the time

>> No.1987322

>>1987310
BUT SAYING IT IS MODERN ISN'T WRONG EITHER.

>>1987300
I GUESS I SAW THE 'NON-' FOLLOWED BY 'LITERATURE' AND ASSUMED THE MIDDLE WORD WOULD BE FICTION?

IF YOU ENJOY AUTHORS WHO EMPLOY MODERN WRITING TECHNIQUES (JOYCE, FAULKNER ETC) OR DOSTOEVSKY, I SINCERELY RECOMMEND PETERSBURG BY BELY.

>> No.1987327

>>1987285
>>1987252
Mason & Dixon is Pynchon's best, imo. If you ever get burnt out on post-modern lit, I would highly recommend Tolstoy's novella Hadji Murad. 120 pages of the best of Tolstoy.

Glad you liked Blood Meridian.

>> No.1987328
File: 9 KB, 252x150, turtle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1987322
Sounds interesting, any preferred translation?

>> No.1987336
File: 6 KB, 233x251, sanic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1987327
I've heard so much about Mason & Dixon, definitely looking forward to reading it eventually. Never tried Tolstoy though, might run with that next actually since it's so short.

>>1987322
And actually I've never read Faulkner, the only Joyce I've read is "The Dead" from Dubliners and the only Dostoevsky is The Idiot but I only got 2/3 into it before I got tired of it, been meaning to make a second attempt at that.

>> No.1987337

>>1987328
Pevear & Volokhonsky, it's part of their Death of Ivan Illyich and other short stories compilation.

>> No.1987340

>>1987328
I READ ELSWORTH'S, WHICH HAPPENS TO BE THE MOST RECENT OF TRANSLATIONS.

>> No.1987345

Last three: dance with dragons - what can I say that hasn't already been said? for the record I'm positive jon is rhaegars son and will get revived, and is AA reborn

Blood Meridian: Favorite book ever. If you haven't read it, go read it. It's good.

No country for old men: Decent book but the movies superior.

Currently reading: Blood Meridian for a second time, since I didn't fully understand the book.

Next three: Paradise lost, Moby dick, still deciding on next one

>> No.1987344

>>1987336
>>1987336
You should really finish The Idiot, as the best part is the ending, and it's one of the best endings I've read.

>> No.1987357

VEINTE POEMAS DE AMOR Y UNA CANCIÓN DESESPERADA - PABLO NERUDA

CORPO - CARLOS DRUMMOND DE ANDRADE

THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA - HEMINGWAY

>> No.1987368

>>1987345
Moby-Dick, especially after reading Blood Meridian. But Paradise Lost makes sense as well, but Moby-Dick is way more fun.

>> No.1987375
File: 29 KB, 490x399, omgdlsghssaghsdigs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1987337
>>1987340
Thanks.

>>1987344
Will do, eventually.

>> No.1987431
File: 117 KB, 800x400, 1300338367617.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1987336
Your pic reminded me of this...

Anyway, Last Three:
Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Currently Reading:
A Clash of Kings by G.R.R.M.
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (probably going to drop this; I thought it would be a nice quick read but I cannot bring myself to give a shit about any of the characters)

Next Three:
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
A Storm of Swords by G.R.R.M.
The Idylls of the King by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

>> No.1987518

>>1987431
IF YOU READ THE THREE MUSKETEERS, DON'T CONTINUE. IT FEELS LIKE IT WILL NEVER END

>> No.1987641

>>1987268
Very good "modern" stuff. Blood Meridian and Gravity's Rainbow, V. all great. Gravity's Rainbow is possibly the greatest novel of the 20th century, definitely top 10.

>> No.1987670

Slaughter house five Vonnegut
The Great Gatsby Fitzgerald
Ham on Rye Bukowski

Gravity's Rainbow Pynchon
Post Office Bukowski
Why I Write Orwell

All The Kings Men Warren
Jane Eyre Bronte
Ender's Game Card

>> No.1987690

>>1987303
Give me your email, I'll send you whatever Joyce book you'd like if you give me time. Monthly I find copies of Ulysses, Portrait and the collection of his works for under $5, sometimes $1, I'll send it to you for free because it's quality literature.

>> No.1987691

last 3:
The Black Dahlia
Misery
Pet Sematary

currently reading:
Blood Meridian

next 3 reads:
All the Pretty Horses
The Crossing
Cities of the Plain

>> No.1987703

>>1987690

jwhite811@hotmail.com

>> No.1987712

>last 3
children of men, forgot others
>currently reading
crime and punishment, doors of perception
>next three
not sure yet, maybe anna karenina

>> No.1987993

>>1987703
Prepare for plenty of porn site sign-ups

>> No.1988000 [DELETED] 

>mfw when he gives his e-mail out on 4chan directly and not by going somewhere else and giving it there

>> No.1987999

Last 3: A Clockwork Orange, Crime and Punishment, Riddley Walker
Current: On The Road
Next 3: The Subterraneans, 100 Years of Solitude... something be Kafka, dunno.

>> No.1988013

>>1988000
honestly the guy hasn't even replied and I told him I could ship him a copy of Ulysses this month. Prolly not even a real addy, but who gives a damn, Brownbear once gave his email out here eh?

>> No.1988020

>>1988013
BB fled the board in terror when Anon found out and posted BB's full name and location.

>> No.1988029

>>1988020
If by "found out" you mean "he told everyone on ti_ny ch_at" then yes.

>> No.1988030

>>1988020
HE ALWAYS WAS SUCH A PUSSY, REMEMBER WHEN HE'D ALWAYS GO ON ABOUT HIS MUAY-THAI SKILLS?

>> No.1988078

JUST FINISHED TEN YEARS LATER

REALLY STARTING TO SLIP AWAY FROM WHAT YOU'D EXPECT FROM A CONTINUATION OF THE THREE MUSKETEERS, WITH THIS BEING ALMOST ENTIRELY SITUATED AROUND COURT INTRIGUE WITH LITTLE SWASH BUCKLING OR EVEN VISITATIONS FROM THE THREE MUSKETEERS AND D'ARTAGNAN

THANKFULLY ALL I HAVE LEFT IS LOUISE DE LA VALLIERE AND THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK, AND I'LL BE DONE WITH THE D'ARTAGNAN ROMANCES. I HOPE IT PICKS UP AGAIN THOUGH.

STARTING IMMENSEE NOW, NEVER READ ANYTHING BY STORM, SO SHOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE HIS TAKE ON THE SHORT STORY/NOVELLA

>> No.1988087

>>1988078
be ready for more court intrigue in louise. in fact i don't recall anything from the novel but court intrigue. but iron mask is better fortunately, not as good as the original but a good deal more exciting than the other sequels.

>> No.1988093

>>1988087
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SERIOUSLY, THAT SUCKS. OH WELL, IT'LL BE OVER SOON.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED, COULD YOU PERHAPS RECOMMEND ME STUFF BASED OFF OF WHAT I'M CURRENTLY READING?

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4206268?shelf=currently-reading

OTHERWISE YOU COULD JUST CLICK THE 'READ' TAB TO SEE WHAT I'VE PREVIOUSLY READ TOO, OR SEARCH THE AUTHOR(S) NAME TO SEE IF I'VE READ ANYTHING BY HIM

>> No.1989998

LAST THREE:
THE LAKE OF THE BEES - STORM
TEN YEARS LATER - DUMAS
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - TOLKEIN

CURRENT:
A STUDY IN SCARLET - DOYLE

NEXT THREE:
THE ISLAND OF DR MOREAU - WELLS
A TALE OF A TUB - SWIFT
GERMINAL - ZOLA

RECOMMENDATIONS APPRECIATED ETC.

>> No.1990009

>>1989998
Try reading something by J. G. Ballard sometime.

>> No.1990012

>>1990009
HE WRITE ANYTHING PRE 1950? :D

>> No.1990040

>Last 3
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat - Oliver Sacks
Fictions - Jorge Luis Borges
The Trial - Franz Kafka
>Currently Reading
God Bless You Mr Rosewater - Kurt Vonnegut
>Next 3
God Knows - Joseph Heller
The Code of The Woosters - P.G. Wodehouse
The Man Who Was Thursday - G.K. Chesterton

>> No.1990055

>>1989998
If you read anything contemporary, Capsguy, I'd recommend some Sebald, like Austerlitz. Feels like it could have been written 100 years ago but also not.

>> No.1990562

>>1990055
WILL BE A LONG TIME BEFORE THEN MY FRIEND

>> No.1990596

last three; the ground beneath her feet (rushdie), in the winter dark (winton) dharma bums (kerouac).

the rushdie one was really good and clever and all that but quite tedious. the others were somewhat gay but not without their charm

current: go down moses (faulkner). loving it so far.

next three: tinkers (paul harding), harpun and the sea of stories (rushdie) and maybe gravity's rainbow.

>> No.1990609

>>1990562

Read some more Maugham. Moon in Sixpence, Razor's Edge or Of Human Bondage.

>> No.1990616

>>1990609
I WAS THINKING OF STAYING AWAY FROM ENGLAND FOR A BIT.

YEAH YEAH, I KNOW I HAVE DOYLE AND WELLS, BUT THEY'RE PRETTY ESSENTIAL AND ENTRY-LEVEL STUFF THAT I REALLY NEED TO READ AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THAT AND BOTH THE BOOKS I HAVE ON THERE BY THEM ARE SHORT AS.

>> No.1990626
File: 11 KB, 256x256, engl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1990616
Why do you hate the English? Because they are your more classy cousins? Don't be jealous.

>> No.1990654
File: 11 KB, 194x300, Selected_Stories_of_Shen_Congwen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

LAST THREE READS:
>Exercises in Style by Raymond Queneau
>Closely Watched Trains by Bohumil Hrabal
>Border Town by Shen Congwen

CURRENTLY READING:
>Selected Stories of Shen Congwen
>Outlaws of the Marsh by Shi Nai'an

NEXT THREE:
>Selected Stories by Robert Walser
>Nadja by Andre Breton
>The Golem by Gustav Meyrink

>> No.1990661

>>1990626
NO NO NO, NOT AT ALL. JUST THINK ABOUT IT, I'VE READ A LOT OF RUSSIAN AND SOME JAPANESE LITERATURE. LET'S START MOVING WEST! WHICH IS WHY I'M PICKING UP SOME GERMAN, FRENCH AND OTHER STUFF NOW