[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 39 KB, 249x400, StormFront_Hardcover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1981647 No.1981647 [Reply] [Original]

Opinions? Good? Bad?
Worth reading?

>> No.1981686

Yes. Very pulpy and not the pinnacle of literature; but yeah, definitely worth a read-through.

>> No.1981737

>>1981686
They get better as the story moves along of course. Butchers writing gets better and the story starts picking up around the third or fourth book.

>> No.1981798

OP here.
I'm currently listening to James Marsters reading this. I'd gotten a generally good impression before but it seems rather... juvenile... so far.

>> No.1981809

>>1981798
That's because the idea essentially came out of Butcher's "Intro to Creative Writing" class that he enrolled in at some community centre. Storm Front is a juvenile novel. If memory serves me correct, there's a big upswing in writing in the second book, and only gains momentum from thereon. The two most recent books in the series have been fantastic, in my opinion.

>> No.1981818

>>1981809
I'll take it to mean that i should stick with it for a few more books.

>> No.1981984

>>1981798

The series does get a lot better, and picks up seriously in books 3 and 4. Also, Marster's voice acting gets better and his female voices become tolerable.

>> No.1981997

>and his female voices become tolerable.
This is good news.

>> No.1982003

Entertaining, and gets better as it progresses.

>Harry Houdini Copperfield Potter Dresden

>> No.1982041

>>1981997

Yea, in Storm Front/Fool Moon you can sorta tell he's never done audio books before. By the time that Turn Coat or White Knight comes around, James Marsters IS Harry. And the audiobooks are worth it just because he will occasionally toss in his Spike voice.

>> No.1982141

>occasionally toss in his Spike voice.
Even more good news.

>> No.1982458

>>1981809

the same, Changes and Ghost Story were great. The only thing that I can complain about Butcher's writing this far in his career is that none of the characters seem to use profanity right.
There are times when characters are talking, and the situation certainly warrants a good "fuck" or "shit", but all we get is "freaking". Calling yourself a "freaking wizard" at a climactic point in the story does not do you justice. It makes you sound like a 15 year old.

>> No.1983414

>>1982458
Agreed. Though I do like how Harry seems to have gained a great deal of patience and wisdom with the latest book. It makes for a great sense of progression for the overall series other than his power level continually going up.

>> No.1983417

The story behind Stormfront is pretty great.

Butcher's teacher kept wanting him to use some weird character creation formula for his stories, and Butcher thought it would make them horribly trite and cliched. Finally, he just did it to get her to shut up about it and prove how awful a story like that would be.

That story was Storm Front.

>> No.1983464

>>1983417
I'm not not through the book yet, but i think Butcher was right.

>> No.1983488

I'm in doubt.

On /lit/ this series is praised, and it sounds pretty cool. But everyone else I've heard talking about it says it's complete crap and rapes its genre..